No Poultry, Guaranteed [Doc Genzo]

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Nameless, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Temple of Courage – Phantom Hourglass

The sun had long since set and the day gave its place to the ever darkening evening. Outside of civilization, the clear skies provided some light in the form of the moon and stars for any traveler still stuck on the roads. The streets of Darunia however, were lit by the warm glow of windows and the occasional torch placed outside to provide extra visibility for anyone still out and about. Many of the streets and buildings had already quieted for the day, the evening already having passed the point where most of those with early awakenings would head to bed. That included most of the workers in town, but the docks… The docks never quite seemed to sleep.

The dark water lapped against the shore and walls supporting the docks, though the sound was quickly eaten up by the sounds of laughter and talking every time a door opened up to one of the various establishments for sailors. Those spending long times at sea didn't seem to let something as trivial as the time of day to stop their enjoyment when they finally stepped back on land and were now giving it their all trying to drink every drop of alcohol in the taverns.

Inside one of those taverns, Ruairi peeked from behind the curtains. The stage was set – not that there was really anything on the stage, but the tables certainly had been filling steadily. The pair of actors who had gotten him pulled into this mess had been correct when they assured him that they would have an audience. Perhaps he should have accepted that when he saw that the venue did have a proper stage set up, but he had been so uncertain about the whole production. The Rito adjusted his poofy wig and corset, along with his added chest assets, fluffing them up. He still couldn't believe he was doing this. It was very much a show made for this particular kind of audience. Humorous and raunchy – a far cry from the sophisticated shows he wanted to partake in.

But a Rito had to eat…

The show started on time. A tale of two brothers unable to come up with the money for their rent and how they came up with wilder and wilder excuses and situations to fool their fancy landlady. Ruairi could see why they had had trouble to get someone to play the part – someone with the looks of a haughty noble lady most likely did not appreciate playing such an idiot who suffered an intentional wardrobe malfunction on stage to show some titillating skin to hooting patrons. But he was a professional – and had spent too much money on clothes recently, so he just had to suck it up and make do with the bad hand he had been dealt. There were plenty of song and dance numbers, though there were no props or anything, really. There had been no budget. All they had were clothes, with Ruairi's especially being rather fancy-looking from afar… Though a lot of the pieces came from his personal wardrobe.

He was glad when the show was over, mostly going without a hitch. They had had a week to perfect the show, which was a very tight schedule – but he was used to making the show go on without the audience noticing, hopefully. Seriously, they should be paying him more…

After the curtain call, Ruairi exited the stage to head into the backrooms that had been working as their dressing rooms. He really wanted to wash off all the makeup caking his face.
  2. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    As the orange sun set over Darunia, the peace and quiet of the sizable port town grew heated and excitable once more. Done with her steaming hot tea, a long-lived Kokiri turned her head up at an oversized portrait of an Octorok on her mantle. Although there had been many hardships for her -even in the past month alone- she wanted to exchange a quiet sleepy night in her quarters for an energetic outing with the nightlife. She hastily put away her tea-time dress and changed into her new favorite outfit, a gleaming gown made out of the materials for Golden Armor. The vain little troublemaker couldn't just save it to be used as actual armor, she fully intended to show it off to anyone who could see her.

Evelyn clopped down the cobbled streets, skipping all along the way. Her ordinary appearance in this town was accepted at this point, but she was containing an urge to announce her presence. It was at the moment she saw people gathering for a show at a nearby tavern that she finally let go and starting clapping her boots loudly against the ground. A nearby pair of Deku Scrubs started whispering to each other. A third bystander got a jolt up his spine, the Zora turned his head as he overheard the Deku. "She's here?!" he alighted to the crowd. Most of them turned their eyes to each other or at least away from the Kokiri. She wasn't exactly famous in this town but the locals kept in mind that her enthusiastic presence was going to take up a whole table at the show.

Two middle-aged Hylian sailors watched as she hastily grabbed a seat at their table. One wiped his face as if it had instantly become sweaty, as the other joined in to facepalm along. Beaming already, Evelyn's wide smile indicated to the sailors that they would either have to stay and put up with her or take their chances with finding an open pair of seats. It was almost too convenient, that the cost of entry was so low this time. Just what were they paying those poor actors? A knowing barhand made her way over to the table. A lovingly filled pair of pints landed snugly in front of the sailors. The barhand's eyes turned to the girl.

