Showdown at the Shokay Corral [Doc Genzo]

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Nameless, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi sighed. He really didn't like the idea of walking through such dark tunnels and trigger something he couldn't even see! He did consider just taking the lantern once they passed one, but then Eve would probably complain that everyone could see her when she was in the light…

So he made sure to walk after her, so she would have to deal with whatever might have bumped into her in the dark.

There was some kind of source of light up ahead, too. The clone was sent ahead, and stealth was nowhere in sight as her flippers loudly smacked down the stairs. And then… A splash of water? Ruairi looked at Eve, and then started to head down himself as well. There was indeed water there. A lot of it, like something had flooded the whole area. A whole… Little town?
    "Are those… Koroks? Are they thieves?" The Rito asked, unsure what to make of the scene. Little wooden creatures waddling about, hardly looking like the fast thief they had chased all the way there.

And the clone was still out there in the water. They had clearly been noticed, but nothing had happened. Yet.
    "…If we have to go in the water, I refuse. I put on some nice clothes today, and I am not going to have them ruined!" Ruairi hissed.
  2. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Don't be such a baby." Eve beckoned.

She gave a short demonstration by sinking slowly into the water. There were parts of her that didn't like the sudden sting of cold water. She wondered how the thief girl bogged her way out of all this so quickly. At least Extra Eve seemed to be having fun. She was splashing around in her swan-themed inner tube and kicking her feet. Eve was very jealous that Extra Eve could ignore the chill of the water so easily.

"You just have to. . . wade over to the. . . ramps." she gasped as she trudged the uncomfortably cold water.

Extra Eve continued playing, even as Eve worked her way to the dry salvation of the structure. Without additional commands she was liable to just leave her there in the water. Eve walked onto the ramp and tried to shake the water off. Drop after drop fell off her outfit but she was still drenched. She noted another boon of wearing the sneaking suit was that it wasn't a weighty waterlogged mess like her dress would have been. The cheap fabric of the costume also didn't really hold water well, so she was likely to dry off faster.

"Come on over here Chicky." she whined, her limbs shaking and held close.

The Koroks continued blathering amongst themselves. The tone of their voices reached a notable peak when the Kokiri came ever closer. They appeared to be planning to reprimand the intruders somehow. Although this was likely what it looked like, a regular communal town for thieves. There was no doubt a real hideout was somewhere deeper.
  3. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi was not a baby, nor was he going to go in the water. It looked… Dirty and cold! Definitely not something he wanted to subject his precious clothes to. No way. Nuhhuh. The Eves were already in the water, but he considered just turning around and leaving them.

…But his kinstone piece. He couldn't let the thief just get away like that! He couldn't trust Eve to actually get it back for him, either!

What a dilemma! To not go in the water, but to still somehow proceed. Could he try to make it over there with his hookshot somehow? Maybe it could be possible, as his eyes scanned the flooded town. It was hard to say – and the failure could lead into him still being stranded with nowhere to go but the water, with the way back also being blocked! How horrible. Was there nothing he could do? Couldn't he just walk over the water like–

That was right. He had seen it before. When he was a young fledgling. Back when Granny Andma was more limber and could take part in some more physical shows. He could remember the dance on water – literally. It was magic of some kind, but all the times Ruairi saw her practice, it didn't seem too involved. How did it go again? He motioned with his arms as he was trying to recall how she did it. And the feet went like… The Rito did a sweeping motion with his foot along the ground. Hopefully he wasn't required to have the fans that were a part of the dance.

Ruairi kept swaying and practicing for a while as Eve waded through the water. He didn't care much about what she was doing, nor what the Koroks were blabbering about. He just focused on recalling the ritualistic dance, which may have looked a bit strange without the giant fans he remembered Granny Andma waving about, but he went through the motions in any case. He closed his eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath that he allowed to release with all the air in his lungs. Light as a feather. Fortune favored the bold.

He took a step forward. And then another, and another. He didn't know if he was stepping on water or ground, his eyes still shut. His foot swept along the surface of the water in a wide arc, and he turned and motioned, fluid as the water itself. A step, and another, and another. A deep breath to fill himself with buoyant air. He quickened his pace a bit, but only by a little. It was a slow dance, after all. Ruairi's face was that of full concentration as he finally opened his eyes, knowing that he was much further than where the steps stopped. He didn't look down, however, as he continued to take steps and twirls, gently swaying along the watery surface.
  4. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "What the fuck." Eve observed.

