I want your opinion!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

I can't speak for others, but personally? I'd rather see HH removed all together.
  2. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I'm with double here. The first reason is that as was previously said, it sort of implicitly states that if you're not HH, you're not writing a good/rounded/human character, though I realize I'm likely being more judgmental towards it than I probably should be.

The second reason is that it seems to me like the resulting character would have trouble being used for anything; you could really do anything you could with a HH character with anyone else, better, and they would get treasures easier due to PWC restrictions; that is, the main reason for HH that was cited, character development, is actually far slower. Maybe that's the point, but I honestly feel as though HH is fairly unnecessary for the sake of character development or exploration given that most people who were interested in it were doing that anyway, without the actual aid of a system devoted to it. I could be entirely wrong about that, though, since I've never really used HH.

In any event though I'll trust your judgment. I understand the desire to highlight someone who went out of their way to ensure that their character is realistically flawed, even if I don't agree with the mode of doing it.
    Double_r111 likes this.
  3. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'm gonna add my vote to the tally that UD and Double have started. Having HH in place, especially with the way it was advertised when it was first implemented, it seems to be a really big 'these characters are better-written and better-thought-out than yours.' Considering I feel bad enough about my writing as things are I really don't need that reinforcing it.

There's also the issue UD brought up. I HAVE in fact considered making an HH character just to prove that dammit, I CAN do that. However, I ended up deciding against it because I honestly can't think of ways I could use a character like that in RPs. The fact is that RPs like HC ARE based in combat and HC characters DO need treasures to be of use to a travelling company. And the argument that HH makes for better character development is the biggest load of censored material that I've heard. If you don't have it in you to do character development, you won't do it with HH either- whereas if you have character development planned or are willing and capable of doing it, you'll do it without HH as well.
    Double_r111 likes this.
  4. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    I admit that HH could have been implemented better, but it seems like you and UD are missing the point. It was stated several times in the past that this was not the intention of Hylian Honor, nor was that supposed to be implied in any way. I recall making it very clear that not participating in Hylian Honor, or even participating in it, was no indication of a roleplayer's skill. The only thing that I ever stated was that Hylian Honor could be a good guideline for people newer to roleplaying that would like to concentrate on character creation beyond that which is required.

I'm glad you didn't make a character for Hylian Honor, because making a character shouldn't be about proving something anyways. HC is primarily combat based; Hylian Honor was meant to make it clear that the option to be a completely mundane citizen of Hyrule was even available.

I realize you were, and apparently still are, frustrated with Hylian Honor, but please be more mindful with the wording of your posts. Being overly emotional with your post doesn't help to get your point across. In any case, no, Hylian Honor does not inherently help someone develop their character better. That is, of course, up to the roleplayers themselves. However, it does put less focus on combat, due to a lack of fighting capabilities, and hence it presents different kinds of opportunities for the roleplayer to develop their character, than what a normal character might experience.

The whole point was that it was supposed to remove the "tunnel vision" for treasures that it is so easy to fall into, and instead place far greater emphasis on the character itself, rather than the things they possess or the treasures they are trying to acquire in the future.

Having typed this out, and now realizing that some of the treasures in the Library are going to be reduced in cost, I've changed my vote for Hylian Honor. I think that it should be kept, in large part due to treasure price changes (with the Lowest, Lower, etc.), because now Hylian Honor characters will be able to more easily acquire treasures. While they will never be as powerful as a normal character, I don't think it would be nearly as much of an issue for an HH character to roleplay with a non-HH character as it was in the past.
  5. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

But Will, it doesn't matter that it's not the intention. Knowing something consciously doesn't fix the subconscious interpretation of it. That's the vibe given by it, and that's not easily changed. Couldn't simply allowing you to not use all of your PWC serve the exact same purpose and make HH redundant altogether anyways?
  6. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    It was supposed to be reworded, etc., which never actually got done. If it doesn't, then I'm all for removing it. As for the not using all your PWC, I already said that was fine too, earlier in the thread.

7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Welp, ninja'd by Double. I was going to clarify: Just because HH wasn't MEANT as elitism doesn't mean that people haven't INTERPRETED it as such. And people can still continue to do so, especially new people who weren't around to see the discussion that we held about this when HH was first implemented.
  8. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

As someone who was initially pretty against HH, and has had longwinded discussions about it and accusations of elitism with Ribs on more than one occasion, I'm not really sure whether I want to keep or remove HH. I still don't think it really adds anything, other than maybe making people think about a different type of character, but if someone wants to use the system, why remove it? However, I do think it should be reworded. Declarations of elitism aside, as far as I'm aware, the main objective of HH was to provide a different perspective for players. Rather than, say, a dungeoneering hero, they could play something like a simple farmer, a knight fresh off of training, or a bumbling mage who doesn't has difficulty casting the most basic spells. Now, elitism aside, this is my biggest problem with HH, and that's that this is all available already.

