A Healthy Encounter [Squishy Panther] [COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Southern Hyrule' started by Blonde Panther, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    A Healthy Encounter
    - Horus Falconer, Ikanan Swordsman (3/2/4 Hylian) [Blonde Panther] Reward: Mortal Draw, -40 Rupees.
    - Luna, the Ice Princess (1/5/3 Hylian) [Blonde Panther] Reward: Ice Loftwing, -85 Rupees.
    - Morgan Liesmith, Ikanan Refugee (2/1/5 Hylian) [Squishy] Reward: Longshot, +40 Rupees.
    Discussion

He exhaled, his eyes shut, focused on the blood coursing through his veins carrying oxygen to the muscles in his arms. Oxygen, and maybe a little bit more. The fingers of one hand grasped the sheath around his waist tightly, raising it slightly to bring the hilt of the blade within it in an easier position to grab. The fingers of the other hand had grasped that hilt, tightening around it so hard that his knuckles had turned white. As he exhaled, he forced himself to relax his hand ever so slightly- this was what he always did wrong, he knew it.

Suddenly, without prior warning, his eyes flew open and he unsheathed the blade, stepping forward as he violently swung it diagonally upwards to form one line with his right shoulder. The improvised training dummy he and Bernard had fashioned from straw and wood snapped in half and fell over, as normal, but it didn't splinter and shatter as Horus had expected to see. "...damn." He sheathed his blade again as Luna came over to gauge the damage. She'd been watching him practice and took the top half of the training dummy in her hands as Horus shook his head. "I just can't get it right."

"You should stop for today," Luna said, looking at the row of at least five dummies Horus had maimed in a similar way to this one. "You're getting tired, your swings are becoming less powerful. You should rest and try again tomorrow."

Horus wanted to protest -he was so close!- when Bertrand's voice resonated from behind them. "Trying to get Pierce's special technique down?" Horus turned around to see the blonde bear of a man approach them, his massive axe over his shoulder. "Don't worry about it. If I can't pull it off, I don't think you'll be able to anytime soon either. You're probably better off going to the higher areas of Ikana and finding a green, vine-like herb."

"What?" Horus said, so startled by the strangeness of that request that he forgot to kick Bertrand for doubting him. He WAS trying to learn the move his father had used several times as they had come to Ikana. he had seen Pierce kill unusually tough enemies within the motion of unsheathing his blade a few times, and wanted to be able to do the same thing- it'd save him strength and time in the long run, make him a more efficient protector for Luna. But the reason he was mad at Bertrand was because the same thought had crept up on the redhead. Maybe he wasn't good enough to learn his father's special move. He shook the thought and continued, having gotten no response from Bertrand. "That's oddly specific. You trying to get high?"

"I wish." Bertrand shook his head. "It's Freddie. Remember how he got bitten by a zombie before you, Luns, and Little Miss Priestess set out for the castle and all the drama that ensued from it?" Horus nodded. "Well, it's gotten worse. He can hardly move, and the wound's getting really nasty. Probably best if you stayed away from it, Luns. We don't eat enough that we can afford for you to lose your lunch." He smiled as he said it, but Horus knew his godfather was dead serious. "Anyway, Allison once told me that the cure for Redead bites is a green, vine-like herb that grows in Ikana's highlands, and that we'd recognise it when we saw it. We can't leave Freddie unattended, so only two of us can go- and I know better than to think I can separate you and your better half."

Horus turned red in the face. Bertrand had been saying things like that about him and Luna for the better part of the past year and it never failed to embarrass him. "F-fine," he said. "Let me get my crossbow and we'll be off. If you don't mind, of course, Luna."

"I know what herb he's talking about," was all the Ice Mage said, "It shouldn't be too hard to reach."

"I'm just gonna take that as a yes."
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

It was an unusually hot day, Morgan decided.

He had taken a break from training in the sweltering sun, sitting in the shade of an overhanging rock, trying to fan himself with his hand. His meagre food supply was starting to run dangerously low, with only a few strips of dried meat and a single edible herb left. Perhaps it was a good idea to call training off for the rest of the day, and set off in search of food. And perhaps some water, Morgan thought when he held his waterskin upside down. Even his water was gone, though that was slightly easier to get by, even though he lived in a desertlike place.

