Yeti Walks into a Bar... (Open)

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Electronic Ink, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Beefish

Beefish DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE. new

Griskin's tongue contorted in his mouth in reaction to Erick's story. He quickly put the image away from his mind.

Reaching up to the table, the Moblin clutched the cool glass gift. He hadn't tasted a drop of the water yet, he simply held onto the glass like an anchor. Knuckles white and tense.

"Uh-" he hadn't really thought of a way to explain his sudden excursion to Nabooru. And presently he was distracted by Yeteta's great chomping. He frowned to himself, putting his cause into words through the Yeti's crunching and blue teeth.

"I'm... studying." Yes, that was probably the right word. He might have gone further, said he was studying people, but that probably would have scared them off.

"So, uh..." Yeteta, as of that moment he was mostly interested in her. How could he go about quizzing her though? "I've never... I've never seen one of your kind before," he gulped on air, as if to offend the glass of water, "are you... a monster?"
  2. monkeyislandfan1

monkeyislandfan1 Aspiering pun maker and drinker of milk reg

Seeing there reactions to his story, Erick quickly realized his mistake. "Oh Gods I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to make you guys uncomfortable, I'm not used to talking to many people and I need to figure out what's okay to tell people, this is really awkward sorry!" Rubbing his eyes, Erick took a gulp of water and waited a few seconds before speaking up again. "Anyway, so you're studying something huh, are you a student or are you doing this on your own? Oh and Yeteta's not a monster, she's from a race called the Yeti, they come from Snowhead if what I've read is accurate."
  3. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

Yeteta gave Erick an affronted look.
    "My storyyyy!" she whined petulantly, like a child. She turned back to Griskin, as if Erick hadn't spoken.
    "I is a Yeti. We lives in Snowhead on the mountains. I don't thinks I is a monster, but maybe I is not paying attention. People not run away from me, and I don't think I is scary, but what makes a monster?"
    She paused, a slight headache forming. That was a heavy question for her simple mind.
    "Is it tusks and fangs? I has little tusks. Is it fur? I has fur. I has no pointy Hilyan ears and I has big strange feets and I has tail. But people not call me monster. I has all the traits of a monster and yet I is not one. Why? Is it because I is nice? But lots of monsters is nice, and people still calls them monsters. It's like peoples pick and chooses which ones they wants to calls monsters."

She leaned back in her seat. That was deep stuff, especially for her. "Owie. Sore head,"
  4. Beefish

"People pick and choose?" That was a little disheartening to hear. He couldn't help but notice a tugging in the middle of his brow. Perhaps once his quest was over, the folk of Hyrule would still choose to vilify his kind. And even if they didn't, so many creatures had already chosen to be called monsters perhaps they would force themselves to perpetuate their power.

He started to feel an encroaching hostility in the air again, the Hylian was acceptable, the Yeti was integrated, but Griskin was an enemy. He huddled himself together again, nudging the untouched glass of water with a thumb.

"I'm studying on my own," he finally replied to Erick, forlorn creases in his face, "where I come from, there aren't many interested in what I'm studying."

Griskin glanced at the white-furred non-monster at his side, then turned a look back towards the fleshy Hylian, and shifted on the stool. "So... what are the two of you doing in this town? Are y'adventuring partners or something?"
  5. monkeyislandfan1

Erick turned his head to Yeteta "Sorry about that Yeteta, I'll let you tell him about yourself from now on." He then turned back to Griskin. "As for if we're traveling together, no we just met each other today, I'm planing on heading on to Hyrule today with one or two stops along the way and I came here looking for anyone to join me."

Erick takes a sip of water. "Now regarding what a monster is, there are races that people have chosen to label as a, "monster race," but I think it's more complicated then that. Someone who just attacks someone mindlessly, harming anyone because they enjoy hurting people, that is what I consider to be a monster."

Taking another sip of water Erick looks down at his bag, reaches into it and with a confused look pulls out some sort of cape with a card attached to it. "That wasn't in there before."
  6. Electronic Ink

Yeteta craned her practically nonexistent neck.
    "Whats is it?" she asked curiously. "Is it magicky? I love magicky things! I want to have magicky things everywhere! But all I has is Scoop,"
    She surprisingly refrained from retrieving the Ghastly Doll, instead focusing on the card and cape in Erick's hand.
    "I can'ts read very good," she admitted. "It smells all salty. And damp. Is from ocean? Is smell like fishy. Boat, hmm? Smells like boat. And yuck. Like cala-malari. Octo-malari. Is yuck."
    She wrinkled up her flat nose, like an ape almost, her mouth hanging open slightly as she chose to breathe through that instead. Small tusks glinted in the firelight of the tavern.
  7. Beefish

Griskin rotated the glass of water in sharp intervals, soaking in Erick's opinion on the definition of monster. When the Hylian produced a cape and card from his bag, the Moblin's gruesome, darkness-clung features echoed a secret curiosity. Perhaps, in part, the curiosity was a simple reflection of the puzzlement he could see in the companions around him. As Yeteta took the time to properly illustrate the smell of the cloth, Griskin held his beverage steadily between two leathery hands and watched Erick's reaction with intrigue.

"Did somebody drop it?" The pig-man dropped the question like an afterthought between Yeteta's inquiries.
  8. monkeyislandfan1

"Well if they did it's too late to return it, because based on the description Yeteta gave it was put in there on the boat I took to get to Mido from Windfall. The Octo smell came from this Giant Octorok that attacked the boat, and I along with two others fought back and saved the passengers, now let's see what this card says." Erick unfolded the card and read it out loud.

