A Healthy Encounter [Squishy Panther] [COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Southern Hyrule' started by Blonde Panther, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Horus found himself surrounded within seconds, waiting for the flames on the Green Bubbles to die so he could hit them while trying to avoid the Jinx the Blue ones would inflict on him if they were to hit him. Fighting them was simple in theory, but in practice they were always so incredibly annoying. One doused itself to try and collide with him, but if it was a collision it wanted, it was a collision it could get, and a moment later the skull flew through the air, only to slam into a nearby tree and shattering. Horus lowered his leg and spun, swinging his sword to nail another one.

With Horus occupied with his own personal posse, Luna couldn't rely on his protection when a Red Bubble came bouncing towards her. Fortunately, she was a quick thinker, and she enchanted her whip before lashing towards the thing. The ice and the fire cancelled each other out, but the speed with which the leather tip connected to the skull caused a loud snap to ring out and the bone to crack. Thinking herself safe, she turned around to Horus and raised her free hand, conjuring up an ice spike. A good kick sent it soaring and it collided with one of the Blue Bubbles surrounding the redhead.

Horus took advantage of the opening this created to raise his foot again. Fed up with being surrounded, he focused what magic he had in his body into his foot and delivered a vicious kick to the nearest skulls. The impact sent them, and the ones surrounding them, flying, breaking most of them and disorienting the rest. He wasn't home free yet, but at least he got some breathing space as he sheathed his blade and turned to Morgan. "You alive over there?"
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Morgan whirled around, taking down another Bubble with the hookshot and elbowing another that came too close. He noticed a last one trying to creep up on Horus, and quickly dispatched it as well. After warning the other Hylian. It would be bad for the general mood if he had hit him in the face with a very sharp and very fast pointy bit.

"Alive and kicking. I think that's all of 'em?" Morgan leant with his hands on his knees. Though the battle had not been as physically demanding as climbing the cliff, but he was out of breath all the same. He was going to have to train a whole lot harder if he ever wanted to consider himself strong enough to make the return journey to the north. He took a few deep breaths, until the burning in his lungs ebbed away, before standing up straight.

"I really hope that was the last of them, anyway."

To his great embarassement, Morgan's stomach gave a loud, very audible growl.

"Oh, uh... maybe time for a short break? Lunch maybe?"
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Horus dove to avoid being struck by Morgan's Hookshot, turning and using his crossbow to take out the last Bubble hovering towards Luna's back. The mage spun in surprise, not having noticed its approach, but both soon calmed down when they established that it had, in fact, been the last one. Horus turned to Morgan, who seemed more winded than they did. "Not used to combat?" he asked, wondering how someone like that had survived on his own in Ikana for years.

Luna had noted Morgan's remark about lunch and wanted to say that they hadn't brought anything to eat, when she saw a flock of large, black birds flying overhead. "Horus, your crossbow," she said. Horus looked up and saw the birds, too.

"No time," he said, drawing his sword. "No worries, I've got this." He set his feet firmly onto the ground, pointing the tip of his sword up although he kept it at chest-height, and took a deep breath. As one of the Guays flew above him, he kicked against the ground, launching himself and the sword upwards at an impossible speed. His blade connected with the Guay's belly, instantly killing it, and he seized the bird by the neck with his other hand as he changed his stance to accommodate his landing.

The landing was rough, but left his legs intact -always a relief- and he showed his prey to the others. "I took out the biggest one. Someone get a fire going while I pluck and gut this thing."
  4. Squishy

Morgan blinked, not quite sure what kind of maneuver Horus had just carried out. But hunger was asking more attention at the moment. He could always ask later.

"I'll do the fire!"

The blonde dashed off to collect wood and kindling, breaking twigs and leaves off the small, withered shrubs that replaced trees this high up the cliffs. The thought of that big, fat bird roasting over the fire... Morgan wiped his mouth, aware that it was watering.

