The Great Fairy Fountain [Clooby & BP]

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Blonde Panther, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Arifa winced hard, as if the sound was physically pressing her down, when one of the Shadow Beasts howled loudly in response to its comrade falling. Eyes screwed shut and her hands covering her ears, she shook like a reed until the last traces of the sound wave had fully vanished from the air around her. By then, she could stand straight and took a deep breath before she uncovered her ears. She had not been mistaken, then. These beings were like Fion in that they were antithesis to her own existence. But unlike the child, they were aggressive, actively hostile... pure darkness weaponized. If they were to touch her, would she erode? Corrode? What would happen if she touched them, she wondered?

But she wasn't at her full power, far from it. And the beasts were so solid, so physically present, in this realm... HER realm, really. Making a fist, she concentrated on what lay beyond the beasts. Her Fountain... she recognised the marble pillars and the faint buzzing of magic so similar to her own. If the beasts howled to revive their brethren as soon as one fell... Then they would have to fell all of them in one go. But that would require incredible coordination... "Sir Julius, inform your men to spread their efforts and try to deal the deathblow to all three simultaneously." She stelled herself. "It doesn't have to be perfect. We only need to buy enough time to make it inside the fountain. Once we're inside, I can tap into its power to help the men recover from any harm the beasts might have done."
  2. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    "Arms ready! Spin Attack positions!" He yelled out, feinting and locking the assaults of the monsters as his men scrambled into their positions. There were reasons that the Hyrule Guard usually deployed in smaller elements, and reasons as to why their ranks were usually staggered the way they were.

Arifa was about to see one of these reasons first hand.

Julius took the lead at the head of the roughly pentagonal shape they had formed. They moved as one being, as one person... crouching low, extending their blades shields as they assumed the stance of the ever-familiar Spin Attack, in hopes of slaying the three of the beasts at once. They began to advance, their slowed speeds but stowed Spin Attacks meaning that while it might take only a moment longer to get properly into position, it wouldn't matter. The beasts would be slain.

The beasts rushed at them, suddenly. One gigantic, all-consuming Spin Attack split the beasts into shreds, threatening to tear their very beings from this reality. Black blood sprayed in every direction, carried upon the current of the concurrent Spin Attack, painting the entire area in small dabs of darkness. Shreds of purple flesh flew to the ground, writhing... dying.

The beasts were slain.

Julius eyed his troops, standing resolute with their swords held by their side. "Excellent work," he said, noting the condition of each individual troop. He turned to Arifa.

"Now... you said something about helping my men recover from their exhaustion?"

He hadn't forgotten his true reason for coming here, but the wellness of his men always came before himself.
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Their power was incredible. Certainly, Arifa was sure there were spells that could easily have taken the beasts out, especially when cast by a dedicated light mage or a Great Fairy such as herself, but for a young race relying on mundane means... she was thoroughly impressed. "Yes!" she exclaimed when Julius reminded her of her promise, hovering past him. "Follow me, please. Don't be afraid, the darkness within the cave will subside after a few steps." She hovered into the cave, between the pillars, ahead of the man, raising a hand to open the way.

Once inside, she was greeted with the familiar black marble walls, shimmering with a faint orange light. In the middle of the cave, at the end of a shallowly descending staircase, was a large pond of water, a decagon framed by more marble and with large pillars, reaching up to the ceiling, at every corner. As she hovered down the staircase, throwing her thick brown mantle aside, the resident Great Fairy ran her hand over the pillars, feelings as if she'd been away from home far longer than she truly had been. However, something was wrong...

There was no power in the fountain. That was to be expected, but there were no Tiny Fairies, either... What had happened, Arifa wondered? Had her absence, and the subsequent loss of power in the fountain, caused her friends to wither? Had they been expended helping passing travellers, as she had ordered upon her departure? Or had something far more sinister happened..?

Sighing, she decided that she would find out later. For now, there was a troop of Hylian warriors behind her waiting to be healed. She stepped into her fountain, hovering a little higher and turning around to the entrance. Spreading her wings a little further and her arms out in a welcoming gesture, she spoke the words she had been speaking for years before she had left, even as she infused the water below her with healing powers once more.

"Welcome, travellers. I am the Great Fairy of Guidance. Come, let me ease your weariness."
  4. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    The Guardsmen waded into her water, feeling practically immediately refreshed.

