Stopping a bombing [closed]

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Tsubori, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

She'd finally made it... She was in Hyrule castle town, and after the whole fiasco with the shadow temple, she knew here would be a better place to start wreaking havoc in the name of Ganon. Upon walking through the city, a few posh individuals were waving some party in a mansion in the faces of other people. Quite a few actually... Harena's mind started turning, and she eventually had her plan.

She got an inn room for all her things, ensure the door was locked as she left. If anyone saw all her books, she'd be done for before she could even begin.

She went through the market, looking for what she wanted. Eventually, her eyes fell upon the thing she knew would work. She walked up to a Goron, and his eyes sparkled as he saw a potential customer. "Hello ma'am, how can I help you? Maybe a few bombs?" 

Harena's hand pointed to a powder keg in the front. "Two of those. How much will that be?" The Goron turned to a deku scrub in the corner.

"Reginald, how much are two powder kegs?" the Goron asked quizzically.

The deku scrub thought for a moment. "Two kegs at 15 rupees each, so 30 rupees."

Harena put down the money and turned back to the Goron. "I'll be back at about 10 or so tonight to pick them up. Carrying around high explosives in broad daylight is somewhat suspicious, and people won't like it." 

The Goron nodded understandingly. "Of course. I'll start making preparations immediately." He then walked off to go do whatever he needed to. Harena left the store, figuring she'd do a little browsing. She was in the capital of the known world, they must have some decent stuff to look at.
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

The market. It was a place Idris didn't visit often. Today was an exception, as he was picking up a costume from the tailor's for the ball he would attend tonight.
    The tailor's shop was in one of the buildings on the edge of the plaza where the weekly market was held. On the way there he passed a stand with various explosives like bombs and powder kegs, where he spotted a Gerudo speaking with the owner of the stand. It seemed she was buying powder kegs. Idris didn't pay it much attention, the Gerudo was probably trying to blow some poor monster to smithereens later. He kept his eyes fixed on the sign outside the tailor's shop.

It was dark inside. The blinds were down and someone had lit a few candles.
    "Hello?" Idris knocked on the counter. A curtain was pulled aside and a small, old man shuffled into the shop. He adjusted his glasses to take a good look at his costumer, and straightened himself when he saw who that costumer was.
    "Ah! Young master Johansson! I've got your costume ready! Wait, I'll go and take it..." The man went back behind the curtain and came back a few moments later with a package wrapped in brown paper. "The embroidery turned out quite beautiful, if I may be so bold. I think it's very becoming of someone with your looks and complexion."
  3. Tsubori

Harena walked through the streets, looking at all these people. Monsters, every one of them. Leeches, feeding off of other people's loss. Especially the nobles. She saw an obese, rich looking noble walk right past a homeless child, not even sparing a single glance, much less a rupee. She saw another one walking with a servant in tow, carrying all of her things like a pack mule. And another, picking up his fancy clothes for his fancy party, and not giving a damn about anyone else. 

Yes... This world would prosper tonight when she annihilated them at this party... She walked into the weapon store, looking at their weapons, and though she was only window shopping, she still enjoyed seeing all the fine weaponry. Eventually, she found herself in the tailor store Idris was in, and she was looking around at all the fine cloaks. "Fashionable and practical... Nice..." She muttered, feeling the material.
  4. Squishy

"Right, right." Idris grabbed the package without so much as even looking at it and tossed a pile of rupees on the counter. "Keep the change." And with that he briskly walked out of the store, bumping into a Gerudo who was browsing capes. "Sorry, ma'am." He didn't look back and hurried homewards, he didn't have time for other people today. The ball tonight was, sadly, an exception. One that he wasn't looking forward to.

'I'd much rather fight Dead Hand again than spent a night with all those idiots...'

Parties were just not Idris' thing. In fact, he loathed them. He wasn't interested in a good reputation, a suitable partner for marriage or being well-known among the other nobles. He just wanted to be left alone.
    Before he knew it he had reached the gates surrounding his home and went inside. Servants were running to and from, carrying rolls of silk, boxes with hair ornaments and other things his mother and sisters needed for their outfits. He headed straight for his room, knowing that noone would bother him there and dropped the package on his bed.

'Right. Let's see...' He carefully removed the brown paper to reveal the costume inside the wrapping. It was made out of a beautiful, deep blue velvet, embroidered with silver stars. Idris had to admit, the old tailor had done his work well. It was indeed a beautiful costume.
  5. Tsubori

Harena glared daggers at the man who bumped into her. It was the noble she'd seen in here too. She placed down the cloak she was looking at, and thought to kick some manners into the arrogant, snooty bastard. She decided against it, as she'd just draw attention to herself. No matter. If he was at the party, he'd die with the others. 

