Racial Origins & Perks Remix

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

In a certain other thread that was vastly derailed, it was suggested that the origins system be abolished or modified, and racial perks (yes, I'm calling them perks now, shut up) be made more robust.

I suggest that origins be kept as suggestions, with a notification that a character's origins can be different than the normal for its race so long as a reasonable explanation is given for the difference.

---

Instead of a character's initial PWC being based on origin, I suggest it simply vary by race, as within the lines of what current origins allow. This assumes Regular level of honor. (Coincidentally, Regular honor should really be renamed to prevent confusion with Regular members...)
    - Hylians begin with 2/1/1, 1/2/1, or 1/1/2.
    - Zora begin with either 2/1/1 or 1/2/1.
    - Deku begin with either 1/2/1 or 1/1/2.
    - Gorons begin with 2/1/1.
    - Gerudo begin with 2/1/1.
    - Rito begin with 1/1/2.
    - Kikwi begin with 1/2/1.
    - Mogma begin with 2/1/1.

- Kokiri begin with 1/1/2. (Are they actually Regular-exclusive, or is that no longer a thing?)
    - Koroks begin with 1/2/2. (That is, unless they're Reg instead of Vet, in which case they'd be 1/2/1 most likely.)

- Skull Kids begin with 1/2/2.
    - Subrosians begin with 2/2/1.
    - Tokay begin with 2/1/2.
    - Picori begin with 2/2/2.

---

Now, for racial perks. Each player would begin with three racial perk "slots." These could be filled with any racial perk available to the race, or any general racial perk which could be selected by any character of any race.

In addition to these "variable" perks, certain races have one additional "innate" perk which cannot be altered, but does not count against the three racial perk slots. (Furthermore, any honored character will always have innate perks for their race.) To prevent these "free" innate perks from being too overpowered, they are designed to be either very weak, or possess a drawback in addition to a boon. Innate perks are an automatic part of the race, and so are automatically gained upon transforming into a race, and automatically lost when transforming out of it.

"Distinct" perks are a type of variable perk. They can only be acquired (even after creation) by a character who is of the specified race. They will forever after be kept like normal treasures, but they cannot be used by a character if the character has changed to a race incompatible with the perk. (For example, a Zora takes amphibious as a perk. If the Zora transforms into a Tokay, she can still use Amphibious, as Tokay are compatible with that perk. If the Zora transforms into a Hylian, she still retains Amphibious, but cannot actually use it while a Hylian, as Hylians are incompatible with the perk.) For the most part, perks are only distinct if it wouldn't make any logical sense for a creature of another race to use them even with extensive training or a remarkable upbringing.

Below are listed each race's current and suggested new racial perks, and certain race-exclusive treasures, as they would appear in a system like this. Needless to say, more should be added before this is finalized. If you approve of a system like this, I would highly appreciate suggesting additional perks. New racial perks not based on current racial abilities are marked with an asterisk (*), and detailed in one of the spoiler boxes below.

Hylian Perks
    - Hero's Legacy*
    - Magic Proficiency
    - Message*
    - Sense
    - Spin Attack

Goron Perks
    - Innate: Stone Skin
    - Distinct: Goron Roll
    - Bomb Bag*
    - Goron Punch
    - Smith*

Zora Perks
    - Distinct: Amphibious
    - Distinct: Boomerang Fins
    - Aquatic Birth
    - Electric Aura
    - Fire
    (Amphibious isn't innate? It's a bit overpowered as a free ability, isn't it? Besides, even the current description reads, "using (this amphibious breathing apparatus) is not instinctive to the race.")

Deku Perks
    - Innate: Plant Composition
    - Innate: Water Hop
    - Distinct: Bubble Shot
    - Distinct: Deku Nut Production
    - Distinct: Korok Copter (Reg. Only)
    - Business (Reg. Only)
    - Deku Leaf
    - Deku Pirouette
    - Scent Seed Supply

Gerudo Perks
    - Desert Strike*
    - Gerudo Dragon
    - Wall Kick
    - Warrior's Training

Rito Perks
    - Distinct: Winged Flight (requires 2 slots) (distinct)
    - Distinct: Shuttle Loop (requires Winged Flight)
    - Gale Aura
    - Valiance

Kikwi Perks
    - Innate: Conceal
    - Distinct: Camouflage
    - Compaction Bud
    - Illusionist

