The Great Old Lights (Doc Genz, Eternis)

Discussion in 'Southern Hyrule' started by Doc Genz, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    (Quest Bureau)

Dust devils twisted over the surface of the vast sand plain. With entrances to the Western Caves dotting the landscape of Southern Hyrule, finding just the right spot shouldn't have been easy. But the boy responding to the quest summons had spotted Eve leaving the town. She was in absolutely no hurry. She may have just been very used to wandering around for long periods of time.

At a second glance, it seemed she was dragging something heavy. In the harsh light of the desert sun, there was a bright golden gleam coming off of a polished metallic object in her arm. Eve dragged this delicately crafted warhammer with ease as she ambled along, with no more than a stumble here or there. Her methods were unorthodox, but with purpose all the same. In the blazing light of the sun there were fewer monsters and obstacles than there would be in the dark.

After countless other notices and quest letters sent to the bureau without any response, she was sure this time she would have to go alone. Nobody in their right mind would read a notice like that and actually do what it asked. This time was different, however. Someone spotted her steering off into the desert and wished to find out where she was going. It made no difference to her, since she was not strapped for time.

The long path stopped at a small ledge. Eve tugged at her cowl. The faded green cloth fell around her neck, letting her deep brown hair rustle out into the powerful winds. Her face was caked in the desert clay left behind by the constantly twisting sands. Her brow furrowed neatly as she peered down the ledge.

[​IMG]
    Five or so Aruroda scouted the cracked and scorched earth. The only way forward would be to alert one or more of them. Eve knew a fight was imminent. She hopped the ledge and slid to the ground with a thud. She dove to the left, one of the creatures noticed her right away and launched a fireball right in her direction. The fight had begun.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Holle released a stone from his spinning sling at the Aruroda that had just fired at Eve, then leaped down onto the back of one of the monsters that had just begun to spin towards the commotion, causing its legs to buckle, and while the eye was still open, rammed his hunting knife into the middle of its eye.
    "Sorry for intruding, but somehow I think five may be just a little too much for you."
    Ducking underneath a fireball aimed at his head, Holle winced as his shoulder blades and hair sizzled as the passing fireball singed them.
    "Ow! Yeah, only a little.
    Holle leapt forwards onto an oncoming Aruroda's back, which then began to stab at his clinging limbs.
    "I'd appreciate it if you'd help me out with this rather pesky beastie. Once you're out of those two trying to flank you, of course."
  3. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Eve picked herself up and dusted herself off. The dust already on her dress didn't seem to budge from the fibers. "I really need a new outfit."
    She looked 'round at the adolescent, then watched his movements. This is the guy, she thought. The two Aruroda he mentioned began to crawl toward her, confidently.
    "You're actually exactly what I needed, boy. Mind coming with me to the caves? By your fashion sense I can sense that you're familiar with them."

A sound resembling the cry of a hungry hawk resounded over the flats. It was her, the Kokiri. With her hammer lifted high above her head, she screamed as two piercing eyes from under her shaggy bangs gleamed. Using the split seconds of fear she bought, then struck one of the creatures. The tough but flexible chitin of the monster was not enough to stop the blunt metal from cracking it. The second monster approached hungrily.