The Koroks were still arguing amongst themselves and pointing at the suspiciously dressed Kokiri girl standing in front of their property. She was dazzled by the ice-dancing Rito swirling around atop liquid water. She refused to believe her had just learned to perform miracles specifically to prevent his clothes from getting wet.

"You could have bought zora clothes at some point." Eve complained. "Scratch that we didn't need another intermission of one of us changing clothes."

One of the Koroks approached Eve, and she stuck out her arm and pushed the little tyke over. Now on his back, the Korok rocked back and forth trying to get back on his feet. A door opened on one of the small houses and a Hylian poked his head out.

"You knew the password to Thieves Town?" he asked, slapping a hand on his mouth. "Or you just silenced our beloved doorkeep."

Eve looked the man up and down, he appeared to be some sort of minstrel. Of all the shady characters they had seen up until now, this was probably the least intimidating of them all. She turned around, keeping an eye on Ruairi twirling around down there.

"We paid him off, what an easy security system." she lied.

"Wouldst thou know the password, if I told thee?" he postulated whimsically.

"Well we need to meet up with that girl who came through here. So yes we need thine password to enter the real hideout." Eve mocked, huffing hot air.

"Then answer three these questions to open the lock. Sing upon the response to remove the stone cock." he softly sang, a fickle elegy upon Eve's increasingly impatient ears.

"Chicky can I just kill the clown? He's not even helping. I hate him." Eve protested. Her nerves were on fire with these people and she was getting ready to put Julius' masterpiece of a dagger to the test.
  5. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Me? Zora clothing? Please," Ruairi huffed as he kept dancing on the water's surface. Now that was a style far removed from anything he wanted to do! Not to mention his makeup! Or hair! All completely ruined by water! He didn't rush through his performance – no, as he was getting more comfortable with the dance on top of water, he was putting more effort into it, as he had an audience to entertain. His motions grew more pronounced and elegant as he kept dancing on top of the water. The lights from lanterns and torches illuminated the surface, giving him a very moody stage. There he danced, in the darkness, in the midst of the balls of warm light.

The Rito did eventually make it to the other side, hopping off the water and looking rather pleased with himself. Not a drop of water on him, perfect. It was all worth it. Ruairi was in a good mood again, which may have just saved the weird bard's life, as the Rito wasn't there to question any of the strangeness around him at the moment.
    "Oh, I like songs."
  6. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Did you say 'kill?'" the bard shockingly inquired. "Oh, ha, oh my!"

The minstrel suddenly started gasping, hypnotized by Ruairi's complex water-dance.

"You like songs? I have one for you." he continued, equipping a colorful shamisen.

"A smart thief fears the boss's wrath! I'd rather be on a maypole dancing around the shaft.
    Sometimes it hurts too much in my lungs. Ya' think knowledge is power, but I burnt my tongue.
    Every time I say I'm a-leavin', this accursed life sets me right back to theivin'!" he sang, arresting the Koroks' attention.

"What is that? Is that the password? The lyrics don't sound real." Eve complained, keeping her dagger in her pouch.

"Why would I tell thee the password?" the clown bluffed.

"You were too excited to just sing us the password, don't lie to me." Eve berated, crossing her arms. "What do you think Chicky?"
  7. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi listened to the song, closing his eyes. It certainly had some… Interesting lyrics, he had to admit. He hadn't paid much attention to what kind of an agreement Eve and the thief-bard had made while he was making his way over the water, so all he could do was shrug.

"Well, I don't know anything about thief passwords. It was a strange song. Maybe thieves are weird – they are thieves after all," the Rito mused. He couldn't really say anything else about the topic at hand – though maybe no artist wanted their work to be called weird, thief or not. If the bard even was one. Had to be, when he was here, right? Ruairi did keep humming the tune for a moment.
    "Oh, but don't you even think of stealing anything from us!"
  8. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Yeah you spoony fool! We came down here to get something that was taken from us. If you try anything funny I'm going to make you look even more hilarious." Eve threatened the minstrel.

With the main mystery of the hideout entrance either solved, or beyond repair, they made their way through the town. The townspeople all looked normal, but with odd coloring, tattoos and an air of attitude about them. Most of them were saying the usual niceties to each other, giving the appearance of normalcy to everything. Eve heard the rumors of one of these under every major city, but she didn't really believe it until now. It was like a really big speakeasy, they could hide an entire guild under here and nobody would be the wiser.

