Reaction Bracelet (grade)

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Tsubori, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

This treasure was approved by toko a while back, and Kasi will be getting it soon, so if I could just put this here, that'd be good.

`Reaction bracelet
    Original: Tsubori , Treasure - Utility, UMT

C5: 90 rupees
    C4: 135 rupees
    C3: 180 rupees

Prerequisites: User must be at least courage 3.

A bracelet in the form of a snake coiled around the wearer's wrist with an emerald in it's mouth, this accessory had only a few copies made across Hyrule. The mysterious man who forged them was said to have been the leader of a powerful group of Assassins, with one of these given to each of his best underlings, then one for himself.

Gradually as these assassins died, their bracelets were lost, and now nobody knows where they're located. The bracelets did far more than simply marking the great assassins though, they also enhanced their reflexes greatly, and enhancing their perceptions, making it possible to know things like the exact location a drop of water landed in a large dark room. 

On the reflexes side of it's augments, the bracelet regulates the flow of adrenaline more powerfully and at a set rate. This keeps the mind calm but the body still enhanced. Wearers find themselves able to move faster and perceive things much better, making them twice as effective in whatever reflex based task they're doing. 

This bracelet is turned on and off with the mind.  While one would think it best to leave it on at all times, they'd reconsider when they found out the rate at which you gain fatigue is doubled with the bracelet active. This includes mental fatigue.

The bracelet also does wonders for back problems, though nobody quite knows why...
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Sorry, Tsu, but we've been over this. The point of the Treasure Creation process is to produce treasures that are useful to everyone, not just one person. Unique Major Treasures are not available to the public, and they clutter the Library with treasures that the average person cannot use. If you, as the Roleplayer, want to add in special history to a treasure you're getting in-thread, great! But please, don't put limiting stuff like that into the treasure description.
  3. Tsubori

How does that limit anything? It changes absolutely nothing about the treasure or how the individual character's history could have gone. A couple months ago when I gave this to Toko, he said he LIKED the idea of the treasure having backstory. So how exactly does this restrict anything?
  4. Quill

After some discussion, I think that the problem here is some miscommunication about the purpose of the UMT tag. So, I'm going to try and clear up its meaning.

The Unique Major Treasure tag has absolutely no in-game significance. Nada. Zip. It does not speak of the in-game rarity of the treasure or any quality thereof. The UMT tag serves purely a meta-game purpose: no players may use a UMT except for its creator. The only other people who can use a UMT are people who have gained the creator's express permission to use it.

Off-thread, you told me that you did not mind other people using your UMTs. You actually encouraged it. Your reason for making treasures UMTs was for their rarity. Rarity has no bearing on whether or not a treasure is a UMT. UMTs hold purely a meta-game significance. If you're worried that people will go against the treasures' descriptions that clearly state, "this is a rare treasure," and that some random dude is going to walk into Hyrule's version of Target and pick one up off the shelves, don't be. It is the grading Mod's resposibility to maintain the rules. If you do not mind others using your UMTs then there is no valid reason to give them that tag. Trust your fellow RP'ers that they won't ignore your descriptions, and trust the staff to keep people from breaking the rules.

That being said, you are welcome to resubmit this without the UMT tag if you wish. If you choose to do so, please include the new treasure description in your reply, and not in an edit of the original post. Thank you.
  5. Tsubori

`Reaction bracelet
    Original: Tsubori , Treasure - Utility

A bracelet in the form of a snake coiled around the wearer's wrist with an emerald in it's mouth, this accessory had only a few copies made across Hyrule. The mysterious man who forged them was said to have been the leader of a powerful group of Assassins, with one of these given to each of his best underlings, then one for himself.

Gradually as these assassins died, their bracelets were lost, and now nobody knows where they're located. The bracelets did far more than simply marking the great assassins though, they also enhanced their reflexes greatly, and enhancing their perceptions, making it possible to know things like the exact location a drop of water landed in a large dark room.

On the reflexes side of it's augments, the bracelet regulates the flow of adrenaline more powerfully and at a set rate. This keeps the mind calm but the body still enhanced. Wearers find themselves able to move faster and perceive things much better, making them twice as effective in whatever reflex based task they're doing.