Mogma Perks
    - Innate: Claws
    - Distinct: Beastly Burrow
    - Nightvision*
    - Nose for Treasure

Kokiri Perks
    - Innate: Eternal Youth
    - Fairy Companion
    - Language of Fauna
    - Navigation*

Korok Perks
    - Innate: Plant Composition
    - Distinct: Korok Copter
    - Deku Leaf
    - Language of Flora
    - Potioncraft

Skull Kid Perks
    - Innate: Eternal Youth
    - Innate: Undead
    - Leaf Puppet
    - Leaf Warp

Tokay Perks
    - Distinct: Amphibious
    - Seed Collector
    - Seed Expertise

Subrosian
    - Innate: Inferno Composition
    - Distinct: Inferno Birth
    - Fire*
    - Nightvision*
    - Ore Trade*
    - Smith*

Picori Perks
    - Innate: Huge Potential
    - Jabber Nut (without it, a Picori can't speak the Hylian language other races speak)
    - Lost & Found

General Perks
    - Bonus Treasure*
    - Dedication*
    - Exception*
    - Expertise*
    - Rupee Riches (lowered to 40r, instead of 50r)
    - Specialty*

Just as they can now, characters who didn't begin with a specific racial perk can later learn it as they could any other treasure. Racial perks could be added later on as well, with current members of the race similarly able to earn them instead of never being able to obtain them.

Hylian Perk - Message (open)
    Although it is an innate ability all Hylians possess, rather few modern Hylians actually train and learn to properly use their ability to pass telepathic messages. When a Hylian with this perk can see another creature, he can attempt to send telepathic messages to that creature silently. Due to the increased time it takes to speak with one's mind than one's lips, generally only about two sentences can be sent per minute. The creature receives the entire message at once, though there's a brief delay of a few seconds between sending the message and receiving it. The receiving creature can always determine almost exactly from where the message came from, as if they had heard it aloud with perfectly quiet surroundings, but carry no intrinsic knowledge of who sent the message.

Additionally, a Hylian can imbue one such message in any object. Whoever first touches the object will "trigger" the message and have it relayed to them as though the Hylian sent it, though the object will seem to be the speaker. The Hylian will know when the message was triggered, but has no extraordinary sense of detecting who triggered it or how they did so. A Hylian can only have one of these "prepared" messages in place at a time.

(I was thinking another treasure could be taken to enhance this perk to send messages across seemingly infinite time and space, like Sahasrahla does in A Link to the Past.)

Goron Perk - Bomb Bag (open)
    Gorons can begin play with the Bomb Bag treasure for free.

Goron/Subrosian Perk - Smith (open)
    Gorons and Subrosians have a history of forging outstanding works of weapons and metal, from bombs to longswords to shields to bells, and many seem to have a natural knack for it. When the user becomes Lv1 in a profession which focuses on weapons, explosives, or metal, the user is treated as being able to craft as if he was two levels higher. For example, a Lv2 bladesmith could craft blades as if he was a Lv4 bladesmith. This only affects the user's first profession gained after taking this perk (or, if the user already has professions, he chooses one for this perk to apply to).

Note that this perk does not affect other aspects of the profession, such as additional rupees gained. If the user is Lv9 or Lv10 in an affected crafting profession, he does not gain ability to craft items any better than he did at Lv8, but does earn more rupees than before.

(Again, props to Will.)

Deku Scrub Perk - (Modified) Business (open)
    Being raised from a young age as part of the Business Scrub Association, the user is capable of heightening their profession's profit above normal. If the Deku Scrub would gain rupees at the end of a quest from his profession, he automatically gains more rupees.
    - With a Lv1 profession, the Deku Scrub earns +5 rupees above normal.
    - With a Lv5 profession, the Deku Scrub instead earns +10 rupees above normal.
    - With a Lv10 profession, the Deku Scrub now earns +15 rupees above normal.
    This effect even applies to professions which do not normally earn rupees. This effect is not heightened or increased by other effects which increase profession rupees (such as the Professional major treasure), unless otherwise noted. It can, however, be applied to several professions simultaneously, if the deku scrub is capable of earning rupees from several professions simultaneously.