As they approached the end of the residential area, the moat seemed to be ending in the far part of town. A sheer ledge separated the raised area, and a clearing in the very back boasted some odd monuments as if it was a big graveyard. There was a huge statue of some sort of devil, and far to the right was some sort of chicken weathervane. Maybe that was the stone cock the bard was talking about?

"We should be careful back here Chicky, we don't know what these people are trying to pull." Eve warned.
  9. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi was happy to continue. They already had lost sight of the thief who took his kinstone, and he didn't want to consider the possibility that his precious stone may have been gone forever. They had to be quick if they wanted to catch up, but where should they even go next? The strange town with all those dark paths looked like a maze to just get lost in underneath Castle Town. Not to mention all the eyes that were watching the pair as they walked by. …It was better to keep their belongings really close to them, for now.

"You don't have to tell me twice," the Rito agreed with Eve's assessment. It might have only been a matter of time before one of the thieves decided to try something very stupid – and he was even wearing some nice clothes! Alas, his rupee purse was quite empty, which any pickpockets would have to learn the hard way.
    "Is that… A weather vane? Why in the name of the Goddesses is there one underground where it would never even do anything?" Ruairi ended up basically wondering out loud as he looked at the most prominent features ahead of them.
  10. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "That's part of the mystery Chicky, it's some kind of puzzle." she replied to him right away.

They approached the line of statues. There was an eerie chill as they made it to the furthest side of town. The light of the lanterns reached somewhat into the darkness before the distance turned into pitch black, like a fog they couldn't ever see through. What was the true nature of this place anyway?

"I don't remember that dumb song. I think we're going to have to keep breaking stuff to get inside." Eve admitted, holding her head in shame.

"That is, unless you remember the song Chicky. You could try singing it in front of the weathercock." she suggested, at least giving him the option of doing it the right way.

She made her way to the devil statue and re-armed herself with that strange oversized hammer. Without regard for anything she started slamming the thing. She would need a stronger technique one day if she wanted to make these battering attempts more effective, but this is what she had for now. She slammed the statue, and behind the prongs of its huge trident was a door of some kind. There was starting to be a few dents in its surface, but nothing of substance so far.
  11. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"A puzzle? Right here in this town?" Ruairi asked. What a strange thought. He had heard of strange mechanisms inside all kinds of old ruins that had to be solved and manipulated – though he had yet to really see nor solve one. The dungeon they went to with Eve was old and decrepit, not looking like it was really in working condition. Was this an actually working piece that had to be activated somehow?

…Would a song really be what did that? That felt strange. The Rito knew well that songs and words had power, but the song he heard did not seem like it had any kind of mystical power to it.
    "Is the water wet? My memory isn't quite that poor," Ruairi boasted. Well. He was pretty sure he remembered it, at least – it hadn't been that long! Though the lyrics had most certainly been odd…

Well, he might as well open up his voice, if nothing else. He stepped closer to the weather vane as Eve got into vandalism – would anyone dare to stop her, they could only wonder. The Rito cleared his throat and started singing a few notes to ready himself.
    "A smart thief fears the boss' wrath – I'd rather be on a maypole dancing around the shaft!" His voice was strong, considering how it was coming from someone with a rather lithe build like him. Eve had already heard his singing, so it was not much of a surprise for her – even if this time around he was less of a comic relief character, and more of a dashing hero.

Though gosh, the lyrics were certainly embarrassing now that he was saying them out loud…
    "Sometimes it hurts too much in my lungs! Ya'd think knowledge is power, but I… Burnt my tongue!" Was that how it went? Was it even rhyming anymore? No, he couldn't have forgotten the lyrics already…
    "Every time! I say I am a-leaving… This accursed life! Sets me right back to thieving!"

…He was getting into it anyway…
  12. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    *bing bong*

A tone played and a panel on the front of the weathervane slid open. Eve ran her way over at once, abandoning her little "project." The mischievous duo went into the door. At once there was some sort of guard standing there. A man or little boy with teased blue hair stood there with an upright spear.

"You know the password, huh? I better let you in or the boss will have my hide. I don't care if the town fool gave it to you for no reason- he's been such a pain." the short guard explained.

"Did you see a girl run through here? She only had kinstones so she wouldn't have appeared to be holding anything." Eve demanded, still looking up slightly to match eyes with the boy.

