Shave and a Haircut; Two Bits!

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Eternis, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Varite sat quite comfortably in the ebony-wood chair he had placed in his back gardens, admiring the comfortable view of the glittering river as the small deku barber buzzed around his face, trimming and scraping away at the small patches of stubble that were still being dealt with on his chin.

"My, you seem to be doing a wonderful job.

Varite spoke, his mouth barely moving during the short interval as the barber removed his blade, the sharp chin returning to the position he had carefully kept for the barber in front of him after each word.

"I appreciate you coming here, by the way. I simply could not go out like this, unshaven like a half-dead tree. It's just a pity that my own barber has come down with a bit of a flu. Bit of coughing, nausea, and stomach pain, if I am to believe the cook.

Varite sat back, watching the glimmer of light reflected off of the river's surface illuminate the side of a number of flowers in the garden, particularly a set of lovely black-ish flowers, almost glowing with a dull, blood red as a small breeze caused them to shake slightly.

The maid beside the pair gasped, sighed, smiled, and walked inside as the scent of vanilla and chocolate lingered in the air around the lord of the manor.

"In fact, I might even have a further job for you. Just a few errands I have to run, but I enjoy company while I do them. Would you be interested?
  2. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Billy looked up from his perch on the arm-rest. His thorough look at this man with skull tattoos all over his face let him know which direction to shave in first. However, Billy is not known for his quality. The young Hopkins is capable of one of the fastest and most terrifying shaves one can ever experience. This was the first mistake Varite made in interrupting Billy's work by talking. The blade whizzed by, and nicked his cheek as the lord changed his position. His thick blood seeped slowly out of the wound.

"My-my Sir now I told you not to move! Now let me treat this cut here-- it's only a scratch. How do I treat human cuts again?" Billy inflected at the sudden change of mood.

With a quick reach into his bag, Billy retrieved a gauze-like material. The mesh was sticky with a strong-smelling herbal adhesive. Billy knew this bandage remedy back from his time in Castle Town to be just what humans wanted on their maimed flesh. Billy wasn't sure why they wanted the accompanying goo, as it hurt like Zora's River when set on raw flesh. All Billy knew was that the remedy was exactly what every human asked for after getting a substantial cut.

"Beloved Nayru why do they always move?!" Billy grumbled to himself. He was a step away from tearing out somebody's carotid artery one of these days, if he wasn't careful. Condensation dripped down Billy's forehead, he grabbed at his face desperately. What would happen if he killed someone by accident? How could he live with himself after something like that? Billy tried to slap himself out of it. The stinging and painful bandage was sinking into Varite's open wound. Billy knew he would be just fine for now.

Billy had seemingly not listened to the request for that entire three minutes. With his wits back about him, he resumed the shave.

"I keep trying to tell you to save it for after. I'll go on any errand you want, now. If you pay a little extra, that is. Truth be told I wouldn't consider it. Fact stands that I owe you now after that nick you got there. What I'm trying to say is, I'll go where you go for however long you want. Now, hold still!"

Billy evened up the stray hairs with a few swipes of his straight razor. He wiped the excess cream away and patted Varite's smooth face with aftershave. Then with a plop he snatched the towel out of a bucket of hot water and heaved it onto the man's partly sore face. All the while singing some manner of long-forgotten opera. He spun and twirled in the yard with his Deku Pirouette as his hands were now free.
  3. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Varite brought his hand to his chin, smiling a little as he felt the gauze that had been so efficiently and promptly.

Perfect, an immediate response. This little barber will be exactly what I need.

Varite stood, unfolding to his full height as he deftly removed the encircling apron the small deku had been using to protect Varite's well-tailored outfit.

"Let me just get my coat. I'll leave your apron here, and I'll grab my cloak. My maid here will deal with the chair, so just meet me at the front door. Although…

Varite turned to the maid, who had just returned from her errands inside.

"Isabelle, I know how much you like the Cosmos flowers that Jeffery planted recenty. Feel free to spend some time out here before you go back in.

With a quick nod from Isabelle, Varite walked back inside the mansion, heading towards the front of the house.

Jack West sat behind his desk and sighed inwardly, despairing at the sheer volume of paperwork in front of him. Ever since he'd been promoted to staff sergeant for his work during the sting operation to take down the gang that murdered his parents, he'd felt cooped up. They said it was for his safety, and they were probably right, as there were probably still some criminals out there that wanted to see his head on a silver platter, but Jack was a mover, not a pen-pusher by nature. Being trapped in this office with only one or two patrols a week while on the job just felt wrong to him, especially since it had been a good six years since the last of the gang had been put away.

And then, he saw. The light at the end of the tunnel, staring him right in the face on this previously

"Fred?"

Jack called out to gleefully the corporal in the next room, who immediately rushed in.

"Yeah, Jack?

"This paper here says that there's been an upswing in the dark magic trade."

"Yeah, just a bit… Oh, nice one. Since there's all that weird stuff that went on around the Schattenblitz deaths, this gives you an excuse, huh? See ya in a few hours, Jack. I'll sort the paperwork out into what's actually important for ya."

"Thanks, bud. I owe you one."

"Jack… You never will. You risked your life back in that raid one that den of thieves when my wife got into that bit of trouble, and you saved both of our arses. Trust me, I'll do whatever I can to help you out."

Fred looked up, and Jack had already left.

"Heh. You really should be out there more. Too bad…

Varite stood by the door, his face and other clothes shrouded by his brown hooded cloak, waiting expectantly and ready to go.
  4. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Billy shook the water off his face. He had cut dozens of clients before, but this guy was loaded. Another slip-up like that and Billy figured he could get it good from someone with this kind of power. With a nervous cough he went out front to his temporary barber cart. Out of the cart he drew a large scissor, only half of a pair of scissors. This weapon he strapped to his back for self-defense. He didn't have a clue what this guy was up to, but Billy wouldn't be caught unarmed wherever they were going.

He drew his length of Cheval Rope from his cart and strapped it to his left leg. With all his utilities on his person, he bobbed back over to Varite as he was coming out. He scratched his leaves nervously, remembering that Varite hadn't mentioned where they were going. Maybe he needed a house-call hair styling for someone out of the way.

"I'm prepared for whatever treacherous path we take, associate. Here's hoping it's just another hair job! Where'e we going anyway?" Billy squeaked in his city-slicker accent with another brush of his leaves.
  5. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Varite nodded westward, intoning in a stranger tone than had appeared in his previous speech:

"We head to the underworld of Hyrule Castle Town, where mages attempt to control the magic that twisted Ganondorf himself.

He then proceeded to walk quickly, the folds of his over-large cloak fluttering about him, allowing no true sign of the clothes underneath apart from the occasional flash of darkness between steps.

"Don't worry. I just need you for appearances sake. Simply nod to everything I say after we enter through the gates, and there shouldn't be too much to trouble you.

The white flash of teeth shining in a grin came as he stoppen in a secluded alleyway, bloodstains on the ground behind him, and what looked to be shanty housing in front. The three skulls on Varite's face glowed a dark purple-ish black as he put his left hand to the wall, running it along what looked to be normal bricks, but as his hand passed over, revealed strange markings, glowing the same shade as his hand.

"Coming?"

_____________________________________________________________________________

Jack headed out from the office, exhilarated at the fact that he could actually be out here. Now, apparently there had been a few murders in the Western districts, something to do with dark magic, but Jack decided that he was going to first check in at Varite's mansion, and… make sure that he was holding up. Yeah, that's a good excuse. Same one he used, after all.

GAH! (open)
    My apologies for Varite's text, and how impossible it is to read, but the dark purple really defines him well :aww:
  6. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Billy was now aware it was his turn to talk. He still didn't say anything. He just stood around nervously stroking his flower stem. Did he say Ganondorf? Twilight magic? Could the people we're meeting be working with the Lynel? Billy thought to himself. His paranoia grew by the second, wild thoughts raced through his mind. But maybe he had done the right thing, accepting this man. If he could investigate the cults responsible for that Lynel threatening his family, he could eventually turn the tables. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to go in undercover as this tall guy's servant.

"But of course, guy. We can make a game out of it. You seem like somebody who likes to raise the stakes! My kinda fella." Billy humbly accepted before moving inside. Now I can do my part to protect dad and auntie! The Mad Scrub beamed as he scooted along. But then it occurred to him, they were going into some sort of deep labyrinth made of stone. It was probably full of creepy urns and pots. In the shadows, Billy was overcome with anxiety. They could be everywhere, watching him. Glory on high was Billy terrified of pottery. He walked much closer to Varite at this point.

Soon the two were met with torchlight. It became obvious Billy was not entirely up to the task. Billy peered around the corridor. It would become clear to Varite why Billy was visibly terrified. There on the side of the wall were two fanciful urns.