With a groan, Morgan got up, and streched his back. He pulled his needles and dagger out of his makeshift target, which was nothing more than a crudely, hammered-together board with a circle painted on it, and tucked them into their respective places in his sleeves and in his belt.

Water he could get from a small stream between the rocks slightly higher up the cliffs, though if he wanted meat he had to travel further and far higher up the mountains, one of the few places in Ikana were actual plants could grow.

"Alright then, let's get going."
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "C'mon, give me your hand." Horus held out his own hand for Luna to grab, pulling her up the ledge. They'd been walking and climbing for at least twenty minutes now, stopping on occasion so Horus could take aim at a passing Guay. He'd only hit one of the four he'd taken aim at thus far, and Luna now carried the dead bird over her shoulder, its talons tied together with a tough vine she'd found and held on to. If they could shoot another one, they'd have a feast tonight. "So, where's this herb grow?"

"Not much farther now. Do you see that?" Luna walked over to a lonely tree that watched over the river below the cliffs, and bent down to grab a large-leafed weed that grew around its roots. She snapped its stalk and showed it to Horus. "The leaves on the herb are similar to this one," she explained as she held out the leaf to show him, while putting the stalk in her mouth. She swallowed it before she continued. "We should be at the right height. Now it's just a matter of finding a tree that it grows from..." She turned back to the tree, inspecting its branches.

"Step back," Horus said, stretching an arm to illustrate his words. "I'll go see." With those words, he took his grappling hook to hand and started spinning the rope, looking for a good spot to latch the hook onto.
  4. Squishy

The sun burned onto Morgan's head as he scaled the walls of the canyon.

His hookshot was a great help in the few spots where there were trees for it to attach to, but the top part of the wall was all rock, forcing Morgan to clamber his way up by hand. It was hard work, and by the time he hauled himself over the edge he was gasping for air. Heavy exercise made his lungs burn, as if some sort of invisible belt was pulled tight around them robbing him of the breath he needed, a lasting effect of the illness that had taken his parents away and nearly himself a well.

He was sitting on his knees, trying to take som deep breaths, when he heard it. It was faint, but he certainly heard something...

Could it really be? Voices?

Morgan scrambled over, hiding behind a few rocks and listened closely.
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Well," Horus said, jumping back out of the tree and using the rope of his grappling hook to help break his fall, "I don't know what you've been researching, but there's nothing in that tree that looks remotely like what you showed me before." He unhooked his hook and took it back, although not putting it away because they would need it to climb further.

Luna only shrugged. "Then this particular tree doesn't have one. There should be more of them up ahead, higher up on the cliff." She looked up against the side of the cliff, examining it along with Horus. "Do you see any footrests we can use?"

"You're pretty hardcore for a girl your size, you know that?" Horus chuckled. "I wasn't looking for footrests, but I can't find a passage that we can climb relatively easily so those may be our only option. Do you see anything I can--" He cut himself off, turning around abruptly and scanning the hill behind them.

"Horus?"

"Sht. I heard something." Luna elected not to tell him that between birds, Stalfos, and other creatures, she would be more worried if he HADN'T heard something. If he felt the need to point it out, then he had heard something out of the ordinary. "I think we're being watched." Taking his hook and its rope in one hand, he drew his sword with the other. "Who's there?"
  6. Squishy

Morgan's heart skipped a beat. He was definitely hearing voices, which meant there was something capable of speaking normal words on the other side of the rocks. Or, at least, that was a possibility. There was this one time when he had been convinced his elder brother had suddenly shown up in the canyon, but when he passed out and woke up later again it turned out he had been talking to a dead tree for hours on end, dehydration having made him delirious enough to hallucinate. And it had been quite warm and quite a while since he last had a drink...

He was still crouched behind the rocks, trying to figure out wether or not he was hallucinating, when he heard the sound of a weapon scraping against a scabbard. If this was a hallucination, it was not a pleasant one.

Morgan put his hands on top the rock, and carefully peeked over it, right into the face of a slightly large, slightly angry and not-so-slightly armed man.

"Oh. Uh. ...Hey there?"
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Horus wasted no time. When the skinny, blonde man popped up from behind the rock he had wanted to stand on to get a better view of the area, he dropped his grappling hook to grab him by the collar. "There you are," he said, sounding far calmer than he had expected. He dragged the man to more level ground and dropped him there, between Luna and himself. Not giving him time to get up and defend himself, the redhead lowered his sword, very lightly pressing the tip against the blonde's throat.

