Lanayru Mining Facility [Squishy Panther] [COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Blonde Panther, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    She'd been right, then. One of the totem-like towers had sprung to life and attacked Idris the moment he'd set foot over some sort of invisible boundary. Laurel deduced it stood guard over something, as it was bound to its one spot and appeared rather docile as long as they didn't breach its boundaries. "Life would be no fun if everything were easy," she said, her eyes gleaming as her brain shifted into gear. She wanted to outsmart this bit of ancient technology. "Nothing for it but to turn this thing around in our favour. First course of action: take out the laser."

With those words, she lifted her rapier, a small ball of electricity forming at the tip until she tossed it towards the eye. However, as it passed the boundary, the eye glowed red and retaliated with its own laser, which not only dissolved her Magic Bolt but went straight through it, and Laurel could only just dodge out of the way. "...not that way, then," she said. "If we can get it closer to the ground, I could put my sword in it. That's faster and it might not have time to counter then. Any ideas, Lord Johansson?"
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

"Why, yes, I do." Idris growled as he flicked his hands in preparation for a spell. "I'll show that... that thing not to ruin my boots."

He held out his hands, pointing towards the slab of stone on which the statue stood. Then, slowly, his hands started glow in a peculiar red hue, as if they were made out of hot iron. The area right underneath the statue took on the same hue, which became brighter and brighter until suddenly a giant pillar of flame shot up, completely enveloping the statue.

The blonde Hylian gritted his teeth, pouring all his concentration in the spell, intent on reducing that pesky piece of decoration to absolute rubble.

After what seemed like quite a while, Idris dropped his hands, and the pillar of flame disappeared. With an indignant huff he re-adjusted the cravat around his neck, and folded his arms behind his back, trying to regain his composure.

"There. That should teach it."
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    First, Idris had produced an enormous bolt of lightning. Now, he produced an enormous pillar of flame. "Your magic isn't exactly subtle, is it?" she said, grinning with her hands on her hips, "Is that inherent to House Johansson, or is it a personal thing?" She looked back at the totem, which seemed to have melted under the intense fire. Satisfied, but cautious, she walked towards it. It didn't move, so she put her hand on it, only to pull it back as the heat had lingered in the metal. "Ouch," she muttered. "Well, at least it looks like that took care of it." She couldn't keep a little disappointment out of her voice. She'd wanted to outwit it- not overpower it with brute force.

Still, it was out of their way, and Laurel walked up to the wall behind it. One of the wall panels looked different from the rest, and as she approached it, it effortlessly slid away into the panel above it; revealing a whole new room. "Whoa," she said, "Doorways in the old days were far more efficient than nowadays." She didn't wait, immediately walking into the new room with her sword still in hand. The Timeshift Stone's influence didn't reach here- the room was run-down and filled with sand, as the one before had initially been. Still, there was something funny here that compelled Laurel to explore.
  4. Squishy

Idris narrowed his eyes at his noble companion, not entirely sure if her remark was an insult or not.

"I happen to be the only magic user in my family." He said curtly.

The blonde followed Laurel into the next room, not sparing the now-defucnt statue another glance as he passed it. Though he did try to hide the cocky smile that crept onto his face. His victory over the insolent statue felt good. After what he had suffered at the hands of that savage Gerudo and the insane archaeologist, it greatly improved his mood to put someone, or something in its place.

The next room was, to his surprise, untouched by the effects of the stone's magic. The sand here piled up high in the corners, almost completely hiding the true floor from view. If said floor was in fact, still intact. It was hard to tell in this place.

"Any luck with that magic of yours?" Idris asked in a sarcastic tone, as he watched Laurel explore the room.
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Stay near the doorway," Laurel hurried to point out. "If the Timeshift Stone's influence doesn't reach here, we may not be able to open that door from this side." She herself walked further into the room, pondering Idris' sarcastic question. "And don't sass a lady. I know that what I'm looking for is here somewhere..." She took another few steps forward, and suddenly felt compelled to look up at the ceiling. "Uh-oh."