"A girl? You must mean Colorblind. She doesn't pull in much profit, the boss only hired her because of her nickname." he explained. He knew their little employee was in hot water anyway.

The landscape had morphed when they entered the location. There was nothing but metal lattice platforms as far as the eye could see. The various platforms and mechanisms went on into the distance, creating an eerie liminal space. Somewhere in here was their target, and some sort of menacing boss to boot! It was likely that would be no coincidence as they explored this accursed place.
  13. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

The sudden sound made Ruairi stop – he might have even jumped a little, not having expected anything to actually happen. The base of the weather vane had a panel that now suddenly slid open. It actually was a mechanism that would be activated with the right song? He could hardly believe it! Was this actually some kind of an ancient ruin, or just something someone created for fun? It definitely was strange…

The Rito peeked in through the newly opened way after Eve. There was a guard there, who… Was willing to let them go as they knew the password. Ruairi immediately straightened his back and fluffed his hair.
    "Oh, you know. Can't pass up a moment to put on a little performance," he pretended to be a modest star – though he was constantly glancing in the direction of the guard to see if he was going to give him any praise or be awed. He definitely should have been.

He had almost forgotten about the real reason he was there! Mentioning the kinstone and the thief got Ruairi all fired up again.
    "Oh I don't even care who that no-good thief is! Once I get my hands on her, she's, she's… In big trouble!" He threatened, stomping past the guard in a great big huff. That stomping did soon dissipate into a much more careful step as they entered a very strange room. How did something so large fit underground? It felt like he couldn't even see the ceiling. Or the walls. Or the floor. A deep darkness all around, with only suspended, metal walkways where they stood.
    "How far down is the ground…?" The Rito couldn't help but ask as he peered over the edge.
  14. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Don't worry about the shape of this place. That girl could not have gone far." Eve explained. She was not certain of anything, but she was right in a way.

The floor looked weird in some parts, but Eve started moving anyway. After a metal platform passed under her feet, she stepped onto the odd part of the floor. She was immediately tripped onto her ass as the conveyor slid out from underneath her. The strange moving floor took her a good distance down the way.

"Ow! It's a- uh, convey-tor belt. I saw this once in a picture book." she explained further, exposing her favored form of reading in the process.

The sideways lift plopped her off onto a static stone floor, only to reveal there was more of them on the way. She sat there, contemplating her soreness from falling over. Soon the Kokiri stood back up, dazed.

"Chicky! We probably won't be able to turn back if we go this way." Eve observed. It would be difficult if not impossible to run the opposite way up the belts.
  15. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi frowned. How could he not worry about where the thief might have gone? There were so many paths to take! The air was thick with the smell of metal. The lattice made hollow, dull sounds as he stepped upon it, sounds that disappeared into the vastness of the space they were in.

The sound of Eve tripping and some kind of machinery whirring into life was startlingly loud in the silence. The Rito immediately took a step back – was it a trap that had just been triggered? The Kokiri was being moved away by the strange, moving floor.
    "If it's tough to walk back, then it's probably a trap for clumsy trespassers, no? I don't think we should go that way!" Ruairi called out to Eve. Could she even get back?
  16. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Too late Chicky!" the strange girl called. "This looks like it goes deepest into the lair anyway."

She planted her feet onto the next conveyor. There was a bigger catwalk after this belt, which Eve started strolling down. There was a number of things apparent as she walked deeper into the facility. In the distance were a few cages or jail cells, and she spotted several colorful platforms and orbs. It seemed the already complex walkway was turned into some sort of pseudo labyrinth by the presence of crystal ball switches and lifts.

"If you see lifts like that just attack the ball with your hookshot to go up." she called once again behind herself.

It was clear the Rito had to catch up to her but in the event they got split up they could still search the facility. There was an additional silence as Eve stopped and continued to look around. Perhaps if she took her time she wouldn't end up lost. The conveyors went in every direction and baited one to end up in several possible dead ends. At least, she hoped they weren't complete dead ends because there was simply no way to run backward up the belts.
  17. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi let out a groan. Of course she was already stuck taking whatever path the conveyor belt had decided for her. Definitely a trap of some sort, no question about it. And here he was, making the same stupid leap and landing on the same moving path so they wouldn't at least get separated in this hostile environment full of horrible thieves.