This bracelet is turned on and off with the mind. While one would think it best to leave it on at all times, they'd reconsider when they found out the rate at which you gain fatigue is doubled with the bracelet active. This includes mental fatigue.

The bracelet also does wonders for back problems, though nobody quite knows why...

There we go?
  6. Quill

This treasure would heighten the character's senses, reflexes, and thought processes as to make them virtually invincible. This would inevitably lead to god-modding. No amount of cool-downs or restrictions could really change that the main affect of this spell is to make its user unbeatable. I would suggest that the bracelet's function be changed or made more specific; perhaps something like, "can turn a fatal blow to a glancing one once-per-fight."
  7. Tsubori

Wait, what? Where do you get invincibility from? I don't see where you get that from. This is basically like Rage except with Courage. There's nothing in this treasure that implies you're impossible to hit. If someone sneak attacks you, you're still screwed. If someone is just plain more skilled than you, you're still screwed. Not only that, but this was already approved by toko as it was. Why is this all so stupidly complicated now??
  8. Quill

First of all, please remember that we're working with you, not against you. I understand you're frustrated, but please do not act like my sole purpose is to ruin your fun.

Now, I've discussed this with the others, including Toko, and there's a lot of confusion about what exactly this does. Does this treasure exactly double the user's original sensory input and reaction time, with a drawback of rapid exhaustion (could use an exact number) and a cooldown period (could use an exact number)? We don't really think that this should increase speed, but doubling reaction time might be okay.

Thanks for clearing things up.
  9. Tsubori

Think there's anything in there that implies a speed increase. All it does is increase the perception and reflexes by about double. So if a normal person would react in half a second, the user would react in a quarter second. Note that those are barely enough to notably dodge any attack. At most you prevent vital shots. I'm not sure what set numbers you want me to use for how long for everything, so... Yeah. I assay in the treasure that fatigue is gained at double speed, and we could just say double recovery time? Any set time is awkward to set because the treasure can be used varying times. That clear anything up?
  10. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Tsu, all that was asked for is some clarification. You don't need to respond in such a demeaning way. Striking back with sarcasm or any other sort of rebuttal that is meant to do anything other than resolve the situation is not acceptable and I'd ask that you please take a look at the way your tone might sound before you post something.

All Quill was asking is if you had intended it to increase your speed, because he felt that if you increased your reaction time by double that that would also allow you to move more quickly and thus make any opponent severely disadvantaged due to the disparity between your character's lightning fast reaction and movement and their own normal speed person.

Secondly, I know your frustrated, but belittling the staff with comments like "I'm not sure what set numbers you want me to use for how long for everything, so... Yeah." We are trying to work with you, so please try to work with us.

I am fine with this treasure, all that was needed was for you to say "No Quill, its not supposed to increase your speed, all it does is make it so that you can react twice as fast like half a second to a quarter second" and that would have sufficed. I have to ask you to please stop treating the Mods as if they are out to get you, or as if you think they are trying to make your life miserable and you have to fight us on things, because you don't.
  11. Tsubori

Actually, the first one was a typo >.> I was meant to say "I don't think there's anything..."
  12. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Ok, well just be a little more careful and a less defensive. You have to come to accept what the mods say, and what they say is final. Please don't get all up in arms about things lol.
  13. Tsubori

Alright. So what's going on with this then?
  14. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I can see it being abused by other members that might find it in teh LoT and decide the want to use it, so I think that some basic rules might be good to include in it. I'm not worried about you abusing it, just say that a new member joins and finds it and wants to use it and thinks it boosts speed and everything, so I'd put in there a clarification that it doesn't (if Quill thought it did than there are bound to be many more people who will). Also, so it doesn't get abused, define the rate of exhaustion that occurs when using it. After that, just check for grammar and such and it should be good!
  15. Tsubori

`Reaction bracelet
    Original: Tsubori , Treasure - Utility, UMT

On the reflexes side of it's augments, the bracelet regulates the flow of adrenaline more powerfully and at a set rate. This keeps the mind calm but the body still enhanced. Wearers find themselves able to react faster and perceive things much better, making them twice as effective in whatever reflex based task they're doing, but not increasing the actual speed of the person's body.

