Shadow Control

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Devil-Steel, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Devil-Steel

Devil-Steel Your friendly neighborhood devil reg

Normal Laws apply. Augments

Size: increase the size you can make your shadow while under your control

Reach: increase the range at which you can control your shadow

Physical: Give you shadow physical form, not a shadow clone, but rather can be used to make a physical wall of shadow, ladder, hands, needles, etc.
  2. Devil-Steel

Shadow Control is a mystical power assumed to be a form of spell, though it is never actually cast, and remains in use for as long as the user knows it. As its name implies, it allows the user to manipulate shadows. This is a Major treasure. A character who has never gained a Major treasure, or has already gained another Elemental Control ability, may gain this treasure normally. Otherwise, the character must first acquire Major Gain specifically to gain this treasure.

Though Shadow Control has a set cost, a user with a Specialty in Shadow can reduce its cost by 20 rupees, and reduce the cost of any of its augments by 10 rupees.

Though there are specific limits on to the extent to which shadows can be controlled with Shadow Control, this ability fundamentally works in one way. When the user draws his hand within 1 foot (or 1/3m) of a shadow, he can control its shape, causing it to rise higher, twist, grow, separate, move, or shrink, as easily as if it was a part of his own body. With practice, he can even form simple objects, such as a saber of shadow, or a barrier of shadow.

At the most basic level, a Shadow Controller has five specific limits, or "laws." As he gains augments to his ability, he can reduce or negate some of these laws.

• Law of Mass: The controller can never control a mass of shadows larger than half that of his own body. If he attempts to do so, it will revert to normal shadows which he cannot control. He can, however, take a small amount of shadow from a larger area, and control that separate entity.
    • Law of Distance: To gain control of a shadow, the controller's hand must be within a foot (1/3m) of it. To maintain control, the controller's hand must be within 3 feet (1m) of it.
    • Law of Familiarity: The controller cannot gain shadows magically created by any entity which actively opposes him. Such shadows bear the original caster's ill-will, and thus will fully resist any attempt to be controlled. If a shadow persists on its own more than approximately 1 minute after being magically created, and hasn't been under the creator's control for 1 minute or more, then the user can gain control of it as normal.
    • Law of Speed: The controller cannot move shadows faster than he can move his arms through the air. Thus, if he were to create a saber made from shadow, he could not swing the sword with his arm, and have the sword move forward faster than his wielding arm.
    • Law of Light: While light is needed to create shadows, light also dispels shadows. As such any light based attacks can be used as a means to eliminate controlled shadows.

Augments

The user can gain the Solidify, L,ong Cast or Size augment simultaneously with the original treasure for an additional cost, or as a separate treasure at a later time.

With the Solidify augment, the user can create solid matter from controlled shadows. The durability of this material is equivalent to oak. Any solid matter created with this augment restricts the amount of shadow the user can maintain simultaneously. In effect, and solid fire is considered thrice the mass of normal shadow, for the purpose of the Law of Mass.

The Long Cast augment partially alleviates a restriction in the Law of Distance. Once control of a shadow has been gained, this augment allows the user to cast any controlled shadow up to ten feet away and maintain control of it. The further away from the user the shadow is, the weaker it becomes. At the maximum distance the shadows are fairly weak to attack, however, and can be broken apart with a weapon attack, or ripped apart by hand relatively easily.

The Size augment partially alleviates a restriction in the Law of Mass. Instead of being able to control shadows less than half the user's mass, the user can instead control an amount of shadows up to triple his own mass.
  3. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

I can see where you're going with this, but we pretty much already have these effects in seperate treasures.

Aside the solidify augment its a little unclear what you can do with the controlled shadows, or what the boon/utility would be? You mentioned shaping it into weapons, but also that they can't move faster than an arm swing, which seems like it would be worse than a normal sword? I'd maybe suggest to turn the long cast augment into an augment for Alter Shadow instead. As for the other effects, we have Tendrils of Darkness, Wall of Hazards (Shadow) and Shadow Enchantment.

As it is now I don't think it really makes sense as a Major treasure or a control treasure, but what you could do is focus specifically on the shaping aspect and make a spell that lets you create objects out of your own shadow?
  4. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    I would personally say doubling down on the quick attack aspect of this treasure would actually further differ it from many existing shadow treasures. Its grab function is not only similar to Tendrils of Darkness but potentially Summon Floormaster as well- a treasure that uses a monstrous hand which can hold down its victim. If the attack also applies a shadowy menace to the target instead of just slicing them that would also improve the treasure, maybe an effect of overwhelming fear like the Shadow Enchantment would make its place as an elemental control be somewhat more fitting. There are numerous options we could take, maybe even specifying that the blows and grabs can paralyze or repel creatures like Fairies or other light based entities. Just a couple suggestions.
  5. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I have to agree with Squishy. While it's not a bad idea, HC isn't like a JRPG or something where there's like "shadow" damage or something, where the existence itself does damage. There are cases where some enemies are weaker to shadow elements, like Fairies, but it's not in the same sense of shadows themselves being dangerous, so being able to control them does not necessarily constitute a strong attack in the same way controlling fire does, for example.

If what you specifically want is a way to control or move the shadows around in a more free-form motion than Tendrils of Darkness or Alter Shadow, that might work, but it definitely doesn't need to be a major treasure.

For a Shadow Control Major treasure to work, the only way I could really see it is if you based it off the way some of the other Shadow related treasures work like Shadow Enchantment, but at that point you may as well just get Shadow Enchantment I feel.
  6. Devil-Steel

Mkay. I will take all of this under advisement, and probably rework this once more. May or may not retain major by time I'm through. I'll see what I think after my write up, and we can see if the mods agree or disagree with my assessment once I get done with the rewrite.
  7. Devil-Steel

{Utility Spell} Fields: {Shadow, Control, Disable, Illusion} Price = C {High Cost}
    Shadow Manipulation is a mystical power assumed to be a form of spell, though it is never actually cast, and remains in use for as long as the user knows it. As its name implies, it allows the user to manipulate their own shadow and bend it to their will. This can take many forms and its primary uses vary from one caster to another. At it's most basic what this spell allows for a user to do is create shadow objects that have physical form and even rise up off the ground if the user so desires.

This in turn limits what the user can create to their own imagination and the amount of shadow at hand. This spell does not allow for the shadow to grow to create more shadow, but the user can stretch it out as far and thinly as possible. The user must be in contact with their own shadow for them to use this ability. If at any point some part of their body is not touching their shadow it will abruptly return to normal. In the event the user makes something larger than themselves, it requires constant concentration on that object to move it around. They can maintain objects larger than themselves with minimal concentration so long as it remains stationary.