Lanayru Mining Facility [Squishy Panther] [COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Blonde Panther, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Lanayru Mining Facility
    -Idris Johansson, Hylian Wiseass and Spellcaster (1/5/3 Hylian) [Squishy] Reward: Blizzard.
    -Laurel Veranius, The Noble Prodigy (2/5/2 Hylian) [Blonde Panther] Reward: Shock Enchantment, +10 Rupees.
    Ambient music

All day, the skies had been overcast. The winds had picked up early in the morning and not died down all day, either, making for a very grey and gloomy-seeming day. Yet, the winds were not overly strong and no torrent had poured down from the clouds, so on the outskirts of Hyrule Castle Town, the sound of a horse's hooves was very clearly audible over the din of the wind.

Laurel had donned her mantle and climbed onto Marich's back, setting out for an abandoned mine in the Northern Hills. From what she had read, this 'Lanayru Mining Facility' had once, long ago, been used to gather a resource called 'Timeshift Stones.' However, it had long since been abandoned, closed up, even, following some sort of landslide. Still, in its heyday it had been home to a lot of machinery ran by electricity magic, and if her sources were to be believed there could still be traces of said magic in the mine. Well, Laurel thought to herself as she dismounted her steed, it's as good a place as I'm going to find to learn to bind electricity.

There was an old, decrepit shelter in a corral with a rotten fence near what she assumed to be the entrance, and with Marich's reins in one hand, she used her other hand to test it. The wood that was still actually standing seemed solid enough. As long as the stallion didn't kick it or try to bite pieces off of it, she believed it would make for a fine place for him to stay sheltered from the wind and any rain that might fall after she went in.

Seeing a blunt hook in the corner of the shack, she removed Marich's tack and hung the bridle on it, putting the saddle under it. Marich immediately ran off, jumping and bucking his pent-up energy off of him, but didn't try to jump or kick the fence. Smiling, she turned around to the cave entrance that vaguely had 'Lanayru' engraved on a rusty bronze plate above the opening. "Well..." she said, drawing her rapier and concentrating on warmth, "Let's make a light and get going, then."
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Idris sighed and kicked a rock. After the fiasco at the ball, his parents had cast him out of town until things would've calmed down a little. It wasn't exactly exile, but his parents had made him very clear it was for the better if he stayed out of town for quite some time. Except that no one told him exactly how long he had to stay out. He guessed he'd hear something once he was allowed back home, or perhaps not, it wasn't really like getting back to his family was one of his top priorities.

In the meantime he had been aimlessly wandering around Northern Hyrule, looking for interesting spells and places, but finding few of both. Eventually he had reached the northern hills, where there once had been a large mining facility. It was closed now, but most of the place was still intact. As long as he wouldn't meet any ruin-maniacs like last time, exploring the mines could be a good way to kill time.

When he approached the entrance, he stopped dead in his tracks. There was someone else at the entrance. The horse was already a dead giveaway, but he was pretty sure he saw someone entering the derelict mines. He desperately hoped it wasn't that pesky archaeologist again...

Idris paused for another few seconds, before brusquely stepping into the dark cave, summoning a small flame in his hand to light his way, following after the unknown figure.
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Laurel entered the mine after binding the essence of flame to her sword, but the light that came off of it wasn't as bright as she had hoped. she barely saw the floor she walked on, let alone the walls around her. At least it spread some degree of warmth, she supposed, and she made a mental note that the Fire Enchantment was offensive in nature, meant to burn through enemies and flammable materials the blade touched rather than making it serve as a torch.

She gasped when she heard something behind her, and she turned around, holding her dimly red-glowing sword out front of her. Behind her, holding a small flame that spread more light than seemed natural, stood a very well-dressed man. He was obviously of a station similar, if not equal, to her own, and if the flame as well as her magic senses were any indicator, he was a scholar or at least user of magic like her. "Who are you?" she asked, neither lowering her blade nor dispelling the fire on it.
  4. Squishy

Idris looked the young woman over for a few seconds before answering. She looked like someone out of a noble, or at least a rich family, with fine clothes and a finely crafted -glowing- blade. So she was some sort of spellcaster as well. He couldn't say he recognised her from any of the parties or balls in Castle Town, but then again, he'd rarely given any of the people at such occasions so much as a glance.

