Bank of Hyrule

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Bitoko, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

As I was going to sleep last night, I thought of something. People always complain of not being able to share rupees across characters etc... Well I thought of the idea of having a Bank of Hyrule, where each member could purchase an account, for the cost of like 50 rupees or something, then each of their characters could then deposit into the account. However, it wouldn't just be flat rupee transfer, to deposit into the account it would deduct 10-15% of the rupees deposited as a deposit fee that the bank would then keep.

Now, I was trying to think of some problems with this, but as I did I realized they really are not to big of problems. One of which was "well now people are going to be getting rupees and big treasures much faster than before" and while this may be true in a slight way, its still going to take the same amount of RPing and questing (actually a little more with the deposit fee) to get the amount of rupees for the treasure desired. Another problem I thought of is starting rupees, I don't think they should be allowed to be deposited inside the bank, because we don't want people making characters for the sole purpose of depositing rupees into the bank for their other characters then never seeing use.

Now I also thought of another potentially fun idea, which is that the bank would have a running total of rupees which grows every time someone purchases an account or deposits rupees and a deposit fee is collected. Every once in a while, the bank could hold a drawing or something, and the winner could get a certain amount of rupees, like 100 rupees or so for instance. Just an idea that I thought could be fun. What do you guys think?
  2. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

I actually like this idea. It turns out very similar to something I was going to ask about later. Now... a question. Is this bank account specific to your characters only or can other RPers be given rupees too? I ask because once Dealy gets professional and reaches level 10 and gets all his stuff, he'll be getting a high number of rupees per RP. I wanted him to make a fund, more or less that he invests money into other people, maybe into professions or something? Iunno, but either way, good plan.
  3. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Hmm. I don't know if transfers would be such a good idea, we don't want people begging for rupees and not doing any actual work to get their treasures haha, but who knows, maybe it could work. We would have to think of something though.
  4. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    I like the idea of a bank, but mainly if you can use it to transfer money to other player's accounts, though in the long run people could just use the Marketplace to go "Ok, I have a Deku Stick with a rag tied to it, 50 rupees" with only the person willing to give them cash paying the price.

Yammering as I am, I think it's a nice idea that could probably use some looking into with the player-to-player transfers.

Oh, does each character need an account or just the player?
  5. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    I like this idea, but I'd also like to see some sort of rate at which a person's rupees increase while in the bank, just like a real bank. Obviously, the percentage of increasing would be small, but I think that with some of the recent changes to the library, it might be good to be able to bolster one's rupee profits, if only by a small margin.
  6. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I mean there might be a way that we can use player to player transfers, perhaps player to player loans or something. Maybe even bank loans with incurring interest lol.And it would be each Player needs one account.

And thats actually brilliant Willow, perhaps every week or every month they grow by a few percentage points.
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I suggested something similar but less robust a while ago: simply having a rupees tied to one player, rather than separate rupee amounts tied to each character. I'm not entirely sure why that was shot down and this is garnishing support... Nonetheless, I can get behind this if someone's willing to manage the "bank events" Bitoko suggested.

My only problem with it is as follows. Creating a character can net you 150 rupees or so, which could then be immediately or later transferred to another character. As long as it doesn't seem like anyone with a large amount of characters is exploiting the bank, and no one creates a character just to transfer their cheaply-earned rupees and treasures, then I have no qualms with this.
  8. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

My only explanation of why it was rejected then and accepted now is HC has evolved... Or I just dressed it up to make it look really cute or something and people like that :sarcasm:

I will manage the bank events. Also, thats why I put in there I don't think we should allow starting rupees to be deposited. Perhaps they can be used to open an account, but not deposited. Then with the 15% deposit fee and perhaps a 5% transfer to other character fee, along with maybe a 5% per month increase in rupees?
  9. Premium Chaos

Premium Chaos Member reg

Ehh, I don't see why characters can't just meet in game and trade rupees. I mean what is the difference between that and the bank system? The government leeching your hard earned rupees! :p

Honestly I don't support the idea unless, like Will said. It has more functionality.
  10. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

PC: Because it kind of just becomes the community is one giant pool of rupees lol, this puts a workable system to it that will have more functionality. I think there will be some benefits to putting it in the bank, as willow suggested, such as gaining rupees through interest. Then there will be the bank events where a drawing is held, or whatever. There will be several events, one time it may be just a "spread the wealth" where the bank gives everyone who has an account an equal amount of rupees. I think it could really be fun, and profitable
  11. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Ok, so here is what I think it should be like (This is a tentative post as if it were put in place as a system):

Bank of Hyrule

Each player may have one account with the Bank of Hyrule. To open an account it is simple, pay the banker fifty rupees from any one of your characters, and the Banker will give you an account. Once that account is open, you are free to deposit and withdraw rupees with any of your characters at your discretion. There will be no limit as to the amount of rupees you can deposit, withdraw, or hold in your bank account.

Fees

10% Depository fee. When you deposit any rupees, the rupees will be charged the 10% depository fee, which fee will be placed inside the bank's own rupee fund.

10% Transfer Fee. If you desire to loan your rupees to another player, you may do so for a 10% transfer fee, which fee will be placed inside the bank's own rupee fund.

Compounding Interest

Each week you have rupees in the Bank of Hyrule, you will earn 4% of the total amount of rupees in your account, which will be placed in your account each Sunday evening. This interest rate is compounding, meaning that the next weeks earnings will take into account all of your rupees including past interest earnings.