The gerudo saw that it was getting darker. Better go get ready... She walked out of the store and back to the inn room. She went up to her room, getting her belongings. Prior to putting on the gauntlet, she took her dagger and cut across her hand, then clenched the blood in her fist. Harena mentally did a prayer with her eyes closed and let the blood fall. She then cleaned up the cut and donned her equipment. 

She stopped by the equipment store to pick up the powder kegs, and headed towards the mansion on the empty streets.
  6. Squishy

"Idris! Idris!"

Before he could say 'come in', his door flew open and one of Idris' sisters barged in.
    "...Ah, Arianna." Idris gave his youngest sister a disdainful look. "And what brings you here?"

"How do I look?" Arianna twirled around to show her dress, though Idris wasn't very interested. He stared at his reflection in the mirror, wiping a speck of dirt from his face and putting a loose strand of hair behind his ear. "Idriiiss..." His sister whined behind him.

"You look fine. Why do you even ask?" He whipped around, trying to hide his irritation. "You always look fine, don't worry."

Arianna's face brightened. "Really?" She looked at herself in the mirror and flung her arms around Idris. "Thank you! You look really fine too, the blue suits you."

"...Right." Idris patted Arianna's hair awkardly. "I think I hear mother calling us. The carriage is ready." He unwrapped his sister's arms. "You go, I'll come down in a minute." Arianna waltzed out of the room and skipped down the stairs.
    Idris threw one last look in the mirror and before heading downstairs, slipped a dagger into his boot. You'd never know what could happen, even at just a chique party.
  7. Tsubori

Harena neared the mansion, and the party had already begun. She could hear a ton of chatter from inside. Two guards stood outside the gate, and Harena walked up nervously, hoping to slip by. No luck though, as one put his hand out to stop her. “So, this the alcohol for the party?” He asked casually, to which Harena merely nodded. “How about it, hun? Can we have a drink?”

Harena coyly shook her head. “But the nobles would know it was opened, then I’d be on the bad end of a nobleman’s temper. And we don’t want that, do we?”

Both guards agreed, so Harena continued to throw off any more suspicion. “When I bring it inside, I’ll check if I can get some out to you two, okay?” She walked off thinking the typical ‘Suckers.’

When she was in the gardens before the door, she went around the sides, looking for a side entrance. She couldn’t be sure, but she thought it might have been that man from the tailor’s that had been nearby as she brought it up the path. Oh well, the fool wouldn’t know any better either. She started tracing around the building until she found a trapdoor to the cellar. There was a ton of decrepit stuff around, but that’s not what she cared about. She placed down the first powder keg right next to the main support. From the sound of banging above, this is right where people were walking over. Perfect. She took the fuse wire that the bombmaker had thrown in with the deal, and laid out a decent length, lighting it with a match. Forty minutes worth. That should give her enough time to find the other spot to place it, and get the hell out.

She saw a large pile of tablecloths and threw one over the remaining keg, the other over her own bomb, ensuring the cloth didn’t kill the fire. She then casually used her cart to bring it through the mansion for a decent position. Most people simply saw her as a servant, if a more attractive one. She swore to herself a few times that she’d received slaps on the rear and such from disgusting bastards. Repeating her prayers in her head, she ignored them.
  8. Squishy

They had arrived at the party. Idris helped his sisters out of the carriage and followed them inside. Before stepping through the door he thought he saw a familiar flash of red walking into the garden, but when he turned his head he saw nothing.

"Saw something you liked?" His elder sister, Isobel asked.

Idris huffed. "There's nothing to like here." He replied. "They're all narrow-minded buffoons. I don't know why you ever agreed to be engaged to one of them."

"Jeran's different. You know that." Isobel said indignantly, touching the ring on her finger briefly, not hearing Idris' remark 'different my arse'. They continued into the mansion, arriving in the great hall where the ball was held. Countless pairs were whirling around the dancefloor in a waltz, a colourful whirwind of silk, velvet and lace. Isobel quickly found her fiancé and was swept onto the dancefloor, while his other sisters also found dancepartners quite quickly and his parents went to chat up with other nobles. Soon Idris found himself standing alone among the groups of chatting and laughing nobles.
    He ignored the many, meaningful looks he got from the young noblewomen around him, he didn't feel like dancing with anyone today, leave alone one of those dumb girls raised only to be the perfect, obedient wife. Instead he kept himself occupied with observing the other guests at the party, but even that started to bore him.
    'They're all so predictable...' He had already figured out all the affairs and gossip last year, and it seemed not much had changed.
  9. Tsubori

Harena walked through the halls with the keg, wanting to ensure she chose a suitable spot. It should be a basement as well, probably near another major support. She neared another staircase down, but heard a soft voice behind her. “Samantha?” Harena kept walking down the stairs, hoping there was no confrontation here. Now in another basement, she turned around to the girl, probably about 17 or 18. She had followed, a confused look on her face. She was dressed in clothes that made the gerudo think this girl was a maid or something.

