When the Goose is Hangin' High [Cloud/Genzo/Ink]

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Cloud, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

Yuku quietly whistled at the high compliment paid to the Rito. Looks could be misleading, after all, and she supposed that only a few hours ago she too had been described reflexively as a performer before a capable combatant. The Rito's words made her smile.

"Lovely to make your acquaintance, Ruairi," Yuku nodded respectfully. "It seems you and Eve already know one another, but my name is Yuku. As for the bad guy... had you not wondered about the cause of this oppressive heat? We are making our preparations to enter the domain of whatever is causing it, to bring an end to the scorching weather and restore normality. From this young lady's glowing praise, it seems as though you would be a boon to our efforts. How well do you handle the heat?"

Yuku lifted her feet from the ground uncomfortably. Yes, it was definitely time to sacrifice comfort and purchase some boots, to avoid burning her flippers as they travelled. "Be warned, however, that this journey will be more perilous than those you may previously have become accustomed to. I would urge you to avail yourself of the lower pricing at these surrounding markets to gather anything you may need to remain safe and defend yourself."

Casting her gaze about, Yuku spotted a tired-looking Gerudo vendor, leaning heavily on her table as she attempted to hawk her wares. The footwear she was selling would perhaps be of suitable enough quality for the heat, and were Yuku lucky, she would find a size that was able to accommodate the odd shape and size of a Zora’s flippers.
  2. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "That's right Chicky." Eve admonished the poor chap. "You're perfect for this quest after that brilliant display in the temple of courage! You sure proved your courage to me Chicky."

Her language was astonishingly generous to his character. Eve was known for snobbery about a wide variety of people and creatures, but when it came to her personal favorites she had a rare wealth of flattery. It was odd, since she also wanted to be nice to Yuku but owed her no sort of familiarity. Or maybe it was just a season of meeting outrageously great people that had her so inspired. There was no quiet in the moment though as she immediately addressed her now duo of companions.

"I thought it over while we're here. I have to find some sort of heat resistant clothing or armor that I like. I'd prefer if I didn't have to change out of my prized golden outfit but I guess it's better than going into that heat unprotected." she elaborated about her situation.

Following the stalls, she perused the various clothing and materials on display as Yuku was looking for that footwear. There was a lot to go around in this district and many of the stalls were selling things for a wide variety of non-hylian body types. She also witnessed some Anouki who had set up shop recently. The northern tribesmen were using all manner of physical and magical means of beating the heat. It was convenient that they had such wide catalogues of clothing and textiles. Eve perused the stalls, trying her best to avoid the ordinary clothes despite a deep seated romance with clothes shopping. There was a lot there to inspire her upcoming outfits, but she had to move on and settle on a dodongo hide outfit or armor.

Sooner or later, browsing the lineup she spotted something notable. It was a set of tunic and mail that she could possibly wear under her soldier's outfit. The Goron Armor was something that would spell failure or success in that dimension, so she paid up front and deposited the entire outfit carefully into her Adventure Pouch.

"Hee hee he! If I wear that and prepare my usual clothes I can summon Extra Eve to confuse people. I better check up on Yuku! I also need to give her a nickname so she doesn't catch me giving her special treatment... She looks kind of like a "Squiddy" or with the glasses she looks like that poopy librarian from Kokiri Forest. Maybe I can call her "Teacher" or "Teach." I'll think of something before we go into that portal." she rambled, not to anyone in particular but Ruairi may have been near enough to hear her. It may come as a great surprise that Eve had to think about any weird nickname she gave her acquaintances.
  3. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"A pleasure," Ruairi hummed at the Zora's introduction. The mention of the heat made him tap his cheek in thought, his gaze behind his mask looking around. It definitely was hot. Hotter than normal. It was really affecting everyone, his performance included – surely he would have had way more people watching him without the infernal heat.
    "Hm," he made a noise, as if he was finally starting to see it. The cause of it all, well, of course he had assumed it to be something natural, despite its… Unnaturalness. But for there to be something that was actually causing it?

Eve's praise definitely did feed to his ego. Yes, he was a great hero who had beaten the odds many times before! A real adventurer and a great wizard.
    "Well, it is settled, then!" The Rito finally clapped his hands together, as he had seemed to make up his mind,
    "Clearly I must do my duty and restore the land to how it should be. It really is affecting my earnings, as I am certain you can see. And these, these help me get through even the worst heat waves."