Luna wandered off towards where Horus had dropped the hook, picking it up so he wouldn't have to collect it later. As she straightened herself again, however, she frowned. Were those traces of magic she sensed..? It was vague, and very far away, but something felt funny. She turned back to Horus, just in time to see him start to interrogate the newcomer.

"Who are you?" he asked, "Why were you following us?"
  8. Squishy

It definitely was not a hallucination, Morgan decided, as the tip of the sword felt alarmingly real against his throat.

For a moment he just sat there, staring at the man, not really realising he was asked several questions. Suddenly seeing other, living people was quite a shock. Perhaps too big a shock as his mind seemed to have grounded to a halt for a moment.

"You're... real? I mean, really real?" He finally managed to croak out.

Morgan looked down at the sword, raising his hands to touch the blade. The cold steel felt surprisingly solid under his fingers. And sharp too, he found out when he accidentally cut one of his fingers on the edge.

"Oh, that's sharp. Nice sword."

That seemed to pull his attention back to the man standing over him. The blonde Hylian swallowed nervously.

"I-I wasn't following you! I live here! ...Or at least, I live down in the canyon." He spluttered, shrugging at this last words. "I haven't seen people, real people in ages! Where do you guys even come from?"
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    The man's behaviour took Horus aback, and he glanced over to Luna, who had started to walk over to them with his hook in her hands and her attention somewhere off to the side. He spared a quick look in the same direction as her, but seeing nothing, turned back to the man. His behaviour reminded him of the Ice Mage a bit. After speaking with his male companions on the subject several times, he had learnt that Luna's often strange mannerisms were caused by an illness of sorts, something that went wrong in her mind rather than in her body.

"Are you..." he started, trailing off as he lowered his sword. "Then you're probably harmless. Come here." He held out his hand to help the man up. "I can assure you we're real. Did you say you lived in the canyon?" He looked the man over again. He'd been seeing a lot of outsiders lately, but this guy looked about as run-down and used to hardship as he and Luna were. "Huh. We live just down the cliffside here, not far from the castle actually." He didn't bother pointing as the man would likely misinterpret the gesture. "I'm Horus, and this is Luna, my..."

He trailed off again and almost bit his tongue off to keep him from forming the word he'd started to make. Luna gave him a look and finished his sentence for him, tilting her head as if he was the slow one: "...companion," she said, and Horus felt the relieved sigh leaving him more than he realised he physically made it.

He turned back to the blonde, not bothering to hide his embarrassment because neither would connect the dots anyway. "Let me ask again, who are you? How have you survived in here on your own?"
  10. Squishy

"Huh, alright then. You seem awfully flustered if she's just your 'companion'." Morgan said with a grin. The man had changed his demanour incredibly fast, almost as if he seemed to think the blonde was not entirely... sound of mind. Oh well, as long as he did not threaten to cut his throat, all the better.

"Anyway, guess that's your business. I'm Morgan." He thought a while before answering the second question. "I suppose just like you guys? I came here to grow stronger. Sure, at first it was lonely and tough, but once you know how to get food and shelter I suppose it's okay. You get used to the loneliness... Or rather, I just forgot there were other people at all. I guess you go a little weird in the head after a while. Hence why, uh... I was kind of really surprised to find you guys." He paused, aware of that he was suddenly confessing his life story to a total stranger, and sheepishly grinned. "Sorry, I'm really not used to company."

There was a moment of silence, as Morgan was unsure of what to say.

"So, yeah... What's your story then?"
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Crap. The stranger DID catch on. Horus turned his face away from the stranger and Luna, regaining his composure. He did hear Morgan's question, but took a while to respond. Would he tell him? He was used to the people surrounding him knowing his life story- growing up in Rauru until the invasion, fleeing to Ikana, and losing his parents- when he got to that point, he felt his jaw clench and he decided that no, he did not want to talk about it. He turned back to Morgan. "Long and boring," he brusquely said. "Not something I'm keen to tell."

Luna, in the meantime, had spent some more time looking around waiting for Horus to finish up his conversation. She stopped and focused her attention on a small tree on the top of a cliff yet above them and sighed, prompting a sound from Horus that she recognised as indicating that he had redirected his attention to her. "There's another one up there," she said. "We might have more luck there."