Before she could turn around, it leapt and sunk a stinger into her flesh. From the looks of things, the girl had done this a million times before. She sighed heavily and turned around to flatten the second one.
    "I'm coming. . . just hold on there."
    She broke into a run, dropping her weapon. She gritted her teeth and tackled the monster with Holle still on it. She clasped both hands around its tail as if to choke a small animal. It was faint and brief, but a black flame appeared as she crushed the tail between her hands.
    "My name is Eve. Just by the way."
  4. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Holle brushed dust out of his eyelashes, nodding to the korkiri, then thinking better of it.
    Bowing exorbitantly and flamboyantly, Holle, with many flourishes of hands, spoke in as formal a tone as he could manage.
    "It is an honour to meet you, Lady Eve. I pledge you my loyalty on this quest of yours in return for the assistance you have given me in slaying these pesky beasties."
    Taking an exaggerated breath in, as if recovering from his small sentence, Holle jumped into the air, the usual rush of his favourite magic tricks filling his body as he leapt extremely high into the air and made himself almost hover horizontally about half a foot above her head, spreading his cloak to reduce his already negligible fall.
    "I am rather familiar with the Western Caves, having used the various nooks and crannies and shorter tunnels to assist me in avoiding mostly justified retaliation after I played one or more tricks on my fellow inhabitants. However, somehow I think that what you're looking for will be a little deeper than what I've been using."
    Holle thought for a moment, then nodded slightly, then only an inch above, and a foot in front, of Eve's head.
    "I do know most of the entrances to the longer tunnels and larger caverns, so if you could give me some indication of which one, clues or what have you, I can probably start us off."
    Holle flipped his cloak forwards a little, bringing himself back vertical, then dropped lightly to the ground a foot below.
  5. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Glad you asked, actually. I did get a hint to which entrance to take. But we're taking a short detour first." the girl vaguely motioned in a commanding tone. "I hope you don't mind."
    She strode over and retrieved her weapon casually. Either she was taking a moment to think or wasn't aware of the awkward pause. A glint of gold shimmered from through her gloves. Of course, they were power bracelets. With the power boost, such a clumsy weapon could be carried with ease. Is that why she didn't put her weaponry away?
    "Oh, I got distracted. First, we're actually going to sort things out with some of the refugees. They should recognize us as friendly. It's said that if you help a person in dire need, their gratitude can crystallize into a potent and valuable material. We can do this any way we want and it shouldn't take very long. If the rumors are right on the mark, the artifact I'm looking for can only be restored by bringing fresh gratitude crystals to it."
    She seemed to have planned this very carefully. All of her pausing however, was not very convincing of her confidence. A stroke of the chin or a slight roll of the eyes showed that even she wasn't sure what was going on. What she was saying made sense though. If a treasure made of gratitude was left alone that long, it would probably need some rekindling.
    "I was going to go to a special meeting place to meet my partner but you're already here so we can skip that. Trust me, this is going to be way simple. Tee-hee!"
    She reached back for Holle's hand and grabbed tightly as if to pull him into a bustling festival.

With the sun still high in the air, the path began to lead into the mountains. Before even a single cave entrance could be seen, a battalion of Hylian Guards stood before a thin and rugged path. They were all tightly packed together, always on edge in case of a monster attack. Even the slightest hint of a monster could set them into attack mode.