Hylian Perk - Hero's Legacy (open)
    I totally did not steal this from UnnamedDude. Totally. :sarcasm:

Trained to use legendary and bizarre weapon maneuvers, certain Hylians have a natural proficiency for WeaponBase treasures. They gain +1P to the rupee costs of any treasure which has WeaponBase as a field, but only if Power is not their highest (or tied with their highest) PWC attribute.

(No, really, much gratitude to Unnamed Dude.)

Gerudo Perk - Desert Strike (open)
    (This actually has no place in canon, but some of you may find it familiar...)

The origin of this ability is mysterious and unknown, and although it's said to be in the blood of Gerudo, it nonetheless requires extensive training to use effectively. Whenever a Gerudo can land a melee strike to an opponent's neck, either with their barehands or a weapon, that creature immediately becomes paralyzed for several seconds, dropping to the ground as their body seems to go completely limp.

(...Woohoo for nonsensical Hylian Shield racial abilities.)

Kikwi Perk - Compaction Bud (open)
    On the backs of Kikwi is a particularly large, bulbous bud. Normally, this bud is used to open up and provide camoflauge. Some Kikwi, however, have learned to enable it to magically compact an item and store it inside. Any one item a Kikwi inserts into his bud for this purpose is reduced to less than 10% of its original mass and in most cases can be effectively hidden inside the bud even when the bud opens to form a bush. Only one item can be shrunk in this way at any time, though numerous items can be stored without being shrunk.

The Kikwi is capable of swiftly pulling out the item (much like a sword sheathed on a Hylian's back). As soon as the item is removed, it immediately returns to its original size.

Kokiri Perk - Navigation (open)
    Many Kokiri seem to have an intrinsic sense of where they're going, even when all logic dictates otherwise, and often while faces with illusions and mazes. A Kokiri with this perk will never truly become lost, and as an innate understanding of their surroundings--as if they have a perfect mental map of everywhere they've been earlier in the day, and an approximate mental map of their surroundings (even if they can't see their surroundings due to visible barriers or even illusions). They can always discern north.

As a side effect, Kokiri always see through illusions which attempt to place walls or physical boundaries that aren't actually present.

Mogma/Subrosian Perk - Nightvision (open)
    Many Mogma and Subrosians live their entire lives underground, and a Mogma's beady eyes and a Subrosian's pupil-free white eyes seem to suggest weak sight or even complete blindness. However, the truth is that some of these creatures have developed eyes that can see quite efficiently in the dark. This does, however, render the creature painfully sensitive to bright flashes--such as those produced by Deku Nuts--until a treasure like a Cross or a Lens of Truth negates this weakness.

(Props to UnnamedDude and Blondie.)

Subrosian Perk - Fire (open)
    ...It seems logical that Subrosians can begin play with the Fire spell just like Zora can.

Subrosian Perk - Ore Trade (open)
    Subrosians come from a land where ore chunks are used in currency in place of rupees. Naturally, if they value money, their senses are particularly sharpened for finding ore. Once per quest or dungeon, a Subrosian can either acquire additional plain rupees, or additional quest rupees for metal-or-stone-based treasures.

If rupees are chosen, the Subroisian must role-play finding the rupees, and gains an additional 5 rupees at the end of his quest. These rupees cannot be used towards the reward of the quest the Subrosian is currently in.

If a material is chosen, the Subrosian gains an additional 10 rupees to spend on any magic-tier item made mostly of stone or metal (such as Goron Iron, or Iron Boots). This item must be found within the affected quest. The rupees can be spent solely on the treasure, or combined with the Subrosian's quest rupees to pay for the treasure.

(Much gratitude to WillowtheWhisp)

General Perk - Dedication (open)
    By expending 3 racial perk slots, a character can take any 1 racial perk from a race that is not their own. The perk chosen cannot be an innate perk nor a distinct perk.

If a Hylian takes this perk, it only requires 2 racial perk slots.

If a non-Hylian takes this perk, they may, if they so choose, gain in addition the Exception perk. Gaining Exception in this way consumes no racial perk slots.

General Perk - Specialty (open)
    The user gains the Specialty treasure, and chooses a treasure field for it as normal. When the user chooses his starting treasures, he may opt for any of them to instead not receive the otherwise automatic effects of Specialty.

General Perk - Bonus Treasure (open)
    The user begins play with any one treasure which has a 2/2/2 cost of 30 rupees or less. Major Treasures, and any treasures with prerequisites other than race, cannot be selected for this perk. For this perk, the user can gain multiple instances of treasures of the [Single-Use] perk, so long as the total 2/2/2 cost of them does not exceed 30 rupees.