"You're not going to drink milk this time either?" she sighed, lowering her shoulders. "What'll it be then?"

"One apple juice!" she delighted, a black-gloved hand waving in the air as if she was hailing a school teacher.

It was not long before the show started, and Eve's eyes locked onto the makeshift stage. The singing, and the back-and-forth about paying rent, excited some and left others buried in their ales. Eve was practically jumping out of her seat with excitement. She was bouncing about, fawning and clapping at inappropriate times. Somewhere in the middle of the show, the girl was entrenched in the Landlady character and plopped down a book full of blank white pages. She started drawing a really shitty picture of the landlady in brightly colored crayons.

When the show finally ended, she packed up her book and scooted off to the back where she could see Ruairi heading off to clean up for the night. Eve sped over, pulling open and spreading wide her book of crayon drawings. The gaudy colors lit up the hallway.

"W-wait! I want yer autograph!" she yelped, hopping up and down. The haphazard picture was sure to illicit a little more out of the elegant Rito.
  3. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

A sudden voice behind him that he didn't recognize stopped Ruairi in his tracks. Very unexpected, of course – especially when the voice came from far below, like it belonged to a child. There shouldn't be any audience members backstage, much less children!
    "I don't think this is a place for a ch–" He started as he turned around and looked down, finding himself having been approached by a young girl. Just like he had thought. But, as he looked down and met those eyes, the face, something… Something was off. He wasn't sure if he could put his finger on what exactly was wrong, but he was feeling it deep inside him. The girl had such an odd quality to her, something that almost reminded him of a… Well, grandma! Was this child perhaps much, much older than she looked? An old woman who had been blessed by the time and had kept her rather youthful looks?

No. He had to be wrong, when he looked at the book that was offered in his direction, the page filled with childish scribbles he couldn't even quite understand. A child, she had to be a child. Ruairi's gaze had stopped on the pages of the book, rather puzzled by what he was actually seeing. He was no good with children…
    "Isn't it terribly late for you to be out and about?" He asked, tilting his head. And the little girl wanted his autograph… She had seen that raunchy show and liked it? …How he hoped her parents didn't find out.
    "Late night show themes don't tend to be very appropriate…"

His protests were starting to sound rather half-hearted. Who was he trying to be a moral compass, anyway? Didn't really fit him one bit, but he really hoped children would stay out of his shows when they were like this. Should he reward her with that autograph he wanted and keep this going? He shouldn't! But… The Rito did quite enjoy the feeling of having a fan rush after him. The feathery fan in his hand was opened as he fanned himself to cool off some of that excitement – but it was rather difficult to try to hide the smile on his face.
    "W-Well, it would be in poor taste to leave a fan waiting, I suppose! If you have some ink, then I could write down my autograph. On a blank page. To not ruin that, uh… Um…"
  4. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Ruairi was dangerously close to realizing the creature in front of him was an unhinged little grandma acting like a child. Her little round, cocked head beamed up at the awkwardly smiling Rito. It was of course, a mere moment as she combined all the things he had just said together to come up with an appropriate response.

"Late? No way. 'N I only have crayons. . ." she stammered, scanning the performer up and down.

The Kokiri stopped, it looked like she was rummaging through her stylish Adventure Pouch for something to write with, but it wasn't so simple. For her entire bedroom wall was plastered thick with pictographs and drawings of singers, performers, and dancers of all types. She fully intended to make a donation to her new favorite talent. Eve's hand skidded around in the bag, there were flat empty spots where her fingers were running. As if something should be there. Her arm came to a screeching halt as she looked back up at the diva divine.

"Shit on a racehorse! I'm outta rupees t' give ya. I need to find another dungeon to ransack." she spouted incessantly.

It was like some sort of inspiring revelation all at once. If neither of these two were getting paid, it was only by providence of the gods that they have buried riches to plunder somewhere else, and hopefully soon. If this kid was talking about going into the depths of a dungeon as an offhand aside to her normal conversation, pillaging temples was probably a daily occurrence for her. The truth was, she did have extra treasure hoarded somewhere. But for her to have green pocket rupees to hand out to performers, she made regular trips into dangerous territory. Something about those pieces of gold and jewels made them off limits for selling.

