Truth Be Told...

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Bitoko, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Well my dear Hylians, Deku, and other races of Hyrule Castle, I have a confession to make. In the past while HC feels as if it has become a chore and all that and just wasn't fun That compounded with my crazy school schedule kept me away for a while. Sad, I know.... However, I seek to fix this.

I kind of feel that, at least for me, HC has kind of lost its savor. Now I know that some of you are currently Role Playing and enjoying it as far as I can see. Some of you have made lots of characters and are having a lot of fun, but I feel that some changes need to be made. Not anything really big, just some things that I think can bring real role playing life to Hyrule Castle, making it vibrant and full of fun again!

This isn't going to be easy, and I'm not completely set on what I am going to do, however there have been ideas that I have discussed with a few people that I think I am going to implement. I think there are some systems that need slight tweaking (such as the origin system *cough*) and some things that can be added to add depth and prestige to the atmosphere.

I am definitely open to suggestions as well, please PM me them or post them here if you wish.

Also, I'm going to try my best to make this not retro-active, meaning you shouldn't have to go back into you're character sheets to adjust anything.
  2. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnntttttttttttttttttttttsssssssssssssssssssss
  3. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

So you want mounts to be reworked? What would you like to see?
  4. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Profession system, definately professions (Y U NO MAKE MONEY?!)
  5. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Professions do make additional rupees per RP... save for Spirit Priest and Shadow Priest, which are specifically stated not to...
  6. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

No I mean, has anyone here ever been through enough RPs with a profession character for the profession to repay itself? If so there can't be many. So professions tend to lose money rather than gain it.
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Neither does a Clawshot or Din's Burst or a Mount repay itself, though. I'm already worried about rupees piling up and not knowing what to do with them once I have the treasures I've planned for my characters as things are.
  8. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Okay, something that's on my mind, nagging at the back of it like a little kitten pawing at my heel, is a past experience with these revamps. So, to explain where I'm coming from, a story. 

Skylessia is an aspect of FEP, from which BP, UD, Spirit, and a couple others, myself included, come from. It was a pretty sweet forum, until one of the mods, the evil and tyrannical Foe, decided just what you have: (hence my wariness) "I'm bored of how the RP is, so I'm going to change it." 

Skylessia went through two or three major changes in like... Two months, and eventually proposed they scrapped the whole current system and go by his new idea. At this point, half the RPers said "Enough is enough" and quit. Many people listed above included. 

My point with this, is change what needs to be changed to make the RP work, but please please please don't just make changes for the sake of making changes... I desperately don't want another case of Skylessia. This is a great forum with unique layouts, and though a few recent things have got me bitter, I don't want to see it make the same mistakes I've already seen elsewhere. I'm not saying you're going to make such dramatic changes, I'm just saying where I stand on it as a preemptive strike for if you ever do. My apologies for the rant.
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I already expressed my concern in the CBox, but in case someone decides to nuke Tsu for his different opinion, I second this.
  10. urnotlikeme

urnotlikeme New Member reg

To be honest, I've been wanting a large scale RP that would involve most of our favorite characters, and I think the overarching story line needs to advance in a way that we control. I think this would be a great way to bring us together and to spice things up a bit.
  11. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Ok, first I will address the issues Tsubori brought up, because I feel they are important. I am not planning on "change" like that, it isn't going to be a big whole system or plot change or anything like that. The main role playing is going to stay intact, there wont be any changes to anything that effects it in that way. So I don't want you to worry about it, however there may be some things added, or tweaked in minor ways.

Also, I do plan on advancing the plot, thats going to be a big focus for me this summer, along with the things I'm going to be implementing.
  12. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...Just saying, this is pretty much how this all sounds to me:

"I'm going to change some things. I don't really know why, but even though you're all role-playing just fine and it seems like we're overall more active than we've been in a while, even without Quill, but something doesn't feel right to me. Oh, I don't know what I'm going to change. Or maybe I do and I'm not telling you. I dunno. No, I take that back, I'm going to advance the plot which doesn't really matter, and maybe perhaps do some other things if I actually get around to it this time. Also, it is VERY IMPORTANT that everyone knows I said this (and that I'm being very vague or indecisive about it)."

"Oh, and here's suddenly a new mod. I didn't actually, you know, bring this up to staff who are actually active for a second opinion." (It certainly wasn't posted in the staff section, and at least two current staffers more active than myself know nothing of it.)

In any case, I suggest you heed Tsubori. Even though you and I aren't as active anymore, every change you make has potentially drastic effects on a community more active than our Hylian legacy has been in quite some time. ...Just make sure you keep that in mind, and listen carefully to everyone around you.

And yes, I'm sure I come off as a massive douche. :yomp: But that's kind of my job.
  13. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

It is you're job, and I'd have it no other way. But this time its not just a whim.

1- I do know what I'm changing, and its not "changing" something exactly, its adding something.