General Perk - Exception (open)
    The user takes a -1 penalty to any PWC score they have which is at least 2 from the start, and gain a +1 bonus to any other PWC score of their choice. Effectively this enables a character to defy its race's starting PWC.

General Perk - Expertise (open)
    Trained from a young age in a specific trade, the user automatically gains the first level of any one profession. That is to say, upon gaining this treasure, a creature gains Lv1 in any profession without having to earn that 50 rupee treasure normally. In the affected profession, the user can gain multiple levels of that profession in the same quest, so long as they have enough rupees (either currency rupees, profession rupees, or quest rupees) to pay for it. (Normally, only one profession level can be gained per quest.)

---

If this system was implemented, I would suggest we ally everyone a single chance to "retcon" any current character they have to change them to do things in the new system they couldn't do before.

...Thoughts? Suggestions (for additional racial perks)?
  2. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I do like this idea, Guy. Actually I liked it back when it was first suggested this way- it allows for so much more freedom and uniqueness, and like I said, at least one of my characters would have been better off if she had been able to replace a certain racial with another. Hence, I like how you're offering the option to 're-do' the racials.

I do not have any suggestions for racial perks at this moment in time- I'll get back to you if I come up with anything.
  3. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I like this a lot Guy. I had the same idea of just making the PWC's based off race instead of origin, I think it works better that way.

I do have a question though, for the new perk "exception", does that allow someone to effectively have a 0 in one stat? Or is the lowest allowed 1? Just a thought.

I do very much like the "choose what perks you want" method, I think it will work out much better.
  4. Chi

Chi Pre-everything insanity girl reg

I really love this idea. It can make characters much more sensible in some cases, one of the easier examples being a Castle Town Hylian who may be inept at magic, and wouldn't be proficient in magic. It also helps alleviate some of my unhappiness with the new Honor system making choosing a Castle Town hylian feeling like a horrible decision if you want to make one for it, simply because it meant that your Hylian was severely diminished in comparison to every other species, since the only racial perks it could have involved adding rupees.

I understand some inclinations to keep business specific to deku scrubs, but there are other races that have tendencies towards professions, such as gorons and smithing, and I think it could be given to other races, with a restriction on the profession based on race, or just making it a general perk.

I believe that should be an illegal use of the ability, and not allowed.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

The denizens of the cbox pointed I forgot Subrosian Perks, so I added those. Even so, they're in desperate need of more, as by current rules they actually only have two racial abilities...

Anyway, I'm glad everyone so far approves. :tpr:

It is impossible by any means for any player's character to have 0 in any score. Any effect which attempts to reduce a score to 0 will fail, or affect a different score. That's kind of just how it works. Sort of like how Picori can't become larger by any treasure effect.

Seems legit. I could see it as a general perk, but perhaps exclusive to Regulars, and only usable on crafting professions for non-deku?
  6. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I approve wholeheartedly as this seems to enhance creative options.

I have no idea about balance but I will go ahead and throw out the idea for Hero's Legacy racial for Hylians, for which they gain +1 PWC for WeaponBase treasures, but only in their lowest stat.

...That would be hideously stilted towards Power though. :tpr:

I'll post if I come up with anything else.
  7. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

If anyone has any suggestions for other Racial Perks, as Guy asked for, it would be nice to find some more for the races that only have three or so. I think it would be great to have options for each race. I'll start thinking of some as well.
  8. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I approve of this idea. I will think of more racials and post them when I do.
  9. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    (In response to Business, I would just like to mention that business scrubs in-and-of themselves have a natural tendency for business and as such, I don't quite see the reasoning in Business becoming a general ability -- while other races may also have things they are naturally good at, business scrubs in particular are also backed by the association. In response to the whole "Gorons being blacksmiths" thing, while there is some evidence pointing to it, such as the mines in TP, we never see a goron work a forge or hear about any great goron smiths. While they may be alright at metalworking in general, they seem more suited in-game for things like construction, or general heavy lifting, due to their build. Even in games where they had the chance to make a goron smith (MM), they instead opted to have a hylian and a guy of some unidentified race as smiths, so no, I don't really think it should be a general ability.)
  10. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Actually, you do see one use a forge in OoT if I'm not mistaken. The biggoron in the mountain does. Also, in every area there are shops, those are businesses are they not? In zora's domain there's one, in goron city there is one, in kokiri village there is one, hyrule castle town there's one, etc.... There is a lot of evidence that points to businesses not being exclusive to Deku. Just my thoughts on the matter.
  11. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Personally, I don't think we should. Even if business scrubs aren't a specific thing anymore, it makes them feel less unique, even if one "Business" racial doesn't add much. Either way, it doesn't matter much to me if we do or not, I just feel it would make business scrubs a little less unique, kind of.
  12. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I also thought of the Happy Mask Salesman... thats a business too. To say that "only this race can have the "business" racial" seems kinda silly to me.
  13. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