He returned with arms full of material for their fire, gingerly setting it out in a pile, lighting it with a piece of flint and his dagger. After he was sure the flames did not need his constant attention anymore, he grabbed a slightly longer stick, sharpening an end into a point and fashioning it along with two others into a spit.

"So, Horus..." Morgan started, looking over to the other man. "What exactly did you just do? That weird jump-thing?"
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    As Morgan rushed off to gather firewood, Horus sat himself down, placed the bird in his lap, and started rapidly plucking the feathers off of it. It was something he'd done often and grown very used to, so as Luna watched him his hand moved in a blur as the pile of feathers at his feet grew increasingly high. It didn't take him long to pick the bird clean, and he finished by tearing off the talons and decapitating the bird before handing it over to Luna. She would skin it and take all inedible organs out.

Morgan asked about the technique Horus had used to fell the bird. He shifted uncomfortably, absently taking one of the large tail feathers of the Guay to hand and playing with it. "...I don't like to talk about it much. It's a special kind of thing... the mages don't sense anything when I use it, so it's probably not magic. But we have no idea what it is. Roc's Feather be damned, I can't jump that high on my own." He absently looked over to where Luna had dug out the entrails of the bird and tossed them up, where a smaller Guay caught them and made off with them. He made a face. He was used to it, but he still didn't like the idea of tearing bird guts out. This was why Luna normally did that- her sense of 'this needs to be done' won out over the squick. "At any rate," he said, getting up, "It hasn't snapped my ankles yet, so it gets the job done. What say you we get the bird on the spit? It looks like Luna is done."

As he said it, Luna held up the skinned and gutted Guay, having just satisfied herself that all that was left on the bones was edible.
  6. Squishy

"So you don't know how you do it? You just... jump sometimes? That's weird..."

While it was a rather odd story from Horus, the food being nearly ready was more interesting to Morgan at the moment. And sometimes it was just better not to know things. His time in Ikana had taught him that very well.

Soon, the smell of roasting flesh rose from their little campfire. As soon as he deemed it cooked enough, Morgan tore chunks of meat from the bird and passed them to Horus and Luna, taking one of the bird's legs for himself. It tasted better than anything he had eaten in months, as most of it had been tough dried meat or bitter plants. Hunting more often could really be a good idea, he noted to himself.

After they had finished their meal, Morgan hopped to his feet, brushing himself off.

"Right, time to move on. We've still got quite a way to go, and we don't want to end up on some scary ridge in the middle of the night!"
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "I don't know if 'just jump' is the way I'd describe it." Horus got to his feet. "It's ridiculously powerful but even if I knew exactly how it worked, I wouldn't teach anyone." He shook his head, trying to expel the mental image summoned by his memory of the dream in which he seemed to have obtained it. "Trust me when I say it's not pleasant. I paid a price for it."

He tore into the bird meat Morgan gave him with his usual ferocity, glancing at Luna to see her to the same, although the gusto with which she did so was always surprising. It seemed so out of character for the normally silent and modest girl. However, at least she wasn't slurping and chewing loudly like Morgan was. The man acted as if he'd never tasted meat before. "Don't you hunt?" he asked, forgetting that he had always been in a privileged position.

Luna chimed in. "You should. It's hard to get the nutrients stored in meat through other means." She licked her fingers clean, having finished her meat. "Guays and the odd Wolfos are safe as long as you kill them yourself and cook them thoroughly."

"Wolfos," Horus repeated, groaning. It had been so long since he'd last eaten the canine beasts, and they were his damn favourite. Especially if Frederick seasoned them like he usually did. The thought of his battle wizard friend made him jump to his feet after Morgan. "Right. We need to find that antidote."

"I agree." Luna used an ice spell to kill the fire and followed behind the men. It was interesting to see Horus be almost cordial towards a stranger. He was normally harsh and cold-hearted, but something about Morgan made him act differently.
  8. Squishy

"Well, I do hunt, but not that often. And since I'm on my own it's better if I dry the meat. Keeps longer that way."

