Watch Your Wallet

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Saria, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Saria

Saria Severely Acute Radical Syndrome reg

It was a wonderful, beautiful midday in Hyrule Castle Town. The sun was shining, people were bustling about and Wiki was doing what Wiki does best: scamming suckers for rupees. It was an easy set up, just a simple game of Blackjack. Take a rupee, shuffle some cards, make people feel comfortable, let them win a few times before she got them to "take a chance" on a higher dollar figure. Then of course once the real pot was set up, she'd just change the face of the cards with magic, assuring her victory.

Wiki was an asshole. But did she care? No. Why would she? She was making bank.

She'd switch spots every hour of course, just to keep it fresh.. and also because she was fairly sure that the more rupees she pulled in the more attention she got from the guards in the area. But Wiki wasn't an idiot - she kept the pots large enough for her to be satisfied, but small enough that if she did get busted her hands wouldn't immediately come flying off. Did they even cut people's hands off for scamming? Who knew, but Wiki was avoiding that outcome either way.

So right now Wiki sat on the corner of a half busy street, shuffling cards in an flashy manner and shouting out to random bystanders in an effort to attract them over to her.

Wiki was really good at shouting.
  2. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Striding down the street through the busy weekend rush was a Mad Scrub. There was an itch on his head, so he ran about under the legs of the tall races, scratching his scalp all the while. He bumped into a bald guy at this one part because he heard shouting. Then, he looked over to see, not a big obnoxious man, but a deku scrub. She was dressed in simple clothes but he could tell she was female. He just could okay. This is science I'm not explaining this.

So by the smell of her plant biology he followed the mesmerizing sound of her voice and her smell also? Then he walked up to her, and thought to himself. "This could be good for business" he thought. He went to the short-haired deku scrub. He thought, in his brilliant mind, that she could benefit from a good haircut. With that thought in mind, he approached her.

"So, you're a deku too. Want a haircut?" he smoothly asserted.

Yeah, he liked planning to steal from people, but this sentiment wasn't at all related to the situation.
  3. Saria

(( your drunk posts amuse me more than they should ))

Wiki just sat there staring at the Mad scrub standing in front of her for a few moments. Was this guy serious? She looked him over again. He didn't seem very old, so maybe he was just a weird kid but... who the hell walks up to someone on the street and asks them if they want a haircut? She then narrowed her eyes at him when what was obviously the hidden meaning behind his question hit her. Of course. What an asshole.

".. You think you can just wander over here and insult me?!" She said, suddenly standing up. Of course, Wiki's hair always looked like shit, but today it was looking particularly shitty. She recognized this, and of course had jumped to the conclusion that the Mad Scrub had offered her a haircut based solely on the fact that her hair looked awful. Which it did. Honestly, she needed a haircut, but damned if she was going to let some stranger get close to her head with a sharp instrument. Not a chance. She could take a knife to the roots of her leaves herself, thank you very much. "Do you get off on telling women their hair looks bad, is that it?!"

She shuffled her cards wildly in anger. What a prick.
  4. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Nope." the Mad Scrub said plainly in response.

He reached into his pouch and slipped out a poster. He slid his hand down the scroll and flattened it so that Wiki could see the entire thing. He pointed to the words on the sheet, not entirely knowing if she could read this particular dialect. He was somewhat confident that she would be impressed, since if she didn't want a trim she may be interested in his other services.

"How about that? A color treatment for those verdant locks? Maybe instead you would like to play a game? I want to play a game." he babbled in total ignorance of his surroundings.

Billy did however notice the card game they were playing. Ah yes, a game. Maybe even too much of a gamble. He thought to himself. Would he rather turn Wiki's hair from evergreen to olive, or would he rather join this nutter in liberating funds from the Hyrulean public? She was already replying to him, but he was lost in thought.

"Yes. . . what you are doing is more profitable." he mumbled. "Those abusive aristocrats. . ."
  5. Saria

Wiki narrowed her eyes at the man. Something... something didn't smell right. When he pulled out a poster, her eyes squinted even further to read it. She looked up at the man, then down at the poster, then back up at the man again.

Wiki continued to shuffle her cards as he spoke. She was not impressed, nor was she really making sense of what he was saying. He kept jumping from subject to subject and mentioned her profits and then something about abusive aristocrats? As he continued to babble, Wiki started to think that this man might actually be intoxicated. Sometimes Wiki really wished that she could call over the guard without getting questioned herself for looking way too familiar to someone on a wanted poster. Which was definitely not her. Never, no way.