"I could ask the same of you." Idris sneered, eyeing her raised weapon. She wasn't the feared archaeologist, but he wasn't sure if she was going to be much better. Getting a threatening look and a weapon raised at him wasn't exactly what one could call a good start.

"Haven't your parents taught you it's rude to raise your weapon to someone who is unarmed?"
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Laurel was slightly surprised to get a sneer in return instead of an answer, and she muttered to herself, "You little arrogant..." before retaking control of herself. "Do not insult my intelligence, good sir," she said, more audible. "The flame in your hands, as well as your aura, gives you away. You are a spellcaster; you are never unarmed."

She kept her sword where it was, but slowly, realisation began to dawn upon her. "Wait a minute... dear Mother Nayru," she muttered. "You're one of Johansson's heirs, aren't you?" She knew who Lord Idris was, of course; born as the only male heir to a house rich with offspring. According to her mother's logic, he should be desperate for a wife, and thus she had pushed Laurel forward to Lord Johansson many times. However, although Laurel had seen him on formal occasions every so often, one thing was clear: Her mother was dead wrong. Judging from the way Lord Idris treated his peers, indiscriminate of gender, told Laurel that he was most decidedly not looking for a wife.

She hadn't seen him in a little while though, and not because she had been buried in scholarly affairs. "Weren't you involved with that debacle with the bombing the other week..?" she muttered, clearly audible. It was just a rumour- but a rumour that had been repeated many times over in the noble circles. Laurel had some degree of confidence in distinguishing bogus from rumours worth remembering, and this one had been... interesting.
  6. Squishy

That was not what Idris had expected. First of all he had not expected the woman to know who he was, though now he saw her more clearly he vaguely recognised her from somewhere, but he had definitely not expected the rumour about the bombing to spread so quickly.

Then again, an exploding mansion was bound to make people talk.

"How... you..." Idris started, slightly startled by the question. "Well, that blue hair, your magic... you must be a Veranius, aren't you?" He vaguely remembered his mother pointing her out at various occasions, and though he had never paid a lot of attention to anyone, he did know most of the noble houses in Castle Town and traits than ran in their families. "You were correct in guessing my name, but I can assure you I had nothing to do with that bombing. I was simply a victim like the others, just slightly luckier." The last part came out snappier than he had meant, but he didn't really feel like discussing the matter with a total stranger. "It wasn't my fault that the whole place blew up."

He noticed the woman still had her weapon raised, and while it was true what she said about him never being unarmed, it still unnerved him a little.

"Now, are you going to keep that thing in my face forever? I can assure you I won't hurt you, unless you give me a reason to."
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    When she found herself identified and her own suspicions confirmed, Laurel finally lowered her rapier upon being asked to. Those of House Veranius were well-known to be gifted sorcerers- and even if their feats were often a little exaggerated, they would be enough to give another noble pause before he'd try magically attacking one. "I am," she said, confirming his assertion. "I am Laurel, Lady Arianna's youngest." She didn't know if she bought his story about not being involved with the bombing, but she would leave it at that; he had something she needed.

"I'm here in hopes of learning new magic. If you have so much free time on your hands that you can afford to pay a visit to this backwater, abandoned, and poorly-maintained mine, then I'm sure you can spare a moment to give me a light. The floor here is treacherous and I won't find what I'm looking in the first ten feet of the first shaft."
  8. Squishy

At least the sword was down now, plus Idris now knew the woman's name.

"Hm. I wouldn't exactly call it 'free time'..." He looked at Laurel with narrowed eyes and a disapproving look around his lips. "I'll light the way, but I'm not your personal servant. You're in luck that I want to see these mines for myself."

He stepped past Laurel, walking deeper into the cavernous entrance. The floor was indeed dangerous to walk on without a light, as it was uneven and strewn with rocks and pebbles, which made Idris glad to have his magic. Even with the small flame it was still a tricky path, so he could only progress slowly.