But doesn't it seem silly only Hylians have "Magic Proficiency"? Obviously it would be broken if every race could choose it, though. That's another thing, too. With Business as it is, it seems a little broken for every race to be able to start with it. I would say I wouldn't mind if any race could QUEST for it, but only Business Scrubs could start with it. However, Business isn't as useful then, unless you would get the free profession level upon obtaining Business.
  14. Chi

Chi Pre-everything insanity girl reg

A suggestion I thought up for this business, is that maybe, Business Scrubs have an easier time of, therefore it's one slot for them, while as a general it could be worth 2 slots?
  15. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    While that may be true, it doesn't necessarily point to them as having an explicit nature for business. And while there are businesses in every community, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are skilled at running it, or that they have a knack for learning about professions, which what business, in its current state, allows. Of course, your point about there being businesses in every town or settlement is irrefutable; of course there's going to be a shop or trading post in a somewhat lively scenario, such as villages or towns. There's also the fact that every one of those places has some kind of special commodity for sale, such as Zora tunics, Goron tunics, or even Deku shields. This is a natural affect of having a community, but it in no way advertises that the average, every day people (save for biggoron, who I forgot about), have any reason to be a master of businesses or professions.

(It also helps that a lot of the flavor text and general description of it heavily emphasizes the business scrub association anyways, not to mention it would actually be pretty broken as a general racial anyways.)
  16. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Well, really a business deku is really just a deku that loves business isn't it? You can't say that all the other races can't be skilled at it just as a deku can. There could be "business hylians" just as much as there could be business deku, its just what that chosen person has decided to do with their life.
  17. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...This discussion has got me thinking, Business in regards to how Business Scrubs operate is done completely wrong. A profession level represents skill in the craft, with earning extra rupees is more of an aside.

A Business Scrub is not particularly great at his craft--of making or finding Deku Sticks, shields, and other items. No, a Business Scrub shines when it comes to turning a massive profit. He effectively sells junk, and actually attacks his customers half the time, but when you're in the middle of a dungeon, buying a ridiculously expensive shield after yours was just eaten, deku nuts when you're low on supplies, or an overpriced potion when you're low on hearts suddenly seems like a fabulous idea. Even the more civilized Business Scrubs are more about profit than practicality--they practically swindle Link out of hundreds of rupees for. ONE. FLOWER. Several times, even.

In that sense, getting free profession levels isn't really their schtick, even though that's how I originally wrote up Business. Leave that to the Gorons and the Hylians. It seems more like Business Scrubs should get a bonus to the amount of rupees they earn through profession levels...

...I would think an additional +5 rupees at Lv1, +10r at Lv5, and +15r at Lv10 would suffice, perhaps? These would normally function just as any other profession rupees (being convertible into either profession points or currency rupees), but wouldn't be multiplied by effects like the Professional major treasure.
  18. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I have an idea. What if "Business Scrub" was a profession? Basically, it would be a profession that would specialize in selling overpriced items(Which may or may not be junk), or basically just swindling the buyer out of extra money. Basically what Guy said above, and how they operate in the games. Although I'm not sure how it would actually work, so that's a problem. I just thought I'd post it up and see if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Alternatively, I like Guy's idea a lot too, so it doesn't matter to me.
  19. SenpaiPancake

SenpaiPancake Shhh! I'm charging my laser... reg

I like both Guy and Eev's idea. Either would work for me. :V
  20. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Uh. Excluding Link's transformations in Majora's Mask, it is implied throughout the series that Hylians have a talent for magic more so than the other currently-playable races (with the possible exception of Zora). Likewise, only Gerudo receive actual warrior's training for the majority of their race.