Ruairi lifted his hair out of the way to reveal the beautiful earrings of glittering gold and a precious red stone. A gift from a long ago that had helped him out on the performances during hot weather. They had some kind of an enchantment on them, though he didn't know that much more about them. But clearly the earrings were doing the trick: he did not seem to be hot at all, even while wearing so many layers of costumes.

The Rito did not bother chasing after Eve, much rather preferring to stay in the presence of the Zora, Yuku.
    "Now. What actually is causing all of… This?"
  4. Electronic Ink

Yuku noted the Rito remaining close as she walked the short distance to the cordwainer's wooden table, their wares laying on bare wood as the tablecloth and any other bolts of fabric they could find had been strung up as additional shade from the sun. Most of their shoes were sized and shaped for Hylian or Gerudo feet, but there was a section of the table divided off for the non Hylianlike races.
    "Those earrings will certainly be of aid on our quest, although I would still advise somewhat lighter clothing. We may not know exactly what awaits us, but I expect it will only grow hotter as we approach our goal."

Examining the shoes, the Zora grimaced at Ruairi's question. "The cause isn't crystal clear yet, but the Captain of the Guard has given us what information is had. A portal has opened into a horrifyingly fiery realm - they have named it the Sunwell Fragment, and it is a blazing place with the sun near close enough to touch. That heat is leaking through the portal and blighting us all. Captain Surgate also told me that reports from those brave enough to perform reconnaissance that a beast unlike those of Hyrule awaits, a creature composed of flame and metal."

Spotting a tag with the Zoran emblem on it, Yuku lifted the boot it was attached to and examined it, not noticing the rather disturbed face of the Gerudo shopkeeper who had no choice but to overhear Yuku and Ruairi's conversation.
    "There is another tool that we were given, to aid us; it was not mentioned how they obtained such a thing, but," here Yuku paused, reaching into her pouch and withdrawing the strange orb Julius had bestowed on her. "This stone can supposedly reduce the horrific light within the Fragment, which will protect us from the harshness of the sun itself. I believe Eve should have another on her to be given to you."

Satisfied with the craft of the boots, Yuku turned to the shopkeeper, putting the orb back in her pouch. "I've not worn shoes in many years and would not know how to measure if it were written down; may I try these boots on?"
    The Gerudo woman pushed a stool in her direction with a nod, and Yuku sat and began loosening the simple lacing of the boots.
  5. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Eve continued through the stalls, trying to find her other companions. She was at the same time hoping to not see that dreaded Pooky again. The imp seemed to find a way into all of her plans almost at every step. Maybe he was taking hints from that odd Gerudo he used to be seen with. It was no matter, he was nowhere to be seen. The girl skipped across the stone walkway eager to spot the unique features on her companions' heads. She soon noticed a familiar squid-like head in the crowd.

"Teacher. . . ah, Teach!" Eve yelped, almost training herself in that moment to get stuck calling the poor Zora that.

At this moment, she knew it was foolish to hurry them. The whole group would have to be satisfied with their gear before they could even think about making a move. Having not heard them speaking of the orbs earlier, the subject continued to slip the Kokiri's mind. That said, as she approached the two at the stall she became entranced by the footwear. She compared a number of the boots they were selling to some of her own. She seemed completely hypnotized by this business. Footwear was, although unspoken, her favorite part of clothes shopping.

"Chicky! Teach, give me a moment." she announced, twisting her head back to see them for a glance.

She continued to compare the products. The different shades of brown, even other colors were spread out in front of her. Then, she proceeded to analyze the lining of each. At this moment, she turned her attention to the sizes and made sure she wasn't wasting her time on models that wouldn't be in her size. Next, she started flipping pairs and checking the tread. Eve looked neatly at each type of laces. Lost in her head looking at the boots, she slowly lost interest in each set that wasn't the right size. Becoming aware of what pairs to look for when she came back, she finally started to ease out of the plane of existence that was this sea of boots.
  6. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi glanced down at his clothes – he thought they were perfectly suitable. Real dashing adventurer type, obviously. That was his current character, after all! But perhaps the Rito was right. It would be silly to have another play's hero wear the exact same clothes as the play he made before. Something for the heat… He did have some Gerudo-made garments back at his wagon, maybe that would work well…

The Rito had been stroking his chin in this deep thought of figuring out what to wear, but he paid just enough attention to understand the overall situation to the best of his ability. A portal linked to a realm of fire, with some kind of a beast within. Oh, he was sure it would be fine, with his earrings and… An orb? Ruairi leaned in closer to take a look at the round object Yuku showed him.
    "Ooh. That, I'm sure, will make things easy," he nodded. A hot place with all these protections against the heat made it just a normal place. Not a big problem at all!

