We're Just Graverobbers (Squish, Guy)

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Guy, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Following orders, Gustav darted towards Guy in an attempt to help the man up. Not that he would say it aloud, but the Business Scrub had never seen his associate quaking like this... injured, bleeding sap... and afraid--maybe even terrified. It seemed almost surreal.

Grasping whatever part of the man hadn't been peeled off or crunched by those claws--the waist seemed like a safe bet--Gustav worked his Korok Copter as hard as he could to spin into the air. His arms strained with Guy's weight, but he managed to heave the man by his shoulders away as Locke kept that monstrosity occupied.

As Gustav lowered slowly to the ground, Guy caught himself on all fours, only for his left shoulder to give way, planting his face into the ground. He spat a curse into the tile, then used his right hand to forcefully shove himself up onto his feet. Indeed, it ached like hell whenever he even so much as twitched his left shoulder, much less the hand itself. Glaring in annoyance at his own limb's impotence, Guy slowly slipped the shield off his injured arm--shuddering with pain as he did so--and let it flop to the ground with a defeated clang. Aside from a seemingly broken arm, his torso had five foot-long gashes along it, seeping sap slowly.

Gustav exchanged a glance for Guy's glare. "I can still run," Guy quickly announced, as if trying to protect his pride more than his injuries, "Literally everything hurts like hell... but... I still can..." His voice trailed off as a dizzy feeling surged into his head, and he ended falling back on his ass. He groaned in annoyance as much as pain. Nothing needed to be said--he just flicked his hand in Gustav's direction, as if to shoo him off. Agony was one thing, but he didn't need someone watching over him when a bone-crunching nightmare of a monster was still spewing fireballs and threatening to murder all of them.

Gustav offered a slight nod, before turning towards the monster. Leaving Guy to rest for the moment, Gustav spun into the air. A tornado had burst up in front of the nightmare--was that a Gale Seed?--preventing it from advancing easily. Gustav nervously notched an air, launching it from dozens of feet away. A satisfying thunk sounded as it sank into the creature's head(?), but it barely even flinched. Instead, it seemed intent only on tearing through that tornado and crushing Locke just as it had done to Guy...
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Throughout his life, Locke had fought many things. Drunks, Moblins, Wolfos, even the occasional Poe, deep in the Lost Woods. But never a giant pumpkin. And he was damn sure he never wanted to again.

The whirwind splattered the digusting goop from the pumpkin everywhere, slathering the room and its occupants in something not unlike rotten soup. Locke was beyond caring at this point. As long as he could keep himself from gagging or slipping, he might be able to turn this fight around.

"Gustav," the Hylian growled, "Once you get an opening, hit it with all you've got."

Locke watched the monster intently, mentally going over his next set of actions. Once the pumpkin dropped to the ground, there was a big chance it might break, or at least weaken its head. And he suspected than once they could get rid of its head, the rest would be easier. Now all he had to do was wait for the whirlwind to wear itself out.

Which it did, very soon.

As Locke leapt forward, only one thought crossed his mind.

He wished he had a bigger axe.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

With Guy aching in the corner, Gustav nodded towards Locke's command. If ever he needed steady hands, now was that moment--instead of coptering into the air, he kept his feet on the ground in a wide stance. Once the whirlwind stopped, he would only have a second to make the perfect shot. He exhaled out all the air from his lungs, took a deep breath, and pulled back the drawstring while eyeing carefully down the shaft of a newly-drawn arrow. He aligned the tip perfectly in his sights. Almost everything seemed calm now, slowing down in his mind, as he concentrated completely on only one target...

Just as suddenly as it appeared, the whirlwind vanished. Locke was charging in with axe in-hand, and Gustav was going to create an opinion for him--no matter what. A sharp whistle pierced the air, and suddenly the giant Pumpking Head was recoiling in pain, hands clutching its face, as a nightmarish inhuman voice roared out with agony. Sticking out from one of its eye holes was the shaft of Gustav's arrow, spewing a fountain of black fluid pouring out of the pumpkin's hole, oozing down over the surface of the vegetable.

Gustav couldn't help but smirk. "...Poeseye."

With the monster recoiling and clutching its face, Locke had every opening he needed to tear it asunder with all his strength and none of his reservation.
  4. Squishy

Big or a small axe, it did not appear to matter much when Locke tore into the Pumpkin. It did not have a chance to retaliate as it was occupied with it's eye, giving the Hylian a chance to jump it. With a loud cry of rage, Locke brought his axe down again and again, pulp and ooze splattering everywhere.

When not much more than pulp and crushed shreds of vegetable remained, Locke ceased his attack, panting heavily. He had been attacking in a daze. The ghost, or what remained of it, lay limply under him, amidst a puddle of rotten ooze. With the pumpkin done for, it seemed to have lost its strength as well.

Or so it seemed.

Although its head had been thoroughly smashed, the ghost was not ready to give up. With an enraged roar, he grabbed Locke by the collar and flung him off. Getting to safety to recover was now more important than crushing the would-be robbers.

The impact with the hard stone floor had slammed the air out of his lungs, everything in Locke's body screamed in pain. Gasping, he flung a hand in the ghost's direction, hoping Gustav would take the hint.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

In the wake of Locke's axe, shreds of pumpkin guts and black fluid had been splattered across the floor. The main body made one last effort to crush Locke, but Gustav saw the blue-and-white robed body flailing and convulsing without the veil of its head. He would not have even be sure how to describe what he saw--it was as if a cork had been popped, and all the energy the specter had abruptly went gushing out of it in a frenzy.