"I'm not that good at talking, how about you address them to let us by. I'm originally not from here so I don't know the routine." Eve winced and motioned for Holle to go in front of her.
  6. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Holle smiled, winking at the kokiri, and walked casually towards the guards.
    "Hey Greg, how's the leg doing?..."
    The conversation began and, after a few minutes, all the guards broke out laughing, with Holle letting out a bashful little chuckle.
    "Hey, Eve, get over here!
    Holle beckoned to Eve as the guards turned in her direction, smiling. Turning back to the guards, he resumed his speech.
    "This is the Kokiri I've told you about. She wants to visit the caves, and have a bit of a look around, and has hired me as a bit of a guide. That alright with you blokes?"
    Nodding and with various murmurs of agreement, the guards beckoned her forwards, grinning.
  7. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Great work, mister. You really are a natural at this." Eve scratched the back of her head. With one last smirk she finally dropped the act and quit squinting her eyes. Such a hearty conversation made her forget about the quest. When they made it halfway up the thinning path cleft from massive stones, Eve regained her composure.
    "The settlement is this way, as you already know. We'll need to be on the lookout for any outstanding problems the villagers have. If they don't we'll just have to make one." she explained lightly.
    She seemed pretty intent on helping people, though she mumbled something inaudible at the end. The two strolled down the crevice, to the beginning of the caves. Eve reached into her cowl and pulled out a glowing orb. It was a tiny shimmering person, a fairy. The fairy glowed brightly in a deep color that unmistakably was the same color as cooked bologna.
    "I still need you to be in charge, mister. This cave system leads to the settlements that are out of Ganon's field of vision. As such, a non-Hylian like myself can't easily find the entrance either. My fairy should brighten things up a bit. Her name is Alicia- Alice? Lucy? What was your name again. . .?"
    ". . ." the fairy didn't respond at all. Alice flew around crookedly like a confused moth.
    "Oh, dear. They get so difficult when they age. Tee-hee!"
  8. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Holle looked up and innocently whistled, then coughed slightly.
    "There... may not be too much of a problem in finding issues the we refugees have. At the very least, you forcing a promise out of me that I wouldn't trick someone is a solution to problems that at least a hundred people have."
    Holle sighed, his mouth drooping into a slight frown as he spoke.
    "For example, Goodwife Elizabeth, left-most cave from the third tunnel down that way, is missing three-hundred and seven spools of red thread. They're hidden in a small nook, very hard to see even in bright light, on the left-hand wall just before you enter. Then there's John Barrow, he's missing sixteen logs of firewood, hidden in- actually, it IS a rock pile just behind a few sacks of flour of his. Rachel down there, third on the right, would give anything to have me as a still target to kick me in the shins- at least, I hope the shins, and her sister, Delia, still doesn't know that her favourite stuffed toy- she's fifteen, for goodness' sake! - is still just sitting in a cranny in Dave's cave, sixth tunnel down that-a-way, who really needs a new set of skins."
    After this foray of pointing and explanations, Holle laughed a little.
    "And that's just in the first twenty."
  9. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Well that sure makes this trip easier! I was just gonna scare someone's pet away so you could rescue it or something like that. The legend of Gratitude Crystals states even something like that can invoke a grateful Hylian to crystallize. You're telling me these poor villagers practically make their own problems?"
    Eve was still somewhat surprised, despite knowing full well how mad seclusion can drive a person. The light of her fairy led them down the tunnel, to the little nook. Eve extended her arm to stop Holle for a moment.
    "Now remember, we want as much Gratitude as possible. So lay the acting on really thick, make it real dramatic. Watch this."

Elizabeth sat coldly next to her hearth. In the fireplace stood a wooden carving that looked just like a fire, even painted like one. There was no easy way to get a chimney that deep into the rock. Eve slowly pushed open the creaky wooden door and whimpered. In her arms, a pile of spools.
    "W-when we heard about your spools. . ." Eve began, stifling as a tear dripped down her face. ". . . we just couldn't help but feel terrible. A lonely and fair miss like yourself, all without her favorite hobby during refuge. We scoured the entire cave system, told the thief what a miserable fiend he is and gave him what for. The heroic Holle roughed him up a bit before we brought him to justice. Here are your spools, Ma'am."

Goodwife Elizabeth was at a loss for words. "M-my thread." she paused, holding back tears. "You're the one responsible for all these threads? My savior!" she snatched a few spools to be sure. Once she knew they were surely her own spools, a bright light appeared above her head as she wept in joy. A wicked smile grew on Eve's face in the darkness. The Gratitude overflowed and crystallized above the woman's head into a plump and spiky candy-like shape. Eve snatched it up and stuffed it into her cowl.
    "Oh my, Holle, how can I ever repay you? One day you will be a local hero and will earn the village treasure! That pouch that makes everything small and light. . . My dear boy, my angel!"
    "You heard the fair miss, you'll be a Local Hero in no time at all!" Eve nudged and winked at the rising star.
    She grabbed his hand once more so that they could move on to the next delusional refugee.
  10. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

"I'm not quite sure you understood me correctly the first time... It isn't that I know about their problems, but that I've caused them. It's just so easy!"
    Holle looked really guilty, and kept looking back at Goodwife Elizabeth's cave.
    "At first, it was just me being a sneaky little scamp at the age of six, so I sneaked one out of her basket and into that crevice. The thing is, she didn't notice. So, I kept doing it. Every week when she was teaching me how to sew, because I wanted to be useful, I would sneak out one of her red spools of thread. But she never, ever noticed me doing it! By the time I had stolen my hundredth spool, she commented that she couldn't find her red spool.
    Singular. As in, she had no idea that she was missing any more than one. It was only after the two-hundredth that she really started getting worried, and by three hundred spools missing, she was beside herself."