2- Advancing the plot is part of what needs to be done, I can't just leave it with the troops from northern hyrule sailing over so that will advance a little. The change itself doesn't have to do with the plot.

3- Its not something that I'm going to get "around to", its something I've been thinking about for months and have come to a point where I want to try to implement it. If it works out, awesome, if it doesn't, thats fine too.

4- It is pretty important that people see this, because it is an addition I'm excited about and I hope others will be too.

5- Its not just "suddenly" a new mod, its a mod that I feel will help HC and that has a specific skill that I wanted to bring into the staff. Frankly, I don't need to let everyone know when I'm going to add a new staff member. If there is someone that I feel will benefit us in a way that I don't need second opinions on, I'm free to do so. Ribitta will make a great mod and it was an excellent choice.

6- I hope these numbers are thoroughly annoying to you, because I suspect they are.

7- I am aware of the effects such changes can have. But again, I assure you, they are not changes that would have that kind of an effect. And again, they are not so much "changes" as they are additions. The reason I asked if there was anything that people wanted addressed is because I am looking at making a few minor alterations to make the quality of life better here at HC, such as origins. I also want to make boats a little more accessible so people can go out to sea.

8- Lastly, I'm Toko, I'm boss, so deal with it. Lol.
  14. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    That's fine Toko, but you aren't being terribly considerate of your staff members (who, mind you, keep this place running while you're gone), when you show up from a long absence and all of a sudden drop things like this one the site without even considering our feelings first. That, honestly, makes me wonder if all I am, as a staff member, is a manual laborer.

You are Head Admin, sure. And you do hold that right. However, like I said above, please keep us in mind when you do so. Otherwise, I see no point in you having moderators around, if you are so clearly capable of handling the site yourself.

You made this quite clear in every single one of your points. But, let me remind you, if you have forgotten, that it's the members of Hyrule Castle that even allows it to function. The members are not here to serve us; we are, in fact, here for them, so that they can enjoy their experience here.
  15. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Ok Will, thanks for the post. I want you to know that I haven't forgotten about the staff and of course I'm going to be bringing it before the staff first. You guys are invaluable to me and not just "manual laborers" lol. I am in the process of compiling it all and it will be ready either today or tomorrow. I do keep you in mind, and I didn't think there would be a problem with my choice of staff. Its really always been ultimately up to me who makes staff, hasn't it?
  16. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    It has, but to be honest, you haven't exactly been active, so I feel that maybe some input from those of us who are might be good to, at the very least, hear out.
  17. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Basically, almost everything Will said, plus: announcing an announcement is rather poor taste. If you must, say what you're going to add, but don't be needlessly vague be simply saying that there there will be additions. That aside, as long as you follow through and don't continue to be a complete fool about it, then carry on.

In any case, I'm glad we all agree it is my job to be a douche. :sarcasm:
  18. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Guy.. it's your job to be a douche and my job to be vague, isn't it? Lol, either way I do agree with both of you that I handled it poorly. I wanted to say that some things were COMING to give some advance notice to expect things, but you were completely justified in calling me out for it lol, past experiences in mind.
  19. Nolan

Nolan Member new

I actually don't really have a problem with any systems right now.

I've been friends with a good portion of the community for well over four or five years, and I always float to the sites that these people go to because of how much I enjoy their company. I guess the biggest issue I have is the fact that everyone always wants things changed. I've watched this community in all of its versions grow over the past few years and everything works fine until someone decides the site needs a revamp...

Then new versions of the site pop up and then drama happens, and it all gets messy and chaotic. I think rather than focusing on systems or the story or whatever, that it's much more important that we bring the community together somehow.

Our systems aren't broken. They don't need to be fixed or changed. Honestly, I feel like the issue is that the people that frequent this site are just busy with the adult world more than bored or uninterested in roleplaying. I know for me at least that I will always enjoy writing or roleplaying or chatting with this community, but the older I get I literally just don't have the time to come here as often anymore.

I mean, as the site gets older, sure new story arcs and events should come out, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be.

I can't speak for staff issues because I've never been a staff member.
  20. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Nolan I appreciate the reply. However, we are not talking about a huge revamp like HS went through and the many iterations that lead up to HC. HC has remained pretty much the same for 2 years, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. What we are talking about is adding a few things to give some other options, not huge options, but more options in the character creation area specifically. This doesn't mean we are scrapping a system or anything like that, because we feel that our systems are overall really good, and don't need vast changes.

What I can say about the changes, are that they are meant to add a little bit of difficulty and challenge to the character creation process and roleplaying here, and it will be completely optional. So no, its not a revamp, its just a new thing we want to add.

Our goal for HC is to keep it's core intact while at the same time make small improvements or tweaks to existing systems that improve the roleplay, or add small systems that bring more diversity. Don't fear about the community changing or the roleplay being revamped, because its not in our plans!