"Right," he said. He then turned back to Morgan, raising his hand once more in greeting. "We should be going. One of our companions is suffering from an infected ReDead bite and the reason we're here in the first place is to find a cure. Unless you have a long, dark green vine with heart-shaped leaves that bleeds a clear, thin sap when snapped, we'll be going now."
  12. Squishy

"Heart-shaped leaves...?" Morgan scratched his chin, deep in thought. That sounded pretty familiar. "I think I know which one you mean, but you're not gonna find it down here. Only grows up where it's colder, so you've still got quite a bit to climb."

The blonde Hylian scrambled up, dusting off his clothes.

"Actually, I'm gonna join you two. I'm low on everything save for dust..." He muttered, shaking out a few pebbles from his boot. "I need some green stuff to eat, you know. Just meat and water isn't such a great idea, and I'm speaking from experience here."

Morgan walked over to Luna, giving her a cheery smile in lieu of a greeting, before looking up at the shrivelled tree above them. After carefully checking and aiming his hookshot, he pulled the trigger, hearing the hook embed itself in the wood with a satisfying 'thud'.

"Alright, I'm all set to go!"
  13. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Morgan knew where to find it! Horus immediately spun as the stranger invited himself into their company, and raised an eyebrow when he pulled out a hookshot and connected it to a tree on the ledge above them. Climbing that ledge would take a while, Horus figured, and there was no way all three of them could travel by hookshot at once. He knew better than to think Morgan would throw it down towards them so they could get up there, themselves, too, so there really was only one way to go about this. "Luns," he said, turning to the mage, "Go with him." To Morgan, he said, "Take her with you up there, I'll take the long way around."

Luna gave a quick nod, then walking over to Morgan and very hesitantly putting her arms around his neck, hoping she didn't impede his movement that way. "Don't worry about me," she heard Horus say, "I'm a decent climber. I'll meet you two up there." With that, the redhead hurried off, looking for rocks to serve as footholds so he could climb up there.
  14. Squishy

Morgan let out a surprised 'oh' when Horus explained his course of action, and sending his companion along with him. Not that his hookshot could not bear the weight of two people, especially not if both of them weighed little. Morgan himself had never been heavy, and the woman appeared to be a lithe as she was silent. Or at least towards himself. A bit of an odd quirk, the blonde decided. Maybe she was just shy.

As she draped her arms around his neck, he craned his head to give her a grin.

"Hold on tight, okay? Here we go!"

He pulled the trigger, sending the two of them flying upwards to where the hookshot had been anchored, scaling the cliff in a matter of mere seconds. Though since the other man had insisted on climbing, it would be a while before he would reach them, and a while before they would be able to move on.

Morgan pulled the end of the hookshot from the tree, fillding with the chain a bit before letting the device hang in his hands. He was unsure how to break the silence between him and his quiet companion. It was clear that she could speak, as she had done so to Horus.

"So, uh... Luna, was it?" Morgan started off awkardly, trying to think of a subject. "How long've you been here for?"
  15. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Luna held on in silence as the two flew up to the top of the cliff, and let go as soon as she knew they were on stable ground. She was always a little uneasy when Horus wasn't around to protect her. At least, however, Morgan seemed to have no ill intentions, but she still felt the strong urge to keep a leg or a spell ready. She only gave a nod when he asked her to confirm her name, and looked away when he asked how long they had been here.

How long had it been..? She didn't remember much of the day she had been forced to flee her home, although she suspected magic had been involved. Horus had found her and taken her with him as his family fled to Ikana, she remembered that... but how long ago was that? It was so hard to say. How old had Horus been when she had first met him? How old had she been? That was impossible to say with certainty. "...years," she only answered. "We haven't counted." Unsure of what to do now, she fiddled with the ring on her finger as she looked in the direction she knew him to be in. He wouldn't take long- between his Roc's Feather, his Dolphin Slash, and his grappling hook, he was good at travelling vertically. But should she wait for him or continue their search..?

She shook her head. "And you?" she asked, almost hesitatingly. Fair was fair; she was as confused as Horus was to see another living person here.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  16. Squishy

"Me, oh..." Morgan tried counting on his fingers, quietly muttering to himself. How long exactly had he been here already? All alone and without any kind of structure to his life, days, weeks and even months seemed to blend into one big dusty mass. "I guess the same. Though I used to live with my brothers before. Then I came here, alone, and well..."