"We just have to find a way to close this portal, then!" The Rito had deducted, and looked quite proud of that fact as the other two continued their shopping spree. Eve made herself heard once she too was absorbed by all the shoes on display – a tinge of jealousy hitting Ruairi. Alas, he was unable to shop for shoes like this…
    "Give me the orb," he did demand, now that he had learned that one existed. They probably shouldn't let the Kokiri hold onto it for too long.
  7. Electronic Ink

T-teach? Yuku blinked in shock at the nickname. What on earth had she done to earn that sort of descriptor? Either way, she lifted a foot and slipped it into the boot, the rickety wooden stool rocking beneath her as she laced them back up. The other boot followed as Ruairi spoke.
    "Easy might be an overstatement!" she laughed, fiddling with the laces of the boot. "But you're correct. Closing the portal is our priority; I suspect that the impossible creature inside should be our target, rather than a hazard to avoid. Such beasts are often tied to the forces that spread these sorts of evils... but that is entirely conjecture, forgive my speculation."
    She stood, tilting her heels from side to side before taking a few steps forward.

"Pardon me, ma'am, I don't suppose you've crafted any of these in a slightly larger size? These are a bit tight."
    The Gerudo woman seemed deeply uncomfortable with the train of conversation occurring at her stall, but silently turned and began sorting through the boxes of wares not on display, coming up with another pair of wide-toed Zora suitable boots.
    "I've got one other pair here, but I think those would be too big for you."
    "These should fit, thank you!"
    Sitting down once more, Yuku turned her attention to Eve as she removed the ill-fitting boots and tried on the larger pair. "Thank you for your patience, it didn't occur to me earlier that it was a poor idea to go barefoot in there!"
    Ruairi's manners made her snort a quiet laugh.

"He's right, though, Eve," the Zora stood to test out the second pair of boots. "It may be best for Ruairi to have his orb now, to make sure that everyone is equipped before we get ahead of ourselves,"
    Privately, she also suspected that Ruairi's clothing may have been designed more for show than practicality, and he'd have to be sure that his garb had suitable pockets or pouches to carry the orb in before they left.
  8. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Eve, at Ruairi's mention, procured two orbs from her bag. She looked at them, raising both to eye level and peering through their mysterious composition. Keeping gaze with them, she waited until Yuku's mention of the devices to finally snap out of it and offer the item. She held her hand out, pocketing the other orb. At this point Ruairi's demand had gone unfulfilled and his waiting stare encompassed the girl as she looked up at him. With a strong grip she made certain the ball of shadow was secure in the Rito's hand as to be clear that he would not drop it this early into their quest.

With that, the anomalous child tore through her bag once again and revealed a long piece of parchment. Her eyes once again were filled with focus, this time a yellow gleam flashing as she analyzed the instructions.

"I'm just going to look at my checklist, I need to make sure we followed all the instructions." she uttered with a deadpan lack of melody in her voice.

She continued to look and it was clear to her comrades at this point that the paper was covered in poorly drawn icons representing unknowable directives. There was a lot of color and a distinct lack of clarity in the lines-- crayon it seemed. It appeared that Eve had numerous plans, though many had been checked off at this point. She seemed introspective as she looked at the sheet though.

"We need to let the Captain know we're headed off soon. I know we're just about equipped, I'm just planning on leaving him a letter. I want the message to be. . . meaningful. None of us could do this without his guidance. Except you Chicky you are already a powerful hero." she announced, mysteriously.

It was a good idea to leave Julius something of value and substance. The man had been an inspiration and leader in the best and worst of times, often leading his allies to victory through his courage, his abilities, or most importantly his message. Eve wasn't going to let that idea fade in this difficult time. She looked at everyone, and then pulled something unusual from her bag: an ink pen.
  9. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi pondered the Zora's thoughts on the matter. A beast that may have had to be killed before they could do what they were sent out to do and close the portal. It seemed like saving the day wasn't as easy as first assumed, if that truly was the case. Then again, it wasn't like he knew how to close weird magic portals, either. Oh well! He was sure the answer would present itself once he actually saw what they were working with.