Julius approached Arifa-- now the Great of Guidance. "So," he began, looking around the fountain, "should I be calling you the Great Fairy of Guidance, now, or is it still fine for me to address you as Arifa? If you don't mind my asking." He wasn't sure of how much concentration this actually took to do; he wasn't even sure if it was a spell, or... what.

"Anyways, as to the particulars of my curse... I can divulge this information freely, now, I think. Essentially, there is an... entity-- I know not if he is considered by some means a deity or otherwise-- but, he... it is known as The Twister. It offers you to make a wager, and play its game... It takes knowledge from you-- or one of your possessions, or even companions," he added, noting how he lost Lexi... That was almost a year ago, now, he realized. "Anyways, it takes whatever you give up -- sometimes, you get a choice... sometimes you don't-- and it... remakes them, somehow. So, at one point... I decided to offer my body. Now, usually, he gives you relatively vague but ultimately clear instructions on how to return whatever you wagered to its prior state... but he did no such thing with mine."

He stopped for a second, noting all of his companions sitting facing them. "So, I figured that a Great Fairy would probably be the best choice for this kind of thing. And, when I was studying some of the lore in the libraries about... Great Fairies, I came across your title, and general location. After doing some scouting and local research, I gathered my group and we headed in... only to run into you. I suppose, that if worse came to worst, you at least might be able to advise me of how to return from this... sickly, marred form."
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    As Julius explained his situation, Arifa lowered herself until she stood on the shallow water, herself. She nodded when he concluded his tale. "I understand. I've heard of this 'Twister' before..." She lightly placed a hand on his face. "Although I have a few ideas, I must warn you that it is entirely possible they might not work. The Twister is an entity beyond mortal understanding; and sadly, as long-lived as we are, us Great Fairies are no more immortal than the younger races. Its power may well surpass ours." She shut her eyes, concentrating her power. "That said, you've aided me in reaching my Fountain, even before you knew who I was. 't Would be poor form if I didn't at least try."

With her power concentrated near the ends of her fingertips, she exhaled. "Sir Surgate, listen closely. I am going to cast the most powerful healing magic at my disposal. Doing so will render me unconscious, but do not worry about me when that happens- it is normal and does me no harm. The fountain will remain active so long as I physically touch it, so your men may continue to use it." She frowned, her face serious as she held off on the spell. "However, this spell is not designed to reverse curses, and combined with the Twister's unknowable powers, well... There is a good chance it will fail. I know of an alternative, but I cannot perform it myself. It is called the Song of Healing, and exists to heal a troubled spirit. It may be able to reach where my tears cannot. Do you understand?"

Upon seeing his confirmation, Arifa shut her eyes once more and concentrated on the disgusting skin under her fingertips. "Very well. In that case... I shall sleep." With that, she cast her Fairy Tears spell, channeling every bit of healing magic she had into Julius's being. Seconds after, she felt her hand breaking the contact as she pitched forward, unconscious before she landed in the waters of her fountain with a small 'splash.'
  6. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    Immediately, Julius felt the cleansing light of the spell's effect untwist some kind of knot inside of him. Not literally inside of him, but... It was something deeper. Something within his spirit.

"We guard her till she wakes, then we set out," he commanded his men, already remembering the way out of here. He looked towards the ceiling of the cavern she resided in.

So this was a Fairy Fountain. Huh.

--------------------------------------------------

The Great Fairy awoke, and Julius thanked her for her assistance. "If, for whatever reason in the future, you might need assistance, seek me out in Hyrule Castle-Town. Surely you know where it lies," he said, shaking Arifa's hand. "Ask around for Surgate, and you'll run into me-- somewhere. Whether it's office or forge, I doubt this is the last we'll see of each other." And, with that, he and his small section Guardsmen headed back through the path they had come here on, ready to return to Castle Town.

Besides, perhaps this Great Fairy would prove a valuable ally in the war against Ganon, should she choose to get involved.
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Arifa watched the men leave, making a note to remember his name. If she did need any help, Julius Surgate could promise to be a powerful and valuable ally. But as it stood, she had other, more pressing concerns... She turned back to look at her fountain. What had happened here? Had the barrier failed, and if yes, why? And what had those shadowy creatures been doing in the Lost Woods? How had they gotten here?

There were too many unanswered questions. She needed to find the answers to them before she would resume her initial search...

But for now... she thought, yawning, she might need more rest.

*~End of Thread~*