Even then, a large black crayon poked out of her hand and waved in the air. . . she still wanted that autograph.
  5. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Crayons. His grand autograph written in a child's scribbling book with crayons. Ruairi's posture just seemed to deflate as he sighed. This is what he'd get, taking these kinds of job for money instead of fame and recognition. The road to proper performer was a long and rocky one. He inhaled, trying to regain his pose and mood in front of his newest fan as he watched her dig through her bag for what he assumed was a better writing utensil, but…

No, her words quickly explained her true purpose: trying to find some pocket rupees to give to him. Salt in his wounds, the mere idea that a child thought they would have to give their money to him. Very odd choice of words for a child too, at that, and quite shocking to Ruairi as his eyes widened. Was this how bad of an area the docks were? The children thought staying up late watching rowdy shows was normal and that language was proper? And… Dungeons…?
    "Is… That what you call your parents' rupee purse?" The Rito tried suggesting something that might make more sense. A childish game, plundering treasure, perhaps? He grabbed the crayon with a sigh, feeling the waxy surface between his fingers, and bent down so he could write.
    "Where do you want it?"
  6. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Right as she played along and was about to show him where to sign, she recoiled and stopped. Her hand snapped back and the big crayon sunk with it. She pouted and puffed up her cheeks.

"Wait, did you say parents?! Didja? I'm the Kokiri that could be yer grandma's grandma. Just don't tell any of these people or they'll offer me their smelly alcohol, yuck!" Eve snapped, sticking a hand on her hip.

She flopped the book back up, pointing to her embarrassing drawing of the Rito.

"N' dungeons is just dungeons. Like the place you go to get rich! You wanna be RICH right?" she changed the subject.

Now she was rudely and incessantly tapping the horrific picture. It was too terrible to describe with words. The only way to identify the person drawn on the page was mostly the matching colors. However, the figure was surrounded by hearts and sparkles as if this kid really adored the Rito's performance. With her rough speech and crude actions, it was probably hard to trust anything she was saying, however. She looked like she could probably talk about dungeons and surviving their innards well into the night and until the sun came back around.
  7. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi was shocked into flinching as the child suddenly started lecturing him about her not being a child, but a Kokiri. He blinked slowly, looking down at her. Well… That would explain some of the oddities for certain, but every time he looked at the awful drawing in the book… Surely even the least artistic person in the world could do better than that after they had learned proper motor skills? The doodle looked like it belonged to a toddler. And children usually didn't like alcohol… He had trouble deciding which side was currently having more puzzle pieces for the complete picture.

But the Rito was willing to take the bait and entertain the thought for a while, now that this child-slash-Kokiri was talking about riches. He was not someone who went into dungeons to grab treasures – and he was unsure if this strange fan of his ever had actually done that, either.
    "Who doesn't? Wouldn't that be the dream," he hummed, pleased at the idea himself. That would mean he didn't have to take these kinds of silly jobs anymore and could instead focus on bettering his career. A wonderful idea, that, but…
    "…Don't the Kokiri usually have fairies?"
  8. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    The Kokiri absorbed his last question as she stood there flailing. She might have been about to talk to him about her dangerous adventures with strange and unusual people, but that could remain unsaid for at least several days. She did really want to tell him about Wollo, though. The Octorok paragon is never truly out of room for praise. She let go of that thought quickly though, as she had to answer him.

"Met a lotta' Kokiri wifout fairies. I tried to find out why too, usually they blame the fairy or the Deku Tree." she trailed off trying to think of why in all of Hyrule the other members of her race were running around without tiny fairies.

"Oh! I have one though and she's really energetic. Lil' Alice is taking a break from adventure though I think her last couple took the energy out of her. She's been in a tiny rocking chair in my house ever since. I don't want to bovver her." Evelyn driveled at the unusually patient Rito.

"Waittaminute! Don't you wanna come with me to a dungeon? Gotta buy more clothes, right? Even the sailors sitting next to me noticed those weren't real costumes." she interjected, trying to come up with a hook to help this poor guy out. ". . . I can't go with someone else, I haven't seen the other guys in months." she added, her pouty sad face returning.
  9. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi didn't know enough about the Kokiri to be able to argue about the fairies. He hadn't really seen all that many Kokiri, honestly, much less had detailed discussions with them about their way of life. The Rito gave the child a sideways glance as he mulled it over. It was still rather difficult to say if she really was just a child or a Kokiri whose fairy was at home resting… He couldn't make his mind. Was there no other way for him to figure it out?

