Reviving old plans

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Razgriz, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

I recently remembered a lot of the suggestions that came up awhile ago to add to the RP section of HC. Looking at them, I'm not entirely sure why they weren't implemented as there didn't seem to be any major problems with them and at least one had a full set of rules written out for it. Unfortunately I could only find the thread for the Bank of Hyrule, so the rest will have to have their rules re-written (unless someone wants to delve the depths of the suggestion bin).

As a side note, I'm currently offering to write/edit the rules for these suggestions, assuming they'll be accepted quickly

Bank of Hyrule: Basically this was to allow for all the things banks IRL are known for and allowing some more P2P interaction. This is the simplest of the suggestions and in fact had a complete set of rules written for it over a year ago. I'm not going to write more about it here, all the information's in the link.

Marketplace: Less fleshed out than the bank, but still had the basics ready. Basically it was where people could auction or sell unwanted treasures and where professions could advertise their services. I know since the profession overhaul there's less of a need for the latter, but it's not zero and it still could be fun to see people constantly outbidding each other, for an expensive treasure that the owner just wants to get rid of. Lastly, the mods could occasionally put up a item or two for sale/auction to drum up unused character builds and other such stuff.

Dream Merchant: This one was fleshed out the least, but basically an entity would enter a character's dreams and make them some sort of offer; maybe a unique spell for an absurd price, a powerful sword for undertaking a quest, etc. The twist was that the reward wouldn't always match what was promised ie. a spell would constantly backfire, an ability would cause a sudden sex-/species- change, or would simply receive nothing in return. Then again, he could return and offer to right the wrong... for a price of course.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

There are... a few reasons that those things never happened. The main one is that the site, as many people frequently remind us, is already fairly complicated. I personally would like to be able to implement a lot of these ideas, but more or less we were worried we couldn't do them well. It's just one more thing to explain to people, one more long post for people to read getting into the RP, and so on. That in mind, the idea of having a Marketplace or Bank are both cool, but it's also hard for us to picture the community at its current size using these system enough to warrant them.

There's also the fact that the Marketplace and Dream Merchant were both Guy's little projects which he more or less excluded the staff from--when he left, those ideas kind of left with him. The Bank was Toko's idea, but at the time it was a little harder for the staff to agree on things and, if I remember correctly, Guy kind of shut him down on that.

That said, I still do really like these ideas and I appreciate you bringing them up again. There's a lot of controversy at the moment over the sub-account thing, but if we end up implementing that in full force it would make it a ton easier for us to actually add systems like the ones you brought up. The staff will definitely be talking about the possibility of stuff like this and I'm glad you brought it up. Unfortunately, though, I can't really give you a time frame since R.D. and Quill are pretty much K.O.ed at the moment and Toko and Willow are both pretty busy.

If you think of more stuff, though, please don't hesitate to add it to this thread, make an additional one, or whatever. I like hearing what you guys want to see in the RP--we're here for you after all.
    Bitoko likes this.