Friggin Frigid Cold [Bepu and Tent]

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by WillowtheWhisp, Dec 8, 2014.

1. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    The tiny bundle of clothing shivered, despite its many layers. It was so blasted cold, and it just couldn't understand why anyone would subject itself to this. "Brap. My friggin sap might freeze, if I stay too long." Of course, he could use that, but using it came with its own problems, too. It had freshly snowed, still was, and quite a bit at that, so there was no telling what could happen. If something went wrong, even though the Snowpeak Ruins were now in sight, it could be hours before he reached his destination. Still.... "May as well give it a shot."

Tiny wooden limbs poked out from several sets of sleeves; the Korok looked more like a Kikwi, with the amount of furs and coats it had piled on. Out with it came a seed, one of the Pegasus variety. Yet, this one was strange, red in appearance, and it seemed to emanate heat. Holding onto it helped keep it warm, but he had plenty more where it came from; it was no time to be stingy. Bepu shifted some of his clothing, sticking his fist approximately where his mouth was located. "That's the ticket." Warmth began to spread through his body, his legs bursting with energy. He brought down his running goggles, and though they steamed up a bit from his renewed warmth, he'd still be able to see. Which would be important, in a moment here.

The Korok's legs became a blur as he charged ahead, following the road as best he could, despite the fresh and powdery snow, which was still falling. His progress was much faster, his feet melting the snow that impeded his movement, leaving fiery footprints in his wake. They were short lived, quickly turning into steam, then revealing the hard-packed, frozen dirt of the road beneath. It wasn't long before calamity struck, though; with a short yell, the Korok fell forward, having deviated too far from the main path. He'd run himself straight into a snowdrift, his hot feet burning a hole in the snow beneath him. He sighed in frustration. "Yup. Of course this happened. And who the hell even orders a sandwich all the way out here. Damn thing will be a block of ice, by the time I get it there..." He griped. He wriggled in the deep snow, trying to dig his way out, or at least reorient himself so he could tell up from down. After some time of struggling, he threw out his limbs in frustration.

"Well brap." He sucked in a breath of cold air, knowing full well that he was quite stuck. Thus, his only option: calling for help, which he made reality with his full lungs. Hopefully someone could hear him... He wasn't too far from the road, and despite the weather, he'd still seen a few figures travelling on the road.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Several minutes passed with the Korok trapped in the snowdrift. Eventually there came the voice of a Deku Scrub, "Oi! Are you over here...?"

The face of one Tent Emberwood, clad in an iron barbute, leaned into the snowdrift just enough to see the squirming victim beneath. Why was he holding a sandwich? It was strange, to say the least, but Tent nonetheless felt the need to act quickly. Din guided him to this poor soul for a reason, so she must invariably want her to save him. She even equipped him with the perfect tools for doing so, after all. "I'll get you out, don't worry."

Channeling fire into his gauntlets, the Deku sage had a relatively easy time using the heat to rapidly melt the snow which had entombed this fellow. "Are you alright?" He lowered one of his leather-wrapped hands down into the hole, offering to help pull him own. After pulling him out, Tent smiled slightly, and introduced himself properly. "I am a sage devoted to Din. My name is Tent. May I ask your name...?" His head tilted slightly, "And why you're up here?"

Indeed, the Korok didn't seem well equipped for this climate, much less accustomed to it. Tent would like to believe Din kept him warm wherever we went, but... it was difficult to stay cold when you're wearing three layers and can create flames at will.

(Psych. :tpr: I'm using Tent.)
  3. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    "Ah, thank you, sirrah Tent." Bepu thanked his savior as he was yanked up from the hole. He fortunate that someone did happen close enough to hear him. Seems he was lucky today. "As for who I am, I will answer in just a moment." He brushed the snow off of himself, and the small, wrapped sandwich in his hand. He proceeded to set down the large wicker basket on his back, open the cover, and finally place the sandwich tenderly within its confines with a gently pat. "I am Bepu. I am a simple sandwich delivery man, which is the same reason why I am here." He looked up at the sky, trying to gauge the time, but it was too overcast to tell. "And I am guessing, now, that I am probably running a bit on the late side..." He winced. He'd get scolding, when he got back to the shop.