"Watch out Varite I see the enemy! Those pots are creeping me out! They must be possessed!" Billy shouted at the pair of urns. Quickly Billy fired a Deku Nut out of his mouth at one of the expensive urns. The ceramic burst into shards all over the floor in a dusty heap.

"Don't be fooled Varite! It's not ordinary furniture!" he screamed much louder. Billy cautiously approached the other urn. By some sort of sorcery or spirit it lifted off the ground, ready to fly into Billy. The levitation was proof itself that this was some kind of trap. Normally, the pots and urns Billy was afraid of were not even remotely dangerous. It was just his luck that he could prove the dangers and justify the fear he had at this moment. Billy drew his scissor and sliced at the flying ceramics. The enigmatic device was shattered mid-air.

"I apologize Master Varite I should have warned you about urns sooner. The people involved with this place are probably responsible and trying to deter intruders."
  7. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Varite frowned, annoyed and a bit bemused by the sudden apparitions.

"That's odd, I did arrange for a meeting here… This must be a test of some sort, as I have no idea as to why else they would deter a paying customer such as myself…"

Varite nodded, examining the pots whizzing towards his head as he spoke.

"Hmm….

Varite brought his hand up to his left ear as a small shard of pottery whizzed past and nicked the lobe, his stoic expression adjusting not one whit.

"Or, perhaps they've just forgotten, or are simply crazy black mages. It happens, you know."

Varite held his forearms out in a cross, extending the blades out from the gloves in a swift motion, almost impossible to notice for those not paying close attention.

"Thanks for the idea, by the way. A stylised-scissor defence is quite handy for this situation, but it's so unusual that I would have never even thought about using such a thing without you on hand."

Shards of pottery whizzed past, re-opening the cut made earlier by the deck standing at Varite's side, Varite's small movements of his head and arms somehow ensuring that while his face became splattered with small cuts, no major injuries occurred as the flying pots dwindled into nothing, leaving but a single, expensive-looking vase standing on a plinth just to the side of the hallway.

"It seems as if our noble hosts are quite the set of fools. Their tricks and traps are aimed at what they see to be the largest threat, and in our case, either by size, or affinity to the darker side of magic."

Varite stared blankly at the door at the end of the space in front of him as he nonchalantly swung his bladed fist into the expensive vase beside him.

"Shall we discover the reason for their hostility, or simply crush them for such misplaced audacity? Either way, I suggest you lead the way, and remember that I am right beside you"

A Gift For My Delay (open)
    Genz, feel free to have Varite cast as many spells as you so choose during your post, and/or have him follow you. And, while it says a gift, it's really because I get the feeling that, for the moment at least, you might be able use him more efficiently.
  8. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Billy sniffed the air around him. The client was mumbling something about dark magic. Billy was somewhat tuning it out though, as his focus had shifted to the pottery. His mind wandered as a Mad Scrub does on occasion. He still felt deep down that this man with him was not a common thug who would victimize the helpless, but perhaps a harmless schemer looking for means to an end.

Billy slowly reached over, stretching his arms above his head. He was offering Varite a towelette from his bag. He wasn't tall enough to reach all the way but he made sure the man was looking so he wouldn't throw out his back for no reason. What kind of teenager throws out his back, anyway?

The two began to walk further in. Soon the was a stairwell visible before them. The hall snaked and spiraled downward into some sort of catacombs. A chill ran throughout Billy's body. Was it fate that brought him here? After the incident with his family, he needed a sign in his life to guide himself toward strength. He knew the Lynels were watching him from afar, waiting for him to slip up. Waiting for something bad to happen, it seemed.

Billy hoped deep down that Ganon's army stopped tracking him. That maybe because of this wealthy man beside him, he would stop being followed. Varite seemed trustworthy to Billy. Powerful, even. They tapped feet down into the lair. Their guard was up for any sort of trap or scare meant to discourage intruders. Billy spoke too soon.

"It looks like there's no more traps, huh." he confided to Varite. That was when it began.

The hallway became hot and bright as a twinkling, dancing flame erupted around the walls.
    "HAVE YOU NO MANNERS AT ALL? FIVE YEARS!!!!"

Billy was very confused.

"Five years Billy. FIVE. YEARS and you don't send so much as a postcard much less visit! Nana is suffering, Billy! I been all but lost me mind." The mysterious hidden voice called out as the hallway became an oven.

"Nana is that you? What are you doing in a sewer for one thing, but how did you expect me to write back if you're in an uncharted dungeon every day?"