"... Listen, kid, I have no intention of getting my hair done, 'specially not by a drunk," Wiki said, continuing to shuffle her cards. "Now do you want to play a game of Blackjack or what?" Wiki was not here to get her hair done. Wiki was here to cheat suckers like this one out of their pocket change.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Billy gasped in shock. She knows I am drunk. Was it the smell of blue comb juice on my breath?

"I didn't drank the blue comb juice. Let's play a game. I want to play a game change the subject."

Billy drew his hand. It was blurry but he could barely see the outcome. It was a twenty-four hand. Billy's eyes went solemn. No, it couldn't be. Nobody had ever beaten Billy at Blackjack. Actually, Billy was too drunk to notice that not only was it easy to lose at Blackjack, but he had probably never won a game in his life.

"Oh whoops I only. . . *hic* have ten rupees. Nope."

He rubbed his hands together. What a time to be young and naive. What was he doing, staring at those cards. Something was off about him. He continued to rub his hands.

"My what a cold night, I better get something to warm my hands."

He reached into his pouch slowly. Billy faltered his speech. He pulled out his closed fist. With a flick of his wrist, he smacked a Deku Nut to the floor.

"Haha! You'll never catch- OW!" he shouted wildly. In his drunkness, he blasted himself in the eyes with the flash of his nut. He wobbled over as the flash stunned him, ringing and stinging on top of his intoxication. Needless to say he fell on his ass.
  7. Saria

Wiki grinned. How easy it was to scam suckers like this. People with low IQs deserved to get scammed, especially drunk ones. The man actually had a winning hand… until Wiki changed it, that is. So simple, so easy. This was the kind of monetary success Wiki liked, quick, cheap, and easy. It left her more time to worry about binge reading stupid fantasy novels and historical texts. The literal worst.

However, her smile quickly soured when the man tried to run. Wiki sighed. How awful. How completely, completely awful. She looked up, realizing it was getting late and people were starting to close up their street wares and moving inside. Wiki looked at this … gosh, poor Mad Scrub. Wiki couldn’t really feel too bad for him, though. He got what was coming to him.

A plan hatched in her brain and her smile returned. She suddenly appeared cordial, going over to Billy and helping him up. “Hey man, it’s ok. Don’t worry.” She grinned. Mad Scrubs were dumb by default, but drunk ones? Fuck, this could work.

“… listen, I’m about ready to pack up, you want to help me out with a job, kid? I’ll give you a cut,” she said, beaming. Heh.
  8. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Guide my braid then, comrade. Blade. I meant blade." he stifled as he tripped himself off the ground. With her hand, the kid made it back onto his feet.

She'll give me a cut. Billy mused to himself. He loved giving cuts, and he wasn't in much of a position to refuse. He'd lied to her after all. There was no free pat of aftershave. He'd drank it all in despair earlier. Nobody wanted a haircut from an insane little monster. While normally he would have leapt into an open window at the first sign of trouble, it seemed he was in the vulnerable kind of position where something like that couldn't even happen. He'd just have to sober up on the way to his new mission. Not likely though, after swallowing that blue shit.

"Ayyy wot? Just say me when and I'll come with." he mumbled tipsily as he helped pick up the cards.
  9. Saria

Wiki made the mental note to figure out some way to make people sober. Because honestly people who were intoxicated were intolerable. Hell, Wiki was pretty intolerable when she was intoxicated. Especially when she was drunk. There was a reason why she didn't drink.

"Listen, uh, first things first.. can you do any magic?" Wiki asked. She knew exactly what she needed from a very specific person. She blinked, realizing that she might be tipping off this boy to her abilities.

"It's uh," she quickly said. "You see, this person knows me. But they also have a dog. And the uh.. Dog really dislikes magic." Her eyes quickly darted to the side. Sure.

She scratched at her chin. She didn't want this guy messing with her target too much. Ah well. Screw it.

"Adding that, tell me about yourself kid... You seemed a bit eager to accept such a job." she chuckled. Wiki didn't care too much. But information was information. "And now. Right now. I know this guy's schedule. Trust me. Best to just go in the back at this time of day."
  10. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "'Course I can do magic, sisner! Have a watch at this:" he began with a startling new glow in his eyes. He reached his hands together in focus.