...If you gotta pick on someone, pick on Rito and Valiance. :haa: 'Cause that has no real justifiable explanation other than, "Rito seem like they would have particularly high Courage."

---

One thing I forgot to consider in the first post was the subject of racial transformations. It's possible with transformation masks, other means no one seems to have discovered yet, and will be even more possible once someone starts twisting dreams around. As such, I've added distinct to several perks throughout the first post.

Distinct perks can only be acquired (even after creation) by a character who is of the specified race. They will forever after be kept like normal treasures, but they cannot be used by a character if the character has changed to a race incompatible with the perk. (For example, a Zora takes amphibious as a perk. If the Zora transforms into a Tokay, she can still use Amphibious, as Tokay are compatible with that perk. If the Zora transforms into a Hylian, she still retains Amphibious, but cannot actually use it while a Hylian, as Hylians are incompatible with the perk.) For the most part, perks are only distinct if it wouldn't make any logical sense for a creature of another race to use them even with extensive training or a remarkable upbringing.

Innate perks are an automatic part of the race, and so are automatically gained upon transforming into a race, and automatically lost when transforming out of it.

---

Anyway, here's my hand at modifying Business, and adding a few additional racial perk options to boot.

General Perk - Expertise (open)
    Trained from a young age in a specific trade, the user automatically gains the first level of any one profession. That is to say, upon gaining this treasure, a creature gains Lv1 in any profession without having to earn that 50 rupee treasure normally. In the affected profession, the user can gain multiple levels of that profession in the same quest, so long as they have enough rupees (either currency rupees, profession rupees, or quest rupees) to pay for it. (Normally, only one profession level can be gained per quest.)

General Perk - Dedication (open)
    By expending 3 racial perk slots, a character can take any 1 racial perk from a race that is not their own. The perk chosen cannot be an innate perk nor a distinct perk.

If a Hylian takes this perk, it only requires 2 racial perk slots.

If a non-Hylian takes this perk, they may, if they so choose, gain in addition the Exception perk. Gaining Exception in this way consumes no racial perk slots.

General Perk - Specialty (open)
    The user gains the Specialty treasure, and chooses a treasure field for it as normal. When the user chooses his starting treasures, he may opt for any of them to instead not receive the otherwise automatic effects of Specialty.

General Perk - Bonus Treasure (open)
    The user begins play with any one treasure which has a 2/2/2 cost of 30 rupees or less. Major Treasures, and any treasures with prerequisites other than race, cannot be selected for this perk. For this perk, the user can gain multiple instances of treasures of the [Single-Use] perk, so long as the total 2/2/2 cost of them does not exceed 30 rupees.

Deku Scrub Perk - Business (open)
    Being raised from a young age as part of the Business Scrub Association, the user is capable of heightening their profession's profit above normal. If the Deku Scrub would gain rupees at the end of a quest from his profession, he automatically gains more rupees.
    - With a Lv1 profession, the Deku Scrub earns +5 rupees above normal.
    - With a Lv5 profession, the Deku Scrub instead earns +10 rupees above normal.
    - With a Lv10 profession, the Deku Scrub now earns +15 rupees above normal.
    This effect even applies to professions which do not normally earn rupees. This effect is not heightened or increased by other effects which increase profession rupees (such as the Professional major treasure), unless otherwise noted. It can, however, be applied to several professions simultaneously, if the deku scrub is capable of earning rupees from several professions simultaneously.

Hylian Perk - Hero's Legacy (open)
    I totally did not steal this from UnnamedDude. Totally. :sarcasm:

Trained to use legendary and bizarre weapon maneuvers, certain Hylians have a natural proficiency for WeaponBase treasures. They gain +1P to the rupee costs of any treasure which has WeaponBase as a field, but only if Power is not their highest (or tied with their highest) PWC attribute.

(No, really, much gratitude to Unnamed Dude.)

Hylian Perk - Message (open)
    Although it is an innate ability all Hylians possess, rather few modern Hylians actually train and learn to properly use their ability to pass telepathic messages. When a Hylian with this perk can see another creature, he can attempt to send telepathic messages to that creature silently. Due to the increased time it takes to speak with one's mind than one's lips, generally only about two sentences can be sent per minute. The creature receives the entire message at once, though there's a brief delay of a few seconds between sending the message and receiving it. The receiving creature can always determine almost exactly from where the message came from, as if they had heard it aloud with perfectly quiet surroundings, but carry no intrinsic knowledge of who sent the message.