Holle's fingers twitched as his voiced tightened up slightly.
    "I just wanted her to catch me doing it in the act, because she's always so complacent, and she's terribly clumsy because she just doesn't look! If she managed to catch me, she'd pay more attention..."
    Holle started walking towards John Barrow's cave, his face springing back into a grin.
    "John Barrow, on the other hand, kept calling me a useless plod, a wastrel, just because I was an orphan and his masonry skills got him this cave that, I don't know how, dissipates the smoke from the fire he has constantly burning. He really ticks me off, but he's "out" of firewood at the moment, and has a fear of the fire running out. Let's "prove" him wrong!"
  11. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    So he's a trickster. . . Eve wondered to herself. She was usually good at picking between the goodie two-shoes and the pick-a-pockets. When dealing with the Quest Bureau it's usually naturally one or the other.
    "Like with fruits or pine cones." she accidentally said aloud.
    Those bad pine cones. Always causing trouble. But Holle seemed to mean well. After all, they really could have scared a pet away instead of doing the right thing by giving the old madam her spools back. Were there any pets in the cave settlement? Eve resolved to stay aware in case anyone they met next had a pet roach or Rope.

John noticed the knock at the door. He shuffled over and slipped down the peep-hole cover.
    "Watch your steps on the way in y' wee rugrats. My pet Rope, Darleen. She's a bit feisty." he blabbered deliriously.
    "I knew it!" Eve remarked.
    The two adventurers exploded into the room. The fairy light magnified the surroundings between the candle glow. The suspenseful gloom of the darkness was a constant reminder that it really was dangerous to go alone. They forced their way into the back as Mr. Barrow began to worry.
    "What in the Sahasrahla do you bludgers need?!" the old man barked.
    "We're conducting an investigation, you old dunderhead. You see, we suspect that Darleen has been hiding your lumber. You've been trusting this horrible creature this whole time when she's been embezzling your only valuables right under your nose!" Eve began, trying to sound as official as possible. The little girl voice did not help.

Eve flew off the handle immediately. A glittering golden fire ignited in her eyes as she violently kicked the flour bags to the side of the room.
    "RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOOOOOOOOSE!"
    Flour exploded everywhere, covering every surface of the small room as if to antique it. Behind the bags lay the pile of stones, just as Holle mentioned. Eve let out a blood-curdling scream and dropped her hammer right onto Darleen, sending little demon-snake bits all over the room. The walls looked like a fancy pie.
    "THIS HORRIBLE MONSTER WILL PAAAAAAAAAAY!" she bellowed as she mashed little bits of Rope finely into the stone floor.

"You've saved me!" John Barrow delighted. "She's been eating all my food for the past five months."
    "That's not important. What's important is that your logs are safe and your home can be warm again." Eve patted his shoulder with pieces of Darleen sliding off her face.

The warm smile on John Barrow's face grew ten times larger that day. A sparkling Gratitude Crystal, while not very large, fell gently into Eve's hand from John's balding scalp.
    "Why, they should make you Town Hero, Holle. Figuring out the mystery like that. . . I'll be."
    With two crystals safe in her cowl, Eve led Holle out quickly. She knew what crazy was, but that man was something else. The next home awaited their influence as they hurried down the tunnel.
    "C'mon boy we need to go. . . skin Rachel for Dave or whatever we were doing next."
  12. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

"Hm... If we're going to see Rachel, then we should probably get Delia's stuffed animal, a bunny named Mr. Flops, from Dave's cave first. Now, he'd be fine with us doing that, but he's also in need of skins, so let me just..."
    Trailing off at the end of his sentence, Holle leapt to the corner of the bending tunnel where an unusual crevice slightly wider than Holle's arm had opened up a small, flat bottomed area full of various rodent rawhide. Sticking one arm in, and holding himself up with the other, Holle took the skins out one by one, placing them carefully in almost invisible pockets on the inside of his tunic. Hopping down, Holle then resumed his walk, and talk, with Eve.
    "I have caches like this all over the place, but this is the best one for skins before Dave's cave. See that tunnel there, just before the opening to the one that I said leads to his cave? That tunnel is full of useless dead ends with no large spaces to use. Of course, for storing things, you don't necessarily need large spaces, just the right . . . Darn.
    Holle sighed, resigned to his fate as a teenage girl, walking out of one of the tunnels, saw Holle and began running towards him, shouting.
    "Holle you little sneak! How could you do that?! First my little sister's bunny, then you go and ruin that lovely evening I managed to have with Eric! And then, you try and... grab Leslie's... chest area! You'd better hope that your speed holds out, 'cause if I catch you, you'll wish that you hadn't been born!"
  13. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    The situation was looking frightful. If the entire settlement found out Holle was pulling the wool over their eyes with sleights of hand, he would never be named a Local Hero. I can't let that happen! Eve thought quickly, brewing up a counter-plan.