From here on, the way up into the mountains was little more than a collection of narrow ridges, tight crevasses and game trails. If one did not know where to put their feet, death was almost a certainty. Even though Morgan had used this route before, his heart hammered in his throat as they clambered over the sharp outcrops of rock, with gaping ravines only a step away.

Naturally, he felt an immense relief when they reached the first valley, and thus wider ground. It was colder up here than it had been down in the canyon, as the mountains here stood too close together to let in much sunlight. The ground was covered in patches of dead or dying grass, as only few plants could survive in these harsh circumstances. The herb they were looking for was one of those few.

"Right, thick green stems with clear sap... It might grow here, it might not, this is only the first valley up here."
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Horus was not familiar with this path, but he had confidence in his climbing abilities. The problem was that Luna didn't have the strength required to pull herself up, so he had to heave her onto his back and drag them both up the ridges and trails. Fortunately she wasn't very heavy -an unfortunate side effect of her selflessness and her slight build- and he didn't have to worry about holding on to her. She held on to him, making sure that she didn't hinder his movements.

As they reached the first valley, he lowered her to the ground and she immediately started to inspect the patches of green. Horus followed behind her, making sure she didn't walk into any traps or monstrous territory. "Is it always this cold up here?" he asked Morgan, pulling his coat tighter. He glanced at Luna. She was an expert in ice magic, so she could handle cold a little better than he could, but she was far from immune and he wanted to be sure she was alright. "I'm fucking freezing." It wasn't very late yet, but knowing Ikana, the sun would start setting soon. And he imagined the mountains were even colder than the lowlands at night.

He crouched, running his hands through the greenery at his feet. "So, Morgan," he said as he searched, "How long have you been living in Ikana on your own? It seems like a harsh life, and I say that as an inhabitant of this place myself."
  10. Squishy

"Well, it's the mountains, they're always cold, especially if there's no sun to warm the rock." Morgan shrugged. The chill air gave him goosebumps.

"How long...?" He scrunched his face, trying to remember. "'M not entirely sure... Quite long, though. It's hard to keep track of the years. After a while days just seem to blend together into one big blur, you know?" The blonde scuffed his feet at a bare patch of dirt under his feet. "As I said earlier, I wasn't always alone though. Used to live with my brothers. But stuff happened and we all went our own way... Mine led me down here. It's a tough life, but it's not like life in the city wasn't just as hard. At least here I can feed myself and there's no one to kick me around..." Morgan trailed off, not entirely sure if that last bit was too much information. He coughed, fiddled with his hands and kicked away a pebble.

"But you still haven't told me much about your lives. ...You know what? It doesn't look like our plant is growing here, so you can tell me on our climb to the next valley! Follow me!" He turned abruptly on his heels, starting off towards even higher ground.
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Trust me, I know." Horus had lost track of the exact number of years he had spent in Ikana, himself; survival was a pressing need, and one that blotted out all thought of anything else, especially early on when they had not yet established their home base, as well as when their number had been reduced by two and they'd had to re-divide the tasks, everyone now having to do more work in the same amount of time. There was simply no time for anything else. That was why Horus was surprised to hear that Morgan had come here voluntarily. Given the chance, and provided the accurate knowledge that it was safe, he would return to Rauru in a heartbeat and start a normal life there.

...provided he still could, he thought. He'd grown used to the eat-or-be-eaten mentality that he had been forced into over the years. Would he still function in a normal human society? ...yes, he decided, he would, given the time to settle in. He still knew that his position was not normal. That meant he was still salvageable.

While he was lost in thought, he hadn't realised Morgan had taken off, and he and Luna hurried after him. As they clambered the rock wall, however, suddenly their ears were pierced by a shrill scream and the sound of howling wind. Before Horus could ask if Morgan had heard it too, or whether he was hallucinating for some reason, the wind caught up with them, pressing him against the cliff hard and numbing his fingers with cold. From the way Luna's arms clenched desperately around him, she suffered from it too, and to his horror, she could not hold on. "Luna!" His hand shot up, trying to grab hers, but he was too slow, and she slipped too far from his back, out of his reach. "LUNA! NO!"