Loans

If you are in need of more rupees, you may take a loan out of the Bank's funds. You may take no more than fifty rupees in this way. When you take rupees out of the Bank, you must sign a promissory note stating your intent to repay the bank. The loan will have a 4% weekly interest rate which takes place on each Sunday after the loan is taken out. This interest rate is not compounding and will only be calculated based on the base of the loan taken out. You must have an account with the Bank of Hyrule to take out a loan.

Loans to Other Players

If when transferring rupees to other players, you desire to set up a contract with interest, you may do so with the Bank acting as a third party. You may set up the terms between you and the person you are loaning rupees to, including interest rate and repayment plan. To protect your investment, the rupees will only be charged the 10% transfer fee once, meaning that when you loan to another player, that transfer fee will only be charged when you give the person the rupees, when they pay you back, no transfer fee will be charged.

Bank Events

Occasionally, when the banker is feeling extra generous, things called "Bank Events" will transpire. These could be a variety of things, such as a drawing to win a prize of rupees, a share the wealth event where the banker gives everyone a set amount of rupees, or other such things. These will be announced at the banker's discretion.
  12. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    I think the difference Guy results in there being a side effect of using the bank compared to just a shared rupee pool, and that is the deposit fees and account cost, though that also comes with potential rewards and extra cash flow in the long run.

Though, come to think of it, is there anything really stopping players meeting up ingame and exchanging rupees? I'm pretty sure Victus has done it before.
  13. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

CJ: They shouldn't be trading quest reward rupees at the moment, however IC rupees are OK. Meaning, for instance, my character Owen comes from a wealthy family that has lots of rupees and he has lots of rupees, but he doesn't have lots of treasure rupees. There is a difference between them, Owen uses his rupees to buy clothing, or food, etc....
  14. Premium Chaos

Premium Chaos Member reg

I like it overall, but I don't like the 10% deposit rupees. That would mean that I would lost 10% twice if I want to simply transfer rupees to my other character.

Say Rogue needs 100 rupees I would have to pay her the 100 rupees she needs. The transfer is 10% so that would be 110. Then there is the 10% to actually put the 110 rupees in my account which brings me to 121 rupees. That means I have to pay 21% of the total rupees cost just to transfer. And this is besides the fact that it takes 50 rupees to even open the account. So that would mean 71 rupees would be used to give my other PC some help.

I feel we should do away with the 10% deposit fee. I mean I've never been part of a bank that charged me to put money in. They charged me a fee to open it, and a monthly fee for checking(which could be the 10% for transfers). If you need the bank to make more money just make opening the account more expensive.

But like I said, for the most part I feel like it is a very well thought out system.

Edit: Also I fell like the interest should be tweaked, I feel like interest should only grow in you have been active in the week that is being increased. I mean what if someone puts 500 rupees into the account leaves for a year and comes back to 1000000. Of course exaggerations are being used, but you get the principle.
  15. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I think you are misunderstanding PC, you don't get charged for transfering to your own characters, so you'd only get charged the 10% once for the deposit. You only get charged for transfering to other members.

The 10% deposit is there so that you have to sacrifice a LITTLE bit to pool all of your characters rupees together. The 10% transfer to other members fee is there so that it doesn't just become one large community pool of rupees.

As for the interest, I agree with you and have actually thought a little about it. What if, instead, for every post you gained .2% interest, and you get an additional 5% for every thread completed. So it would work like this, if you were to say post 10 RP posts in the week and finish an RP thread, on Sunday you would receive 7% interest increase in your rupee count. However, if you didn't post at all, you would get none for that week. That was an idea I had.
  16. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Toko, amazing idea. I've seen a lot of talk about rewarding good RPing, so it's good to see a really really helpful idea for it. *isnt biased at all yes he is*

The only thing, is how will you separate RP posts from other kinds? This could wind up being confusing if someone posts tons of... Say... Suggestion box posts, or quest beureau posts, but very few actual RP posts. And of course, I'll nip -myself- for my enthusiasm and say it does favor the more hardcore posters such as myself and BP. Anyone who is a more casual RPer but still wants the rupees will be out of luck.
  17. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

They would have to be hand counted. Perhaps it could be an honor system type of thing, idk. There really isn't a way to automatically do it.
  18. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Seems like that, while I'm in favor of rewarding RPing, counting all the posts at the end of the week would be a responsibility required to be done every sunday, and with your track record right now Toko, I can't see that happening, XD.

By all means, if you can get on once a week to count everyone who owns a bank account's posts and add all the interest and keep it updated, then by all means run with it. I just don't want to see someone like Will getting more shovelled onto his plate when he already does so much already.
  19. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

In my usual habit of trying to rip holes in systems (I do this cause I don't want the system to be abused. Just good intentions, honest!) There are only one problem with the system as it is.

Simply, If someone really care about the bank and has no intent to use it ever, they can simply "Be loaned" 50 from the bank and walk away, never to be seen (by them) again. You'd really have to have a repayment rule for this kinda thing.

Also, I looked into the idea of taking out a loan and then depositing it in an account for interest on the interest (as loans use simple interest and accounts use compound), than pay off the loan and keep the difference, but I worked this out (on the inside of a Toblerone box) and it would take 15 weeks to just break even, so I don't see this becoming an issue; unlike the last point.

PS: YES! Now that there's an actual Bank of Hyrule, Tanic has (or will) become even more legit! So can he have IC position in the bank? Pleeeeeease :aww: ?