Remove Sub-Accounts?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Bitoko, Oct 6, 2013.

?

Remove Sub-Accounts?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

This thread is a poll of the member's opinions on removing the sub-account feature. We know we stepped on your toes, and we appeared to not care what you think. Well, I and the rest of the staff are listening, and want to provide an RP that YOU want. So, here it goes guys, do you want sub-accounts removed? Vote for yes and tell us why below. If there is an overwhelming majority of you that want it gone, then so be it!

And let me note, we are not going to be implementing an "optional" feature, either they are here, or they are not! And let's get this resolved as soon as possible, so that we don't have to deal with too many posts and sub accounts made.
  2. darklink28

darklink28 Somewhere in Hyrule reg

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    They've been implemented, and as far as I've heard? they haven't been any problems with them.

Some may not like them or view them as unnecessary, but personally I think it would be a mistake to go back now. What's done is done. The main issue was the way it was handled, but we can all learn from that. I know I don't RP, but I'm voting "no". You did what you thought was best at the time. You learn from it and move on. But I think the main thing here is communication, and not the actual function itself.

My two cents.
  3. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    I vote no because it's already been implemented and I don't think it's very fair to the people who already made them for their characters and because of the whole 50 rupees worth of item thing that was promised to the people who made their sub-accounts by a certain time. Just my thought though.
  4. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Those rewards would stay if they were removed, btw. As a consolation "SORRY" prize lol.
  5. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

I'm voting yes for the same reasons I gave when they were first implemented, plus I've tried out making them now and I still feel it's too much of a hassle and adds too little to the RP.
  6. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

I'm with Squishy. They're unnecessary and add an extra level of complication that simply shouldn't exist.
  7. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I, too, vote in favor. It's too bad about the accounts that I went into the trouble of finding avatars for, but using the ones that I don't have avatars for makes the thread look tacky and unfinished. In addition, the entire subject has left a very bitter taste in the mouth of some, and I think leaving them in won't do anything to get rid of that feeling.

In addition, there's the usual- it's just another thing on the list of tasks new members have to go through, and it's easy to forget to use the drop down menu.
  8. Fates End

Fates End Escaped Experiment new

I voted no. Specifically, as a new rp'er, I love the idea of the sub accounts. They offer a host of options that are not possible, otherwise. While perhaps more complicated for newcomers . . .that is merely part of how the site operates. This site (from what I have seen) is as complicated as it needs to be to achieve the sort of fidelity to the rp-structure desired.
  9. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Voting yes for the same reasons I argued against it. If the problem is the bonus we got (which toko clarified as not the case) then I can just as easily renounce them. I honestly don't feel it's worth the complications it adds and it makes things easier to not remember to scroll through it to see who I'm supposed to use in any given rp (as well as making it simpler with posts involving more than one of my characters).
  10. darklink28

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    To me this is a conversation that should have taken place before all of this went down, not after. To go back now after all this time, I think is just weakness.
  11. Guy

Guy Admin admin

If it is weakness to correct an error, then I wish to be the weakest man in the world. Never keep a problem the way it is merely because it's a "hassle" to fix it.

Since the poll is open to all, I voted yes, for all the reasons stated thus far, and the ones I've given previously. As Bitoko said, rewards could be retained. It's a hassle for players like Blondie or myself, who have several characters; it's a hassle for others who have to keep up with multiple accounts; it's misleading in member count; it's a frivulous extra step in a system which is already complex; it's tacky; etc. All of this is sacrificed for, at best, a neat little gimmick which doesn't actually even affect the role-play directly, but only the interface used to role-play.
    Bitoko likes this.
  12. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I voted to keep them. I know bad stuff went down over them, but I think, drama aside, they could be useful. They may open up new features and tracking systems that could be pretty cool, and I'm interested in seeing what could happnen. It is "another step" for new people, albeit a short one, but one of the things we're working on is consolidating the "getting started" process so it's not so daunting to new players- hopefully, in the end, the beneficial changes that're made in that direction will more than outweigh the con of keeping sub-accounts. Also, on a more personal level, I've grown attached to my little Loft and Marcus avatars. Don't really want to say bye to them, lol. That's why I voted to keep 'em, but I don't expect anyone else to think the same.
  13. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

I personally think that they should stay, because there aren't as many problems as people originally made them out to be (in my mind) and that removing them would make some confusion with the posts.
  14. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

While I feel that the extra hassle could quite possibly be a major factor for some people, I'm voting to keep them.
    There's just too much data-collecting potential in conjunction with the effort that's already gone into it to just dismiss it out of hand.
  15. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

I think the problem with keeping it now "because we already have them" won't solve the problem since we still have to go through the hassle of creating them for every new character we create, plus the problem of switching between them which also often goes wrong.

Going back on decisions, especially bad ones, is not weakness, it's wisdom.
  16. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'm with Squishy. If the function should never have been implemented in the first place, the arguments from back then are not suddenly invalid because it's BEEN implemented anyway.
  17. darklink28

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    Weakness wasn't the right word.

But have there been a large many problems with them? Are they as much as a hassle as people thought? The main problem was introducing them out of nowhere, and then making them mandatory, out of nowhere, with no communication. But just going back on something that really isn't as bad as what people thought it would be I think would be stupid.

Again, the argument would be completely different if we were starting from the beginning and not the end.
  18. Quill

I agree with Dark. I think the issue with the sub-accounts was the way they were implemented, not the sub-accounts themselves. What we're talking about is whether sub-accounts, in and of themselves, are worth keeping. I think they are, because I think they could be an asset to the site. There haven't been any problems with them, and aside from finding an avatar, they're not a hassle to make. The hassle was in the implementation- not only in the way they were sprung on the members, but also in the annoyance of having to make multiple sub-accounts at one time. It wouldn't be that way normally, because a sub-account would just be made the moment a character sheet was accepted. Additionally, the hassle of finding an avatar wouldn't be that bad under regular conditions, because a person would have the time it takes for the mods to grade the sheet and use that time to find an avatar. It wouldn't take any time out of posting. Finally, like I said earlier, we're hoping to streamline the initial "getting started" process enough to make the small sub-account step not a problem.

So yeah, I agree with Dark- the problem from before was the way sub-accounts were implemented, not the sub-accounts themselves. I think that we should be voting on whether or not sub-accounts should stay based on their own merit, not on whether they were handled correctly on the first go-round or not.
    darklink28 likes this.
  19. darklink28

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    For the sake of it I went ahead and created a sub-account. It takes all of a minute. There's a drop down menu, very easy.

I understand if you have quite a few characters, but even then, not not as big of a hassle I think than some are making it out to be. Finding avatars could be fun, and maybe even have some of the talented artists open up shop.

And like Quill said there are some possible very serious upsides to this for data that can help the staff enrich the RP experience here even more.
    Quill likes this.
  20. Quill

One thing I think sub-accounts would be really good for is the Trophy System. If we added trophies that were based on character acheivements, like clearing x number of Classic Dungeons, completing this or that event, RP'ing in such and such a place, or posting x amount of times, I think it'd be best if we had sub-accounts to tack those trophies onto. I think it'd be cool, if say Marcus completed Lavaclaw, to pin that trophy onto his sub-account. This is just to give an example of what sub-accounts could help with, rather than just saying "we could do cool stuff with them."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.