"D-Don't blame me for the lack of budget this production had to deal with! I wasn't even part of this until recently, and I most certainly do not normally wear clothes like… These," Ruairi motioned towards his ridiculously poofy get-up and, well, the dress. Dresses weren't exactly something he wore normally. To accentuate his point, he dug out two small pouches filled with stuffing from his chest. New costumes was not on his agenda, but, well, new clothes in general was always nice… Any sane person would have just outright said no with his skill level. But the Rito couldn't stop himself from being intrigued…
    "…I don't know what you're expecting of me. Clearly I am no dungeoneer. But… Are you serious? About going to a dungeon to raid one for treasure?"
  10. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Eve pondered what he was asking about dungeons, and she was honestly glad he had questions about it. She hadn't been able to find someone to go with after that Hylian left without a word or even the slightest goodbye. Well, that and the Great Fairy she had accidentally made friends with being in the way of her spending time with Rika and Wollo.

"Would be pretty inconvenient to be honest. But this town has a port with ships, and the sea is fulla unexplored tombs. Matter-a-fact, probably more than the landlubbers can even get to. The fishing vessels pass islands on their path so gettin' let off on a spooky unexplored island is a pretty common occurrence. Just seems like we hafta build yer courage. We could even set one up for tomorrow ifya want! Ships will always drop people off for a fee, I'll pay 'em in those round golden things I keep finding." the Kokiri rambled, unaware the poor man didn't know if she was just a Hylian child or something.
  11. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Please, me needing courage?" Ruairi asked, his tone now fit for the haughty lady he was dressed up as, as he straightened his posture and took on a very confident pose, looking down at the supposed Kokiri down below. He would have flipped his hair, but there weren't too many loose strands to flip in the wig he wore.
    "You don't need more courage if you're willing to put yourself into roles like these. I'm just not insane," he continued, his now less impressive chest puffed outwards. He seemed quite sure of himself… But who would go explore some dangerous area with a child?

The Rito's gaze took another look at the child-like person in front of him. If she was a child, he was quite certain she wouldn't actually go into dungeons – or if she did, she would run away, afraid once she realized it was the real deal. That could be one way to figure it out…
    "Then again, I could use a little sea vacation. I've never even been on a boat, but the sea breeze just sounds like it could be so wonderful," Ruairi hummed, perhaps mostly thinking out loud,
    "If you manage to produce enough of those… Round golden things to pay my fare, I could accompany you for a little field trip."

If she couldn't handle a dungeon, it would literally just be that. A field trip on some island. He could enjoy himself for a while, not having to think about the show he was stuck performing for a while. If she proved to be of use, well… Perhaps she could lead him to some treasure…
  12. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Eh, sounds like a deal! At least until that Red kid comes back, we can refill our bank accounts! First thing tomorrow, meet me at pier 13 it has a big painted sign." she rambled at the Rito.

"That reminds me." Eve gestured to herself. "I should probably check in on my fairy." she mumbled.

"Goodnight my dear! First thing tomorrow!" she repeated, sidling away.

Waiting for his response, of course, she finally made her way out of the tavern. It was shockingly late for how many plans she had to execute at her house. The Kokiri wasn't skipping home either. Within minutes, a boot was slamming open the door to the cottage. The solid wooden door smashed against the siding with an ear-aching bang.

"ALICE I'M HOME." she yelled into the mostly-empty house.

Instead of a response like "don't wake the neighbors" or something a real person would say, there was silence. Eve trashed open one of her drawers near the kitchen and massaged out a crystal-clear pictograph frame. She slid open the backing and filled the opening with her signed crayon drawing of Ruairi in a dress with chest padding. The chest looked like two gigantic circles traced over and over with black crayon. She poured over the delicate signature. Eve knocked down a painting of a bell pepper and replaced the open spot with the crayon drawing.

Next, she hustled to a crooked trapdoor on the flooring and opened it to a glistening glow of metal in the candlelight. The dulled and old coins were shoveled into a small pouch and planted firmly on her teatable. She rushed over to the windowsill where a miniature rocking chair creaked next to a pot of flowers on a small decorative table. Two large moth-like wings poked out of the chair in the color of old meat, though it flickered neon pink now and then.