Keese. Hundreds and hundreds of Keese. Every square inch of the ceiling that wasn't covered in crackling, yellow goop was laden with Keese. "I have a bad feeling about this..." Laurel muttered, fiddling with her rapier. Right on cue, the first of the Keese started to spread their wings, breaking free from the ceiling and fluttering around the room. Simultaneously, the goop oozed down from the ceiling, forming sentient blobs. Both the blobs and the wings of the Keese crackled with electricity...

But the majority of them were coming straight for her.
  6. Squishy

That was not something Idris had been prepared for. He had been standing near the door, his back turned to Laurel when he suddenly heard her grow very, very quiet. And then all hell broke loose.

He jumped when the Keese flew past him, one getting tangled in his hair, tiny claws scraping over his scalp. The Hylian yelped, trying to pull it out and taking a few steps backwards in the process. Which he shouldn't have done. As soon as he stood clear from the door it fell close with a loud thud, trapping the two mages in a room with a horde of angry Keese and Chuchus. And not just ordinary ones. No, his companion had managed to pick the one room with electric Chus and Keese.

With half a mind to shout at the woman and another half to attack the creatures, Idris decided on the latter. Having snatched the one from his hair, he threw it aside and prepared a spell, his hands taking on an icy blue hue.

"Next time, check the ceiling first!" He yelled, as he released a blast of ice at a nearby Keese, freezing it solid. It crashed to the floor, the ice crashing in a multitude of tiny shards. That was one less.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Yes," Laurel shouted in response, "I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I visit an ancient and abandoned mine!" she brought her hands up above her head, swatting away the Keese that came her way. She soon realised this was unwise, though, as she wore no gloves and the electricity would hurt. Still, she couldn't use her rapier either, as the metal blade would conduct the shocks right towards her. Her only hope was her Magic Bolt, but using it pur sang would likely not do much, and enchanting it with fire would run her through both her spells at once, leaving her helpless.

She stepped back to avoid a swooping Keese, but stepped right into a ChuChu as she did so. She got out of it just in time before it shocked in retaliation, but that put her in the middle of the monsters. This was bad... there was so much current flying around her that her hair fanned out with static. She started to frantically look around the room, hoping to find a way of turning this situation around with one spell.
  8. Squishy

As Laurel stepped back from the Chu, a pillar of flame shot up underneath it, taking a few of the Keese above with it as well. Though quickly enough, the other monsters realised the danger of the fire, and carefully avoided it.

Idris dropped the pillar, trying to think up a new strategy. Inferno would only take a few monsters every time he cast it, as the others would quickly notice the giant gust of fire shooting up, Thunder was too dangerous is a small room like this, especially with Laurel moving around, and his other spells could only hit one monster at a time. He gritted his teeth, regretting learning very few spells that could hit multiple targets at once. Though perhaps, if he could wrap his mind around it...

His Ice spell did have a desirable effect on the Keese and Chuchus around him, he noticed as he struck down another one that had swooped down on him. If he could cast a similar kind of magic, but in a different shape somehow... Idris closed his eyes, trying to block out the wild flapping of wings as he reached deep into his mind. He knew what kind of magic he wanted, now he had to imagine it in the way he wanted it. In his mind, the orb of ice slowly started to warp, tearing apart until it became a cloud of cold, swirling and churning.

'That's it...!'

Idris' eyes snapped open, stretching out his hand. Again it took on a blueish hue, accompanied by an odd layer of frost as well. The frost started swirling, just as the imagine in his mind had, until a very small snowstorm appeared around his hand. Said storm quickly expanded, turning into a wild blizzard shooting from his hand, freezing several nearby monsters.

Proud of his new spell, Idris turned to Laurel with a cocky smile.
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Yes, yes. Your ice spell is impressive, Laurel though sarcastically. She had something else on her mind. Idris had taken out a fair number of them, but at least half of the monsters was still left and converging on her. They had realised that she was the less dangerous of the two Hylians in the room. Thanks a lot, Johansson. She couldn't even risk a kick towards the ChuChus, since that would just get the electrified jelly stuck on her boot and possibly shock her through it. And she still wasn't sure about wasting her enchantment or her Magic Bolt on a single monster...