All three of these characters can be made in the current system. With the ability to not have full PWC or rupees at the start, it almost defeats the purpose of HH, other than the stricter grading criteria, which is kind of a silly reason to keep it. The only other thing HH brings to the table is, like I said above, it brings these things to the user's attention. If HH weren't here, a majority of the users probably wouldn't think to play these characters, even though they can be played perfectly fine, if somewhat difficultly in more civilian cases such as a farmer, as the number of other players similar in strength would be lower. This is for a very good reason though, and it's something BP said; The site itself favors "hero" characters. I mean, look at the LoT, 85% or so of the treasures are combat or dungeoneering treasures. They may have alternative uses, but their primary or intended use is for this. That, I feel, was the main objective with HH; To put a different outlook into the minds of the users.

As for the issue of elitism, I don't personally think the system itself heavily suggests elitism, regardless of what some word of mouth may suggest. I think it could be a problem with someone who has made a character graded with higher criteria who acts like his character is superior, but the system itself feels neutral. Though, maybe for everyone's preference, a rewording would be good if it stays. Honestly though, what I think would be the best solution is to remove HH, but in, say, a thread that describes how HC works or a general outline of the world or something(Or maybe in the character creation thread, I dunno I'm sure you can find a good place for it Guy), give a decently sized description of "HH" type characters. Something to let newcomers know that these types of characters are on the site too, but without having a system that is entirely possible with the current system. Someone can still have less PWC if they want, and the thing with making players value their treasure purchases more won't really be that big of a thing anyway with the new system. The prices are far closer now, so you won't have to save up like 100 rupees per buy for most every treasures now.

--

As for positions/races, at first I felt the positions suggestion was kind of underwhelming as it basically just made Vet a trophy title, but after reading the rest of the thread I like the idea for races. Vets get the bonus of getting them automatically, but they're not sealed off to the rest of the site, they can purchase them. I feel like Vet should have more towards the user's current characters, rather than giving them the ability to do more with new ones though. I agree with removing the major treasure gains though. I was going to say, you could do what you were planning on doing with the "Major Gain" treasure, and make purchasing Major slots cheaper for Vets, though that wouldn't really work if it costs 100 rupees default I guess. I don't really know it's late when I'm writing this, I'm tired okay.

. . .Although, purchasing OOC benefits with rupees feels kind of awkward, especially when you take into account that players can have multiple characters with different rupee allotments. Could they pool different rupee numbers together for this, or only use one character's rupee total for this?

This does help counteract something else I was gonna bring up, though. I think the new pricing is great for general treasures, but it doesn't really feel like there's much to work for. For a majority of the treasures, you can get some of the most expensive treasures, at 130, in 3 quests, and that's assuming you only have 1 in that PWC stat and are only using one character in all 3 quests. Sure, 3 quests is a lot, but that's a drastic example, a more realistic example would be 1-2 for almost every treasure. As a general price, that's fine, but I don't really think there'd be much point to saving up. You can save up for an extra PWC point, maybe a mount or crafting/professions, and a few expensive static treasures(If there's any really expensive ones, I dunno off the top of my head), but those are pretty character specific, bar the PWC point(and even then).

Of course, I can't really think of any worthwhile fix to this than "just add more treasures that are expensive and worth saving up for", but that's easier said than done. It's not really a problem now and I think this system is pretty great overall, but I feel like eventually this could be somewhat of. . . Well I wouldn't say a problem.

I think everything else is pretty great though.

Edit: Jesus christ I rambled a lot.
    Guy and UnnamedDude like this.
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Hm. I could see Major Gain being 100 rupees for vets, and 150 rupees for Newcomers or Regulars... It's basically just completing three quests, rather than two. What would you think of that?

I do admittedly worry that, since every character created is a potential source of 100r, an out-of-character purchase could be abused if rupees can be pooled between characters. Even unintentionally, someone like BP/Tsu/myself who make a large number of characters would inherently have more rupees overall, usually just because at least a few rupees are almost always left over (in the current system).

So, the rupees might either have to come from one character; or the "Race License" would have to be unlocked only be completed a specific quest/dungeon, much like the exclusive treasures Will has been incorporating into plot dungeons. (Most likely, it would be the former.)

Granted, it's possible to give all of my characters' rupees to Sienna, and have her purchase the Race License, posing the same problem. Pooling your rupees into one character like this, however, would be more noticeable.

If it's not a problem, then what is it? :sarcasm:

I do see your point, but really, we already have that issue. The way PWC costs are currently set up, you could save up 300 rupees for something which costs 60 rupees for another character. Rare is the player who would bother with that; he'd just look for treasures which are less punishing to the type of character he is playing. (Amusingly, even you did this with the Goron Tunic, if I recall correctly. :haa:)

The sorts of things a typical player would consider saving up for are grand things which are expensive for everyone: a draconic mount, a Great Deku Flying Machine, PWC increases, or several Major treasures. Granted, more of these grand treasures should be added, but it doesn't seem we need as many of them as cheaper ones simply because they're more expensive and require more time & effort to earn. (That's not to mention, a mythic mount (or vehicle) can be a vast array of different treasures, really.)

woot

It's better to post too much than not enough. That's my policy, anyway. :tpr:

This is a valid point on the issue no one's really made before...

