Tanglewood

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Eevachu, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Tanglewood is a material which can be used by a Woodworker. It appears as a piece of darkly colored wood covered with vine pods, though the coloring itself depends on the area it is harvested from.

Equipment made from Tanglewood is enveloped in numerous autonomic vines which are about a meter each in length. These vines are quite strong and not directly controlled, instead responding based on the user's general emotions and personality. For example, if the wearer holds violent or hateful feelings toward an individual, the vines would typically lash out and attempt to constrict that individual if in reach. If the wearer is particularly comfortable or attuned to the vined equipment, it is possible to command them to do certain actions, such as grab on to a particular object. However, while physically strong, the vines are not intelligent nor dextrous; while they could grab a sword, complex or difficult actions such as swordfighting are beyond their capabilities. Additionally, the vines are not especially durable when compared to normal vines, but their regenerative abilities are extraordinary, as sliced or torn vines seem to grow back within minutes. The wood making up the equipment itself is durable, but not anything remarkable.

While weapons and other such objects are feasible with Tanglewood, the vines on such objects are typically far weaker due to their smaller size and mass. Due to this, most weapons made of Tanglewood are largely ineffective.

The Tanglewood treasure is an original creation by one of Hyrule Castle's members. Its concept is credited to Eevachu and Clooby.

(This was written with the current system in mind, but if you just want to make it the new system, then just change Woodworker to Outfitter)
    Cloud likes this.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Seems pretty cool. I am a little concerned that having a dozen coiling tentacles under one's command--ones powerful enough to choke someone, apparently--might be a bit powerful. It'd be good to have some kind of benchmark to understand how powerful their gripping or pulling strength is. You seem to imply the vines are pretty fragile as well, which also makes up for their power.

I've been working on a bulk edit to crafting--including all the materials and Botany. Because of that, I probably won't add this until that happens.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...Double post. :tpr: Here is Tanglewood.

After talking with Cloud about it a while ago, I think we decided to limit their speed--so they're more like slow, creeping tentacles, but a bit stronger than you initially described. It should keep them suitable enough that, say, you wouldn't want to get near someone wearing these in the Arena, but you still could feasibly get a melee attack in without regretting it.

As usual, let me know if I fucked anything up. :tpr: