Lanayru Mining Facility [Squishy Panther] [COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Blonde Panther, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Yes! Idris had a way to force the statue to submit to his will, and made it move out of the way; Laurel now saw the chest more clearly, confirming that she wasn't crazy and that she had in fact seen it just then. Once Idris had established a firm grip on it, Laurel leapt down from the platform, grateful that she wore her boots instead of her heels, and raised her skirt with her free hand so she could run. She didn't want to risk Idris's rod giving out and the statue realising she was about to rob its treasure.

She reached the crevice, seeing that the chest wasn't locked, and pushed the lid open. To her surprise, there was no gold or powerful magical artifact in there. Instead, it contained a small, gold block in a peculiar shape, which didn't seem made to conduct magic. Laurel figured there had to be a reason for it to be guarded, so she removed it from the chest and hurried back to Idris. "Put it back!" she said, swinging the carving over her head, "I have it!"

She ran outside the statue's territory and waited for Idris to catch up before she handed him the strange item. "What do you think it is?"
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Before cancelling his control of the statue, Idris made sure to move out of its territory, not wanting to awaken it again. To his surprise, the Dominion Rod had worked. Although he had felt a slight resistance from the statue, as if the magic contained in it tried to fight his control, he had been able to move it.

The "treasure", however, was surprising in a much less positive way.

"A block? All that trouble for a gold block?" Idris stared at the object in his hand. As far as he could tell, it was utterly mundane. Not a single trace of magic on it. Why on earth was the statue guarding it? There had to be something special about somehow. "Hmmm... I don't..." The blonde muttered to himself, holding the block closer to his face to inspect it. There seemed to be tiny scuffmarks around the edges, as if it had been tucked in somewhere before. Parts of its surface also seemed to have faint grooves etched into them, though time had flattened them out and some had disappeared completely.

Idris huffed, feeling slightly cheated and not entirely sure what to do with the block.

"It appears as though it can be inserted somewhere. But I don't recall seeing anything like that in here?"
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Hmmm..." Laurel fiddled with the block. It was strangely hollow, like an inorganic serpentine shape. It was quite unlike anything she'd seen before, and while she theorised it didn't conduct magic, it might conduct something else instead... She put one hand on her forehead and tried to remember the rooms they had gone through. "No, I don't think it fits anything we've seen thus far..." she turned it over in her hand. "But humour me for a moment, Lord Johansson..." She wound a strand of hair around her finger as she thought out loud. "This entire place is filled with foreign machinery that seems to function on electricity magic."

She shook her head. "No, that's not right. Electricity magic can substitute it, but the forces that power the machinery are a far less volatile and malleable kind. Similarly, we've seen a lot of monsters that have some sort of affinity for electricity magic..." She turned the item over once more. "Judging from context... do you think this could conduct that non-magical electricity? If so, we should check the machinery and the doors in this room and any we come across later. Maybe it's a key of sorts."
  4. Squishy

"Hm. I suppose so."

Idris took the block back from Laurel and turned on his heel. So it was most likely some sort of key... He could not remember passing any kind of locked door or machine they could try it on. Perhaps they had missed one, or not yet come across the right place. But where to begin?

"Say, Laurel? Although we were rather busy with the Keese and whatnot, do you recall seeing any more doors in that room with the fan?"

It was the first room that came to mind, and Idris had not gotten a chance to have a good look at the room. The fact that it had been so crowded, however, meant that there was something to be guarded, or there was something simply attracting the monsters. Both possibilities invited further investigation.
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    The chamber where Laurel had had her epiphany? "...you raise a good point," she admitted. "We were rather occupied with other things at the time..." She retraced their steps to the door they had used to enter this room, following closely behind Idris. "Soooo," she asked, her hands behind her back. "What will you be doing if and when we get out of here? I mean, I'll be returning to Castle Town to prepare for my next..." she hesitated for a moment as she thought of a word, "outing... but I don't imagine you have that luxury, do you?" After all, his involvement in recent terrorist attacks had still not been disproved. She didn't assume she'd made a terrible mistake in allowing this man to accompany her, but it was in the back of her mind.