Gustav notched his arrow, ready to end it once and for all... But, the ghost was in a twitching heap. Locke had collapsed. Guy was limping towards him with all his strength, which wasn't much.

Abruptly, an orange-colored wisp shot out of the body. It was tiny, faint, and in its beady black eyes Gustav saw something that resembled vaguely a Goron's face. Wasting no time, his arrow loosed and tore the air--stabbing right between those eyes. A hoarse gasp of pain whispered out of the orange face, as what remained of Pumpkin Head disappeared into smoke, and then into thin air.

For a moment, everything was silent--until Gustav breathed a sigh of relief. His heart was still beating fast, but for once, his hands were still.

Guy groaned, leaning into Gustav suddenly, "You did it. Both of you. Honestly, I thought I was going to die there. But you pulled through."

Gustav gave a firm nod, before scooting over to Locke in an attempt to help him up. "I hope that's the last thing in here we have to fight... For obvious reasons. I can't battle on my own, you know."

"...I bet that was it. He must have been the king." Guy was still breathing heavily, one hand clasping his injured shoulder. "Being out gave me a chance to remember, pumpkins used to be a sacred fruit among Gorons, ages ago. That's what I heard, anyway. Maybe it was supposed to be his crown, but..."

Guy fell back on his ass, a faint smile in his voice, "If this is where he was buried, I'm sure the treasure can't be far. If he was still here guarding it, that means no one else must have taken it. You gonna make it to your share, Locke?" In truth, he wouldn't mind too much splitting up Locke's cut between himself and Gustav. Still, his spirits were too high now to commit such a sudden betrayal. After all, the man inadvertently saved Guy's own life. That was worth something, right?
  6. Squishy

Locke groaned. It was a miracle he had not broken anything. He pushed himself into a sitting position, looking over at Guy. "You bet I will. Didn't nearly get killed for nothing." The thief took his time to get back on his feet, carefully trying out whether his legs could still carry him to the center of the room.

There was a crack running through the gravestone. Locke used the blade of his axe to wedge one half out of the stone from the floor, shoving it aside. Yes! There was something underneath! The wooden top of the casket had rotted away, but the skeleton was still intact. To his surprise, the skeleton did not have much in the way of jewels, but there was something hidden away underneath... Locke pulled the skeleton from its resting place, heaving it onto the remains of the gravestone so he could reach underneath. This was what he had been looking for! Underneath the skeleton was a loose plank, revealing what they had broken into the tomb for in the first place. The rest of the casket was filled with some kind of... coins? Locke wasn't sure what sort of material it was, but if it was money, it had to be worth something. Right?

Locke let the coins fall through his fingers, back into the casket.

"So, how much are these worth?"
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"As long as it isn't Pumpkin Seeds," Guy scoffed.

Finally given his chance to shine, Gustav scurried over to the casket and begin appraising the numerous coins. Almost instantly, he gave a disappointed little groan. Taking up one of the numerous bronze-colored coins carefully between his thumb and index finger, he brought it close to his face and squinted intently at it. "Markings... decent condition..."

Gustav sighed heavily, and tossed the coin back in with the skeleton and the casket. "Melt down these coins for materials."

Guy instantly shot a vicious glare, "What."

"I'm sorry you two, but these are old bronze coins. One would assume a king would want gems or something of timeless value, but by today's standards this is the equivalent of being buried with tons of rupees. Rupees are only even really that valuable because Hyruleans value them as currency." He braced the part of his face that would normally house a chin, and his brow furrowed in obvious disappointment. "No one values these as currency anymore, not even Gorons. Even museums find coins like these all the time, so they aren't even historically valuable. Heck, we probably destroyed more history just trying to find them..."

Guy's face fell into his one good hand, grimacing. "What... whatever. At least we can use the materials. I don't give a shit. Help me put some of these in my bag, Gustav. You still have that map, right? So we can find our way out of here?"

With a sigh, Gustav offered a nod. He turned towards Locke, not even sure what to say.
  8. Squishy

"...What."

Locke stared at Gustav. Then back to the coins. Then back at the Deku. The treasure was worthless? The treasure they nearly got killed for multiple times? Their entire mission... had been for nothing?

"You have got to be kidding me. Right? RIGHT?"

He clutched a handful of the coins, dull edges pressing into his palm. Was this all a trick of the Dekus so they could claim the treasure for themselves? No, Guy seemed just as frustrated, Gustav just sad. He looked them again. Then, with a frustrated howl, flung the handful of coins away, not even hearing the tinkling sound as they bounced across the floor.

This tantrum was probably going to last a few days.
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I don't think it was ever actually clarified, but this was Spirit's Grave.

Between Guy and Gustav, my characters got 50 rupees...
    -15: Some spent on renting a Bomb Bag
    -30: More are spent on raising Gustav's Profession from Lv5 to Lv6
    +50: But Guy gains a bunch from his Lv10 Profession
    +30: And Gustav gains a good amount from his Lv6 Profession
    -10: And as previously mentioned, 10 are going to Locke
    = 45 are left over for Guy, bringing his total from 12 to 57
    = 30 are left over for Gustav, bringing his total from 0 to 30

Locke gets 40 rupees...
    +10: Plus some from Guy
    -15: Some are spent on a Lens of Truth
    -20: And a few more are spent on Yaka Whistle
    = 15 rupees are left over for Locke, bringing his total from 105 to 120
  10. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    The dungeon was too spoop, but Gustav proved himself a true hero. No, but really, good job. Passed :)