The Deadliest of All

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by UnnamedDude, Apr 27, 2014.

1. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    There was a shiver in Leo's spine, but it would be inappropriate to say it "ran." It was more like... crawling, slipping like cold slime. And it refused to leave. The sensation was akin to how he imagined a sludge-covered millipede clutching onto his back would feel. Something about this place just gave him the worst of feelings.

He thought he could hear bits and pieces of the voices here and there. "...who... ...you... ...where..." and other such fragmented questions came to him on the wind. He shuddered from cold and fear.

"Um... sir?" he asked quietly, breaking the agonizing slowness and silence of their travel. "H-have you ever dealt with... um, ghosts, sir?" Here he actually failed to keep the quiver from his voice. They were surely just superstition. It was silly to expect a hardened warrior to think anything of them, right?
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Guzol was surprised by Leopold's sudden question. He cocked his head, thinking and nodding slowly before responding.

"Well, depends on what you call a 'ghost', but I've seen some pretty weird things while on duty. Fought Stalfos, Poes, even a haunted suit of armour once... Or was that a Darknut? I don't remember, I do know it nearly cut me in half and it hurt a lot."

He was glad for the conversation, as it helped him take his mind off their less than pleasant surroundings.

"Though I have to say I've never encountered anything like this... With the... voices, and everything." He added, suddenly sounding less chipper. The voices were clearer now, and Guzol was able to make out a few words what they were saying. And desperately wishing he could not.

Whatever the story was the voices were telling, the words 'home' and 'fire' seemed to come up more often, along with a terrible sense of guilt. Guzol grit his teeth, trying to push away the feeling that was creeping up on him, but all he could do was mutter an almost inaudible 'sorry', though he was not quite sure to whom he was speaking.
  3. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    "W-wh-wh-what?!"

That... that didn't help at all! That just made everything worse! Now Leo could swear he saw the shadows dancing at the edges of the torch's soft, and from what he felt like, increasingly feeble glow. He made a mental note to never ask an adventurer more seasoned than him if he had any scary stories. Campfire or no, it was a horrible way to spare his nerves.

He shuddered even more violently. Only a moment had passed before he realized that there was a reason other than fear for it; there was something he was sensing. Air currents were disturbed. "Sir, get do--"

He never finished his sentence. He immediately felt a pressure not unlike being punched in his stomach, impacting with enough force to send him hurtling to the ground. He looked up through the dark to see what looked like a heavy-cloaked figure through the darkness.
  4. Squishy

Things were happening so fast Guzol never really stood a chance to do something.

Leo had not even finished shouting before something tackled him to the ground, leaving the young guard in a heap on the ground. Whatever had hit him was fleeing almost immediately, a cloak whirling through the dark, but not without a loud, taunting cackle echoing throughout the cave.

And that same cackle stirred something deep inside Guzol's mind, awakened a fury so fierce it felt as if it had been building up for years, numbing all other feelings and thoughts.

He grabbed his spear off the ground, which he had dropped in shock, and took off after the mysterious figure, completely ignoring his colleague and the lantern he had left behind.
  5. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    "N-no..." Leo croaked, trying to catch his breath again. That attack had knocked the wind out of his lungs. He spent several tense moments in the dark hoping for his blasted body to accept air again, not knowing if anything would leap out and be upon him. Yet, once more, he was met with nothing but agonizing nothingness. He knew there was something in this cave, what just happened proved it. So why wouldn't it just come out already, just let him see it, let him fight it?

He got up and looked around. With a slow realization that made a hard, cold lump in his stomach, he noted that he was alone now. In the dark. With a thing that had presumably killed a lot of other people, that could not be seen, and had demonstrated that it could attack him any time it pleased.

The young soldier was unsure what scared him most: the situation he was currently in, or the thought that, maybe, whatever was behind this entire case was intelligent enough to consciously put him in it. Likewise, he was aware that his own mind would be far deadlier than any beast in this cave, but that knowledge was not enough to quell the rebellious fear that gripped him.

He took up the lantern that his senior had dropped and looked around. Where had they even come from? Where were they headed? He found no real answer, only moss and occasionally the drop of water. With a feeling not unlike having weights attached gradually to his body, he came to the conclusion that there was only one way to proceed.

He closed his eyes and listened.

Then he followed the direction in which the voices grew more audible. This was almost certainly the same course of action that the others had followed, and he did not know if that was good or bad.
  6. Squishy

Guzol was running, stumbling through the darkness, fueled by adrenalin and a burning hatred. Though where exactly it came from, he would not be able to tell. The voices around him where hissing now, almost shouting, screeching in tongues no one had heard for ages.

But the guardsman ignored them all. It was as if every feeling and thought in his mind had been replaced by all-consuming anger and a will- no a need- to follow that... It had to have fled somewhere deeper into the cave, the coward.

Guzol gritted his teeth. He would find it soon enough.
  7. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Leopold Puerulus had many thoughts as he advanced, all of them unpleasant and varying degrees of frightening. But among them, the scariest one was this:

What if their separation was intentional?

