The Scorched Library (Clooby, Darth, Squishy)

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Squishy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    Julius addressed the Headmaster's concerns and cries of torture first. "I will say that simple sleep deprivation is rather humane compared to more unsavoury techniques we've employed in the past. The Shiekah, if you'll recall, were rather... What is the word? Ruthless? With how they treated their prisoners, or captives, or whatever you'd desire to call them. Either way, I must defer to miss Vilcaron's judgment on this; it'd take far too long to be effective. Perhaps if we had more time.." He trailed off, searching over the man's body. He first stripped the man of his armor, weapons, and shield, before coming across a small satchel hidden under his armor.

"Everyone, take a step back, please." He announced, before carefully removing the satchel from the man's body. It seemed to be... an Adventure Pouch? But what was--

Before he could finish his own question, a BombChu -- a real one -- leapt from the sack. It leapt about a foot away from Julius, but he was more than ready, quickly raising his shield and knocking the rat away from doing anyone harm.

"Hm. I suppose that was to be some sort of last-ditch suicide method -- eerily similar to..." Julius racked his brain for a moment, trying to recover the relevant information. "There was a legend long ago about a race of strangely garbed entities from a far off land... They used a similar suicide technique, to prevent information from falling into enemy hands. I can't recall their names right now, but I've no doubt that they attempting to emulate that. Maybe we're not dealing with a specific set of imposters, but rather an amalgamation of them. I cannot say." He returned to the satchel.

"Miss Vilcaron, I'm sure there's little in the way of actual danger left in this. If you'd please look over it for the time being, I must go and make sure this... criminal is kept detained. He would possibly be a danger to all if he were kept out of confinement." Julius left the pair there again, hefting the unconscious man over his shoulder and walking off to another of the tents. They would be getting some information out of this fellow, one way or another.
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

"Are you referring to the Garo, perhaps?" Clarence offered upon Julius' description. He had let out a small sigh of relief when Judith pointed out the unpracticality of using the all-night mask, although that feeling had quickly dispersed when the Bombchu flew out of the bag. "Whoever is comitting these crimes is well-taught in Hyrule's history, it seems. ...Although I do wonder, why such a set-up? Using the Sheikah symbol, Garo techniques... Perhaps it is simply a flair for the dramatic, or perhaps there is some kind of message hidden in these actions?"

He pondered this for a moment, while Julius started to lift the unconscious man.

"There might be something we're overlooking. Or perhaps there is a pattern to this. I would have to look into some books and scrolls, but seeing as there is not much else to do at the moment..."

It was a small chance, but while Julius removed their would-be assassin, the remaining two investigators could delve into the books to look for similar patterns, or at least more information on the elusive Sheikah and Garo.

"Miss Vilcaron, if you would accompany me? While Sir Surgate deals with our... perpetrator, perhaps we could see if there is anything useful in the remaining tomes and documents."

He started back towards the tents, filled with new determination. And perhaps, finally, anger? Ever since the fire he had felt afraid and helpless, but now they started to find more pieces of the puzzle, something flared up in him. This had been an attack to the Academy, his family, and his personal pride. And he would not let it slide, nor sit back while others cleaned up the mess.
  3. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

The instant a live Bombchu spilled out of the ruffian's bag, Judith paled and jumped backwards, hoping to distance herself from the inevitable blast. Thankfully, Julius reacted with alacrity, swatting the mechanical rodent away before it could explode to save everyone in the immediate vicinity. The priestess breathed a sigh of relief, though the small measure of satisfaction she derived from the confirmation of the assassin's inability to be interrogated was offset by the fact that he had employed such drastic tactics to keep himself from talking.

At the mention of the near-mythical Garo, however, Judith's ears perked up.

"The Garo? I have heard of them... Legend has it that a Garo can only be spawned by the spirit of someone who died without fulfilling a mission of the utmost personal importance. You don't suppose...?" Furrowing her brow, she gingerly accepted the Adventure Pouch from Julius, then paused to collect her thoughts as he marched his prisoner off to jail. Before the aged captain was out of earshot, however, she suddenly called after him.

"Sir Surgate! Actually, there is an errand I would like you to run after you incarcerate that man... I realize this is a lot to ask, but perhaps you could obtain a list of all Sheikah agents who have died recently, violently or otherwise... And if possible, the specifics of their final missions? I have a hunch that the answers we seek may lie beyond the grave... Don't hesitate to pursue any leads you find, Captain." While he had never referred to his rank directly, Judith could infer as much from his uniform and acts of leadership thus far. That was precisely why she had entrusted him with the task- With his authority, he might be able to uncover information not available to the general public. Information that might point to the birth of a vengeful Garo.