"You're still awake huh." she whispered toward the table.

A voice came from behind the chair, a sort of creaking, whistling girlish voice. "It starts with the prickly one. The heart of darkness, oozing with spite. They wanted revenge for what happened. The place of tornadoes and howling laughter leads to the backwards place. The voices behind the walls. The giant in armor waits there, to crush everyone."

"It's way past your bedtime Alice just lay down." she whispered to the chair.

The little winged figure fluttered out of the chair, flipped in the air and twisted around like a drunk acrobat. The little pink figure vanished into the door of a dollhouse and creeped under the sheets of a tiny bed. Eve wiped sweat off her brow. Maybe it wasn't a good time to bring her on an adventure yet. The poor little fairy wouldn't stop talking about the Armored Man. Eve's immediate thought was Julius, but he wasn't the twisted and dangerous character the fairy kept describing. Evelyn had long ago dismissed the fairy's madness but her focus on one character was worrying to the Kokiri.

Eve opened her bedroom door, which was signified by an antlered animal skull hanging in the center. The door was defaced by a crayon, depicting the words "sHerif's Room." She clicked together a bunch of latches and locks, finishing the ritual to get her door secure. At her vanity table, Eve started removing her makeup. It practically came off in layers. She stared intently at the dark circles under her eyes, which she usually hid under eyeshadow anyway. The sleepless look it gave her reminded her that it was time to hit the hay. Now in a nightgown with a picture of a pig embroidered on it, Eve hopped onto her bed. On the night table was a big glass bottle with a skull and crossbones on it. She took a swig of the strong liquid and fell back onto the pillow with her eye sockets still wide open. She was sound asleep in seconds.
  13. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi tilted his head – it didn't seem like his opinion mattered much when it came to the time of their meeting, the odd child already slipping away. He let out a sigh. It would take a long time for him to wash off all the makeup from his face and it was late – seriously, who even wanted to wake up early after staying up this late! And he had wanted a relaxing day for his little vacation…

Of course he was fashionably late the next day. It was still too early for the Rito as he had finally managed to force himself to leave the comforts of his wagon and brave the streets of Darunia. He had done what he could to freshen up and look presentable, but yawns kept escaping his mouth and it was a real fight to keep his eyes open. He wasn't familiar enough with the docks to be able to know where their meeting place was right off the bat, but luckily it was easy to follow the numbers to the right spot – or at least, what he assumed would lead him to the right spot.

Ruairi was far from the lady of noble birth now that he was out of costume. His hair was now his own, and though it still was white and styled up, it couldn't rival the poofiness of a fancy wig. Long gone was the fancy dress, replaced with something that could possibly stand up to cold and wind – or worse, some wear and tear, and his his footwear of choice was a pair of boots that fit his feet. The Rito did bring some proper adventuring gear just in case, though of course he wanted to wear some nicer accents and jewelry on as well. His face was no longer chalk-white from powder nor did he have those ridiculously long fake eyelashes on – but even though the pair was supposed to head to an oh-so-dangerous dungeon out there on an abandoned island somewhere, he did at the very least need some lipstick and some blush and a little bit of contouring here and there and something to make his eyes pop a bit…
  14. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Drool stained the sheets of Evelyn's bed. Her neck jerked upright and she smeared the liquid with the back of her wrist as she tried to figure out what time it was. How bothersome, it was overcast. She bounced up on her bed and looked at her Cucco Clock. Gears and springs were protruding from the sides, looks like she smashed it out of frustration a few days ago. Eve picked at a glass of water on the table, the water was fuzzy and stagnant. She forgot to put her eyes away before going to sleep. She was better off, as the water was filthy.

Eve remembered Ruairi talking about going on vacation. So, before preparing her entire outfit for the day, she set aside materials for her Transform Ego spell. She designed an outfit using the tall mirror on her closet door. It was a little crude but she wanted to make sure it was ready for later. With her final steps she got into her armored dress and boots, making sure they were cleaned off enough to last the trip. Soon she was knocking on the dollhouse in the main room of the house.

"Alice! Wake up it's Picking Day!" she commanded the Tiny Fairy. The pink fairy was tasked with picking an entire row of grown carrots in the garden with her bare hands. It was mostly to give her something to do so that she would remain somewhat healthy. Eve snatched up the sack of coins from the tea table and shoved open the now-loose front door.