As Holle turned to run, Eve crept by. She turned to face the teenaged girl! While not very large, all Eve had to do to stop her was hold out her arm as the larger girl went to sprint.
    "Oof!"
    Stopped in her tracks, Eve began to glare into her eyes.
    "Idiot kid, stop that! What are you doing in my way!"
    The fury of the Old Gods converged into her eyes. Lights from beyond the mortal plane flashed in Eve's gaze. This was her ability! The previously furious teenager became paralyzed with fear! Her will was weak, it was the will of a complacent Hylian. The light itself arraigned her eyes, the eyes of a girl who was rarely exposed to bright lights.
    "Don't you speak a word against Holle. . . ever again!"
    With a strike from the long handle of her hammer, she had the girl knocked out.
    "Don't worry I have a plan." Eve assured Holle, dragging the limp Hylian down the corridor.
    She slid the person down the tunnel to get face-to-face with Holle. He needed to know her plan immediately.
    "Listen up, I know how to fix this. But I need your help. We need either one of those stuffed animals or a costume from one of the residents. We're going to dress this girl up as a monster. These delusional refugees won't know the difference. When you point out the monster to the villagers and the guards, they'll tear her apart and you'll be a Local Hero for sure!"
  14. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Holle's jaw dropped. He'd always wondered what it felt like to be shocked enough to cause such a reaction, and now he knew.
    "Are you NUTS?!"
    Holle spoke, not loudly, but incredibly aggressively.
    "I'm WELL KNOWN as the local trickster! We're just incredibly lucky that 'Beth is incredibly trusting, and John is practically the village idiot! The point here is to make the people thankful, yes? Be the person that's making me 'clean up my act'! They wouldn't believe me otherwise!"
    Holle stared at the unconcious girl, sighing exasperatedly.
    "That, and Rachel there most likely just wanted an explanation and/or to kick me in the... shins. Yes, let's say shins. She's actually a good friend of mine, and I think that this massive over-reaction of yours is... Alarming, to say the least."
    Holle stared closely into Eve's eyes, examining the golden sclera and violet irises.
    "Are you sure you're not, like, possessed by an ancient demon or god or something? Because that was, well, evil."
    Holle looked once again at the fallen Rachel, the corner of his mouth twisting into a slight frown.
    "Honestly, it'd probably work out fine if we woke her up now."
  15. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Words like "nuts" and "evil" fluttered over Eve's head. Did he even read the summons? Honestly. The girl thought to herself. But he had a very good point. If they killed a person, this would all come back to haunt them really quickly. Eve needed Holle, or the way deeper into the caves would never be found.
    "You're right, I got carried away! If we bring her to the doctor she won't have time to go around giving people the wrong ideas. But maybe it's about time I told you why I'm here."

Eve was a scoundrel, a fiend, and a psychotic killer. But she still wouldn't lie to people, that would be dishonest and cowardly. It was time to tell him her story.
    "It started a long time ago! Wooo~ooo~!" Eve began to wave her hands as if to create atmosphere. "I was once captured by a group of bandits and forced to defend their territory. . . or something. Actually that may have happened twice. Anyway the point is, some things happened. I think one of my houses burned down once? I can barely remember anything that happened to me or even my motives." She kept babbling sarcastically about some dark past as she dragged the unconscious teen down the tunnel.
    "What I'm trying to say is. . . I'm not a very good person. But what we have here is special. I'm gonna clear your name, you get the town treasure. . . hold on I have the rest written down somewhere."
    She reached into her dress and pulled out a long parchment. Bringing her fairy to light the paper, she showed what was written to Holle.