“Oh… sorry, I thought you were someone else.” She stepped a bit closer, noticing the keg. “What’s that? Wait…” A confused look went across her face. And that was all it took. “Who are you? You aren’t a servant… You shouldn’t be he-“ She was interrupted with terrified eyes as she watched Harena’s knife retreat back to her hidden sheath. She reached up, feeling the thin slice along her throat, then putting it in front of her face, seeing the blood on her hand. Tears began to form as she fell to the floor, blood seeping out in a pool. Harena took the body, hiding it under a piece of furniture.

She would NOT allow anyone to interfere. Better to slit her throat now than risk her own death for it. Now with no distractions, Harena walked over to the final powder keg. Good thing too, as the cart she was using was worn. The wheel on one corner snapped off and Harena’s eyes went wide as the keg started moving towards the ground. She dashed forward as quickly as possible, grabbing the explosive to prevent it from hitting the ground. She sighed in relief, knowing she wouldn’t be standing here if she’d missed that.

What had it been now? Five minutes or so? She cut the needed fuse, setting and lighting it. She also bent down, taking the annoying girl’s key. That’d let her escape from anywhere. She walked up the stairs, ensuring the door was locked behind her. Walking through the hall towards the back entrance, Harena failed to notice that when she’d grabbed the keg, some gunpowder had gotten onto the back of her arm, a small amount flitting onto the floor every now and then.
  10. Squishy

Idris had left the ballroom and wandered the halls of the mansion, looking for a door into the garden. The smell of perfume, candles burning and sweating dancers gave him a headache.

He wandered into the kitchen, where the cooks were busy preparing tonight's banquet. The staff gave him weird looks when he passed by but Idris didn't seem to notice it. He was focused on his mission to find a way out.

The backdoor of the kitchen led to yet another hallway instead of a way out. It was there that he noticed some small flecks of dust on the floor. That shouldn't be there, the servants were supposed to keep the mansion clean, the owner of the mansion was known for his tidiness and strictness towards servants about cleaning. Either one of the servants didn't seem to mind losing his or her job, or something else was going on.
    Idris swiped his finger across the dust and examined it. It was too black to be dust, and it didn't smell like it either.

'Gunpowder...?'

What was that doing here? And there was a very small, almost invisible trace of gunpowder along the whole hallway. Idris started to follow it, this couldn't be right. The trace stopped in front of a door, and probably went on beyond it. He hesitated for a moment with his hand on the doorknob. Then he pushed the door open.
  11. Tsubori

Now the crowd had thinned to nothing, silence filling the halls. Harena looked down, seeing that she was leaking powder off her arm, and brushed it off hurriedly. She looked nervously behind her, seeing if anyone had followed her. New plan, use the top floor windows to escape.

She ran towards the stairway, and it was locked. She pulled the maid's key out if her cleavage, using it to unlock the door and tucking it back in. She heard a door open behind her, but she wasted no time. Turning would guarantee the person seeing her, and if she was lucky, he didn't know what was going on. 

She dashed up the stairs, rounding a corner and waiting there, ready to pounce given any provocation.
  12. Squishy

The door led to another hall, with stairs at the end. It had become completely silent, the music from the ballroom and the hustle from the kitchen didn't reach this part of the mansion. It was a little too quiet, even for Idris. It was the sort of quiet that was usually followed by something horrible.

For a moment the thought of going back to his family and just going home crossed him, but this was just a bit too mysterious for Idris, and he wouldn't back down from a mystery, even if it meant serious injury, or worse. Somewhere, deep inside, the thought of something happening made him happy, at least it would make the evening interesting.

Idris crept up the stairs, making sure not to make any noise and kept his thunder spell ready, just in case. He stopped at the top of the stairs, listening for any sound. He took a deep breath, held his hands up ready for an attack and walked around the corner.

"Somebody here?"
  13. Tsubori

Harena knew that with her killing anyone around here, the chances went up of her getting caught. Thus, when she heard Idris coming around the corner, she pretended to be a maid. She walked out from around the corner casually, but her heart sank when she saw that it was the same man as before in the store she'd bought the powder kegs from. Maybe he wouldn't remember her... So she said to him in as polite of a voice as possible, “I'm sorry sir, but the party is exclusively downstairs, I'll have to ask you to go back down there.” All she could hope was that he believed her disguise.
  14. Squishy

"...I'll have to go ask you to go back down there."