Making her way to the waterfront, Eve passed by a lot of shady early morning characters. She hopped down the steps through a treeline and past some stray animals. There was a lot of downward movement to get to the water as things tended to be. She spotted the boarded pathway which led to the piers. She walked past some sailors on the way north to the 13th pier. She found Ruairi in boots in front of a familiar sign. Two major piers split off from where the sign was, it boasted two arrows pointing down each one. It read <- 13A and 13B -> in a pretty understandable way. One of the piers- 13A was guarded by a tall Deku Scrub. He was wearing a necktie with pinstripes and had some kind of sword strapped to his back. His arms were folded in front of himself and his face was permanently saying he was disinterested in people's shit. Some kind of shady organization was in charge of roughly half the docks area, almost arbitrarily so.

"Rito-person! You made it today!" she waved, looking much the way she did the night before.

"My name's Evelyn, or just Eve." she imposed while shaking her bag of coins.

She turned, and eyed the Deku Scrub warily. She didn't want to point out her own mistake but it did look like, for all intents and purposes that they were probably meant to go down the pier that wasn't blocked. . . or were they?
  15. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi had stopped in front of the sign, glaring at it in disbelief. He had managed to find this pier labeled 13 after all… Except it was split into two. The child hadn't mentioned anything like that, she had just said 13 – but just 13 didn't exist! He could feel muscles in his face twitch. Was it a joke? Had she done this on purpose just to lead him on? He glanced to the side, at the rather intimidatingly tall Deku Scrub guarding one of the piers. Ruairi honestly didn't want to know if he wanted to get involved with that. Would he even walk away alive…?

A familiar voice behind him was welcome, despite how irritating it was. He looked over his shoulder to meet the Kokiri-child from the last night, the very same one he was supposed to meet. The Rito was a bit annoyed that she had come after him – if he knew he had extra time, he could have shut his eyes for a little longer…
    "Oh. You came," Ruairi spoke, almost like he had expected her to stay at home, and turned around. At least she had been serious about the meeting.
    "…Right. I never did introduce myself. I'm Ruairi," he continued, when the girl also mentioned her name. It was funny, neither of them had even known what the other was called, yet they had set up a meeting to go on a boat trip together, with the possibility of a dungeon – if the child was actually a Kokiri worth something, that was.
    "There is no pier 13. Which one of these did you mean?"

Eve had to know, right? She was the one who had called him here, to this very place. Surely she had an actual plan.
  16. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Oh yeah, that's my fault I think." she held a hand to her chin and thought about it.

"It's all here friend! Read 'em and weep." she gestured to the Deku Scrub. He didn't budge.

Evelyn walked over and jangled around the sack of metal. She smiled at the Deku Scrub who was practically the same height as her. The corners of her mouth curved up into a little "V" shape as her weird eyes locked onto the gangster's face. The Scrub's hand finally twisted out from his other arm and held the sack of coins.

"These ain't rupees." he grunted.

"Yeah but, but but but." she started, clenching her little fists in front of herself. "You can trade them for a lotta rupees. The guy who trades them doesn't get here 'til midweek."

The Deku Scrub sighed and stepped aside. "Just go." he hastily murmured. The pier led to a number of different boats, though most of them were unused. A vessel surrounded by sailors and fishermen hauling rope and preparing castoff was near the end of the pier. About five sailors were lifting unmarked barrels and placing them in an unassuming spot on the pier. After seeing that guard-like fellow, it wasn't too hard to guess these sailors were hiding something. Suddenly, two of the sailors from the Tavern last night stepped aside.

"Apple juice." one of them muttered with his face contorted. "This is who we're picking up?" the other one protested.

Evelyn dug through her Adventure Pouch and pulled out a full piece of parchment. It looked like a big, complicated document but it was written entirely in crayon.

"Fuck's this supposed to be." the sailor erupted. "We're supposed to ferry people but I think I take exception to this." the other muttered, dragging his fingers across his face.