As she tumbled down, Horus weighed his options. The fall wasn't too deep, not to the first solid ground at least, but Luna was a frail woman and there was no guarantee she wouldn't fall further. And it was a long fall to the very bottom of the mountain. "Hold on, I'm coming!" Trying to ignore the ice cold wind, he let go and leapt down after her.
  12. Squishy

"Horus!"

Morgan felt frozen in place as he heard Luna tumble down and Horus jump after her. They had to know just as well as he did that falling in these mountains would almost certainly mean death. The freezing wind cut in his hands and face, numbing his limbs. If he moved, he might lose his grip. The blonde clung to the rocks, feeling utterly helpless. He had to know if Horus and Luna were okay, but he could not turn his head to look down. He did not dare to move.

"Horus! Luna!"

His voice was but a whisper over the roar of the wind. There was no answer. Morgan was torn. Getting himself to safe ground was wisest, but what if his companions needed help? Biting his lip, Morgan judged his options. Then, slowly, he turned his head. There was a small ridge under him. If he could get his jump right... But his limbs refused to function properly. Instead his hands slipped, scraping against sharp rocks as he slid down.

He hit the solid rock hard, but managed to grab hold of the mountainside to avoid falling down further. Very carefully, he peered over the edge, eyes tearing from the wind.

To his relief, he could see a familiar mop of red hair below him. Morgan could not see how Luna was faring, but she was there all the same, and still alive. He was about to call out to them when another shriek pierced the air.

Something flew by overhead. Or rather, fell. A large blue shape shot through the sky at an alarming rate. And, judging by the sound of breaking and falling rocks, hit the ground a few ledges up.

Morgan tried to look up, but all he saw was the next ridge towering over him.

Something cold landed in his neck. And on his hand. And everywhere else.

"Is that... snow?"
  13. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Owwwww." Horus winced as he pushed himself up. That... was not his most elegant, intelligent, or heroic moment. Fortunately, it seemed the impact had not broken any of his bones. "Luna!" He called, remembering why he had jumped down the cliff. "Luna, where are you?!"

"I'm here," he heard, swivelling around to see Luna sitting not far away. She felt up and down one leg with the hand she didn't use to support herself, so he made haste, supporting her so she could stand. "I think I sprained my ankle when I fell," she explained, "B-but I should be able to walk. It's the only injury I took." They were interrupted by a loud shriek and the sound of something large colliding with something hard, a while above them. A shadow came over them, prompting them both to look up-

And not a second too soon, for a huge shape came tumbling down on where they were standing. Fortunately, Horus's reflexes were incredibly fast, and he tightened his arm around Luna, reaching into his coat and grabbing his Roc's Feather with the other, before kicking the ground with both feet to leap out of the way. The extra distance provided by the enchanted feather got them clear from the shape's landing site, if not from all the dust and debris and... snow? It had kicked up snow when it fell?

When the dust settled, Luna looked at it in surprise and curiosity, wanting to know what had almost crushed her and her companion. To her immense surprise, it was a gargantuan bird, its face marked by an almost comically large bill and its blue feathers crumpled and messy. It was badly injured, but its chest was slowly rising and falling, as if breathing. "Horus..." she concluded, "I think it's still alive."
  14. Squishy

Though the snow greatly impaired his view, Morgan clambered down towards the other two.

"Horus! Luna! Are you- ...what is that?"

He stopped dead in his tracks, snow slowly piling on his head, on his shoulders, around his feet. He had never seen anything like the odd, feathered creature. It was a bird, and it was big, but that was about all Morgan could say. Orithnology was not his strong point.

"Is it okay...?"

The blonde did not dare to approach the creature. For all he knew it'd try to attack them. Although it was in a terribly bad shape. Who knew if it could still move at all. What Morgan did know was that they had to move soon. To be caught in the mountains at night was nothing short of dangerous, to be stuck there at night with a raging snowstorm was almost certain death.