Then, letting Julius be on his way, Judith nodded toward Clarence.

"Of course, Sir Clearwater. My mind is at your disposal." Falling into step behind him, Judith followed him to his tent. "I'm afraid I didn't get a good glance the surviving tomes... Are there any particular documents we should examine first?" As the headmaster, his opinion on what was significant would be far better-informed than hers, and she would defer to him.
  4. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "I like your train of thought," Julius commented, turning back towards the tents. He thought he felt the prisoner stir for a moment, before lying still once more. He immediately double-timed it back towards the tents, his grasp tightening on the captive.

This was going to take a while indeed. Far longer than Judith thought, at least, as he well and truly was going to get some kind of information out of this criminal. He wasn't going to let his comrades' lives be in vain.

Well, that had certainly taken a while longer than he would have liked. He looked at the traces of blood on his hands as he washed them in the pool of water. Bloodier than he would have liked, too; but, something had to be done. They had to find something out. And, as it so happened, find something out they did.

He was... well, rather good at what he had learned over his years as a captain. See, sometimes you had to deal with these kinds of people: agents of Ganon, hellbent on destroying the way of life that many depended on in Northern Hyrule; where a person's existence could, usually, be peaceful if they wanted it that way. He wished he didn't have to be good at what he was good at, but intimidation and torture... He was good at both of them. Not as good as he was with a sword, nor as good as he was strong, but the point remained that he had literally made the youth nearly defecate himself when he realized the six-foot-something guard captain looking over him, silently polishing an instrument.

That was when he screamed, and because he had jerked so violently, it meant that he had missed his mark as well, which lead to him bleeding profusely.

He exited the tent. He knew the kid wouldn't die, at least. It wasn't a major enough offense to be executed for, but he would most certainly be facing imprisonment. For how long, however, Julius was uncertain.

Julius was back in the center of the temporary camp after a short walk. His companions were bound to be somewhere -- likely somewhere private, he soon realized. After all, it wasn't like Clarence was exactly unattractive... But weren't priestesses of Nayru usually sworn to celibacy, or something along those lines? He wasn't exactly sure.

He found Clarence's tent and rapped on it covering for a short moment, before asking, "May I speak with the both of you?"
  5. Squishy

"Ah, please... It's just Clarence. My students call me 'Sir' enough already."

While Julius had been off doing... well, Clarence didn't really want to think what the man was doing to their captive. But while the Captain was away, he had taken to looking over the rescued books again, sorting any books or scrolls that appeared useful from the ones that did not. He handed half of the selection over to Judith, settling the two of them down in his tent so they could scour the texts for any shred of information that might prove useful.

"I suppose anything related to the Sheikah or Garo might be of use. There has to be something that can explain what happened..."

One particular set of scrolls came in sealed canisters, closed to prying eyes by a heavy plaque of wax. Clarence felt his hands tremble slightly when he held them. The canisters were the only remnants of the more... sensitive content the library had held. The seal bore the familiar triangular crest of the Royal Family, though another symbol had been combined with it; the eye of the Sheikah. Clarence had never thought its contents would ever become relevant, he wasn't even quite sure why these records were actually kept. For that was what the canisters contained. Lists of agents, records of missions, information that had been kept away from the public. Even Clarence's family, despite owning the library, was not freely allowed to open them. Not that there ever had been any reason to, until now.

Clarence was about to tell Judith of the records, when someone rapped on the tent. The sudden sound made the headmaster jump in his seat, expecting another assailant. Only then did he hear Julius' voice.

"Y-yes, certainly! Please, come in."

He waited for the guardsman to enter the tent and take a seat at the table, still holding the sealed scrolls in his hands. When Julius took his place, Clarence spoke up, offering one of the canisters to the man.

"I think these might be the records Miss Vilcaron suggested we look for. Lists of former agents and their missions." He said, nodding to the priestess across from him. "The only thing I know about these records is that they are of agents loyal to the crown. I can't... I can't imagine they would turn on their masters. Perhaps something changed in death, or perhaps they were from another clan altogether, and not in service, but still... Everything seems to make so little sense. But we might as well see if there are any deaths under suspicious circumstances." A thought struck him. "Although, don't Garo appear the very moment an individual dies? If so, there might not be a recorded death. We should look at the agents listed as missing too."
  6. Darth_Slaverus

Grateful that she had been blessed with such capable co-investigators, Judith set aside the scroll she had been examining and glanced thoughtfully from Julius to Clarence. Finally, a glimmer of progress... with Sir Clearwater's classified records at their fingertips, a few well-placed inquiries were bound to yield some fruit.