They noticed Ruairi nearby, and remembered both of them from the previous night. They two whispered to each other when they saw the Rito. It looked like they were trying desperately to decide whether the passengers were worth it.
  17. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi was keen to see how it was going to go, once she noticed Eve head towards the Scrub. That Deku certainly looked like the kind that would make sure you ended up sleeping with the fishes, so he was interested in knowing what the magic words were to get him to step aside. It just… Didn't seem like it was really working. The Rito raised an eyebrow and felt dread creeping up to him. The child had made such a big thing about having some shinies that she implied everyone wanted, yet the Deku Scrub was not interested. Of course he wasn't, they weren't rupees! Everyone wanted rupees! Oh why did he get involved in this, why had he gotten his hopes so high? It didn't seem like this was getting anywhere.

Somehow, miraculously, the Deku moved aside, though. Perhaps he too was just so done with the eccentric child and found this the easier method of dealing with her. Ruairi couldn't blame him, but he took advantage of the situation and walked past the Scrub with Eve. But now they had to find a ship and a crew still…

Foolishly, the Rito had some hope that maybe the kid had this for once, when he saw her digging up some kind of paper to present to the burly men. Except… No. Of course not. The sailors had a very understandable reaction to seeing what Eve surely herself had scribbled up. Ruairi sighed. He understood that feeling very well. He took a deep inhale, wiped the misery off his face and just brightened up when he looked back up.

"Ah, you must be the fine men who are in charge of this ferrying business! How wonderful! I have never been to the sea in my entire life and I am just so excited to finally be able to experience it thanks to all of you!" Ruairi started in an excited tone as he stepped past the kid and walked up to the sailors like he hadn't heard what they had said and they would have to tell the disappointing new right to his face if they decided to not take them along. If he could get any of them to offer him their hand, he would of course give them a firm handshake with both of his hands.
    "This child here says that she has found some treasures that you would like! Oh how I hope they will be to your liking."
  18. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Aw, treasures." she shook her bag and looked up at Ruairi. "This wannae part o' the plan." she mumbled, frustrated.

She knew someone on the boat knew who she was or she wouldn't have been confident in coming today. However, these two sailors weren't going to just let her pass. She dug around her bag for something shiny. A crystal bottle emerged from the heart-shaped flap. It was completely filled with something dark and red.

"How 'bout this Red Potion?" she shoved the bottle toward one of the sailors.

"Ain't potions, uh, redder than this?" the sailor refused, confused.

"Look buddy I paid the fare." she whined, shaking the bottle around. The sticky red substance moved like molasses in the jar.

Eve dropped the bottle back in her pouch and turned her attention back to the paper. It was complicated to say the least. So many words may not have even been in her vocabulary. It had some kind of wax seal on the end too, like some sort of marked scroll or letter. One thing was absolutely clear, this little weirdo spent an enormous amount of time on it.

"This paper says..." she trailed off, looking at it again. "Wait a minute."

She pulled a thick book out of her Adventure Pouch. The Book of Mudora flapped open, its secrets exposed to the world. She found a page something like eighty or so pages deep. Her finger ran over the words and she thought very hard to herself.

"It says 'disclosure' on there." Eve started, reading over the word a couple times. "It's a non-disclosure agreement."

The air was thick with silence as she uttered that last part. What kind of horrendous nonsense was this girl up to? She bent her mouth up once again into the most arrogant looking smile. Rika told her all about documents and legal agreements, a really bad mistake on his part. Her nose turned up, she began to explain the travesty.

"I don't tell anyone about this, obviously. But you all can't tell anyone where I'm going or why. This incredible celebrity with me is included in that. It's a basic mutual contract. I know Wilson will vouch for me." she boasted, looking up at the sailors.

"Bullshit you don't know Wilson, you're a kid." the taller of the two sailors pointed out.

"No! No! Wilson's dad worked for me, I'm a Kokiri who used to sail this port." she blathered, flailing an arm in the direction of the stack of barrels.

The shorter sailor clapped his hands together as if he'd solved some kind of mystery. Earlier in the century there was a major ban on certain materials. Back when the Royal Family had political control over Hyrule, many of the regulations were unusually strict. The seas were all filthy with pirates and smugglers back then, to an unnatural degree compared to their little operation. That Kokiri wasn't dressed like a real sailor, but the stories all matched and added up in that moment.

"Fine, I'll buy your story. But why does someone as old as you act like such a miserable little whelp?! Yer a real barnacle kid." he railed.