"In any case, I should be on my way. But, before that, how would you like a job for a day? I couldn't help but notice the way you melted that snow. With such magic, reaching the ruins up ahead should be no problem, and I might even be able to deliver my sandwich on time. As for payment..." He reached down to his side, taking a small peak into a pouch there. It jingled heavily. "Well, I certainly wouldn't trouble you for your services for nothing."
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"My work for the day turned out to be, well..." Tent recalled slightly how Din appeared to him a dream, asking him to destroy the horrible snow beasts that were laying waste to a local outpost. He hadn't really expected to do combat with immobile snowmen, today, but perhaps things would still turn up for the better. "...less time-consuming than I expected." His eyes averted, slightly, wanting to avoid thinking about that... incident.

He quickly changed the subject, "As for payment, well. While Her Grace always accepts donations, I feel it would be unwise for me to accept them outside of a temple. Instead, perhaps, you could merely take me back to wherever you deliver sandwiches from?" He glanced over his shoulder, noticing for the second time the streak of melted snow from which led to were Bepu had landed. His first guess was that a Subrosian--one of Din's finest creations--had wandered through here. (Screw Farore, only Din could create a race so glorious.) It was difficult to imagine... Bepu...

"Are those your tracks...?" An open hand guided Bepu's eyes to them. Tent began to walk away from them, and in the direction he assumed the delivery man was headed.
  5. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    "Hm, well, I suppose I could do that instead, too." He said, thinking on it for a moment. "Alright, then, sir Tent, I promise you shall have no want for food, once we return from this delivery." He declared happily. He was quite glad to have companionship, both for Tent's apparent ability to generate heat, as well as the simple pleasure of having the company of another. "And yes, those tracks are mine." Bepu replied with a prideful twinkle in his eye. He pulled out a red pegasus seed. "It's a special creation of mine, leaves a trail of fire in your wake, while your feet move quickly that you don't bring harm to yourself. Unfortunately, it can be a little bit difficult to control, the running bit, so I melted my way into this snow drift." He sniffed disdainfully at the embarrassing event.
  6. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Tent smiled--as much as a Deku Scrub could, anyway--at Bepu's offer. He had grown rather hungry over the past few days. Though he fancied himself an independent sort, able to provide heat and fire, he was growing rather tired of poorly-cooked meat and scavenged berries. A well-made sandwich or two would be an excellent change of pace.

"Impressive," Tent admitted, looking upon the seed with wide eyes. Why was someone capable of such a feat wasting his talents as a mere delivery man? Then again, delivering to a remote and freezing place like this was no mere feat. "You must get amazing tips," Tent said cheerfully, "If you use Pegasus seeds--modified ones, no less--to make deliveries."

Tent began to stride in the direction opposite of Bepu's flaming footsteps, assuming that was the direction in which he was headed. "Perhaps it's best if we avoid using them, then? With these mountains and cliffs, I think a mere snowdrift is the least of our worries." He shrugged, "I definitely don't mind hoofing it the old fashioned way."
  7. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Oh. That could have been a problem; barreling down a cliff would have most definitely made him late. It's a good thing tent had said something, as that would have likely happened, had he somehow managed to find his way out of the snowdrift. Bepu laughed, chest heaving, though he looked more like a bundle of cloth just.... vibrating. "Quite right, Tent. I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose that's how I found myself stuck in the first place. I will use these later, then." He stowed the seed he had been showing off. He'd have liked to have shown it off; it wasn't often that others were impressed by his handiwork, but getting himself into more trouble would have accomplished the opposite.

He began to trudge in the direction of the ruins, while he continued their conversation. "As for tips, well... Sometimes our customers are quite generous, and others are, well, less so." His face scrunched up at that last part. Those were usually the worst ones. "And, as you can see, sometimes I am running late, so those times I don't usually get a tip. In fact, the sandwich ends up being free, and I get a stern scolding from my boss." He said glumly. Bepu'd need to really step it up, if he wanted things to end differently, this time.
  8. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Tent's pace hastened a bit, mostly subconsciously, as he didn't want to keep the delivery man from being late. It was rather peculiar. This seemed like an extremely remote location to be delivering any meal. He wondered how long such a deliver was expected to take, but, thought better of asking. Instead he offered, "Where exactly is the delivery location, anyway?" He shrugged, keeping up a quick walking pace, "Maybe I've heard of it."