"I agree with Si- er, Clarence," Judith added enthusiastically, "If we are dealing with a Garo, there is a good chance its untimely demise may not be written down. Indeed, I find that more likely than the alternative. I believe this to be the work of an individual traitor rather than a rogue element within the Sheikah, and a forgotten operative would have more reason to bear a grudge rather than one we know to have died in service to the crown. Which brings me to my next point..."

Adopting a troubled expression, the priestess continued. "Whether or not we face a Garo, there yet remains the mystery of who the perpetrator's underlings are. After all, that would-be assassin was no Sheikah. Sir Surgate, I know not what you were able to gleam from our prisoner, but I have a theory all the same. Espionage is hardly my specialty, but I would imagine the Sheikah maintain their own information networks, with each agent having a pool of human assets to call upon: Tight-lipped mercenaries and soldiers skilled in clandestine warfare. Strictly off any official records, of course." Shuffling uncomfortably in her seat, Judith dropped her gaze. "Infiltration and murder would be second-nature to such men. Very, very dangerous folk."

"The more I think about it, the more certain I feel that these fiends are the remnants of a Sheikah's handpicked killers, fighting out of loyalty to their former master, or else because they were complicit in some unpardonable crime and need to vanish entirely. Perhaps that's why the library was targeted, to erase any evidence of their existence."

Realizing she had rattled on at length over what was essentially wild speculation on her part, Judith suddenly flushed and shut her eyes. Confident as she was in her guess, there was no telling what Sir Surgate had learned in her absence. "Um... Forgive me. I defer to you, Sir Surgate. You would know of such things better than I. Did you discover anything that might shed further light on this infernal puzzle?"
  7. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Well," he began, recalling the horrified screams of the infiltrator, "He screamed a lot at first. After some of the initial stuff, though, he was pretty loose lipped. Said he had some kind of... go-between. So, in a way, you're at least partially right about your theory-- even if it's likely not Sheikah that are perpetrating these crimes." He recalled all he knew about the infamous Shadow Spies. It was incredibly unlikely that it was a Sheikah.

"Anyways. That's about all he could tell me. He even lives in Castle Town-- been out a few times, as far as I can tell from any of the paperwork I've obtained with his name on it, but he's never been anywhere incredibly suspicious. So, what I'm saying, is that they're likely coming to Castle-Town to recruit those who are naturally more knowledgeable of major areas, and then likely training them and equipping them, as we saw." What a shame they weren't trained to resist the rather incredible interrogator he'd become.

"Other than that... He couldn't give us a clear description of who this 'go-between' was. I couldn't make it out quite so clearly between sobs of pain, but from what I did make out, is that it's someone different each time."

He looked at Clarence and Judith. "So that's the information I was able to actually obtain. Seems they paid him quite a large sum of money, too... Or they trained him to be like that. It's a thought, at least."

The only question, though, was what in Nayru's name they would do now.
  8. Squishy

Clarence winced at Julius' story, quietly listening to what he had extracted from the prisoner.

So it was clear they were dealing with an entire network. It was both good and bad news. Good in that a network meant that once they had a firm lead on it, uncovering the rest of it should not be impossible. Whereas a single operative would be nigh-impossible to capture. But the bad news was that there would be more people like this. A lot more. And by now they no doubt knew one of them was in trouble.

"Well... it seems we have a proper lead now. If we can somehow locate more members of this... network, then perhaps we might be able to get to the heart of it."

Clarence folded his hands. They were slowly putting more pieces of this puzzle together, but there were still many holes in the story. They could almost definitely cross Sheikah off the list of culprits, but that put them back to square one. Might it be a true Garo then, after all? But even that had to come from somewhere... Only rooting out the network would answer those questions.

"Although, there is one thing that still bothers me. Why? I mean, miss Vilcaron's explanation seems most logical, that they were looking to destroy any trace of their existence. But that does not answer why they wanted to do so in the first place. It... makes little sense. Sheikah or not, we still have very little information on their main motive."