"If you want a light you'd better follow me."
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    She was always in luck. Idris lit her way, and as she had expected, the ground was so uneven that without light, she would likely have fallen several times. She followed behind him, dropping the enchantment on her sword, but after a few minutes of walking in silence, she saw a different light source. Now excited, she pulled her skirt up ever so slightly, and ran forward... only to arrive at a scene both wonderful, alien, and melancholic.

The Lanayru Mining Facility made no secret of its purpose. All over the place was alien machinery, long since fallen silent as the magic powering it had run out, ladders to get around, and railways to get the precious TImeshift Stones to the outside. Laurel now realized that she and Idris had walked over just one such railway, long since disintegrated from lack of use, its territory reclaimed by nature. Between machines, maintenance paths, and ladders, sand had piled up.

To Laurel's disappointment, however, she didn't sense any magic. Maybe she had to go deeper in?
  10. Squishy

Idris raised his eyebrows in surprise at the sight.

He had expected a dark and dank cavern filled with dirt and rust, but not this. Even now, ages after the machines had stopped, they seemed new and modern, as if they belonged to a much more advanced civilization. What they saw now, however, was but a shadow of the mine's former glory, as the eerie silence and thick layers of dust covering everything attained to.

It seemed unlikely to find any form of magic here, though Idris didn't voice this thought, as he knew from last time that ruins could hide surprising secrets. There was the history of Timeshift Stones being mined here... If he remembered, correctly, they were capable of manipulating time through a certain magic. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that he'd somehow visit the past.

"So. Any idea where to find your magic yet?"
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Shht," Laurel said, holding up one hand as an additional signal that he had to be quiet. She didn't sense any magic that required her concentration, but she thought she'd heard something... And sure enough, the moment she took another step forward, something popped up from underneath the sand. It resembled a large, spherical, yellow toad, although she couldn't be certain because half its body was still submerged in the sand as though it was water. It looked at her with black pupils stuck directly onto stalks,as if it was waiting for her to do something. When she stepped back, the beast hopped up and spat something at her...

A ball of electricity.

"That's it!" she exclaimed, "That's proof there's still power here!" She dodged the ball, leaping forward to run her rapier through the monster's forehead. As she came close, however, the amphibian dove back under the sand, dodging the sword. And that wasn't the worst part- as she looked back, Laurel realized she had sunk into the sand up to her ankles. Quicksand. Great.
  12. Squishy

Oh dear, quicksand.

Idris groaned as he saw his companion get stuck in the sand, after she had tried to attack a monster. Didn't the woman know that these sort of places were often filled with traps?

For a moment he doubted between letting Laurel solve this by herself, but then he decided against it, seeing as that would slow them down in exploring this place, or stopping them completely if things got out of hand. He sighed, then started undoing the sash around his waist.

"First of all, stay calm and stay still. Moving'll only make you sink in faster."

Idris streched the sash a little to test its strength, then looked at Laurel again.

"When I throw it, you catch, and I'll pull, okay? On the cout of three... One. Two. Three!"
  13. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Laurel froze in place when Idris told her to remain calm and remain still. She KNEW that panicking while stuck in quicksand was a bad idea, of course, but actually staying calm was easier said than done. She inhaled deeply, trying to calm her nerves, and reached towards the sash that Idris tossed towards her. Fortunately she hadn't sunk away too far- only up to about her calves. With her fellow noble's help, the blue-haired enchantress found her way out of the danger and quickly got back to her feet.

"The point stands," she said before Idris could call her out on her recklessness. "That beast was using electricity magic, which is what I'm looking for. In order or that thing to use it, it has to have been influenced by some remainder of the magic that flowed here in ancient times and powered these machines." There was still some power here... she hadn't been mistaken. "If only we could somehow access the ancient flows," she muttered. "We came three hundred years too late... if only..."
  14. Squishy

"...Right. Just don't run off like that. It'd be a shame if I had to tell your parents their daughter got ripped to pieces." Idris said dryly. He was about to turn around, but the last thing Laurel said caught his attention.