But she saw something. There was a strange device on the wall, similar in design to several ones in the last room over. Judging from the buzzing sensation she'd felt in that room, electricity was relevant to the workings of the machinery... On a hunch, she raised her rapier and launched her Magic Bolt towards the device. It fizzled and crackled... and for a second, nothing happened. Then, a sudden gust of wind came from the ceiling, sending another pile of sand and dust falling down and pushing some of the Keese to the ground. But it stopped as suddenly as it had began, and the monsters quickly started to recover from being shaken about.

There was definitely something in the ceiling though, and it was definitely powered by electricity magic! "Idris!" Laurel shouted, "We need more power!"
  10. Squishy

Idris was pretty sure that at the end of their trip into the mines, there would be sand everywhere. He felt it scratch in his boots, his hair, his collar, and he was pretty damn sure that some of the sand that had been blown down from the ceiling had made its way into his shirt.

But save for getting sand in nasty places, the sudden gust of wind had also proven very effective in battling the Keese. It just didn't seem to have enough power to keep going. Laurel's spell only powered it for a short while, and he doubted it was the kind of spell she could keep firing at will. Looked like they were going to need something a little bit more... powerful. Luckily subtlety was not Idris' strong suit.

Hands crackling with electricity were raised, a burning sensation running through them as a vicious lightning bolt shot out, hitting the same device Laurel had been aiming at before. Almost immediately after it had hit, the fan on the ceiling roared to life, blowing up sand and dust everywhere and pushing the Keese to the ground.

Idris covered his face with his arm, trying to keep the sand out of his eyes. It was an odd sensation, standing under the fan, as if something heavy was constantly pushing down on his shoulders, trying to throw him off-balance.

"That should get rid of them!" Idris shouted, his voice barely audible over the roar of the fan.
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Laurel covered her face with her arms when the fan on the ceiling started roaring, hoping to keep the high-velocity sand out of her face and eyes. She felt the streaming winds tugging at her hair and her dress, but she didn't care- she didn't see anything, but she assumed from the lack of electricity presently coursing through her that their plan was working.

After what felt like an eternity, the winds died down and Laurel lowered her arms to straighten out her skirt. As expected, the Chus had been pushed against the ground so hard that the jelly had been splashed all over the room, ending their animation, and the Keese had been outright ripped apart by the winds. "Well," she said, running her fingers through the fresh tangles in her hair, "That worked. And now we know that we can get machinery to work with our own magic if we lack a Timeshift Stone. Shall we try it with that door?"
  12. Squishy

"Hmm... I would," Idris said, inspecting his fingers. "But I'm afraid using my magic too much will literally fry my hands. As you have seen it's rather... volatile."

His hands appeared to be fine, save for some minor scratches from sand and rocks, but Idris knew that if he would cast his spell too soon his skin would blister and burst. In dire situations there was no choice but to sacrifice his hands, but seeing as the monsters had been killed by the gust of wind, there was little need for it. He might as well fill the time with talking. Or at least an attempt.

"So, miss Veranius..." Idris coughed in his hand, small talk had never been his forte. Nor had friendly talk in general. He wasn't even completely sure how to adress his companion. "Why this interest in enchantments? Why not... something else?"
  13. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Laurel will be fine," she said. "We're peers, after all." She realised that her own magic wouldn't be strong enough to open the door, and Idris's was too volatile to safely use while still under strain from the most recent cast. She decided to use the time to try and return her hair to an acceptable state while she spoke to him. She knew well how rude it was to be busy with anything else than the conversation at hand, of course; but Idris was a well-known prick even to noble standards, and under the circumstances she highly doubted anyone cared.