He heard something over the roar of the wind and snow. Something not unlike... angry cries? Scrabbling feet- no, claws? Morgan leant over the edge, trying to see something between the whirling snowflakes. And nearly lost his head for it when an arrow shot up. With a yelp, the Hylian fell back on his rear.

"There's monsters coming!"
  15. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Horus whipped his head around when Morgan was shot at and called the presence of monsters. And sure enough, he heard the unmistakable grunting and snorting of Moblins, along with the deafening sound of their feet stomping on the ground as they came up. "Stay here," he said to Luna, lowering her to the ground nearby the bird. "You can't fight on that ankle. Leave them to us." She nodded in response, watching as he clutched his sword and ran over to meet the Moblins head-on.

While Horus started to hack into monster flesh, Luna turned to the enormous bird next to her. It was definitely alive and could be saved, she knew that much for sure. It radiated a cold, icy energy, not unlike her own. Was it the source of the sudden snowfall? "What are you?" she asked, touching the bird's bill. It gave a weak, sad sound, and shifted a little, showing her an arrow stuck at the base of its neck and one in its wing. "Oh... I... I understand." She reached over, pulling the arrow in its neck out with one hand and placing her other hand over the wound. Something was strange about the bird's flesh and feathers... they felt so different from those of normal birds. She felt they were kindred spirits, somehow... maybe she could help close the wound, even if she was no healer.

Meanwhile, Horus dug his knife into a Bokoblin and slammed the back of his hand into another one, sending them both rolling back down the steep hill they had come. There were more of them than he had anticipated. A particularly big one suddenly came running at him... if that thing collided with him, he'd break a few bones. He was sure of that... But how was he going to stop it?

Counterintuitive though it may have been, Horus opted to sheathe his sword and stow his knife away. Holding on to the sheath with one hand and the hilt with the other, he then forced his breathing to slow, focusing on the Moblin approaching him. Luna looked up just in time to see the two almost collide, and gave a helpless scream -"HORUS!"- but couldn't help.

Horus stepped forward. Bending his knee, he twisted his body under the Moblin's outstretched arm. He drew his sword from its sheath, and in the same motion, viciously lashed forward with it. As it connected with the Moblin, it cut clean through it, coming out the other side without even unbalancing the redhead. The Moblin fell to the ground, quite dead, and most of its brethren slowed down or hesitated, perhaps unnerved by this sudden display of power. Still a little stunned that he had actually pulled it off, Horus made a point of showing himself sheathing the blade again to the other monsters.

"Who else wants to have a go?"
  16. Squishy

Morgan could not remember the last time he had been swarmed by monsters like this. Sure, there were lots of monsters down in the canyon, but none of them were particularly hostile, or came in such great numbers. There had to be something really special about that bird, he figured. Or they were really hungry.

The wind whistled in his ears as he hopped around, ducking under blows and hacking at legs, snouts and arms with his daggers. Morgan's entire body trembled from exhaustion. His lungs had started to burn again, and he struggled to get enough air. He had to push himself to continue. Gritting his teeth, the blonde rushed at a distracted Moblin, burying a dagger deep in its neck. Whatever Horus had done, it succeeded in distracting the Moblins.

He moved back towards the redhead, when he saw a particularly scruffy Moblin dash straight for the bird. And Luna.

"Luna! Watch out!" Morgan went after it, slipping in the snow as he tried to leap. He managed to bowl the Moblin over, tackling it to the ground with flailing arms. The creature struggled under him, sharp claws scraping over the Hylian's face and arms in a desperate attempt to break free. Other Moblins had seen it, and came running in to use the opporturnity. Morgan could not focus on both the approaching group and the Moblin under him. He hacked at the floored monster until he felt its movements weaken and stop, but was too late to deflect the blow that came from behind.