"Dear Erick,

Congratulations on defeating the Giant Octorok, ether by skill or dumb luck you managed to kill a big monster with the help from two strangers without getting in each others way, it is important that you find friends that you can trust for what you came to the mainland to find. Now as for what this cape is, it's called a Backshift Cape, when you wear or hold it and are at least glancing backwards just hop and you go back about five feat at most, useful when you need to get away from an enemy but keep in mind it'll only work every 10 seconds or so, use it wisely.

I look forward to your future accomplishments, P."

Erick scratched his head after reading the card. "This is a bit odd, I wonder who this guy is" And how does he know about my search for my parents? Only Jack and the staff back home should know about that.
  9. Electronic Ink

Whoo that actually payed off I wasn't sure if it was actually the cape from the ferry ride

Yeteta clapped her hands.
    "You has fairy guardians!" she squealed shrilly, and several patrons of the tavern shot her a look that told her she should probably watch the decibels. "So awesomes! I wants fairy guardians!"
    She was quite proud of herself for pronouncing 'guardians' correctly, and she beamed.
    "Magicky cape is cool," she said happily, hugging her own cape around her. Struck with a sudden idea, she wriggled off her chair, looked as far back over her shoulder as her limited physiology would let her, and hopped backwards. For a second she was thrilled, thinking her cape was 'magicky' too, before she caught the look the Hylian beside her was shooting her.
    "All right there, eh?" he sniggered, and Yeteta blushed furiously and scampered back to the table.
    "My cape is not magicky,' she said unnecessarily.
  10. Beefish

Taking the Yeti's test into account, Griskin chuckled and gave her an amiable pat on the shoulder, his own grey cloak hanging from a bulky, green arm.

"Don't worry 'bout that Yeteta, my cape isn't magic either." He returned his hands to the glass, finally taking the courage to lift it to his lips with a polite sip (well, polite despite his quiet snorting). Placing the drink back on the table with a little tap, the swine-man straightened his back against the chair.

"So, a big Octo?" Griskin was reminded of his own Octorok companion, and cringed when he imagined his little antisocial pet as a humongous beast. "That musta been quite a fight!"
  11. monkeyislandfan1

"Yeah it was, if it wasn't for the help the others help we wouldn't have made it, and I owe one of them my life for saving me from falling overboard when it emerged."

((Sorry for taking so long, I didn't know what to post and this is all I could come up with.))
  12. Electronic Ink

"I wish my cape was magicky," the Yeti complained. "I'm gonna find a magicky cape one day!"
    She yawned widely.
    "That issa cool," she said. "You beat big Octo! I don't like boat, I don't like water. Make me sick. Wanna throw up all the time,"
    She pulled a goofy face.
  13. Beefish

"A magic cape would be pretty neat." Griskin's face curved to hug a smile. He took another sip of water and leaned onto one elbow over the table.

"Hey, if you hadda magic cape, what sorta power would y'want it to have?" The Moblin tapped a few times on the wooden surface with his stumped nail, "I think it'd be great to have a sorta... shield-cape." He nudged Erick's arm and continued, "not that I wouldn't like a cape what could dodge like that one!"
  14. monkeyislandfan1

Erick nodded. "That's understandable, boats aren't for everyone, I'm thankful that I was able to handle it. This cape is nice and I'm not complaining or anything, but if I could choose what power it would have I'd go with invisibility, because it would let me get past any monsters I don't want to fight."
  15. Electronic Ink

Yeteta looked stumped at the question, chewing her enormous fingernails as she thought hard. Finally her face lit up as she had an idea.
    "A cape...that cans FLY!" she said excitedly. "Whoosh! Fly aways everywhere! So awesome and magicky!"
    The Yeti looked so proud of herself for coming up with that idea.
  16. Beefish

The conversation died down with the rhythm of Griskin's fingers tapping along the side of his glass. He took another sip and snorted quietly as he stored away snippets of information he had found interesting. The dimly glowing candles were flickering warmly against the shadows at the bar, he studied them while taking down a few more slurps of water.
  17. monkeyislandfan1

Erick sat in silence while drinking his water thinking about what to say, after a few minutes of this he spoke up. "Hey I'm wondering, have ether of you ever heard of someone who's last name is Marten? I'm trying to find anyone who does to, let's say, satisfy my curiosity."
  18. Electronic Ink

"Last...name?" Yeteta asked in confusion. "What issa last name?"
    Yeti, of course, were lucky to have names full stop, with many Yeti simply being "that one" because it was too much effort to actually name them all. Last names were a totally foreign concept to Yeteta, and her response indicated that she had never met anyone named 'Marten'.
  19. Beefish

"I uh," Griskin felt a slight twang of tension grip his back; not because he knew a person called Marten, but because he wasn't sure if he wanted to admit he didn't know many people. "I'm not the kinda guy to ask," he shook off the hold, "I don't get t'meet a lot of folk." Even if he had come across a shady fellow with that name, his memory was quite awful. He probably would have forgotten. "Why, didja lose him on ye'travels?"
  20. monkeyislandfan1

Darn they don't know anything. "Well Yeteta, a last name is something that a family shares, it's a way to identify if someone is related to another person, although there are situations when two people have the same name but they're not related in any way."

Erick turned to Griskin. "I guess you could say that Griskin, the reason I'm looking for them is... well I have a lot of personal questions I want to ask them and I'm currently looking for anything that can help me find them. In the meantime I thought I would explore the world, make some frends and maybe meet a old friend from my childhood."