When he asked about her interest in enchantments, Laurel looked at a particularly nasty tangle in concentration. "I... I'm not sure why I became so fascinated with them. But I have a theory. You know how magic is sometimes theorised to draw from reality and alter it to suit the mage's needs." Of course, it was only one of many theories. For how much the Hylian race studied and used magic, they understood precious little about its origins or inner workings. "I believe Enchantments are the most pure and primal application of that. When I enchant my sword with fire, for example, that is nothing more than changing the composition of the blade to include fire... magic..?"

As she had explained this, she had drawn her sword to illustrate her explanation. Now, however, she found herself staring at it, blinking slowly as the gears in her head turned. "...dear Mother Nayru," she then muttered. "I am an idiot." She raised the weapon, laying a few fingers of her free hand against the blade, and shut her eyes. She focused and began to apply a Fire Enchantment to the steel... but instead of visualising red and imagining heat emanating from it, she visualised yellow and imagined sparks dancing along it. Normally, that wouldn't have been enough to get the trick done, but Laurel had recently been exposed to a lot of electricity magic and her mind remembered the structure and sensation of it.

When she opened her eyes, she did so to a yellow-glowing blade with not just sparks, but an outright current of electricity flowing past it. Her eyes widened at her success, but not wanting to celebrate too early, she looked at the door. "Let me just..." Not seeing a device like the one for the ceiling fan, Laurel went out on a limb and touched her sword to the door directly. The electricity surged and the door hummed, before slowly sliding open.

"It worked!" she shouted, "I did it!" She turned around, promptly leaping at Idris and kissing him on the cheek just to relieve the excitement she felt right now. Besides, he'd earned it- without him she wouldn't have gotten this far into the mine. "That was the Shock Enchantment! Did you see that?"
  14. Squishy

Idris froze, rooted to the spot when Laurel flung her arms around her neck and... kissed him. He wasn't even quite sure what just happened. All he knew that his face was red as a beet and burning like mad. Part of him felt like he should be angry for such improper behaviour, the other part was... confused. And terrified. Was this a normal thing girls did?

"Th-that... that was... Shock indeed." He stammered, his composure gone completely out of the window. Trying to hide his stammering, he focused on straightening his clothes instead, not daring to touch his face. The feeling in his cheeks told him enough. Sure, he had expected to be hit at some point, or dragged around like that pesky archaeologist had before. But not... this. That was something no one had ever done to him, and he had no idea how to respond to it.

"A-anyway... The door's open. Good work. We can get out now." He added hastily, briskly walking past Laurel, out of the door. The less she saw of his bright red face, the better. If any of his sisters ever heard of this, he would never hear the end of it.
  15. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Laurel noticed Idris's red face, but decided not to say anything about it. She was much too excited about her progress to tease him, anyway. This was only the second enchantment she'd learned, but if she mastered it, maybe she could use her experiences here to help her develop and understand the other elements as well..! She hurried out of the room behind Idris, only to realise that they had not emerged in the same room as they had exited before.

There was no active Timeshift Stone. Instead, there was a big statue in front of them. It was quite freaky, resembling a large head with large staring eyes, a pair of magnet-shaped appendages on the top of its head. The spikes on its base gave Laurel pause, too, but it appeared that unlike the totem pole-like machine from before, this one was not alive. "...let's find a Timeshift Stone," she said, "And hope this one isn't as territorial as the last."
  16. Squishy

The statue and the search for a Timeshift Stone were a welcome distraction to Idris, though he noticed his mind was not as focused as he wanted it to be. Mentally cursing at himself for letting such a tiny thing rattle him so badly, he stepped past the statue.

It did not move when the mages passed by, though Idris could not tell if that was much better than if it had sprung to life like the other statue had. It only seemed to increase its eeriness.

"It can't be that hard to find one." Idris said, finally starting to regain his composure. He scanned the room for one of the mysterious stones, trying to pick up traces of the magic it contained. Time magic was a strange kind of magic, and even the best modern scholars still had not been able to decipher it. But sensing the magic was something completely different than actually using it, and Idris, having encoutered it before, knew what to look for.

After a moment of concentration he called out to Laurel, still not quite daring to face her, in case she did something unexpected again.