Glancing up along the path, it seemed to wind for ages, to and fro, twisting through snowy and no doubt dangerous hills. A blanket of snow covered everything, and a white sky was coated with mountain peaks in nearly every direction--there might have even been a castle or tower here and there, thought it was difficult to see under these conditions. This lad was probably accustomed to outrunning White Wolfos and Chilfos. He surely had to be, or at least Tent hoped so. This didn't exactly seem the place for someone not versed in overcoming peril...
  9. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    "I'm unsure if it has a formal name; if it did, it's probably been so long since it was called by it, that it has now fallen into obscurity. Most people just call it the Snowpeak Ruins, though it's a large mansion. If it weren't snowing quite this much, I could point it out to you, but it's along this main road. I guess a yeti couple lives there, though I wasn't given a name..." He scratched his head. "I don't think too many people live out here, so I can't say I really needed one, but.... It would have been nice." They continued up the path, making small talk as they approached the decrepit mansion. Not much time passed before they stood before it, sizing up the large building. Their trip was thankfully uneventful, but considering the weather, Bepu figured that most things would rather avoid being outside. He wasn't sure he could have fended anything off, considering how much he was wearing, and how cumbersome it was. Shaking the snow from the boots around his stump feet, he stomped up to the door and rapped loudly upon it, before taking a few steps back. Hopefully he could drop off the sandwich, and that would be the end of that.
  10. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"Snowpeak Ruins..." Tent repeated the name, wistfully. It seemed somehow familiar, as if he had heard the name ages ago, but long since forgotten whatever feelings or memories he had attached to it. Yeti were imposing creatures, but all the ones he'd met seemed good-natured. They were reminiscent of Gorons, whom Tent liked--even if Yeti didn't seem to revere the glorious Lady of Flame quite as highly. "I dare say there aren't many Yeti who live in mansions." Tent shrugged a bit, his tone admitting Bepu was right, "So at least they shouldn't be difficult to find."

A short while later, they approached the mansion in question. According to Bepu's information, this was indeed the one and only Snowpeak mansion, or ruins, or whatever, in this area. Even so, the firm and loud knock rang out hollowly inside. Considering the size of the place it might have taken a while to reach the door, but... after a minute, Tent gave his new friend a pensive glance. Without saying anything, he reached up to the door, and--using the metal of his gauntlets--knocked even harder. He knocked so hard a bit of snow fell off, and, eerily, the door creaked open.

Swallowing his unease, Tent's glowing eyes poked in. "Hello...? We have a sandwich delivery?" The room seemed gargantuan, with doors and chairs made for creatures that must've been at least ten feet tall. Yet at the same time, a mixture of dust piles, holes in the floor and roof, and decaying giant furniture made it seem like no one had lived here for years. He proceeded to scoot inside, silently beckoning Bepu to do the same. Reluctantly, he asked, "What... do you make of this?"
  11. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    "Quite honestly? I'm sincerely hoping this wasn't a prank order. I would just leave now, but... I wouldn't be much of a delivery boy if I didn't look around first... Right?" Bepu stuttered out, a bit unsure of himself. Whether the stutter was because of the cold, or simply because the abandoned mansion unsettled him greatly, he wasn't too sure. He wasn't normally one to shy away from a delivery, but something felt wrong here. Bepu couldn't place his finger on it. The Korok crept forward a bit, the old rotten boards creaking in protest. He moved towards a door that was several yards away; it was slightly ajar, and less dust seemed settled around it. Had someone walked through it recently?

Bepu let out an alarmed yelp, one of the boards collapsing out from beneath him. He jumped back swiftly, as a few more fell away. More alarming still was the time it took for the boards to hit ground: a few moments passed before Clack! resounded out from somewhere beneath them. "I think... I think we should leave."

(Too spooky)
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  12. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Tent almost felt the need to catch Bepu as the lad hopped back. He might have had a point, but at the same time, Din must have led them here for a reason, right? There was always a reason. At least, Tent liked to believe so. He rubbed the back of his neck slightly, "Let's... at least look around for a bit. Maybe just this area foyer is run down?" In truth, even Tent himself didn't believe that.

He pushed towards one of the doors, beckoning Bepu to follow him. "Besides, I suddenly want to find out the story of this place. I mean, a huge mansion in the middle of the snowy hills? Who would just abandon something like that?" He grinned slightly, "I mean, it's not my cup of tea, but I imagine people would pay a fortune just to live in such an elaborate place, wouldn't they?"