Additionally, a Hylian can imbue one such message in any object. Whoever first touches the object will "trigger" the message and have it relayed to them as though the Hylian sent it, though the object will seem to be the speaker. The Hylian will know when the message was triggered, but has no extraordinary sense of detecting who triggered it or how they did so. A Hylian can only have one of these "prepared" messages in place at a time.

(I was thinking another treasure could be taken to enhance this perk to send messages across seemingly infinite time and space, like Sahasrahla does in A Link to the Past.)

Gerudo Perk - Desert Strike (open)
    (This actually has no place in canon, but some of you may find it familiar...)

The origin of this ability is mysterious and unknown, and although it's said to be in the blood of Gerudo, it nonetheless requires extensive training to use effectively. Whenever a Gerudo can land a melee strike to an opponent's neck, either with their barehands or a weapon, that creature immediately becomes paralyzed for several seconds, dropping to the ground as their body seems to go completely limp.

(...Woohoo for nonsensical Hylian Shield racial abilities.)

Kikwi Perk - Compaction Bud (open)
    On the backs of Kikwi is a particularly large, bulbous bud. Normally, this bud is used to open up and provide camoflauge. Some Kikwi, however, have learned to enable it to magically compact an item and store it inside. Any one item a Kikwi inserts into his bud for this purpose is reduced to less than 10% of its original mass and in most cases can be effectively hidden inside the bud even when the bud opens to form a bush. Only one item can be shrunk in this way at any time, though numerous items can be stored without being shrunk.

The Kikwi is capable of swiftly pulling out the item (much like a sword sheathed on a Hylian's back). As soon as the item is removed, it immediately returns to its original size.

Kokiri Perk - Navigation (open)
    Many Kokiri seem to have an intrinsic sense of where they're going, even when all logic dictates otherwise, and often while faces with illusions and mazes. A Kokiri with this perk will never truly become lost, and as an innate understanding of their surroundings--as if they have a perfect mental map of everywhere they've been earlier in the day, and an approximate mental map of their surroundings (even if they can't see their surroundings due to visible barriers or even illusions). They can always discern north.

As a side effect, Kokiri always see through illusions which attempt to place walls or physical boundaries that aren't actually present.

Goron/Subrosian Perk - Smith (open)
    Gorons and Subrosians have a history of forging outstanding works of weapons and metal, from bombs to longswords to shields to bells, and many seem to have a natural knack for it. When the user becomes Lv1 in a profession which focuses on weapons, explosives, or metal, the user is treated as being able to craft as if he was two levels higher. For example, a Lv2 bladesmith could craft blades as if he was a Lv4 bladesmith. This only affects the user's first profession gained after taking this perk (or, if the user already has professions, he chooses one for this perk to apply to).

Note that this perk does not affect other aspects of the profession, such as additional rupees gained. If the user is Lv9 or Lv10 in an affected crafting profession, he does not gain ability to craft items any better than he did at Lv8, but does earn more rupees than before.

(Again, props to Will.)

Subrosian Perk - Fire (open)
    ...It seems logical that Subrosians can begin play with the Fire spell just like Zora can.

Subrosian Perk - Ore Trade (open)
    Subrosians come from a land where ore chunks are used in currency in place of rupees. Naturally, if they value money, their senses are particularly sharpened for finding ore. Once per quest or dungeon, a Subrosian can either acquire additional plain rupees, or additional rupees for a metal-based [Material] treasure.

If rupees are chosen, the Subroisian must role-play finding the rupees, and gains an additional 5 rupees at the end of his quest. These rupees cannot be used towards the reward of the quest the Subrosian is currently in.

If a material is chosen, the Subrosian gains an additional 10 rupees to spend on any magic-tier item made mostly of stone or metal (such as Goron Iron, or Iron Boots). This item must be found within the affected quest. The rupees can be spent solely on the treasure, or combined with the Subrosian's quest rupees to pay for the treasure.

(Much gratitude to WillowtheWhisp)

...So, uh, assuming those are all okay (tell me if they aren't), it still seems like Skull Kids and Mogma still desperately need more perks (having 2 perks apiece, excluding innate perks). Gorons, Kikwi, Kokiri, and Tokay could definitely some as well (each only having 3 perk options).