Right now the Rito was only really interested in the orb he was supposed to get. Giddy like a child waiting for a present, he held his hands out as Eve pulled out the mysterious orb and placed it in his hand – perhaps in a slightly condescending way, like she thought he was going to drop it, but he was going to let that slide. As if he really was the one most likely to drop them! It felt heavy in his hand, and Ruairi raised it up to look at its smooth surface and interesting patterns. It was rather pretty…

He was mesmerized by the orb for a while, before he glanced at the Kokiri's long list of tasks, and some kind of a message to a Captain… The Rito did puff his chest once he was recognized as a powerful hero, before he did a double take.
    "It's Ruairi," he reminded Eve, definitely not accepting being called Chicky in the same sentence. His huffing was short-lived, as he turned to look at his allies. Well, mostly Yuku.

"I'll head back to my wagon to get properly clothed, then! Where shall we meet?"
  10. Electronic Ink

Satisfied with the fit of the boots, Yuku pulled out her wallet and counted the rupees out. "These are perfect, I'll take them," she told the shopkeeper, handing over the stones. The Gerudo woman nodded and tucked the money away in a pouch slung around her waist, and Yuku turned back to her compatriots. Eve's checklist seemed... creative, but the most important thing was that its author could understand it, so the unusual methods were perfectly understandable, she supposed. Ruairi was staring lovingly into the heart of his orb, and the Zora could not blame him; the shifting smoke within had an allure to it.

"A good idea to leave correspondence," Yuku agreed. Yuku had not known Eve for very long, but to see a proper pen in her hand was somewhat startling. It lacked the characteristic childish nature that even the checklist had exemplified. "I certainly feel I owe a debt of gratitude to the Captain. His nature and generosity has allowed me to provide for my children; while I will admit I am anxious for this to be over and to return to them, I feel obliged to do my part. Let me know if there is any aid I can provide in your letter,"

Walking somewhat heavily as she adjusted to the weight of her boots, Yuku moved away from the stall somewhat.
    "I propose we meet by the gates as soon as we're able. Make haste, mind - dawdling would not serve us well. Where have you parked your wagon?"
    Yuku let out a long breath, wishing they were closer to the river so that she could try and cool off before their quest. Although even the river waters had been muggy and unpleasant as of late.
  11. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    The trio was clutching their orbs, soon the bare minimum they needed to not suffer in the ongoing heat. As if by divine inspiration, the jittering Kokiri girl noticed the urgency of their situation and decided instead to pen the letter for delivery to the guardsman's homestead. A brief sigh explained her frustration well enough, as even were she to send it with the postal service the circumstances would make it a letter fit for a snail.

"Right-o. We're in such a bind we'll hafta send it separately, and I appreciate the help but I think I know just what to tell 'im." the girl babbled, eyes plastered to the parchment. "Must be a postbox on the way to the gate anyhow, I wannae pen it as we go."

Eve's glance would catch the Zora now and then, a glint of admiration showing through. Her thoughtful attitude toward the letter would fade her brief smiles. The deft way she scribbled her Hyrulean script was baffling considering her track record of scrawling unruly shapes that could barely pass as letters. It was evident by way of her writing form that she had not been performing some act of deception. It rather seemed that her fingers wrapped around the implement in a notably different way than with the colorful wax. Her great deception was carrying the bothersome pastels in the first place. A keen eye would reveal to the reader what she had intended to say:

Eve very hastily scribbled, finishing the letter with barely enough time to envelope it and stuff it in the postbox on the way toward the gate. The overdressed Kokiri and incredibly patient Zora had remembered, at some point Ruairi had replied with the location of his wagon. In any case, since they had taken their time the minstrel would be almost done by their calculations. Eve having been writing and Yuku perhaps managing various tasks as they worked their way to the outskirts of Castle Town. From this point on, their haste would be best used on that dreaded portal. The punishingly bright sky taught a painful lesson in anticipation. But first and foremost they hesitated as the dashing Ruairi would arrive any minute.
  12. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi nodded a few times enthusiastically as a meeting place was decided. He could let the other two do whatever it was they still had to do, and he could get dressed!
    "Oh, perfect. It's not too far from the gates," he clapped his hands together. He'd be there in no time! …After he had chosen what to wear, of course, which most likely would take some time. There was no time to waste, then, and with a wave of his hand, the Rito started to make his way towards his wagon, with haste. His step was bouncy, almost a jog. He couldn't wait! He already had so many ideas!

