Want to control a dungeon?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Jan 9, 2014.

?

Should this happen?

1. Yup.

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nope.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I touched on this in the shoutbox a bit, and talked it over with the Staff... or, well, the one other active Staff Member.

Anyway, basically, any user would be able to play a role like "Game Master" or "Dungeon Master" for a Classic Dungeon. They would describe the dungeon, the enemies, and the treasure, while other players would just describe their own character's actions. An individual DM could set his or her own rules, such as whether or not players can control enemies, or how much say players have on their treasures.

The players would earn the normal rewards for the Classic Dungeon, whereas the DM would earn a straight 60 rupees (not treasures), which could be divided between his characters however he likes. However, for qualifying for Super Dungeons, the DM wouldn't count as completing any dungeon he DM'd. Likewise, a DM could control a Super Dungeon even if he didn't met its requirements.

If this worked well enough, we could see about expanding this option to quests as well.

So, what do you think? Yes? No? Change something?

EDIT: Of course, you'd still be able to do Classic Dungeons without a DM if you wanted.

EDIT2: Magnere brought this up in the cbox. If a DM didn't post for a considerable length of time without reason (probably over 2 weeks), the players would be allowed to get another DM to take over the job.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    I like the idea.

That said, I would not like seeing this idea expanding to quests. Mainly, because with the scarcity of reliably active rpers,it would be difficult to complete such a GMed quest, especially since you need to rely totally on one person to dictate what would happen in a quest. But... I suppose it wouldn't be too painful, especially as an option for those who would prefer that method of questing.

I say yea.
  3. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    I would immediately want to DM something with set rewards, there's not always a time when I have a character that fits a situation or party, and a lot of my quests already involve me making up enemies and situations.

Yes is my vote, I want this to happen hard.
  4. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I like the idea a lot, but I think for now it should just stay to CDs. Maybe in the future it could include quests to, but that seems like too massive of a jump at once.

Though, the rupee reward seems a little high. That's 20 more than the (average) player in a Classic Dungeon, especially since, in my opinion, GMing is easier in a freeform setting, since it's sort of what you're doing already in a typical roleplay(albeit with a different approach), just you don't have any individual character responsibilities.
  5. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    If limited to Classic Dungeons, I could really see this working. I often find myself largely functioning like this in my dungeon threads depending on who I'm RPing with anyway, and apparently I'm good at coming up with stuff for the dungeon? I'd gladly use that skill to help others run through dungeons that they, frankly, have no idea what to do with. Similarly I'd love to have it taken off of my shoulders every once in a while.

This could also help people who haven't played certain games to run through the dungeons of said games without having to do extensive research on it. I'm for.
    Cloud likes this.