"It's this way. Up the ladder here."
  17. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Up the ladder, huh?" Laurel didn't think twice before grabbing hold of it and starting to climb up it. It wasn't a long ladder, but the way it creaked and groaned while Laurel climbed it was a little ominous. "You stay down there," she said to Idris, "Keep an eye out for anything that will want to kill us once I bring this place to life." Once at the top, she pulled herself onto the edge and stood straight, smoothing down her skirt. Idris had been right, she saw, and she drew her rapier to strike the Timeshift Stone.

Soon, the room was buzzing and whirring with mechanical life, and Laurel walked to the edge of the plateau to see the statue from before. It had regained blue and red colours, its blue eyes staring out front of it vacantly, but it did not move or look around. A silent sentry, perhaps? She was still pondering it when she started to descend the ladder. "Do you see anything?" she asked on her way down.
  18. Squishy

"No. Well, save for it suddenly being very colourful." Idris said, eyes trained on the statue. It had another face on the other side, though this side looked happier than the other. Still, it was an unnerving thing to look at with its vacant, unblinking eyes. Whoever had made it desperately needed some lessons in aesthetics. But they were not here to admire art, the blonde reminded himself. He stepped aside so Laurel could get down the ladder, only to hear something rumble very, very loudly. A rumbling not unlike stone scraping against stone. Idris could've hit himself.

Not. Again.

Just like the other statue, this one seemed to have a certain invisible territory as well. And Idris had stepped right into it. But this statue did not, perhaps fortunately so, shoot lasers. No, instead, it started to hop, the ground shaking every time it landed. Even before Laurel had managed to set foot on the floor, Idris hurriedly ushered her back up the ladder, quickly following her.

"It probably can't jump that hi- Ack!" The ladder had already been creaking when Laurel climbed it the first time, and even louder when she tried to come down, but the weight of the two mages became too much for the fragile, rotten wood. The bars snapped under Idris' feet, the mage only barely managing to try and keep a hold on the platform, nails digging into it.

"H-help me up! Hurry!"
  19. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    The statue was territorial. Great.

Laurel hurried back up the ladder and turned around just in time to see Idris struggling to hold on. The statue was still advancing towards them, and the tremors it caused made it harder for the noble to hold on. Laurel dropped herself to her knees and grabbed hold of his wrists, thanking the goddesses for his incredibly fragile form as she started to pull him up. "Come on," she said, "Work with me here."

Finally, she pulled him up on the platform. Apparently, in doing so she extracted him from the statue's territory, as it turned around and started to hop back. As she looked, however, she saw a large, ornate chest in a crevice that the statue had previously blocked; and now returned to block once more. "What's that?" she muttered to herself, leaning forward in hopes of seeing it better. The statue re-assumed its position, and fell dormant once more. "...we need to find a way to get behind that thing," Laurel said to Idris. "Do you have any ideas?"
  20. Squishy

"I... might have."

Not giving any further comment, Idris pulled his satchel from his back and started to rummage through it, producing a strange, staff-like object. It had been a while since he had used it, but last time it had worked excellently on statues. Although those statues had been simply that. Statues. This one clearly had something that made it spring to life whenever someone came close.

"Right. I will try to move the statue, but I want you to be ready to run over to that chest the moment I tell you. This thing..." Idris tapped the rod in his hands. "It works on regular statues, but I've never used it on one that's... well, magical."

He took a deep breath, standing on the edge of the platform. Without a way back up, things could go very, very wrong if the Dominion Rod did not work as planned. But, still, it was the only thing Idris could think of, save for one of them going down as a distraction. And that was sure to end horribly for at least one of the two mages.

Best not to focus on that, Idris told himself, as he lifted the rod. As he did so, a small, glowing green orb appeared above it, and shot at the statue the moment the rod was swung down. The statue's eyes glowed a faint green when the orb disappeared into it. So far so good.

"That seems to work..."

Idris dropped himself off the platform, giving himself more room to move around. And, in turn, move the statue around. As soon as the mage started walking, the statued followed suit, hopping in the same direction and revealing the crevice once more.