What had they done that prompted them to that course of action? What had been so terrible that it had to be erased from the very records of history?
  9. Darth_Slaverus

Screaming? Sobs of pain? Judith would not have described herself as a squeamish individual, but Julius' visceral recounting of the interrogation greatly disturbed her, almost moreso than the information he had gained from it. The All-Night Mask would not have produced such agony... Just what had Sir Surgate done?! Sleep deprivation was one thing, cold-blooded mutilation was another! She would never have endorsed this approach if she had known what would come of it. Suddenly wracked with guilt for not speaking up and siding with Clarence when he had objected, Judith felt a need to distance herself from the investigation, or at least its official channels. The matter-of-fact way Julius had referred to the prisoner's cries suggested a darker side to the captain- one that he was no stranger to, which frightened her immeasurably.

Struggling to hide her discomfort, the priestess buried her face in her hands as she processed the rest of Julius' explanation, which presented several problems of its own.

"They're operating through intermediaries? And alternating contacts each time? AND they're based outside of Castle-Town?" If Judith was not already absolutely convinced that there was a deeper conspiracy at work, she was now. This level of secrecy was far beyond anything she would have expected from a common criminal organization, and the chances of the case being resolved anytime soon were rapidly diminishing. "... Is this even within your jurisdiction anymore, Sir Surgate?" She silently hoped the answer was no.

... Wait a minute...

Clutching her knees and pursing her lips in thought, Judith narrowed her eyes as she was struck by a burst of insight. "Well, regardless, something good may come out of this interrogation yet. Follow the rupee trail, Sir Surgate. If our culprits are hiring outside help, they must have a great deal of wealth at their fingertips. Ne'er-do-wells, as a rule, do not work for free, and skilled ones such as our attacker rarely come cheap. Be on the lookout for any unusual expenditures and focus your search accordingly."

Her confidence restored, Judith rose and bowed to her two companions. "In the meantime, I shall consult with my Sisters. They are extremely skilled in the art of magecraft, and may know of a spell or ritual that will allow us to divine precisely what happened two nights ago. I will return as soon as I can." The situation had escalated to the point where keeping her fellow priestesses out of the loop would be irresponsible and unwise. Much as she wished to be the heroine, the importance of seeing the perpetrators brought to justice and preserving what knowledge had survived far outstripped her foolish pride.

"Again, the Cult of Nayru wishes to pledge its fullest support in this matter, Clarence. We will do everything we can to aid in the reconstruction effort. We may be able to share copies of some of our own records with you... Not truly replacements, but similar enough to function as substitutes for what has been lost." It was a high-handed promise, but she was certain the Archcanoness would consent. "I intend to remain in the city for awhile longer, so do not hesitate to send for me if you require guidance. For the duration of my stay, I will gladly act as your liaison with the Cult. The same goes for you, Sir Surgate."
  10. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Is this even within your jurisdiction any more, Sir Surgate?"

He stopped for a second. There were a lot of variables that would influence whether or not he, as a law enforcement official, would have jurisdiction in the case beyond Hyrule Castle Town. But, if the root of the crimes were within his jurisdiction, then it would probably fall to him to bring this group to justice.

"I can't give a precise answer to that question. What I can say, however, is that regardless of whether it's exactly within my jurisdiction... They will send me to clean up whatever operations they have set up throughout Hyrule. They've infiltrated the Hyrule Guard, and burned down a library full of relatively old knowledge, along with housing an important magical artifact. Whatever their aim is, it will be dealt with swiftly, even if we seem to be at something of a dead end at the moment."

He listened to the rest of what Judith had to say to Clarence.

"I believe you know where to find me if you require any further assistance, Clarence. That said, we'll be dispensing units of Guardsmen to provide extra security over the rest of your family's assets. If we find any further unusual events or details, then you'll be hearing from the Guard as soon as we've confirmed the event."

He proffered his hand to Clarence for a handshake, before turning to Sister Judith and thanking her for her assistance in the matter. He jokingly remarked, "You'd have a future in the Guard if you ever decided the church wasn't for you."
  11. Squishy

"Yes, I thank you both for your help. I'm not quite sure what I would have done were I on my own in this." Clarence smiled at the other two. "And thank you, Miss Vilcaron. Any shred of knowledge we can save is more than welcome. As for the other archives... I do hope this was a singular occurrence. Though I suppose only time will tell."

For now, they could only wait and see where this investigation would lead them. For now, they had uncovered everything they could with their own abilities. Clarence shook the captain's hand, watching the man leave before turning to Judith.