He did not want to consider that possibility. Being stuck in an evil, potentially soul-stealing cave was awful enough. Being stuck in an evil, soul-stealing cave with hostile creatures in it was worse. Being in an evil soul-stealing cave with hostile, intelligent creatures ticked just about all the boxes on the checklist of things that made it okay to run far away from and lob powder kegs at problems.

But considering the position they were in, he had to consider it. And how to counter it? He hadn't a single clue. He was still a novice mage... all he really knew was how to channel magic into his attacks, and how to sense it. There was definitely something magic and very malicious in here, but his senses told him only the presence of it, not the location.

He forged ahead, taking care only to pay attention to the volume of the voices. He did not need something wicked corrupting his thoughts somehow, and he hoped his senior would have the same presence of mind.

Of course, had he given the actual content of the whispers he may have noticed how personal some of the messages were becoming. Even as they spoke in several tongues at once, they poked and prodded and searched for something to latch onto...
  8. Squishy

Still driven by anger, Guzol stormed after the hooded figure, who always seemed to remain just on the edge of his vision, just out of reach, no matter how hard he ran.

But suddenly, his target stopped. The guardsman slammed his heels into the ground to stop, immediately bringing his spear down for an attack.

The figure dodged his blows with ease, toying with him, taunting him. Guzol's breath started to become ragged, his limbs started to feel heavy with exhaustion, his movements gradually becoming weaker and less co-ordinated.

After having dodged him for a while, the hooded one spun around, laughing to himself, and then vanished in thin air, leaving the Hylian all alone in the dark. Guzol whipped around wildly, looking for the other, even though he could see nothing this deep into the cave and without a lantern.

The latter problem was solved soon enough, however. A small light bounced off the solid rock walls, growing in size and intensity, as well as being accompanied by footsteps. But this new presence did little to comfort the tired guard. In fact, what he saw instilled a horror in him unlike anything he had ever felt before.

For the one that had stepped out of the shadows, was none other than himself.
  9. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Leopold could hear the sounds of a pursuit slowing down up ahead. That sounded like his compatriot, and for that he was glad. Maybe he'd come to his senses and realized that going on ahead, isolated, was a terrible idea in a place that may or may not have been haunted by evil spirits and maybe worse.

This hope lent him relief when he saw a human figure up ahead. He, too, had begun to wear himself out and lose breath, but his adrenaline had sustained his rush until now. The boy bent over, panting and trying to catch his breath. "Oh... oh goddesses, I'm... I'm glad you're safe..." he managed in between gasps.

It was then that he closely examined the scene before him, and all sense of relief immediately died a horrible death. Wordless horror and alarm crossed his face as he knew it stained his heart. This was... unnatural. This was... evil. He didn't know how he knew but this shadowy double exuded an aura of absolute wrongness.
  10. Squishy

Guzol was frozen to the spot, staring bug-eyed at this doppelganger. From its menacing glowing red eyes to the wicked grin on its face, the entire being radiated pure evil. Suddenly he was very glad he had drunk very little that morning, as the guard did not bring a pair of spare pants with him.

"A-are you... me...?" He asked, his voice hoarse.

The other tilted its head, the grin growing even wider.

"No, you are me, dumbass. It goes either way." The shadow, as that was how Guzol could best describe it- as clone sounded too... weird- shrugged, leaning nochalantly on its weapon. "So how does it feel, huh? Being alive while everyone you love isn't? Remember how they sounded, burning with the village?"

Guzol turned pale as a sheet. The other simply smiled at his horror.

"I've been with you up until the moment you set foot in this cave. I know all about the crippling guilt and masks you wear to hide it. Don't worry. In fact, I can help you get rid of it. Forever."

And then, without warning, the shadow lunged at Guzol.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  11. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    A savage elbow flung by a very scared boy came flying at the shade. Equal parts actual intent and blind panic powered the swing, sending the apparition reeling. Fast, heavy breathing. "D-don't be deceived!" Leopold warned. "It's just a monster, just like everything else." As he said this, the shadow regained its footing...

And it laughed. "Oh, is that what you think?" The tone was cruel, mocking. Leo did his best to block it out. He lunged forward again to punch it...

And found another arm, mirror to his own, extending from the darkness. He moved to catch it with one arm, and again a ghostly limb mimicked him. He burned his magic for more impact, and still he found magic rising to greet him. But it was different from his. It was... perverse, wrong somehow. He leapt back.

"You saw it, didn't you?" Leo wasn't sure what he meant. But then he realized it was holding something: an ominous mirror, looking far older than any he had seen. A shade resembling him walked out of it, next, following the arms.

And this Leo wore an evil grin. "Hey, other. Did you miss me?"
  12. Squishy

Guzol was vaguely aware of someone else appearing behind him. Was there someone else with him in the cave? He wasn't sure. In fact, he wasn't quite sure of anything anymore. Only that he was facing a shadowy version of himself, and the immense sense of guilt he had tried to push away all his life.

Much time to think was out of the question, though. Although his copy's initial attack had been stopped, it wasted no time in trying again, and again, and again. Guzol needed his head to block the attacks, waiting for the moment to land an attack of his own.