...Anyway, if HH stays, the grading "difficulty" wouldn't be apparent anymore. Any character who earned "Devoted" or "Ascetic" may keep their title as an inheritance. The only real remnany of it would be a special title more akin to "Commoner" or "Peasant" for characters who opted to not use all of their PWC points. Such titles do, after all, represent what these characters are generally intended to be.

EDIT: Part of the reason we no longer carried the Passed/Good/Excellent character grading over from HS, if I recall, was because different Staff would grade differently. That only seems like it would apply for Ascetic/Devoted as well.
  10. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I think this could work well. It's a noticeable bonus that Vets get that is actually persistent, without giving them an unbalanced advantage over non-Vets.

Hmm, although I don't think it should be the standard for every one, the "Race License" idea sounds pretty fun actually, for the stronger races. Like, say. If you complete the LoZ megadungeon and beat it, you unlock Darknuts. Darknuts are a pretty strong race, something you wouldn't want to just give to players. This would make them more of a prestige, as they should be, since you really have to put in effort to get them. The only problem I see is, they'd take a lot of work to get, and I don't know if anyone would really care enough to get them. That's why I don't think it should be the norm, but I think it could be cool if it were like this for a few special races, such as Darknut, Wizzrobe, or maybe even Picori. You're still kind of unlocking OOC things with IC RPing, but it's less awkward, as rupees themselves are OOC anyway.

Hey, I just didn't understand why it was Power! I was gonna save for the totally not worth it stuff like Spin Attack!

I get what you mean though. Like I said, I think this system is pretty good overall, my main issue with this stuff is that it's pretty situational to the player. Though, I guess that's fine, since if someone is gonna save tons of rupees for something really major, it'll probably be pretty custom to their character(s), such as the GDFM.

:U

Well, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they discussed what their decisions would be as a group, or at the very least with another staff member to reach a decision. At least, for treasures I know this was true, I don't know if it carried over for characters too.
  11. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I'm pretty down with the whole "clear special dungeon for Darknuts" idea (storm Ganon's Tower so you can steal liberate a suit of their armor, to act as a License? Yes please.), and the vets getting Major Gain seems a pretty decent compromise too.

I'm also pretty cool with a little note in character creation bringing up the possibility of PWC handicap and the general re-focus on characterization in that event should HH be removed.
    Guy likes this.
  12. Guy

Guy Admin admin

You're right, it was discussed, but the bar between Ascetic, Devoted, Regular, and Failure is ultimately very arbirtrary. Bitoko might be more lineant than I am, or vice versa. Ultimately, it doesn't seem fair to players to expect staff to grade consistently. None of us are English majors, we're all imperfect, and we're all unintentionally biased. Having one bar for pass/fail is already too ambiguous when it comes to writing, so I'd rather not make it worse, you know?

I think we'll have to have a discussion on the addition of monster races prestiege races later on. There's no clear best way to implement them, as far as I can tell. Your dungeon idea does seem cool, but as you yourself said, that might be a bit steep. On the other hand, only one quest seems a bit shallow. Paying for them with rupees has its own issues.

At the very least, it seems everyone agrees that Veteran-exclusive races should be obtainable by Regulars for a cost. I do like UD's idea of having the Race License be an (optional) in-character item, like a Darknut's armor or a Subrosian's robe. As it stands, I expect Subrosians, Skull Kids, and Tokay to become available to Regulars with a 100r expenditure. This could either be a treasure to be obtained in-character as a quest reward, or a "Race License" which could be bought from the Twister without needing to complete a quest.

As for Major Gain, it seems like 100r for Vets and 150r for Newcomers/Regulars will become the norm. I've yet to hear anyone object to that.
  13. Guy

Guy Admin admin

14. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    I've been looking through the new library. If I may say I really like it. Easier to navigate than the thread to me.
    Guy likes this.
  15. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I must say the format does look pretty slick. Thanks for all the hard work guy.

EDIT: Botanist and Woodworker look interesting. Does this mean we can look forward to new materials?
    Guy likes this.
  16. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I LOVE the new Library, Guy. You're doing a GREAT job on that- just seeing that makes me want to RP more again. I know, I'm easily entertained.
    samusbot and Guy like this.
  17. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Thank you for all the feedback. :haa: Hearing your words is quite encouraging, and, really, my only payment for spending endless hours on this.

If anyone wouldn't mind, I would really appreciate any proofreading you're willing to do. Since I'm trying to get a lot done quickly, I don't proofread as thoroughly as I should be, so there's been at least a few typos thus far.

Yes. I've already added Compaction Thread (Tailor), Compaction Seed (Botanist), and Binding Stone (BlackSmith/Tailor/Woodworker). Chill Seeds and Ember Seeds can also now be used as Botanist Materials. As the new Library fills up, I intend to add many more materials, and make some existing items into optional materials.
  18. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'll take some time tomorrow after horseback riding if you want me to. Can anyone edit the wiki, or just you?
  19. Guy

Guy Admin admin

It's currently set up so only manually-added members can edit it. An administrator (which is just me at the moment) would need to add a user account for someone else, but from that point the added user should be able to edit pages normally.

So, if you want to help, I can make an account for you.
  20. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    That'd be great. I won't be making new pages but I can certainly tweak spelling.