With the Timeshift Stone active, they needed no magic to power the door, and Laurel ducked under it as she entered the room from before. The monstrous remains were still strewn across the room and didn't move, allowing the duo to look around in more detail. Laurel ran her hand across the walls, wiping sand off of intricately carved decorations and what she assumed to be instructions and safety precautions. "Makes you wonder just how many people used and worked this in the past," she mused. "The place is huge." She had yet to find anything that seemed like it would fit the strange carving they had found, though. She hoped Idris would do his part in looking for it, too.
  6. Squishy

"My guess is a lot. But my real question is how old this place actually is, and why they left it."

Though the large fan was now dormant again, it had done a wonderful job of blowing most of the dust of the walls, uncovering large carvings, murals and various other inscriptions and decorations. That wretched archaeologist would have the time of her life here, Idris mused to himself. He busied himself with inspecting the far wall, wiping off the last smears of dirt with his hands, when they caught on a particularly thick cobweb. When pulled away, it revealed a small slot in the wall. The blonde hurriedly inserted the block, thrilled to have found the answer to its puzzle. But now there was the question of what it actually led to.

The wall trembled, shaking off any dirt or dust that still clung to it, revealing a surprisingly colourful structure underneath. The trembling lasted for but a short time, although the sound of machines humming and gears turning started up somewhere much deeper into the complex.

"...It's a painting."

The mural spread across the entire wall, depicting some kind of... creature? Idris thought he recognised a pair of claws and some sort of tail. Looking at it more closely revealed something most closely resembling a scorpion. Although it had way more eyes than it should have, placed at various points on its body. All of them had the same menacing glare.

After looking at the painting for some time, he discovered something much more unsettling. Between the claws of the creature someone had painted tiny human figures. Or at least, one of them looked human, the other one was missing several limbs. They differed from the mural itself in that they seemed to have been added later, and much faster, as if someone had simply grabbed a piece of coal and doodled over the wall. Something seemed to have been added at the bottom too... Alongside the entire bottom of the mural someone had doodled more human figures, each with a few words in ancient Hylian above them. Names, perhaps?

Idris could not shake the sense of dread as he stepped backwards from the wall, but the block made a clicking sound and slid further inside the wall, allowing some kind of mechanism to rearrange the bricks into a doorway... Suddenly Idris wasn't quite sure if he still wanted to know what the block led them to.
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Laurel examined the mural Idris had drawn her attention to. "I've read about these," she said, running her hand over the Ancient Hylian script in the mural. "They're depictions of prophecy, or heathen gods or demons... along with incantations of banishment." She looked closely. "I can make out a few of the words... 'spike...' 'skin...'" She shook her head. "It's too complicated. Many of the words have different meanings depending on context and the grammar is completely different from modern. I can't make heads or tails of it." She looked at the doorway. They could still turn back, of course... "M-maybe it's best we go home now," she said.

She started to step back, but as she did so, she heard an infernal screech and something huge burrowed past her in the soft sand that covered the ground. Not bothering to hide her terror, she snatched Idris's hand in one of hers, squeezing it with all her strength, while she fumbled for her rapier with the other one. "W-what is tha-" She interrupted herself with a scream when the creature burst from the sand, landing on the floor and leaping up, turning around mid-jump to face them and the impact of its landing shaking off the last remainder of the sand on it. It was the same creature that had been drawn on the walls, except many times bigger and more menacing than the drawings had made it look.

It gazed at them with one eye set in what Laurel assumed to be its face -she was no biologist- and opened its claws towards them, revealing that there were more eyes inside those. She shivered, stepping backwards and dragging Idris with her as she still clutched his hand for dear life. "W-what do we do..?" she asked, her voice barely audible over the threatening click-clack of the monster's claws.

Thousand-Year Arachnid
    Moldarach​
  8. Squishy

For a moment, Idris could only stare at the monster. But when it advanced on them, the gears in his mind started turning.