He sat down on a rock, not sure how long they were going to have to wait for Horus to return. Should he have asked him if he had wanted to use the hookshot as well? It might have been polite. Then again, Morgan had never been part of polite society, all his life that had been completely and utterly clear to him. First there had been the box in the backalley, too small to fit both him and his brothers, so the eldest gave up his spot to Morgan since he was the sickly one. Then Locke had managed to move them to another corner of town, where they build a shelter from whatever material they had found. And then there was Ikana.

But life before the canyon seemed ages ago.

Morgan shrugged, not entirely sure what else to say to Luna.

"Spend most of my time here alone until I met you guys. But Horus said there were more of you?"
  17. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Yes," Luna said. "There are four of us: Horus, myself, Frederick, and Bertrand." She hesitated, but figured she might as well kill the time until Horus arrived. He wasn't far. "Frederick is the one who was bitten by a ReDead. He's become terribly ill as a result, which is why Horus and I are looking for a cure. Bertrand is watching over him in hopes that it won't get worse until we return." She hoped so. Having an odd number of them would mean they'd have to stick together with the three of them, meaning she and Horus would no longer have time alone. "Horus and I usually work together. We complement each other."

Speak of the devil: Horus suddenly launched into view, managing to manoeuvre himself above the ledge before making a hard landing. "Sorry about the delay," he said, pointing over his shoulder. "Ran into a bunch of Bubbles halfway up. Wouldn't listen to reason so I had to take them out." He sheathed his sword, walking over to the others. "May want to keep an eye out for more of them. It's been a while since I saw them this active. What next?"
  18. Squishy

Morgan blinked, trying to process the information. So there were more people around Ikana. He felt a pang of... was it homesickness? Jealousy? Hard as all their lives were, at least Luna and Horus seemed to have a small group around them, whereas Morgan had been all alone.

But his train of thought was disrupted by Horus pulling himself over the cliff edge. The blonde rose, forcing a smile on his face. Best not to dwell on it.

"Next is one of the best parts! We're going to head up into the mountains, up there," Morgan pointed at a series of tall peaks in the distance. "It's quite far, but if I remember correctly, the plant you're looking for grows only at great heights. But I suppose we're lucky it's not winter, snow tends to make the area impossible to reach."

He put the hookshot back on his belt. From here on, they were going to encounter precious few trees or soft spots to use it on. Most of the way would be steep and narrow mountain trails, treacherous ledges and likely even rough parts they could scale straight up. It would not be easy, but up between the mountaintops they would be able to find this plant they were looking for, Horus and Luna having a dire need for it, Morgan understood.
  19. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Oh boy. Horus remembered those mountains all too well, and he was none too keen on revisiting them. Last time he had been there, they had lost the vast majority of the people travelling with them to Ganon's troops. "...we don't have to go over them into Southern Hyrule Field, do we?" he asked. "I mean, Ikana is no Paradise, but if memory serves it's a hell of a lot safer than what's on the other side of those mountains."

"Barely anything grows in Southern Hyrule Field," Luna reassured him. "What we're looking for must be in the mountains themselves."

"Good. In that case, I suggest we get a move o-" Horus stopped in the middle of his sentence, turning around. "...crud. They brought their friends." He gave no further explanation before jerking his crossbow off his back and putting a bolt in it, leaving Morgan and Luna to turn around and see the problem for themselves.

A sizeable flock of Bubbles in varying colours had shown up, hovering over the edge that Horus had come into view through as well, and paused to take in the three Hylians. Luna reached for her whip, not sure if it would be any use, but at least it had slightly more range than her legs and would allow her to attack more safely.
  20. Squishy

"Hyrule Field? Oh, no, I wouldn't dare to go there on my own! No, our destination is high up these mountains. I really hope you guys dressed warmly, by the way..."

Morgan was startled by Horus' sudden movement. Following the other man's gaze, he saw they had been followed. For a moment, the only sound was the flapping of the Bubbles' wings and the clacking of their teeth. But that quickly changed when the flock decided to attack. They swooped down at the travellers with a screech, Morgan hopping out of the way and flinging a handful of needles at the closest one.

It shrieked as the needles stuck in its bony skull, though it was not enough to down the creature. Something heavier was needed for that... Morgan retrieved his hookshot again, aiming it at the bubble and pulling the trigger. The sharp iron hook, along with the cracks caused by the needles, completely shattered the Bubble on impact.

That was one down, and many more to go.