But fate had other plans. Tired from running and his mind still hazy with anger, fear and despair, Guzol missed a vital clue to his opponent's move. He dropped his spear too late, and the other took the chance to plant an armoured foot in his stomach, sending the guardsman tumbling down another tunnel, into the dark.

"Oh, he fell. Whatever shall I do?" The copy asked in a mocking tone, smiling malovently at Leo. "Shall I go after him now he's hurt and defenseless? Or shall I see how strong you are?"
  13. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Leo moved to attack again, and received a fist to the side of his face for the trouble. He stumbled as Guzol's twin sneered and moved in pursuit of the original. Then the shadowy boy in front of him spoke.

"Ah-ah-ah. Where do you think you're going? Do you honestly think you can help him like that?" Leo's shade was mocking, infuriating in its repose. It didn't pretend to be concerned about the person in front of him, didn't pretend like it was threatened by his presence at all. It scarcely even saw him.

Well, no matter. He'd just have to tear it down so he could get to--

"Let me guess. You want to go run off to your 'superior.' Is that all you can do? Can't you just think for yourself?"

The young guardsman was shocked, not only by the striking accuracy of the assessment but with the abruptness of the shift in tone the other him had. The voice had gone from relaxed casual taunting to cold and focused cruelty. There was something like hatred in the voice and Leo wasn't sure how to respond. So his clone kept talking.

"You'll excuse it as your duty again, won't you? That's what a guard does, what a soldier does, follow orders. Why don't you just come clean and admit you don't know any other way to live?"

A thin layer of distress began to form at those words, but Leo forced it down. He scanned his double for weaknesses, and as he did he became aware of a savage smile from it.

"So you're finally taking me seriously... good. There's no point to killing you otherwise!"
  14. Squishy

Even though he had crashed onto the hard bedrock of the cavern, Guzol's copy was not going to give him a single second of rest. It planted a heavy foot on the guardsman's chest, smiling down at him.

"I thrive on your negative thoughts and emotions, you know. And I've got this handy power of warping and twisting your little mind, given to me by my lovely master."

Guzol's eyes widened, prompting a dark chuckle from his copy. It grew bored of pinning him to the ground with a foot, and instead grabbed the dark-haired man by the collar, pulling him close to its face.

"Surprised at my abilities? Or that we're not the only danger in here? All that rage, the guilt... It will be all you can feel, and then I will kill you, and take your place. I wonder how well I would do as a guard, hmm?"

Literally staring death in the face was a surprisingly sobering experience, Guzol noticed, as he watched his copy talk to him. Somewhere, in the back of his mind, he could feel a sense of clarity returning. He struggled to come to his senses, trying to push away the thoughts his copy was projecting in his mind. He could not give in to it. He had to fight back. Which is precisely what he did.

His mind too muddled for words, the guardsman weakly lifted his arm, swaying as he balled his fingers into a fist.

And promptly smashed said fist into his copy's face.
  15. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Elsewhere, palms and fists and legs flared with magic and raw emotion. They fought for entirely different goals; one for duty, and the other for freedom.

"Come on now," said the darkness, as the two broke off from colliding fists once more, "Why are you even fighting me?"

Leopold didn't answer.

"I know you want this. You can't tell me you've never thought about it. All those debts they left you, those worthless people who left you behind... You can't tell me you've never wanted to pay them back."

They had started circling each other, now. Two hounds searching for openings. Leo put his all into finding one. His opposite number set about creating one with this... talk. There was an undercurrent of malice to it. True? Maybe. Leo was trying not to concern himself with it right now.

"Ignore me? Right, right... that's what you always do, isn't it? Just hope all this... goes away. You know what? Screw you! I'm sick of it, you're sick of it, and it's about time we did something about it. If you won't, I will. I'll take your place and do what you should have done so many years ago..."

The double went forward with a punch. The first thought that went through Leo's head as his arms came up to block it was that it was much fiercer than it should have been.
  16. Squishy

Guzol's fist connected with a satisfying crack. The moment he broke his copy's nose, more clarity seemed to return to his mind, as if a veil was lifted. He broke free of his other self's hold, struggling to his feet and creating distance between them. The guardsman picked up his spear, that he had dropped in his tumble down, seemingly having regained some of his fighting spirit.

"I will never let you take my place." Guzol spat, his voice sounding raspy. He was exhausted, and his bravado felt more like bluff than actual power. But if he could make himself believe he could hold on just a bit longer...

His copy glared at him, holding its nose.

"You are going to regret that. I will make you regret that." The shadow slowly advanced on Guzol. Was he imagining it, or was the cave around them truly growing even darker? "Do you really think you can still win this? Look at yourself man! You're barely standing! Losing is all you do, all you've done your entire life! Your family, your home..."

While his shadow ranted at him, Guzol dragged his foot back, preparing himself. He had one shot at this, while his copy was distracted, he had to keep a clear mind. Don't listen to it... With a loud cry, Guzol leapt up, swinging his spear high above his head, before turning it down and ramming it deep into his copy's skull.