"It's a bit hammy, I know. It's hammier than a Windfall pig. But if those monsters awaken before we can fight them, it'll cause a national catastrophe! Probably." Eve twiddled her finger while her other arm still pulled the person. "Even shadow magic won't stand up to them, because they're already monsters from the other realm. I know there's like, at least twenty shadow-based adventures who would try to fight them. I go to the Quest Bureau and just watch people walk by sometimes it's fun you should try it with me one day. But these enemies are clever. They will use any biological or intellectual method they can in order for them leave the deeper caves and wipe out all of these very poor and downtrodden people! According to the notes I found about them, they are due to awaken any day now. They'll use the Lights of the Great Old Ones and exploit them to undermine society as we know it."
    Eve took a gasp after explaining nearly everything very poorly. She was still sliding the girl deeper into the settlement, sure that it was the right direction. Eve almost bumped into the stone walls several times, more often striking herself or losing her balance. Knowing that Rachel was a sore subject already, she made sure to keep her from danger.

"Now let's bring this friend of yours to the beds, we have a lot to plan. Are you still with me?" The girl offered, holding out her free hand.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  16. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

"Of course I'm with you. I've already messed up two of my favourite tricks, why not go the whole hog?"
    Holle looked up as he said this, then looked back down, an overly serious look on his face.
    "A few rules before we go into this, however. Rule 1: No killing people unless they're actively trying to kill us or people that we don't want dead. Rule 2: No harming people, including torture, both psychological and physical, unless they really deserve it. Rule 3: Listen to me, because I know these caves and WILL save your life, especially when you wake up trouble you don't mean to. And Rule Four..."
    Holle looked away for a moment, then, grinning, slapped Eve lightly on the back of the head.
    "No messing up, complaining about, or forestalling my tricks! They're very important to me, and have saved my live on a few occasions. Also, you're being so incredibly inefficient."
    Holle frowned slightly, then clicked his fingers, a small flame the size and intensity of a candle appearing above his index finger.
    "Now your lovely fairy companion can scout ahead for us. More importantly, however, you haven't really paid attention to me, unlike the currently awake, but for some reason, silent, Rachel you're dragging behind you."
    The girl flicked her eyes open and attempted to run, but was quickly stopped by both Holle's quick movement in front of her and the kokiri's surprisingly strong grip on her clothes.
    Seeing the stern look on Holle's face, and feeling very much frightened of the dreadful situation she found herself in, she whimpered.
    "I... I just wanted to get back at you for all the thing's you've done! I didn't... I don't...
    Holle's frown softened into a light smile, then rubbed Rachel's head.
    "Look, Rachel? This kokiri here is...
    Holle turned to Eve, glaring while Rachel couldn't see his face to indicate that she should go along with it.
    "...A good friend of mine that's trying to get me to clean up my act. And, well, it's working. Now, she's making me go around to the people I've hurt in an attempt to help me have a better, well, image in the Caves. This, by the way, includes me bringing back Mr. Flops. On the subject of Eric, though, that I'm not sorry for. You know he's currently with Emily? And was, for his first two weeks with her, also with Laura? I just wanted to make sure you didn't do anything too drastic with that creep. If you still want to date him, though, that's your decision and I promise not to interfere. Also, Leslie? She was about to fall into a fissure when I put my arms around her and accidentally... grabbed..."
    Holle began to blush at this point.
    "Well, you know. But it's just lucky that she ran the right direction. Anyway, now that this is all cleared up, meet Eve, my Jerkaholics Anonymous sponsor, who really wants to make sure I get a fresh start."
    Rachel stood up straight, blushing a little, and smiled warmly at the kokiri.
    "I'm glad that Holle's managed to find something a little more constructive with his time, especially when it involves obviously lovely people like yourself. No more hammer whacks?"
    Rachel extended her hand to Eve as a bright light appeared above Rachel's head, dropping a gratitude crystal into Holle's quick grasp. Raising an eyebrow at Eve, Holle shrugged, then motioned with his head towards Rachel.
  17. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "F-fine. No more hammer whacks!" Eve responded childishly.
    "I might've been a tidbit inefficient. But the part with the logs and the Rope? I killed two birds with one stone back there."