Just as he reached one of the doors, however, a trio of Ice Keese abruptly dropped down from crevices in the ceiling, surrounding him. Almost on instinct, Tent's metal-bound fist abruptly burst into flames before pelting one of them clear across the room. With a quick spin, he threw a Din's Burst at another one, finishing it off with an explosion before it could even reach in. "Watch out," he called to Bepu--reaching for the last Keese, unless of course the Korok finished it off himself.
  13. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    "I find it hard to believe anyone has been here recently!" Bepu exclaimed, due to their assailants. They weren't much; keese, still, but definitely pests. Left alone, they became a real nuisance, especially those of the fire or ice variety. But it was usually a pretty easy task of clearing them out, so if there was anyone living here, they either didn't care, or were otherwise occupied. Bepu opted to believe no one had lived here in quite some time, instead. He jumped to the side, avoiding the dive-bomb of a keese, just as Tent disposed of the first. He flitted past him, gaining altitude for another dive. Too slow! Bepu whipped out his sling with one hand, an Ember seed with the other. Loading it with practiced hands, he whirled his body around, loosing the seed at the Keese. There wasn't much force behind the projectile, so it wasn't terribly fast, but the Keese had its back turned to Bepu, still. The seed caught its shoulder, before erupting into fire.

Catching his breath a moment, Bepu turned to Tent. "If there was time enough for keese to set up camp, I'm not sure anyone is still living here. As much as I dislike the prospect, you might be right; we should probably investigate why this place is here, and why it's abandoned..." That might be valuable intel; if there was anything dangerous residing here, or some powerful artifact, he'd need to get that to his handler. Sure, he'd much rather be out delivering sandwiches, but his primary job demanded this of him. He grimaced.
  14. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"I believe you're right." He nodded to Bepu, grimly. "Maybe someone died here? ...It is rather remote, after all. Perhaps no one discovered the body of a hermit, living alone way out here..." It was quite a place to have all to oneself, but he supposed it was possible, especially if the hermit was financially very well off.

"Regardless," he moved towards the door once again, "We should delve deeper." He had to reach up to twist the doorknob, but even after lightly pushing it, it didn't seem to give way. He had to brace his boots more tactfully against the floorboards, shoving hard. Tent was rather strong for a Deku Scrub, so much so the floorboards audibly creaked before the wedged door finally flung open. He rolled awkwardly, landing face-first into a mound of snow. He quickly hopped off, lighting his gauntlets to warm up his face. This entire area seemed to be some kind of interior courtyard, surrounded on all sides by stone walls. He could see ledges above, a fence running through the center, and... was that a cannon...? Tent's faced beamed, for he loved almost everything to do with gunpowder.

Tent excitedly romped towards the cannon, only to abruptly hear a loud, piercing howl to his left and right. His eyes whipped towards them, already knowing these monsters to be White Wolfos. He inflamed his fists, carefully waiting them to approach. He hoped to draw them in--not knowing if Bepu would be able to fell such beasts easily. Danger here was escalating quickly...
  15. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Wonder if I can get up there. Bepu had noticed the cannon, too, just after the White Wolfos made themselves known. "I'm going to try to get to that cannon." Bepu was sure that Tent would be fine; Wolfos weren't fond of fire to begin with, much less their cousins from a colder climate. The tricky part was getting past them. Glad I grew plenty of them, for this trip, then... He pulled a Red Pegasus Seed from its pouch, before slamming it down against the ground. He sped off with a sprint, a trail of fire in his wake, melting the shallow snow beneath him. He wouldn't have made it through the snow quickly enough, otherwise, because although it hadn't formed too thick a layer here, his legs may as well be stubs. His feet plowed through the snow, throwing him past the startled Wolfos; one howled, and began to bound after him, pointedly avoiding the flames. With a leap, he flew into the wall, and instead of sliding down and into the maw of the pursuant Wolfos, instead he stuck to the slick stone. He scrambled up as quickly as possible, trying to keep his concentration on climbing, instead of the beast below.
  16. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Tent had to do a double-take as Bepu apparently didn't just have flaming speeding footsteps this time, but apparently was running up a wall. This lad was full of surprises it seemed. Still, Tent could've sworn he met another little creature who walked on walls... No time to think on that now, though.

As one of the White Wolfos launched towards him, Tent hopped to one side, before leaping into it with a flaming superman punch, knocking it down into the snow so hard it seemed to turn into snow. It whimpered and scurried off, letting Tent take aim at the second one--who was feebly trying to chase a particular Korok up a wall, to no avail. The beast's distraction gave Tent plenty of time to carefully aim, and let lose an explosive Din's Burst right underneath it, sending it soaring up into the air, bursting into flames. The Wolfos yelped in pain, before quickly scurrying down under the snow--quenching the flames.

Tent waited carefully, eyeing the snow with suspicion. Both of the Wolfos seem to have fled, or were at least in hiding. Even though he wasn't exactly fond of the vile things, he still feel somewhat relieved in that he didn't have to kill them. He preferred to believe that all life was sacred under Din.