The branchy hands clasped in unison, but it wasn't certain at first what he was doing. Soon, he folded his index finger over his thumb and then clasped his other thumb into his palm. He began to pull at his hand in a gesture that indicated he was removing his thumb from the other hand. Billy excitedly clicked his heels together in pride at his stunt.

"Ehh? Ehhhh? Magiiic!" he hiccuped at the magic scrub.

Needless to say, he wasn't letting any magic-smelling dog smell anything but corrosive tool cleaner on his breath. He seemed fully interested in helping out, and waaaay too drunk to think about what he was about to do. He'd be maybe a good distraction, or his sneaking skills might come in handy if nobody important was around to watch him when he slipped up. One way or another, something was going to happen this night if Billy was left to his designs.
  11. Saria

Wiki rolled her eyes. If she had teeth she would have gritted them. She hated intoxicated people, they were all incompetent fools. But it was good to know that this Deku was pretty incompetent in magic. Hopefully they were awful at fighting as well. It was so easy to trick people into revealing more information about themselves than necessary with just a little lie. Din, especially when it came to alcohol. But, again, there were things to do... and Wiki was impatient.

"Let me help you out," she sneered, activating her Sobriety spell and making contact with the other Deku. "There. You can thank me later." She smirked. She knew how many rupees went into intoxication and it pleased her greatly to know she could ruin someone's investment so quickly. If she wasn't trying to get something out of this man she would have cackled.

"Alright, alright," Wiki yawned. "Come on. There are things to do."
  12. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Billy choked as the spell activated. A small wad of blue coughed out of his snout. The lights of the torches in the street became brighter as he quickly became sober. Everything around him from the buildings to the people went from blurry to crystal clear before his eyes. He looked at his hand, the detail in the smooth wood showing cracks and imperfections as if reality had become a magnifying glass. With his returned focus and a final cough he stood straight.

"Right. Never mind the bollocks, I'm in. I'm never drinking the scissor cleaner again. Not having any jobs really sets a guy on fire. Let's just go and we can try to forget about it." Billy nervously added as he took back to his sea-legs.

Billy checked himself for equipment. In his previous state he didn't actually make sure he was ready. It looked like his ropes and pouches were still secured to his legs and back. That meant he had all his bells and whistles, but... a quick check confirmed his battered shear blade was still fastened to his back. It was going to be a long night. Billy started after Wiki to whatever ungodly nest egg they were after.
  13. Saria

Wiki crossed her arms. Why were people who got intoxicated so annoying? If they had to apologize for their behavior, why do it in the first place? Wiki never apologized. She refused to, of course. Also: scissor cleaner? Was that what they were calling it these days? Augh, disgusting.

The Deku led the pair down some winding paths in castle town. One would notice if they paid attention that she dodged the guards occasionally and flipped up her hood when she couldn't. She had no intention of being sent back to prison. She was probably more recognizable now that her snout was ruined. Occasionally she would tense up remembering this fact. She remained silent as they walked, mostly because she had nothing to say to this man. Well, nothing that was pleasant.

She turned suddenly into a alley - multitudes of small, one story town homes lined the block. This was the back of a large amount of them.

"This one," she said, pointing to a window with faded curtains. She crossed her arms. "... Go on, break it for me." She wasn't going to have her scent anywhere on the inside of this place. No way.
  14. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Billy crossed his arms. This part of town had a surprisingly low number of floors for a heist. Billy wondered briefly if maybe the treasure they were finding was a huge secret: a true nest egg. He wanted to justify what he was about to do in any way he could, but he sincerely wasn't sure what he was doing was right. Seeing that the Wiki before him needed his help getting in changed his mind, however. He wasn't a mind-reader but it looked like she didn't want to be caught red-handed having blown into this place with magic. That would explain her little examination before...

Billy very quickly hatched a plan for this little game of his. He could always smash the window himself and risk taking the fall for his elder's schemes. But, if he could open the window without making a scene... his idea could work. Billy noted his two main tools. A feather and a rope, normally not very useful. But Billy's IQ happened to be freakishly higher than your average Octorok. He noted the window's lock being on the inside, but the shape of the metal frame outside being petaled like a lace doily. The solution was actually pretty simple.