He had managed to travel in time before, with that pesky archaeologist, but then it had been the Temple of Time, and these were just some old mines. Though perhaps... Maybe if he focused on it, he would be able to tell if there was any sign of the magic that had been in the temple.

Idris fastened the sash back around his waist, gestured for Laurel to be silent and closed his eyes. He tried to remember how the magic in the temple ruins had felt, and if he felt anything similar in this place. He picked up something faint, but there definitely was something here, not far from them.

He opened his eyes again, a small smirk playing around his lips as he turned to his fellow noble.

"Perhaps there is some way of going back into the past. Follow me."

Focusing on the feeling, Idris started off into the dark, lighting his way with a small flame in his hand, until they reached a most peculiar carved stone. The magic seemed to be coming from it, but as Idris looked at it, it didn't seem to do anything special. Last time he didn't have to do anything to cause the shift in time, though perhaps he had been wrong and the magic was too weak to still work. He brushed a hand over the stone, he did have a small idea of what might work...

"Say, could you perhaps try hitting it?"
  15. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "I most definitely could." Laurel had followed Idris blindly, trusting his confidence and figuring that she DID owe him her life. She could bitch at him later. Seeing the small, blue stone in its red metal, rusted-over pedestal did rouse her magic senses even further, and her scholarly nature sprang to life as well as she whipped out her rapier. "In fact, I think I shall." She lashed out once, a good portion of the blade clanging loudly on the rock. The sound echoed through the room ominously, but that was not what made Laurel step back.

The Timeshift Stone was a marvelous, breath-taking material when brought to life. The moment the enchantress' sword hit it, it glowed a much lighter blue and propelled itself into the air slowly, hovering about an inch above its pedestal. More impressive, however, was what it did to their environments. From the location of the stone, a light blue border seemed to spread across the room. Everywhere it passed, rust disappeared from the walls, quicksand disappeared into thin air, and machinery came to life as though it had never stopped. The entire process took less than a minute. A minute after which the Lanayru Mining Facility had come to life, with loud noises and almost alien sights.

But most of all, Laurel noted to her great satisfaction, the sensation of the Electricity magic was much stronger now. "Yes!" She said, springing up in a most unladylike display of almost childish enthusiasm. "I knew it! This is THE place to learn it! Come on, Lord Johansson! We have much to explore!" With that, she seized his wrist with the hand that she didn't use to hold her rapier, and dragged him off towards a ladder. She figured that from the ledge that it led to, they could oversee the room a bit better and work out a plan.
  16. Squishy

So he had been right about the stone. It was slightly different than the temple, but the effect was the same, as the gentle hum and loud clanging of the machinery proved. It nonetheless instilled a sense of wonder in him.

Idris wasn't prepared for Laurel suddenly dragging him along, and let out a small squeak of surprise. Why did women always have to drag him around...? He didn't get a lot of time to think of an explanation, as they had reached a ladder to a platform that oversaw the majority of the room there were in. Which meant they could figure out a plan and decide on their next course of action.

He scurried up the ladder, dusted off his clothes and surveyed the room. With the machinery, and in turn the lights working, it was a lot easier to see their surroundings, but Idris had no idea where Laurel wanted to go.

"You have a better idea of where to go now?"
  17. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Hmm," Laurel said, not really answering Idris' question. She'd closed her eyes, allowing her to better concentrate on the current of the magic. With her finger, she traced the line she saw in her mind's eye. When the line ended, she opened her eyes, only to pout right away. "That's on the other side of the room," she complained, "and with the electricity running, it's dangerous to walk anywhere here." Anyone with eyes could see that she was right, especially from this vantage point. On several walls, there were large grinders that could crush the two spellcasters in seconds, with very fast treadmills leading to them. They would have to cross at least two of those in order to reach the door that the magic radiated from most strongly, and Laurel didn't know if she trusted the totem-like towers that had sprang up when she had activated the Timeshift Stone.