With a sigh, Tent relaxed out of his fighting stance. He glanced up at the gray sky, then towards the wall Bepu seemed to have scurried towards. Over the cool breeze, his voice called out, "Find anything?"
  17. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Bepu had been curious, from the moment they stepped into that courtyard, why there was a cannon pointed at, presumably, where the masters of the mansion would bring their guests. It was already abundantly clear that this was no mere home; the location, the size, everything seemed out of the ordinary. The cannon, and the stone walls, suggested there was something worth protecting. What that was, he planned to find out. For now, though, he was sawing at a rope. Though the metal saw was rusted from exposure to the elements, its steel held true, its teeth biting through the tough rope. It snapped, followed by a resounding boom. The rope shot upwards as the weight was lifted, followed by the sound of grinding gears and stone. "Just that! Anything change down there?"
  18. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Tent flinched slightly at the sudden whirl of ancient machinery. What exactly had Bepu done? He couldn't quite see over the ledge, and didn't think he'd be able to climb up that high so easily... If only he could walk on walls, or something.

The noise seemed to grow louder and louder, until the very ground beneath Tent was quaking. Before he could even realize it, the very ground itself seemed to give way beneath him, a colossal trap door ten feet across opened up, flinging him into its depths. He couldn't help but let out a ylep as he flailed through the open air, flying what seemed like over thirty feet, before landing in something cold and fluffy with a tremendous THUD. Had the snow fallen before him? No, that was impossible...

...As he felt around, he suddenly realized he was touching fur. Scrambling upwards, he suddenly realized he had landed on a gigantic 12-foot-tall Yeti, who was now out cold. As if that wasn't enough, the giant body laid in what seemed like a storage room for numerous cannons and cannonballs, shelves lining the room. The entire floor seemed to be either solid ice or crumbling wood. He could spy what looked to be a few Mini Freezards sliding around in a corner. Even though they were the size of Bepu, Tent couldn't help but feel like those things were like rodents or some other pests to... whoever he landed on.

"Bepu...!" He called out through the trap door, staring into the sky. "I think... I found your customer!"
  19. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Well that's fortunate. Bepu's curiosity had paid off, though for a moment, by the sounds of it, he had been worried that he had accidentally loosed boulders upon his companion, which would have been disastrous, for lack of a better term. He ran over to the ledge of the stone wall, peering downwards to the opened abyss. He didn't see anything from there, though; Tent had likely fallen a fair distance. Vaulting over the low wall that stood in his way, he began to walk back down to the courtyard-turned-pit trap. Once he was back down to ground level, he peered into the pit. There, below, was Tent, who had apparently landed on a giant fur blanket; no, wait, that was his customer. "Ah."

He looked around from his vantage point, but seeing little more than Tent was able to; a couple of freezards, that seemed startled, but were too far to do anything about the sudden intrusion. Yet, anyways. They didn't seem to intent upon moving towards the Yeti, anyways. "I have to say, this has to be one of my most interesting deliveries yet." Seeing no way down, and no good way to walk down with the wall, he threw caution to the wind and jumped off, hoping his customer wouldn't have too many bruises by the time they woke up.

Pomf!
  20. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"...Oh jeez," Tent hesitantly snickered. He gathered the impression that his fall had knocked out the Yeti, but... Bepu was lighter and softer he supposed, especially considering the iron. In any case, the Yeti didn't seem to mind for now. Tent's hand rubbed awkwardly at his neck, not sure what to make of the situation.

After squirming a bit, Tent pushed off the giant ball of white fur and landed on the icy floor below--sliding on its surface, but managing to keep his balance, if only just. He felt his limbs flail slightly, his face twisting in discomfort. Needless to say, he was not a fan of ice, or anything slippery. Things need to be firm, solid... and ideally hot and on fire, though he could settle for room temperature. After sliding over to a solid spot, Tent released a slight sigh of relief.

He turned towards Bepu, placing his fists on his hips. "What do you think we should do? You're the professional here," he offered. "I assume it is bad form to merely leave the sandwich on his body and run." Tent sighed, rubbing his neck again. How exactly were they supposed to awaken the fellow? Even if they had water, it might freeze him--or at least give him a cold. Tent could summon flames at will, but he knew from experience no sane person--well except maybe a Subrosian--appreciated being incinerated.

He watched the Mini Freezards out of the corner of his eye. It felt as though they were considering whether or not to approach... Tent silently hoped they would make the wiser decision. Nonetheless, his body tensed, ready to launch a burst of flame their way if need be.