Racial Origins & Perks Remix

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

As per a request in the cbox, I added the above new perks' descriptions to the first post of the thread, and integrated them with the initial list of perks. I also added in Compaction Bug (Kikwi Perk) and Bomb Bag Goron Perk), both of which were made at UnnamedDude's suggestion.

I've also made it so the Picori perk, Huge Potential, is innate to them. This perk prevents Picori from ever permanently altering their size, and details their inability to automatically know the Hylian Language, but also grants them an additional Major Treasure slot as it always has. Part of the reason this was done was so a character of another race couldn't acquire Huge Potential with the general perk, Dedication.
  2. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Yay for insane ideas listening to music.

Song of the Forest aka Saria's Song:

For some reason or another all residents of the forest (Kokiri, Skull Kids, Koroks) find themselves familiar with this song, though mysteriously only those who truly feel at home at and understand the forest can completely memorize it and bring out its true power. When played, this song can calm troubled minds, and another forest resident, upon hearing this song, will be able recognize the user as a friend, or at least someone who understands them. It may also have other effects, depending on the surrounding foliage; for example, trees may bear or drop their fruit, thorns may retract, flowers may bloom, growth may occur, etc.

For other races this is treated as a Unique Treasure or Unique Major Treasure (really leaving that to the mods' discretion.)
  3. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Another few ideas that I throw to the mercy of everyone.

General Perk: Money-Maker(This is assuming that the Marketplace goes up)
    Through sufficient amount of charisma and/or enterprise, a character may earn up to five extra rupees, free of charge, from any sale in the marketplace, or buy items for up to five less rupees.

If rupees are subtracted in this manner, the cost may not become any lower than five rupees.

Mogma Perk: Thick Fur (Presumably Yetis would have a more potent version of this when they come out)
    All people of the mogma race have some fur or hair covering their bodies. However, some of these characters have exceptionally thick fur that is capable of insulating heat to a degree, rendering the character resistant to cold and cold-based attacks. However, this fur also makes the character less resistant to heat and fire based attacks, albeit not the same extent as that of a Deku.

Mogma Perk: Night Vision (Suggested by Blonde Panther)
    As mogmas have lived their lives underground their eyes have grown smaller and seemingly degenerated; however, the truth is that some mogmas have developed eyes that can detect forms quite efficiently in the dark. However, this does make them somewhat more sensitive to light and increases the effects of flashes like those of Deku Nuts, unless a Lens of Truth is procured.
  4. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Also, a question;

Racial perks can be gained after creation as normal treasures, right? Does that extend to General Perks? I realize that most of the current General Perks would have no purpose being earned retroactively, but we may gain more, and as an example, could a character obtain Dedication retroactively? Moreover, since that treasure takes more than one slot, how would treasures with multiple slots be handled if a character wanted to gain it after it was added? Would they simply be very very expensive, would they act as Unique or Major treasures? Would they be completely unattainable except at creation? Or would they be handled another way altogether?

(Also, wow, I appear to be crowding out this topic now. Thoughts, anyone? :sweat: )
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Now that you mention it, perhaps all of general perks available right now wouldn't really be acquirable after creation. I'd have to add that in when they end up in the Library.

That said, I don't think it would be a steadfast limit that ANY general perk could only be acquired at creation. That just seems silly. This is especially considering non-general perks like Magic Proficiency or Warrior's Training probably would have much use being acquired after creation either.

I could see this being a thing, perhaps, but I'd wait to give the final say until after the Marketplace comes up and functions for a while...

Seems legit. I already added it into the first post with a little editing, and took the liberty of making it an option for Subrosians as well.

Eh... Ehh... Being able to resist a specific kind of bodily threat "to a degree," especially with a drawback like this, seems vastly under-powered as a selectable racial perk. Something like this would probably function as an innate perk for Yeti, but not for Mogma.

As I said in the cbox when you first posted this, I'm unsure about it for several reasons. I'm still waiting for someone else to give a comment.

...Also, just to be clear, there's never going to be a racial perk that's so powerful it would otherwise have to be acquired as a major treasure (with the sole exception of Picori's Huge Potential).
  6. Idarian

Idarian Imperator of Known Space reg

Might I suggest adding Rupee Riches back to the list of Hylian Perks? Unless I've missed something, it seems fairly balanced, since you can't use those 50 Rupees to start with any extra treasures.