The door was slammed open as Ruairi rushed into his wagon, digging through his mountains of clothes in his closet. Where had he put all the Gerudo-styled clothes? Too far back, of course, not having needed to wear them in a while. But they would be the perfect clothes for something hot, right? Airy, light, easy to move in… And he was sure they'd protect him from the sun. Of course, the earrings and the orb he was given would be the ones actually doing something, but that wasn't something he realized yet…

Oh, and he absolutely needed to do his hair. Maybe some braids on the sides, curl and put up the rest so they'd be hidden under the shawl. And if he was going to put on the veil, his eyes would need to pop with something lighter around them. Oh yes. And maybe he still needed to wear some proper boots, so his feet didn't get scorched.

Eventually, after being stylishly late, Ruairi finally emerged and walked up to the gates. Perhaps it was difficult to recognize him at first, his face mostly obstructed by the heavily decorated veil, leaving only his eyes visible, framed in light paints. Perhaps the first sight of him did bring to mind a Gerudo, with the clothes he wore. The long boots ended in light-colored, loose pants, with cuts in just the right places to flash the occasional thigh on the sides, when the colorful scarves tied around the Rito's hips moved just right. They were a must for some extra pizzazz and nice movements as the fringes swayed with his motions… And he supposed they helped cover some of his bare midriff, as the top he was wearing most definitely did not do any of that. At least the detachable sleeves he had decided to wear were ones that covered his shoulders.

But the shawl covering his head he was very proud of, as it bounced with his steps. It was a stylish piece of cloth indeed – he really should have worn it more often! It was so light, the intricate details shimmering in the light, and its light purple color was such a beautiful shade in Ruairi's eyes. Such a great buy. He was certain it would be great in giving his head and face some extra shade! He was feeling great despite all the heat! …Though perhaps it was the power of the orb.
    "Yoohoo!" He called out to the others, waving his hand,
    "What are we waiting for? Let's show them all just how refreshing I can be!"
  13. Electronic Ink

The walk to the gate was somewhat quiet as Yuku reflected on the journey ahead. She thought on her children, who had barely left the safety of water for a week, the heat drying out their fragile scales faster than Yuku had ever seen. Her own scales had been uncomfortably dry and tight, and she thought on the line of wearied people waiting to access the well in Lon Lon. If nothing changed, the people of Hyrule were sure to begin running their wells dry. The rivers were powerful, but not every town was near a river. And the heat had not yet plateaued.

As they walked, Yuku flexed her fingers, focusing on the words of the spellbook she had been reading. Once again water began to pool up from the cobblestones. She was able to focus properly once they reached the gate; holding her hands in front of her, the grass outside the gates became sodden and bubbled. She stepped away from Eve, wanting to avoid splashing the Kokiri. Gritting her teeth, Yuku pushed the spell further - before finally, to her delight, a jet of water burst from the ground. It burst upwards and Yuku stepped backward in surprise before grinning widely. She'd finally pulled off the spell! She watched the water rain down for around a minute, enjoying the feel of it on her scales, before the flow finally subsided. The parched grass would surely be grateful, she thought, crouching to place her hand in the large puddle of water left behind. The dry ground was having some trouble absorbing it, but she knew it would be gone before long. The spellbook had described the water it would generate as warm, but in comparison to the horrible heat that had suffused all natural waters she had encountered recently, the temperature was perfect.

She paused for a moment, taking stock of how dry her scales and gills felt. Maybe she should take this opportunity to soak them before going into the hellish heat. The orb wouldn't exactly add humidity to the arid place, she was certain.
    "Pardon my manners," she told Eve, before unbuckling her belt and placing it aside. The water on the ground was shallow, but she still hummed in satisfaction as she lay in it, feeling a softness to her skin she hadn't felt in weeks. She turned her head sideways and breathed the grassy water; it wasn't the cleanest she'd ever inhaled, but the rush of it through her gills especially after the steam-treatment they'd endured in the fairy's fountain earlier was bliss. Yuku wondered what was taking the Rito so long as she lay there, rolling onto her side to try casting the spell again. Once may have been a fluke, after all. The second casting, a few feet away, was as successful as the first.

She sat up when she heard the youthful Rito call out, and stood from the diminished puddle. It took her a second to register what he was wearing, but Yuku couldn't fault the logic - the Gerudo people knew what garb coped with Hyrule's heat, after all. It was quite clever of him to rely on their expertise! Although she was rather shocked that in a situation such as this, he had paused to do his makeup.
    "Welcome back, Ruairi," she said warmly, picking up her belt and buckling it back on. "You look spectacular, I love your outfit."

She picked up her halberd and squared her shoulders.
    "Is everyone ready to go?"

[Yuku will complete this thread with the Geyser spell + augment, an additional level of Magic Power, and -30 rupees]