The other sailor spoke up. "Yeh paid, 'n there's the both of ya. Just get on the ship and I'll talk to Wilson later. Over a hard drink most like." he spat, sneering to the clouded sky.

A pirate? This annoying brat was a pirate?
  19. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi just fluttered his eyelashes at the sailors, hoping to get through them. Eve did agree to pay whatever it cost to get them on the ship, so she only had herself to blame if there was something she had to part with. It didn't seem like that was going all so well, the Rito looking back and forth at the conversation that took place, a slight frown again appearing on his face. He had no idea what was going on with the paper and the book and everything else – nor did he have any idea about who some Wilson was, either. The story sounded odd and not very believable, but perhaps they should have been happy that the sailors bought it. Somehow. Ruairi's eyes narrowed, looking at every participant in this odd spat. He didn't have nearly enough information to make anything out of it.

Still, as they were allowed to board, the Rito took his chance and walked up the gangplank to the deck. He was rather curious as he looked around some, taking some steps around to see how a ship like this looked up close. The deck did not feel steady, gently bopping up and down with the water. Such constant motion might have been odd to most, but Ruairi had also lived most of his life on the move, with the constant vibrations of a wagon underneath him. Still, it was a bit different, but as of now, it wasn't uncomfortable, either.

Once he had most of his curiosity sated with a quick tour, he gravitated towards Eve again. It seemed like the sailors had accepted her as a Kokiri. Honestly, Ruairi still couldn't quite tell. Was she just good at spinning stories, or was that the truth? He didn't know how many actual kids could have held their own against such intimidating men, though.
    "So. What was all that, then?" He asked the girl.
  20. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    In that moment as they nestled into their seats on the boat, Eve absorbed Ruairi's question and tried to remember her own life story. It was no use, she didn't remember much of it. The important thing was her relation to these people, anyway.

"Lotsa adventure people run around, but I prefer boats." she started, thinking about their situation. "Used ta smuggle stuff for people but that was over. . ." she counted years on her fingers, one by one. "At least over fifty years ago."

She took out her blank paper and started drawing. She drew a picture of a boat with billowing sails. Then in the picture was something that looked like herself in a green outfit with a big anchor. She thought to herself for a bit, for such a selfish and impatient person she actually didn't know much about herself.

"Before the whole Ganon thing, we just got rich off tradin' stuff and sinkin' each other's ships." she admitted, remembering a large group of tough pirates at once.

"Don't get me wrong though. It's mostly good luck I didn't fall in the water 'n drown." she added, sullenly.

As she spoke and explained, the ropes were being hoisted. The ship was mostly ready to sail before they got in a spat with the crew. Had she talked to someone on the boat already? Neither of the adventurers had discussed where they were being dropped off at all. The ship's captain had something in mind for the two. His sailors were explaining the presence of a certain Kokiri. His first mate, this "Wilson" fellow was standing by silently. The captain wasn't happy about it, but he was paid well by the little runt every time he brought her somewhere dangerous. She had previously explained a variety of exploits involving a prominent Hylian Guard and their liberation of island populations from some menagerie of monsters. He wasn't going to split hairs, this made their entire operation look legitimate. He did question thoroughly the absence of the Guard Captain but his best explanation was that the guy was extremely busy. Poor man was probably stapled to a desk somewhere sorting legal documents.

Once on course, the ship's captain left the helm and excused himself through a small crowd of fishermen. He worked his way over to the two mismatched adventurers. His beard hung down like the end of a sharpened pencil. His understated hat put his face in shadow under the cloudy sky.

"Evelyn, m- sir. . ." he stuttered, examining the poshly dressed Rito boy. "This brazen little one probably didn't explain everything. I'm under orders of Captain Surgate to drop her off. Among my 'fishing' operation it really lines my pockets. I was under the impression that old codger was morally lacking, to trust our crew and also to send the little one by herself. I'm actually overjoyed you're accompanying her. No offense little princess but I don't exactly trust you alone doing anything." he droned, slapping her with that comment at the end.

"Uncalled for! Julie trusts me. See?" she argued with the sea dog.

Eve lifted up the sheet of paper with all the nonsensical writing on it. There was a red wax seal on the end where it was originally rolled together. The wax seal gleamed as she thrust it up toward his face.

"That seal means nothin' lass. He probably gave you the stamper to play with like a toy." the captain grunted, looking down.