"Miss Vilcaron? Before you leave, I... while I understand we're dealing with a criminal here, I have to admit I am... not entirely comfortable with our treatment of our prisoner." Clarence took a deep breath, steadying his voice. "Does the Cult of Nayru not have specialists in healing? He did what he did, but still... For my own peace of mind, I would like to see if there might be something we could do." Yes, he certainly would sleep better at night with the knowledge there was no screaming or sobbing man locked away deep in a dungeon- not if he should have been able to help. Criminal or not, torture was not something Clarence condoned.
  12. Darth_Slaverus

Although Julius' invitation had likely been made in jest, Judith's refusal was no less emphatic. The young woman managed a half-hearted, insincere chuckle as she shook her head so fast an uninformed onlooker might have mistaken her panic for a seizure.

"N-No, no... Serving Nayru is my calling. I cannot imagine doing anything else. B-Besides, I'd be a terrible guardswoman. I-I doubt I could even lift a real weapon... and the dress code does not agree with me." Of course, chief among her myriad of reasons why she would never have sought a career in the constabulary were her personal reservations about Julius' leadership, but she refrained from adding that, instead staring pointedly at her feet. Making a scathing indictment of his methods would go over badly... Reasoning that she would be free to act on her own initiative once Sir Surgate was gone, Judith held her tongue as the veteran knight wrapped things up and departed, offering only a brief curtsy in farewell.

When Clarence pulled her aside immediately thereafter to discuss the fate of the prisoner, the priestess paused, shooting a furtive glance at Julius' receding form, remaining silent until she was certain he would not overhear.

"You are... not alone in your concerns," Judith finally admitted, turning back to Clarence. "I can understand the Captain's anger, considering it was he who was targeted, but... this is a dark road, one I do not wish to see my kingdom go down." She sighed. "Many of my order do indeed specialize in healing and protective magics. But I too was complicit in this. Let me tend to our prisoner as penance. I am no expert, but I have mastered a cantrip that can mend minor wounds. By the grace of Mother Nayru, I should be able to ease his pain."

It was strange, she thought, how she and Clarence were so determined to provide succor to a man who, mere hours earlier, had struck with murderous intent. Judith reminded herself that his crimes had not been forgiven; she was extending Nayru's mercy to the prisoner, not absolution. Such was the Goddess' generosity, for She abhorred unnecessary suffering.
  13. Squishy

Clarence's features lit up in relief. It seemed the priestess' had similar feelings about their comrade's tactics. He smiled gratefully at Judith, though his eyebrows rose in surprise when she offered to be the one to go. He had not expected the woman the jump in so readily. Though really, from the way she had handled this investigation, he should have.

"Ah, perhaps I might go, in your stead? While I admit I do not know any healing spells at present, your time should go to consulting your sisters. I have no further pressing matters to attend to today... If it would not be too much of a hassle, perhaps you could teach me this cantrip?"

He had heard of some spells, yes, but never found the time nor opporturnity to learn one. Perhaps this was the right moment. However unpleasant the circumstances, a chance to broaden his knowledge on magic brought some much-needed joy to Clarence. And if it was a simple cantrip, it should certainly be possible. He prided himself on being a quick learner, after all.
  14. Darth_Slaverus

Fretfully chewing her lip as Clarence offered to take her place, Judith pondered the moral implications of delegating another to set her mistakes right. The good professor was not wrong to suggest doing so- her time would be better spent conferring with her Sisters- but would it really be alright for her to leave things as they were? She had often rallied against the idea of holding expedience above what was right... but now that she had come face-to-face with just such a problem, what had previously seemed like a clear-cut choice proved not so easy to make after all.

In the end, efficiency won out. Her Sisters needed to know what had happened here, and as a member of the Cult, it fell to her to deliver a report. She reminded herself that she was still doing her part to ease the prisoner's agony, as without her knowledge, Clarence would not be able to remedy his wounds. Moreover, with the arsonist still at large, it might be handy for the professor to possess a healing spell, in case they targeted his colleagues. These facts did little to alleviate her lingering guilt, but they were better than nothing.

"Very well. I shall entrust the matter of the prisoner to your capable hands, Clarence. Let me teach you how to cast Rejuvenation real quick, then we can both be on our way. Don't worry, this spell should not take long to learn, especially for one of your skill. The process is very simple, really..." The ethical dilemma had produced a gloomy aspect in Judith's voice, though she took small comfort in knowing that she was tutoring the headmaster of the Academy of Sages.

"First, you'll need some water. Any kind will do. Thankfully, it so happens that I brought my Bottomless Bottle with me today, so I can demonstrate. Pour it into your palm, then infuse it with magic... Like so..."