Billy launched himself into the air with his Roc's Feather, reaching a distance several times his own height and nearly the full eight feet to the window's frame. As he slowly rotated in the air, he forcefully looped an end of his Cheval Rope into the window frame. This was the moment he needed. He twisted the loop of rope so that two ends were in his grip. As he fell back down, an arch of unbreakable rope snared the entire window frame and pulled with the full weight of his body and downward momentum of his leap. That was what he had wanted, to shatter this puzzle as if it were a mere kids' toy. The rectangular frame creaked as Billy violently flopped down on the tightening rope.

There was a snap, while loud it was not nearly as loud as the suddenly shattering glass would have been from inside the home. The frame flopped and ripped off of its internal bearing. Billy's eyes widened as large panes of glass quickly dropped over his head. With his arms braced for the impact he poorly deflected the window onto the ground while taking a painful hit. The window did break as it slid to the stone alleyway, but not in such a violent manner as it would have without its fall broken by Billy's face. As such, it fractured into enough pieces to count on your hands if you wanted. These pieces continued to slide as Billy made a pained moan and curled up on the road.
  15. Saria

Wiki's head flipped around in various directions at the sound of the noise. Had this kid ever done anything of value before in his life?! She looked down at the poor sap. Probably not. She crossed her arms and looked down at the groaning scrub. His act was way too exuberant for such a heist. He could have just ... well he could have done a lot of things, but frankly none of them should have been the act he had just performed.

"Alright, come on, get up," she said without remorse. She tapped her foot impatiently. She was wondering how far she could push this scrub until he got tired of her antics - he seemed far too cooperatitve for a random stranger. Maybe he was just really interested in how to properly burglarize? Wiki wasn't complaining. She couldn't have her scent all over this place and if another scrub was willing to take her place that was fine with her.

Barks could be heard from the inside. While normally Wiki would have been setting such a creature on fire, she knew this mark and she knew that if this stupid pup was gone she would be the first to be blamed. Or at the very least she would have to deal with someone crying on her shoulder for a few hours when she came back later as a visitor. She was not prepared for that.

"Listen, I'll direct you, just climb on inside. Next to the bed, there's a little night stand. Look in the drawer, pull out the journal, slip back through the window, easy," Wiki said, looking over the wooden creature. "... the dog's friendly. I swear."

She looked down at Billy again. Was he going to move yet? "Hey.. are you okay or do I have to get someone else?"
  16. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Billy shuddered as he lifted himself to his feet. His top-heavy form made him teeter in his dizziness. With Wiki's... assurance(?) Billy quickly snapped back to task. Right into the window it was, then. Billy hustled back into position and leapt a nasty height with his Roc's Feather. Like a cannon-powered volleyball, Billy shot through the empty windowsill.

Billy flopped onto the floor of the home, rolling into the bed right by the presumed night stand. With his head propped against the bed frame, he remembered the very real dog that was barking before. The giddy little terrier hung out a floppy tongue to cool off. Sinister. These dogs were notorious for their conduct in Hyrule's cities. Upon spotting a short Deku Scrub, packs of these beasts would give chase. While barking loudly, the fastest mutt would pounce their victim. This is what Billy expected, anyway. Dogs just like to chase small, fast things. It wasn't their fault exactly that a Deku might be shaken down and have his leaves removed. The terrier playfully yipped at Billy's increasingly harrowed face.

Billy whipped around, keeping focused on the mission. All he had to do was take the journal, no confrontations necessary. Billy eased his face up as he turned to the drawer. His hand froze as he held it to the knob. Something entered the corner of his eye. There was a round clay pot on the floor in the corner. The unassuming furniture stared back at him menacingly. Pots, the only thing more soulless and dangerous than dogs! He had to do something before the pottery went in for the killing blow. Billy grabbed the pot and threw it across the room so that it couldn't begin levitating toward his head like usual. Screaming like a little girl, Billy hurled the vile pot unexpectedly into the terrier. With a gentle thud it bounced off the dog's head.

The terrier toppled over, now out cold. The pot collided with the floor and shattered into harmless bits. Billy crincged back onto the bed and held on for dear life. This adventure stuff was such a rush, and way dangerous. His attention faded from his near-death experience to the floor again. There was a small pile of green rupees in the various gibs of the pot. The robbery had truly begun. Billy bounded to the floor to stash the precious loot in his bag. This gave Billy the perfect idea. If the total homicidal jerk who owned this house was going to set such malicious traps, it was up to Billy to retaliate. He was suddenly fired up to take this place apart by the hinges.