Eve shook hands with Rachel. The warm smile she gave was unlike anything she had seen in decades. Eve did what Holle had asked, and gently extended her arm to release Alice forward. Eve wondered if there was maybe more to this "gratitude" thing than she had ever before noticed. A warm thought occurred to her, and then abruptly disappeared amongst a wave of shrill screams and poison. Everything she had done up until now was for this very moment, to find the answers behind the mysteries and to solve the puzzles without the use of a large hammer. She may have left it back in the tunnels, actually. Time was running thin, they needed to make a plan.
    "I'm glad you grabbed Leslie like that, I would have done the same thing." she pointed out briefly before returning to the topic at hand. "We really don't have much time though. We need to map out the cave so we can find the entrance to the place I'm looking for. After that we need to have a plan for those monsters. That thing you do with the fire? We're probably going to need that. Let's patch up Rachel and have some tea over the map, I brought plenty of cheap parchments rolled up in my belt. I like a Dark Earl with a little sugar, but no cream or milk. If my tea isn't right I'll twist a rag over it."

Eve was obviously the worst at making plans. But with her in charge of the situation, there wasn't much else to go on. Besides, the men in the pillar could wake up any moment now. With them defeated, the entire settlement would have to thank Holle and give him the pouch. The most valuable thing they have at the moment. . . is a pouch. Eve contemplated the strong foes ahead, and what it would really mean to defeat them.
  18. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Holle laughed loudly and uncontrollably.
    "A map? On parchment? Are you joking?"
    Holle sobered up at the look on Eve's face.
    "Oh, right, never been to the caves before. Look, Eve, the caves here go up and down as well. There are times when three, straight tunnels are lined up vertically in the same cave. I'd be hard-pressed to make a map of the residential area, given the twists and turns and unnoticeable slopes, but of all the deeper entrances and where they lead? Impossible."
    Holle ran his hand through his hair distractedly, his brain whizzing as it tried to come up with a solution to the evident problem.
    "I guess.... If we're just looking for a quick sketch... I can do it like this..."
    Holle, his eyes lighting up as his idea visibly took hold, held his hand out for a piece of parchment.
    "You see, if we don't care about accurately representing the information in terms of the caves themselves, but rather in terms of how the caves relate to one another and the features of each entrance and tunnel, then I can map it out in two dimensions. That is, of course, assuming that we deal with one section of the caves at a time, and ignore the residential sections..."
    Rachel looked up and gasped.
    "Holle! Are you really willing to let a STRANGER know all about our caves?"
    Holle turned to her, tersely replying.
    "Yes, because I'm burning the map, or maps, when we're done."
    Holle turned to Eve, an eyebrow cocked and loaded.
    "You'd better be fine with that, because any variation from that would imply that you'd be using this map for nefarious purposes."
    Turning back to Rachel, Holle pointed at one of the caves.
    "Could you really help us out and get some rope from Halyard? Tell him it's for Holle, and it's our 'usual deal'. That should cover everything."
    Rachel nodded quickly, then scurried off.
  19. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Well. Not everything is nailed down, Holle. You made a right and good example of that just by bringing me here. Don't fret over it though, you haven't even touched your tea. Drink up now we're going to be down there for a while."
    Eve began to sweat. Usually her outings were a load less conversation-heavy. She felt like she had not needed to speak in months. Had it been a more stressful day, she would have responded to the two implying she could be a burglar by laughing awkwardly. Her line of work was more head-to-head combat based, spoils were never taken silently or from under the noses of sleeping individuals. But with her age she knew the man before her would not take kindly to his sneaky hobbies being descended upon. Besides, he said he was over it and they had even made an effort to un-sneak the sneakings.
    "Rachel, my dear. We have made an effort today to un-sneak the sneakings. The map is not to be taken lightly, and if you want I can burn it myself. Un-sneak. . . sneakings. . . I think my grammar is off today."
    With Rachel satisfied (or at least distracted,) they brought their focus back to the plans. This sort of map was exactly what was in mind when Eve had brought the papers. If she could skip the settlement and get straight to an accurate summation of the depths, then it would be simple. After all, what they were looking for were any possible hidden passages deep in the structure. Broadly speaking, what they were looking for could even be a large and gorgeous entrance too difficult for Hylians to open. All she needed was the full map to eliminate any doubt.