Idris stared at the young woman in front of him. It was the Gerudo he had bumped into earlier today. But what was she doing here, in a completely desolated part of the mansion?

"I'm not looking for the party." He said, crossing his arms. His mind was racing, trying to think up all the possible reasons why she could be here. She wasn't a noble, that for sure. Muscular arms, calloused hands, she was either a worker or a warrior.
    "And besides, what are you doing here then? You're not part of the staff." Another possibility off the list. Maids didn't buy powder kegs on a market. Then Idris noticed her hands, or more specifically, her nails. There was a thin black substance under the edges of her nails and a few black flecks on her arm. Gunpowder. This was wrong.

Idris took a step back.
    "Who are you...?"
  15. Tsubori

Harena began to think frantically when the noble knew she wasn’t a maid and became on edge. She cursed her luck and shook her head. “No, I’m not part of the staff, I’m a mercenary brought on to ensure nobody intrudes up here.” She thought out everything as well as possible to avoid contradictions. She recalled people declaring this party as being thrown by a man named Altior. “Obviously there are many valuables that could be stolen up here. I’m to ensure they aren’t.” She then remembered the name of the noble from around town when people discussed the party. “Mr. Altior would certainly be cross with me an I wouldn’t get my pay if you stuck around here much longer.”

“Now go back downstairs before I have to take any form of action.” She leaned on the wall, and hunched forward and inch, showing her powerful, intimidating abdominal muscles. Perhaps showing her muscles wouldn’t scare him off, but it would certainly show him what she was capable of.
  16. Squishy

"A mercenary? Funny, I don't remember the good man hiring any mercenaries. Just yesterday he told my father he had guards from the barracks stationed at the door and garden."

Idris didn't believe a word the woman had said, she was getting more and more suspicious. She made a nervous impression, the way she showed off her muscles made a clear message: 'go away and don't ask any questions.' But he still didn't have an answer on the gunpowder issue.
    After a moment of thought, Idris decided to just be blunt and ask.

"I've noticed a trace of gunpowder around the house. And strangely enough," He grabbed her hand and pointed at her nails. "You seem to have it under your nails. Care to explain?" He said in a demanding voice. "Just who are you and what are you doing here?"
  17. Tsubori

Harena realized that this noble was smarter than he looked. Either that, or the stars aligned in his favor. Either way, she wasn't putting up with bullshit right now. Turning around, she took a step away. "I already said what my job was..."  As she finished this, she turned her body super quickly, landing her foot on the side of his face. 

Taking him down to the ground, she punched him once in the gut, straddling him. "I don't have to tell you anything. Nor will I. All you pathetic nobles deserve long, painful deaths... You're lucky enough that I'm in a hurry." She then took her knife out of her sheath, raising it up.
  18. Squishy

He hadn't seen that coming. Well, maybe a little, but the foot in his face and being pinned against the ground took him by surprise.
    Nonetheless he recovered quickly, concentrating all his energy into his hands, grabbing Harena and unleashing a thunder spell. The force of the blast send the Gerudo flying and knocked her into a wall, giving Idris enough time to get up and grab his dagger.

"Tell me who you are and what you want!" He shouted, ready for a new attack. "What is that gunpowder for?!"

He thought of the people in the ballroom. Had she come for them? Was she trying to kill them? His family was among those people as well...
  19. Tsubori

With a sigh of pain at the thunder spell, Harena stepped back briefly. He had magic... He was dangerous... But she had to get out of there... If the bombs blew while she was inside, she'd be toast. She looked back towards the stairs, and saw that there was a balcony a floor up.

"I'd love to stay and kill you personally, but I have to be places. Just remember that everyone here tonight was slaughtered in Ganon's name." And with that, she sprinted to the right, jumping off the wall and grabbing the balcony. "Goodbye, you conceited, petty fool!" She then climbed up and sprinted away.
  20. Squishy

"Hey! Wait!" Idris dashed up the stairs after her and saw her bounce off the wall and up onto the balcony.

'Dammit...that bitch!'

Just before she slipped around the corner he shot an ice spell at her, effectively freezing her to the floor. He knew it wouldn't give him a lot of time, but if he was lucky just enough to get up there.
    Idris clambered up the balcony, just as he reached the top Harena had been able to break free of the ice.

"I won't let you get away!" Idris lept forward, latching onto Harena's back and sending the both of them sprawling on the floor. "I want answers!"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.