With no hesitation, he shoved open the bedside drawer. The Mad Scrub's eyes lit up as he spotted the journal. Along with. . . some kind of small badge. The badge probably would never be important again so Billy ignored it. He held the journal tightly, wondering what could be inside. Billy raced to the window to drop it down to Wiki.

"So sorry for the wait! I bumbled up but I have the goods." Billy relayed down to the street.
    "I'm going back for more 'kay bye." he added before sprinting off.

Billy quickly set his sights on a sack of grain, which he promptly poured out all over the floor. With the grain sack in hand, he set his sights on the silverware.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  17. Saria

The Deku was going to scream. But if she screamed, someone would probably hear her. Why was this idiot trashing everything?! She had heard a yelp. Wiki really hoped this kid didn't kill that dog. Spaghet would literally have her head. That was the one thing she could never fuck with, that stupid, stupid dog. She really hated that thing.

She quickly began to read. She lived for this shit. But she knew that if she took this, Spaghet would know it was her. Even if he smelt Deku, if she kept the diary here - and she insisted on calling it diary of course - the stupid moblin would think it was just someone else. She also did have a pretty distinct scent. And... he... was used to smelling her outside of his house. She latched onto the wall and climbed up to the window after she was done reading what she wanted to find out and saw the Deku wrecking even more shit. Din Dammit.

"W-Watch what you're doing you fuckin' idiot," Wiki hissed as she heard more clamoring inside. Damn, she really needed to stop trusting mad scrubs. Well, now she's just limiting herself more. Maybe if she wasn't such a racist bastard she would learn to accept help from other races as well and her options wouldn't be so small.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  18. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "We. . . we aren't here to really rob him, are we? Oh. . . shit. Dude's rich, I'm still taking his silverware." Billy answered as he continued stuffing the canvas sack with utensils.

Billy knew his ambition would go to waste if this rich guy was let off without a slap on the wrist. Billy could easily load the sack with valuables to distribute out to the poor without a second thought. He swept a few more stray rupees into the bag. If the house owner had evidence of why they broke in, it would probably cover his tracks. Besides, this awful bastard was responsible for keeping yet another vicious terrier on the streets where it could chase more innocent Deku Scrubs. That's just more oppression waiting to show its ugly head.

"Don't worry Sarge. With my help, nobody will ever find out who broke this guy's window. Also a bunch of other stuff. The gods will be pleased this day!" he finished as he hobbled over to the window with the jingling bag. He heaved the bag onto the side-table so he could let his accomplice get a word in.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  19. Saria

Wiki's eyes narrowed. She didn't want this bastard to rob Spaghet entirely... but really, what choice did she have? If she told the other scrub to stop his looting he would ask why. She wasn't about to answer that question. She desperately wanted to climb in through the window. Spaghet's house was... well, it was Spaghet's house. She always felt at home here. It was welcoming, full of memories and frankly somewhere she always and desperately wanted to be. Plus, if this jerkoff took all of Spaghet's shit she wouldn't have as much to fuck around with when she was here.

"Of course we're here to rob him," she said as she threw the diary back at the scrub. "Here, rub this all over yourself and put it back." She was going to watch him do it. Intently. (( :hmn: )) She really hoped that no one walked down the alley behind the house. Wiki was hanging outside of a window. That didn't look suspicious at all.

"... What exactly did you take?"
  20. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Oh you know boss, Silverware mostly. A few potatoes. Rich fellas are always hogging all the spuds! How's this by the by? I'm getting my leaves all on this book." he replied heartily.

He shook his browned leaves all over the thing, making it smell like Autumn. Without question he didn't smell even close to Wiki. A spark of inquiry appeared in his eyes. He was... putting the book back? Billy began to feel vertigo. This Deku Scrub was leading him on, pulling his leg. But to what end? She seemed to care about this man more than she let on.

While normally he would have felt completely betrayed, Billy caught on. She was reading his diary because she had feelings for this man. Billy's eyes filled with joy. He placed the book poorly back in its place to keep up the ruse that they were robbing him. Yeah. . . they weren't really robbing the owner. Delicious potatoes, Billy couldn't stop thinking about them. His flower perked up as he got ready to jump out the window. Potato~ potato~

He slid down the rope into the alleyway, quickly forgetting his revelation over the dancing potatoes in his head. So what if this lady liked the guy? Billy couldn't interfere. Besides that, once his perpetual hunger was gone he could finally get back to real barber gigs. So the subject of the potatoes came back in full force. . . it was going to be a long night.