"Simple. We fight, or we end up like the people on the mural." He snatched his hand back, flexing a few painful fingers. That woman had an iron grip. Perhaps not unlike the creature opposite of them. But this was not a good time to reflect on their similarities, not when there was a large, obviously murderous monster coming at them.

The scorpion beat its claws against the ground, loosening quite a few rocks in the ceiling, which fell down haphazardly around the duo of mages.

"Although..." Idris started, dodging a particularly large boulder. "We need to know how to fight it. Which we don't."

Having had enough of breaking both ground and ceiling, the monster menacingly clicked it's claws again, flashing brightly coloured eyes. Then, it apparently decided that chasing the mages on foot was not fast enough. Instead, it burrowed back into the soft sand, gaining speed. Suddely it was coming a lot closer, and a whole lot faster.

Idris' eyes went wide as he leapt into action.

"Run! We'll figure out how to handle it later! For now, run!"
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Idris didn't have to tell her twice. The burrowing beast was immensely fast, but when they set foot on iron instead of sand, it had to clamber out and pursue them on foot- this slowed it down, further motivating Laurel to ignore her screaming legs and keep running. "What even is it," she asked, panting, "How did it get here? Why does it have all those eyes!?" She forced the nearby door open and slung an Arcane Bolt at the nearby Timeshift Stone, deactivating it and causing the door to drop like a rock behind them, creating a barrier between the nobles and the monster. Laurel leaned her back against the wall, sheathing her rapier and pressing both hands against her forehead.

"I don't even..." she was still panting, not used to extensive physical exercise. "I've never seen anything... like that thing... and I read a lot..." Her legs felt like they would give out any second now, but she forced herself to stay standing. It wouldn't be long until the monster crushed the door with its pincers...

"Oh god." Laurel's eyes went wide as a realisation struck her. "W-with all the sand here and those huge pincers... there's nothing in here that can keep it inside." She turned to Idris. "W-what if it gets out of the mine? What do we do then..?"
  10. Squishy

Idris stopped abruptly. He looked at Laurel, shocked at her last suggestion.

"We- well, we..." He licked his lips, not quite sure what to say. "Then there's nothing stopping it from heading towards the nearest city. If we don't stop it, no one will." Idris' mouth settled into a thin line. It was not a nice idea to think about. "...It seems we have no other choice than to fight it." Fight or die, though he did not mention the last part. Things were already grim enough.

Muttering quietly to himself, the blonde stretched his fingers. Eyes, eyes... He had seen huge creatures with eyes before. Fought them, even.

A loud bang against the door made Idris jump. The enormous dent in their only defence was not encouraging. Another bang, and cracks started to appear in the door. They were running out of time...

"We have to keep it away from the sand, that much is clear." Idris spoke quickly, his body tensed up to run or fight should the monster break through the door. "Its eyes are its weak spot, if I go by other creatures I've seen before. If we can hit them, we might at least slow it down."
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "R-right," Laurel said, swallowing painfully and trying to recollect her nerve. She was terrified. Getting close to that thing could spell death for her, as she could easily get crushed in its pincers or impaled on its sting... but they had little choice. "Magic is too inaccurate to be reliable," she explained to Idris, drawing her rapier and forcing her voice to stabilize. "And you don't have a weapon." She showed him the rapier. "But I do. It's not ideal, but a sword to the eye should really hurt it, especially if I enchant it."

For a second, she remained quiet as she let Idris process her meaning. "I'll have to get close," she then emphasized. "So I need you to watch the thing closely and warn me if I'm about to die." Pointing her rapier to a nearby pile of debris, she added, "You can hide behind there- the less it sees of you, the better the odds it will stay within range of my sword." Another loud bang was audible as the monster started to tear a sizeable hole into the door keeping it away from them. Laurel squeezed her eyes shut, trying desperately to expel the terror in her mind. She had to do this. If the monster escaped and wrought havoc on the people, it would be her fault.

Swinging the rapier down, an arc of sparks following the trail of the newly-enchanted blade, she turned around. "Lord Johansson," she said. "...Idris. I believe you're innocent of the charges made against you." She clutched her weapon so tightly her knuckles turned white. "If I survive today, I will do everything in my power and use all my contacts to clear your name."