She looked to the side, but they were on an isolated tower-like structure. "Looks like there's really no way around it- we're going to have to survive the grinders." She leaned on the railing, resting her head on her arms. "Maybe if we could jam the treadmills with something, we could get by them... I can't run fast enough in this skirt and besides, the mechanism would outlast us."
  18. Squishy

Idris stared at the grinders, mind running at full speed.

Running or jumping across was impossible, as Laurel had pointed out her inability to run in her dress, and Idris did not trust his athletic abilities enough to wage his life on them. Blocking them or somehow slowing them was going to be hard as well, seeing as the place was not in shambles anymore and there wasn't any debris to be tossed in. So there had to be another way...

Idris muttered his thoughts aloud, counting the options on his fingers, until a thought suddenly came to him.

Perhaps they could not shut down the machines manually, but he had not yet thought about using magic. And he had just the spell for dealing with electrical machines. He took a deep breath, flexed his fingers and started working on his spell, small sparks appearing around his hands.

"Hope you're not attached to those machines..." Idris said. "They'll probably end up fried."

When he was confident his spell was strong enough, he shot a huge bolt of electricity out of his hands, at the machine, which came to a screeching halt. The electrical current of the spell had been too much and simply overloaded it.

"Hmm. That's the one. I'll wait a bit for the second one, I don't want to fry my hands already."
  19. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Laurel's face lit up as Idris used Electricity Magic of all things to short-circuit one of the grinders. However, it had been magic of a volatile and short-lived nature; nothing like the relatively easy-to-control current she needed. Studying his spell would be of no use to her, but it HAD given her an idea. Lifting her skirt slightly, she hurried past the treadmill in front of the grinder that had stopped. It was safe now, yes, but this was a magical environment, and she didn't know if the machine would recover from its overload and start back up when they least expected it.

Once she was on the small strip of land between the two grinders, she heard Idris telling her to wait before he would repeat his spell on the second one. "No worries," she said, smiling reassuringly and raising both her arms as she tried to get a feel for the currents running through the second grinder. "I felt something familiar when you used that spell. It's not too dissimilar from a Magic Bolt, I think I can..." she trailed off, not finishing her sentence and instead shutting one eye as she looked at the grinder. Yes, there was definitely a current of bright white magic running through it. She reached out, both with her hand and with her mind, and tried to grab hold of it.

Not bothering to explain to Idris why her hand started to turn white, she opened the eye she had shut and made a motion with her hands as though she was pulling something back. As she did so, a current of electric energy was drawn from the machine, creaking and sending sparks flying everywhere in protest. In the same motion, she doubled back on her hand movements and made a pushing motion, forcing the energy back in.

The consequences were spectacular. In its heavy protest against being bound to anything other than its anchor, the magic had doubled or maybe even tripled in strength, and when she had shoved it back into the machine, it overloaded with a loud booming noise, stopping dead in its tracks. As a result of the magical surge, a significant knockback had sent Laurel onto her back, and she now stood up. "As I thought. It's an enchantment, meaning the energy can be manipulated by an enchanter." She looked at her hands, which had blistered a little. "I'll need more practice before I feel comfortable summoning it though."
  20. Squishy

"Mmm. I guess that takes care of both." Idris said, watching Laurel take out the other grinder. He trailed after her, cautiously stepping arcoss the treadmills and past the other mage.

"Well, there's enough electrical machinery in here if you want to practice. I don't see why w-" The blonde let out a sound that was somewhere between a yelp and a strangled cry of surprise, jumping back when he felt a burning sensation on the foot he had just put down. He looked down to see a huge black patch on his boot where the leather had been scorched.

The culprit of ruining his boot was one of the statues on the far side of the room, shaped like a tower with a peculiar gemstone eye at the top. Before it had been static, but it seemed as if Idris had stepped over some invisible boundry or switch, as the eye was now glowing and spinning around.

Very carefully, Idris put his foot down again, and the statue reacted as if it had sensed him. The eye spun back in his direction and shot out a bright red beam. The mage managed to pull his foot back just in time to avoid getting it fried, but the beam had left the stone it had hit glowing with heat.

Idris sighed and rubbed his temples, muttering in annoyance.

"Why is nothing ever easy...?"