As he turned around, he saw a club rapidly coming at his head...
  17. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Morgan!" Damn it! With Horus deemed a big threat and best avoided, the beasts had started working around him to get to Luna and Morgan, who had saved her from a particularly shaggy one! "Hang in there-"

"Stop!" Horus froze in his tracks as Luna screamed a warning, followed by a screeching noise and an immense gust of icy wind, knocking the moblins off of Morgan and tumbling away from the group, a few of them frozen solid as they landed in the snow.

"What the bloody hell- whoa." For a moment, Horus was stunned. As the wind died down, they saw the source of it. The creature that had formerly been a heap of flesh and feathers and bill on the ground was now standing straight, proud, and clacking its bill threateningly. Luna sat next to it, holding two arrows in one hand and supporting herself with the other as she observed the ongoing battle. The bird looked down towards her for a moment -as if asking for permission- and then spread its wings wide, giving another shrill screech as if to warn the moblins not to come any closer.

"Hot damn, Luns. I knew you work fast, but this has to be a damn record."
  18. Squishy

Morgan had dropped himself to the ground, the blast of ice whipping right over his head. When he got up to brush the dirt and snow from his face, he felt something crack on his back. Looking back, he saw his jacket was coated in a very thin layer of frost. That, he concluded, had been way too close.

The blonde scrabbled to his feet, still stunned at what the bird had done.

Judging by their faces, the Moblins were too.

For a moment, no one moved, and no one spoke. Morgan looked at Horus, trying to gauge if the redhead was going to do the same. The bird flapped its wings once, still standing tall. The Moblins looked unsure. Perhaps they had not expected dinner to put up such a fight. Or that it would get reinforcements. A grin crept on Morgan's face. Then, with the loudest cry he could muster, he threw himself at the remaining monsters.

He had not expected the Moblins to lose heart and scatter that fast.
  19. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "That's fucking right!" Horus shouted, pointing after the fleeing beasts. "And don't show your face in my country again, you hear?!"

"Ikana doesn't belong to you, Horus," Luna said as she limped over to him.

"I've lived here for most of my life, it's close enough to a native country." He hurried over to support her, looking up at the bird. "Did you just patch that bird up? I thought you didn't know any healing magic!"

"I don't," she said. "It has a... fascinating biology. I just removed the arrows and... froze the wounds... and it made its flesh knit back together." She shook her head. "I don't understand it either. It's not a normal bird, that much is for sure." It folded its wings in once more and turned around, turning its bill towards the two. "I think it's friendly..." she said, "And intelligent." It nuzzled its enormous bill against her.

"Well, if you say so... maybe it can carry us back up the mountain," Horus said, looking up the cliff. "If we have to climb that, we'll never make it back to Freddie in time. Especially not with your ankle."

"I'll ask it," Luna suggested, before turning back to the bird.

Horus rolled his eyes at her enthusiasm and looked over at Morgan, who was kneeling next to one of the Moblin corpses and seemingly searching it. "You find anything good there?"
  20. Squishy

Smelly as the Moblins were, they did carry a lot of supplies. Useful supplies even.

Morgan hmm-ed to himself as he rummaged through their packs and pouches, lifting their weapons to inspect them. They were crudely made, but some of the smaller knives and tools they carried could be useful. It wasn't like the Moblins still needed them.

"Oooh, what's this, then?" He whistled when he found a particularly fine piece of equipment. One of the larger monsters still clutched a battered hookshot. While it was old, and its point dented, it was finely crafted. The blonde held it close to his face, inspecting it for any more damage. The point was useless, but with a bit of tinkering, he could salvage the chain mechanism and add it to his own hookshot, improving its range.

Adding the hookshot to his own bag, Morgan noticed a slender green stalk poking out of a satchel...

"Guys! Look!" He pulled the plant out, waving it over his head as he walked to Horus and Luna. "Looks like we're not the only ones using this herb. It's the one we were looking for." The stalk was pushed into Horus' hands. "I bet there's more in that bag." Morgan said, pointing over his shoulder.