Another bang resonated through the room, and the door vanished altogether. Laurel heard the skittering of eight legs and the victorious clicking of enormous pincers, and turned around, fighting the natural urge to freeze in her tracks as she stared it down. Instead, she raised her sword, pointing it at the large eye on its face threateningly. "Go! Hide!"
  12. Squishy

"Hide?! And what? Let you storm off on your own?!"

He stepped up next to Laurel, nostrils flaring.

"And what do you think it will do to my reputation, to head into a mine with a nobleman's daugther and come out alone?! The bomb was bad enou-" Whatever else Idris had wanted to say was abruptly cut off as the scorpion sucker-punched him in the gut with one of its pincers, sending the unfortunate nobleman flying off. He crashed into the pile of debris Laurel had pointed out previously, head spinning. That. Hurt. A lot. Idris groaned, trying to make the world stop spinning.

Laurel now faced the giant monster alone. It had completely lost interest in Idris, probably thinking he was out of the picture. Perhaps quite literally even, as the blonde had tumbled down behind the pile, disappearing from view.

This was going to be tough.
  13. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Oh my GODS Idris, this is so not the moment to play the gentlema-" Laurel had been screaming at Idris as well to the point where they couldn't make sense of each other's words, only to instinctively dodge out of the way when the scorpion decided to whack him. That was what he got for not listening to her! She didn't watch to see where he landed, instead returning the beast's attention when it focused on her. "C-come on," she said, "Just because my voice and my knees are shaking doesn't mean I'm afraid of you..."

It clicked its other pincer, lashing towards her. But that was much of a mistake as it terrified her. As much as her instinct as to dodge out of the way, she forced herself to keep in mind she would not GET out of the way and instead lunged forward, burying the sparking and surging blade of her rapier halfway into the eye in the middle of the pincer. It closed around her, spasming wildly, but she was close enough to the eye that the pincer didn't actually break her- stepping forward and lunging so deeply had saved her life.

However, the monster raised its pincer, lifting her off the ground, and looked at her with the eye on its main body. As Laurel looked up, she saw its stinger slowly coming closer, too. Oh no. She'd hurt it -a lot- and she would pay.
  14. Squishy

But the stinger was blown off by a well-timed bout of lightning.

Breathing heavily and completely and utterly pissed, Idris scrambled over the pile of debris. Various bits of grit and dirt had gotten stuck in his hair, ripped the fine silk of his sleeves and stained his coat. His hands crackled and sparked with the remains of his spell.

The scorpion recoiled from the hit, letting out an ear-piercing shriek. It staggered backwards, dropping Laurel on the floor while it wildly shook its tail.

"I can assure you," Idris started, standing on top of the pile. "That I am not doing this for the sake of manners." He slid down, awkwardly trying to keep his balance as the debris shifted under his feet. "I really don't need any more damage to my reputation."

From the corner of his eye, Idris saw the monstrous thing twitch and struggle, trying to deal with the pain of nearly losing an eye and its stinger. It clacked violently with its pincers, one of them moving more erratcially than the other. Like most beasts, it was at its most dangerous when hurt and cornered. As it was now.

"I'd suggest you get up before it recovers."
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  15. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "I just told you, if I get out of here alive I will FIX that," Laurel sneered as she crawled to her feet, observing the beast. The pincer she had attacked moved erratically, but the monster seemed to still have control over it. So it wasn't out of commission quite yet... still, Idris had taken out the stinger, removing one of its weapons. That would make it slightly safer to approach it. "Well, we can't run," she said, lifting her rapier and enchanting it again, this time with fire.

The beast screeched again, back on its feet and lunging towards her with the unharmed pincer. Laurel took a risk, diving forwards and under that swipe. Before it could recover, she got up on one knee and thrust her flaming sword forward, landing it in the already-wounded eye on the other pincer and setting it aflame. She then dove to another side, avoiding the fallout, and watched as the monster trashed its claw around, screeching in fear at the small flame that was rapidly consuming it.