. . .

Hours passed, and they managed to narrow down several possible entrances. But the ultimate goal was yet to be completed.
    "It's going to be hard, Holle. These enemies don't have many weaknesses. They're massive giants with humanoid bodies. Their only known weakness is bright lights, oldest reports even say their flesh can heal wounds unless. . . unless we can conduct a light or fire of some sort into their wounds. They were defeated once, and we can defeat them again. I can counter their hypnotic gaze but I need to depend on you. If we fight them and lose, the whole colony is at stake."
    She paused, unsure of herself. The whole plan was pretty insane. But if it hadn't been for her soul-searching and paranormal research, not only would they not be doing this, but the monsters would probably have escaped. With Ganon blamed for the massacre, they would have gotten away with it completely. Settlements always took risk of invasion, and it was certainly always Ganon's fault.
    "We need to hurry. We'll just have to check every spot that is suspect. Do anything you need to do first, and we'll go."
  20. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Holle nodded, grinning a little as Rachel ran up, panting, holding the well-weaved rope.
    "I got the rope, but...
    Rachel stood still, hands on her knees, staring at Holle.
    "When he heard that the deal was 'the usual', he just nodded, grinned oddly and handed it to me. What exactly is this 'deal' of yours?"
    Holle bit the side of his cheek a little, drawing a circle around a set of three cave entrances on his rough map, then turned towards Rachel, an odd look on his face.
    "Look, I'm not entirely sure whether you really want to know the full details, but let's just say that he collects items that you usually can't find in the caves. That doesn't matter right now, though. I need you to head back to the residential caves and tell everyone that me and the kokiri girl are heading into the deep three, and that if we're not back, or don't send word by...."
    Holle looked over at Eve, then turned back to Rachel.
    "...About eight hours from now, give or take, start bringing up a rescue section. This is going to be pretty delicate stuff, so we can't afford more people in the offset than just us two."
    Holle moved a finger over towards her mouth, forestalling her next question as he looked back down at the map.
    "Yes, you would be helpful, but, well..."
    Holle blushed a little.
    "I don't want to... see... you... hurt...
    Shaking his head a little as Rachel, blushing furiously, backed away, Holle pointed at the three caves he'd circled.
    "Hey Eve? If we're looking at the most unusual, unexplained, and all other 'quest-like' caves, the Triplet is the best way to go. There's very little we, that is the refugees, have explored in that mini-system, but everybody else that's tried has disappeared, making the small number that has actually done so understandable. Now, this rope, while it doesn't look like much, and isn't actually magical in the slightest, can hold quite a bit of weight, so we should be alright."
    Holle hopped up, handed the map to Eve, and headed off at a quick pace down the twisting passages. Clambering over some of the more heavily rocky regions, Holle scrambled his way through a set of cave entrances, that, even with the map, would have been near-impossible to navigate without a local's knowledge.
    Finally, they came to a cave with three openings vertically arranged.
    "And this, my dear Eve, kokiri who I don't yet trust is not a spy, because tradition, is the Triplet. These three mini-cave systems have claimed more lives than any other section of the Western Caves. Best of all, these three openings have doors."
    Holle grinned, remembering the feeling of shock that he felt when he had first heard this fact.
    "For some reason we can't explain, we found three solid stone doors, at equal distances down along each section. Engraved and everything, absolutely identical, but, and this is fantastic, there is no way of opening them from this side that we know of. Each time we've tried to delve more deeply, things have gone wrong."
    Holle looked towards Eve, the biggest, and oddest, grin that could have possibly appeared on his face blatantly visible.
    "And we're going to conquer them."