Personally, at least in the case of my character, it would be the most utilitarian third perk choice, since for my swordsman-type character, Hero's Legacy is somewhat useless because power is my highest stat, because I focus on weapon skills, but that means that choice would be a waste of a perk. Message might be useful, and so might Magic Proficiency, but I think Rupee Riches is still a good thing to have.
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Uh. Just to clarify something, you're aware that you could still have a Hylian character receive Rupee Riches as a general perk, right? The only difference now, aside from a slight decrease from 50 to 40, is that it's available to any race.

On an unrelated note: As it stands right now, perks will be made official shortly after adad finishes up the more dynamic Library of Treasures part of the site... which according to him, should happen in a week or two. The character creation thread will be updated as well at that time. In the meantime, I'll try to come up with some more perks... just so there's a bit of variety, since--as Idarian pointed out--the current allotment perks doesn't augment a terribly wide variety of character types for each race.
  8. Idarian

Idarian Imperator of Known Space reg

Ah, yes, I overlooked that. That's better.

I also noticed, however, that there is a perk for Specialty. Is that suggesting specialties will no longer be treasures, or will that present an option to get a specialty without a rupee cost, while the library will still have specialty for those who are willing to pay?
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I guess I must not have made it clear, but racial perks are treasures. If youaren't created with specific a racial perk, you can gain that same perk later on as you would a normal treasure, assuming you still meet the racial requirement.
  10. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

I've been thinking, and I think ill try adding a general perk:

Lucky (open)
    Lucky

Everything seems to work out for a lucky individual, if they're starving: there's food, if they're attacked: there always seems to be an escape, etc. even finding rupees and treasures much more often than they should. Of course, such a luxury also means that their abilities only developed to a small portion of their potential.

In effect this penalizes the character -1 to all PWC stats (as usual, this can't reduce a stat below one), but allows a character to find any number of common-tier items in RP so long as the item could be and survive was it was found (So no finding rope in lava or finding a longsword in territory that had never been discovered before) and allows them purchase treasures as if their PWC was two higher than it actually is (only one higher if the stat was 1 before the PWC penalty); Notably if this would allow the character to purchase a treasure at the non-existent level 6 of a stat, they may purchase it at half the 4/4/4 cost.

More just an idea at this point, tell me what you think

As an aside, I'm kinda confused on the "ore trade" perk, does the treasure need to have the [Material] field or not? The rules seem to say yes and no, and the examples don't, could you clarify this?
  11. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Uh. Lucky would be vastly overpowered even as a major treasure, let alone a racial perk. It effectively gives a +1 to every aspect of PWC for the main thing PWC affects: treasure costs, on top of a neat little ability which alone might be closer to being a valid perk candidate. This assumes, of course, if by purchase you mean "acquire via normal questing means."

Apologies for ore trade--I copy-pasted it from a different treasure--but, yes, it can be used to acquire treasures not of the [Material] field, so long as those treasures are made mostly of stone or metal.
  12. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Ninja Kikwis everywhere rejoiced as they read this. XD

For the object part- is there a limit as to how long the message can last in its container? Also, direct contact with the imbued object is necessary, right? So we could wrap it up in cloth or whatever and the message wouldn't be relayed until it was actually touched, like the cursed necklace in Harry Potter? For the parentheses, do you mean "I think this at 1500 and you hear it at 1300 the same day on the other side of the country?"

I'm also wondering why Amphibious isn't innate for Zora- like you said, it makes more sense that way. Would that make it innate for Tokay, too?

At this point, it looks like only the Tokay, Picori, Skull Kid, Kokiri, Mogma, and Kikwi don't have choices for their slots (if each character has three slots, then these races don't have to choose between their perks, excluding the General perks.) Among these, only Skull Kids and Picori don't have enough perks to fill up their slots. I mean, they could look at the General perks, but it's probably a good idea for us to come up with at least one more treasure for these two races.

The only canon ability that's left for the Picori, it seems, is their invisible-to-adults thing. We could make this a conscious decision on their part, whether they wish to be seen by the grown-ups or not.
    As for Skull Kid... well, we've pretty much exhausted the list of canon abilities. Maybe we could hit them with Language of Fauna or Flora? Since they are denizens of the Lost Woods, it could work. Maybe. Or we could go non-canon, like some kind of illusion-of-clones thing, like what the Poe Meg did to Link in the Forest Temple.

Thoughts?