Finally, it fell limp, the monster once again turning to Laurel and clicking its remaining pincer. Getting caught would not be an option this time... if it caught her again, it would crush her. No two ways about it.
  16. Squishy

"And how were you planning on staying alive on your own?" Idris held one arm clamped over his stomach, the muscles sore from where the scorpion had struck. "I'll distract it." A distasteful look crossed his face as he rolled up his sleeves. Why did his clothes always have to suffer?

The clicking of the monster's pincer snapped his focus back. Idris lifted his hand, fingers pointed at the floor underneath the creature. The circle lit up underneath it, glowing brighter and brighter until-

"There!"

A huge jet of fire shot up from the circle, catching the scorpion in the midst of it. It trashed around, trying to escape the flames. But Idris kept the jet going, gritting his teeth.

"When I cancel the spell, you'll have your opening!"
  17. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Urgh. As much as she hated having to be saved by Idris when he had been throwing a tantrum -and provoking one of her own, most inelegantly- she had to admit, his spell was well-timed and effective. By now, Laurel estimated she could use her Shock Enchantment again, so she turned her rapier yellow with surging power. She had no idea if she could do any damage to the thing without enchantments, but getting close without dying was such an ordeal that she wasn't about to take the chance. Fire was clearly the way to go, but the fact remained that spell was still on cooldown.

She waited until the remaining pincer was wide open and close by. "NOW!" she cried when she saw it, leaping forward before it could be withdrawn. She didn't wait to see what Idris did, instead lunging, assuming he would break the spell before she caught on fire, and pierced the eye on the second pincer.
  18. Squishy

Yes! Exactly as he planned, the blast of fire left the scorpion vulnerable, allowing Laurel to plant a hit in it's second eye. Again, the beast cried out, but this time it did not twitch helplessly on the floor. No, to Idris' horror it skittered back to the sand, burrowing itself underground. And the trembling of the floor it had anything but given up.

"Laurel! Get back! It's going t-"

With a tremendous roar, the scorpion burst through the stone floor, throwing bricks and dust everywhere. Idris shielded his head with his arms, hoping Laurel was not hit by the blast. He had to think quickly now. Very quickly. Thinking back, he got an idea. There were several levels in this mine, yes? He located Laurel, roughly grabbing her by the arm and ran.

"Come on! We've got to get to higher ground! It can't climb!"

There was a ladder ahead, leading to another level. At least it would keep them out of the monster's path until they could strike back.
  19. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Laurel screamed when the monster popped up below her, launching her along with the debris. She landed hard next to Idris, only barely managing to catch her fall with her hands. She hadn't really recovered from the shock when he grabbed her rudely by the arm and dragged her off. She thought to chew him out, until she saw the monster charging at them. Without its heavy pincers, it was a lot faster than before. "NOT SO SLOW YOU IDIOT!" she screamed, jerking her arm free and launching herself up the ladder.

She got out of the way so Idris could climb up to this level as well, and brushed her hair out of her face so she could look down at the monster. "Say, Idris... how do you know it can't climb- OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE!" Contrary to Idris's words, the monster had set its legs on the wall and started climbing up it. Slowly, admittedly, but it was still coming at them. When would that thing stop moving?!
  20. Squishy

This, Idris noted, was not according to plan.

They kept running, the scorpion slowly closing the space between them. As soon as it would hit solid ground there was nothing that could stop it anymore, and there was no doubt it would catch up with them very quickly. Idris did not want to think about what would happen if it did. Instead, he was busy trying to think of something to do. He did have some stronger spells up his sleeve, but he knew he could not use them indefinitely. Although this was a dire situation, and what was a little damage compared to being mauled to death? The blonde looked at his hands. The spell should have cooled down by now. If not... well, he was going to feel it. Badly.

As he concentrated, his hands started to glow, tiny sparks crackling around them. Idris turned around, located the gigantic scorpion on the wall, and released his spell. A devastating bolt of lightning shot through the air, striking the creature right on its front. It screamed out, limbs twitching with the current, making it impossible for it to keep holding on to the wall.

"He's down! Now's our chance!"