Billy had thought that his grandmother Ivy Hopkins had been dead. She outlived his grandfather, but nobody in the family knew what had become of the talented flame of the family. It turned out she was exactly where they thought she was, the irony that it had been a catacomb. But she wasn't deceased. She had been brooding, something the whole family knew she did. Billy didn't know much about his grandparents. He was probably here, he thought, because he was fated to learn about his grandparents sooner or later.

"Nana cut out the fire someone will get hurt. What are you doing?"

Nana Ivy calmed down a bit, just enough to bring the flames back to herself. Out from around the next corner hobbled an old Deku Scrub, practically as old as the Deku Tree himself by the looks of it. She waddled uncomfortably as she had no arms with which to grasp a cane. Billy considered himself blessed to be born with arms. The old hag was covered in dry leaves all the way down to the floor. A flower or two brightened up her shadowed mug.

"Your Nana is angry and she wants to set fires."
    "Nana please there's no reason for any of this." he continued.

"Sir is there any way to stop this without hurting her?"
    Billy looked to Varite for support on the matter. By Varite's expression Billy could tell this was not the informant they had come to see. Maybe a little coaxing would get some info out of her though.
  9. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Varite crouched down, bringing his head just above level to Billy's.
    "I'll see if I can talk her down, my good man."
    "And who are you to be talking to my boy Billy like that?!"
    Varite regained his full height, standing with head unbowed before performing a picture-perfect courtly bow, complete with flourished hand and a roguish wink, surreptitiously wiping the sweat from his face as he did so.
    "I, my dear madam, am Varite Schattenblitz, current head of the Schattenblitz family, and your son's current employer."
    Varite straightened from his bow, then returned to his crouch, this time in front of Nana.
    "I'm afraid he's been kept much to busy to find out about your whereabouts, although he was most concerned when you two lost contact, but I should tell you that as soon as he discovered your whereabouts, he was more than eager to see you. If you still wish to set some fires, I would ask that you refrain from setting Billy on fire until, perhaps, tomorrow, as I have some rather pressing business today, of which he is of vital importance."
    Show Spoiler

I don't know how Nana would respond in this situation, but this is what I would have done, if you'd like to:

Nana Ivy frowned, then set a jolt of flame to lick the skull on Varite's cheek, burning him, but not too severely.
    "Nana still wants to set fires, young man."
  10. Doc Genz

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Great job Sir! Granny's all but tuckered out." Billy remarked jovially.

Ivy lay in a heap of her own leaves, sound asleep on the floor. Billy thought it best to regard this as a plot point best left hanging.

Wow! Better prepare your facial pores because he's even throwing in a pat of aftershave!

Billy forced a hot towel full of aftershave over Ivy's face, just to double make sure she was knocked out.

"I suppose we should be finding these noble hosts of yours. It sure wasn't my granny hosting, that's for sure."

Billy tilted his head. There were old, decaying columns supporting the vast subterranean hall. It dawned on Billy that he hadn't the slightest clue where the two of them were going. Why was his granny here? Billy figured she had been here the entire time and it was a really lucky coincidence that they were in the same place at this time. But Billy was wrong. There was no coincidence. There dark workings of this underground community had brought her here long ago. Ivy had been in these halls the entire time. She was probably lighting rats on fire as a maid service, yeah let's go with that.

There was a rush of wind from deeper in the complex. Billy got a chill down his back. Something was buried deep in these catacombs, unrelated to their mission. Billy trampled over next to Varite out of fear. He didn't know what would pop out at them next. It was up to him to let Varite lead the way and bring them to where they really had to be going. Billy held his scissor close to his chest. This was going to be a hell of a ride.
  11. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

"Thank you, good Billy.
    Underneath his mask of politeness seethed an unrelenting rage, reflected (albeit mildly) in the shifting of the skulls decorating Varite's face. How DARE that elderly deku fall asleep as he was talking to her! Certainly, made his task here easier, but that was far beside the point. There were certain conventions when conversing with others, especially when it came to rudeness, and falling asleep was almost the height of rudeness, just above spitting in said individual's face. His vengeance would be stated, however, as needs must. It would not do to anger his companion by murdering his grandmother in front of him when she had already gotten out of their way. But, should they meet again when Billy wasn't there...
    No matter for the minute, but for the minutiae of his journal.

"Yes, we should meet my host, perhaps give him a piece of our minds on his less-than-warm-
    Oh, lovely. He's sent some toys."

Two slavering dogs padded in from behind two pillars. At least, they were mostly dogs. They were nearly half-again the size they should be, and with three tails each.
    "Would you like a go, or should I?"