With his sense of balance, it was easy enough to stay on his feet. Running along made for quite the fast experience, actually! The Rito glanced up at the balls Eve pointed out, taking note of the various contraptions and walkways that crisscrossed all around. His hookshot could probably attach to many things if he wanted to get off the conveyor belt. …Would it be enough to potentially pull both him and Eve, though? It was made for quite a light user, and a Kokiri definitely wasn't heavy, but…

"There is no way this could be leading anywhere good! Maybe we should head up?" Ruairi huffed once he joined up with Eve, suggesting at least one idea to her before it was too late and the choice was made for them.
  18. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "I see some cells up ahead. Maybe at least we can free some prisoners or something! Down with the establishment!" Eve yelled, making wild statements about. . . freeing prisoners from organized thieves? What establishment was she talking about?

She led the Rito further in, going down a number of steps and stopping on top of a colorful set of squares.

"See Chicky, rule number two about adventuring: there's always switches." she explained, pointing a gloved hand at the mystifying ball. "Just shoot your hook at the orb and these squares should shoot us up a level."

To add to the absurdity of all this, Eve also got introspective for a moment. "I spent all morning. . . combing my hairs. . . plucking my eyebrows. It's just balls again. It's always balls."

Then, a voice came from above. There appeared to be a line of jail cells just like Eve had said.

"Is someone down there? The boss trapped me up here. I need someone to help me get out!" a female voice uttered from above. It seemed likely this was related to their little mission somehow.
  19. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi looked up ahead – Eve was right, shockingly. What was there indeed looked like iron bars one might expect to see locking someone up in a cell. Not that he knew anything about that.
    "What establishment," he frowned at her excitement. Normally, perhaps he too could have been pulled into that, but they were in the lair of thieves.
    "What kind of people get locked up by thieves, of all people? Even worse thieves?" The Rito questioned. Innocent people… Or complete monsters that shouldn't be released under any circumstances?

He followed the Kokiri in deeper, looking like he was ready to fire his hookshot at anything coming too close. Or firing it up for a quick getaway, it was hard to say which was the case. The conveyor belt had led them right into what looked like a dungeon – the kind where people got locked up. Was this a place meant for intruders? Maybe anyone who had gotten themselves locked up was more innocent than he immediately thought. Maybe there were traps. They had to be careful.

Ruairi definitely didn't want to step on the strange floor tiles, once Eve pointed them out along with something above. An orb… A switch. She claimed it would activate the contraption that surely was underneath her feet. Maybe it would. But clearly, they'd have to test it before he would try it himself!

Before he had the chance, a voice called out from above. A… Woman? An intruder, someone who got themselves locked up by accident? Try as he might, he couldn't see up there, unless…
    "Let's see if your theory's correct!" The Rito said, before he shot the hookshot in the direction of the orb, hitting it quite nicely to activate the mechanism and change its color. He, of course, did not want to stand on the tiles. Eve would have to be his guinea pig…
  20. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    There was a mechanical hum from the orb and the piston-like floor snapped up and hurled Eve up to the next floor. She lost her footing and bumped back onto the ground. As expected, a familiar girl stared back at her as she climbed carefully along the ground to the flat surface. It was clear the pistons had to drop back down to allow Ruairi up here. Eve looked back, noting the platform was now blue instead of red, along with the crystal ball.

"I need your help to-" the girl continued begging, before suddenly stopping.

"I saw you in the market! We followed you in here for stealing Chicky's stone!" Eve complained, wagging her hand in the air.

"They call me Colorblind. When I tried to fuse that rito character's Kinstone with my own, it didn't work. The boss saw what happened and he locked me up for insubordination! I can't catch a break around here." the thief explained, not exactly sparing a chance for the Rito to hear her story.

"Why do you think we'll let you out? Are ya at least gonna give the stone back." Eve replied, a hand on her hip.

"I was hoping to just give it back. I seriously thought rupees would be pouring out of the stone, I am such a failure. But now the boss has your stone. I know the way to his chambers so it would be a big help if you let me out, I could help you get your thing back. The boss is very tough though, I can't guarantee you'll get your item." she continued to explain, providing great detail on how she wanted to be freed.

"Don't worry about that boss of yours, me and Mr. Chicky are going to turn his bum inside out." Eve boasted. "But I don't know if I want to let you out, sure you could show us the way, but what if it's just another of your tricks. Or even worse, you could be the boss."