This bracelet is turned on and off with the mind. While one would think it best to leave it on at all times, they'd reconsider when they found out the rate at which you gain fatigue is doubled with the bracelet active. This includes mental fatigue.

16. Quill

(Tsu, is the UMT tag a typo?)

I decided to save some time pointing various things out and just drafted up an edited copy. Tell me what you think.

---

The Reaction Bracelet is shaped like a snake, coiled around the wearer's wrist and bearing an emerald in its jaws. The mysterious man who forged it was rumored to have been the leader of a powerful group of Assassins. He made only a few copies, giving them to his underlings and keeping the original for himself. Gradually, as they died, the Reaction Bracelets were lost. They now lie scattered throughout Hyrule, their locations unknown and their existence little more than myth.

The Reaction Bracelets are capable of doubling the wearer's reaction time and sensory perceptions. The wearer's actual movement speed is not affected. The wearer has the option to activate the bracelet at any time, but the rate of fatigue is doubled while it is active.

---

Well? In case you're wondering, I took out the line about "adrenaline" because it's very misleading. Adrenaline would affect speed and power, not just reaction time and sensory perception.
  17. Tsubori

Yeah, it was a typo, my bad. I accidentally copied the first page version. And that sounds okay, I guess. I suppose I added the adrenaline thing to explain it.
  18. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

This is going to be a little long winded, but I feel like I should clarify on treasure-flavor just to set the record straight. Because Guy is no longer with us, our typical standard is to just refer to the LoT as it stands, when we're talking about form.

The Library of Treasures is a public resource, not a private one, so when possible we'd prefer to keep the flavor to a minimum. When players receive treasures, they should be able to get it with as much a blank slate as we can give them. I understand you enjoy writing this part of the treasure, and I hate to interfere with creativity, but things about the rarity or the effects on back problems or the fact that it belonged to a group of master assassins... these things, ideally, can and should be done on the individual character level. When your character receives a treasure, you're welcome to give it as much backstory as you want it. However, the items that are created through Treasure Creation ought to be done so with the public in mind, and that means leaving things open even moreso than just "They could be anywhere."

While you may be picking this up for a character with this whole backlore you've described, someone else may be interested in the treasure and want to get it without it having all of that attached to it, and we want them to be able to do that. If this is really just a courage-based version of rage, in practice, then I don't feel it's necessary add a whole lot of description or restriction saying how rare it is.

More than just this, we want to maintain the integrity of the library and the setting too. In the library, the vast majority of treasures have about a single sentence dedicated to describing the way the treasure looks and maybe where it came from, but little more than that. At an absolute max, the treasure's flavor elements shouldn't be more than 1/3 of the treasure's description, but in this case it's pretty clearly over half.

Quill has managed to narrow things down to a pretty digestible length, but I'm bringing this up mostly because it's been a recurring theme, and it would be good if we were on the same page. I'm asking Quill to make some slight revisions even to his rewording to show a bigger emphasis on the effect, so he should be responding in a bit.

Sorry for not really being clear on this until now, but your patience is appreciated.
  19. Quill

The Reaction Bracelet is shaped like a snake coiled around the wearer's wrist and bearing an emerald in its jaws. The bracelet is capable of doubling the wearer's reaction time and sensory perceptions; however, the wearer's actual movement speed is not affected. The bracelet can be activated at any time, but the wearer will become twice as fatigued while it is active.

For example. A character is standing in the middle of a deserted square. With this bracelet activated, he can hear an arrow twang from a bow and he can react quickly enough to throw himself out of the way in time. He would feel, though, as if he had just dove to the side twice in rapid succession.

---

Also, if this is based off of Rage, maybe it's prices should be the same.
  20. Tsubori

Why is adding personality to the treasure THAT bad? I never specify WHERE they were, WHO they were, or WHEN they were. If someone wanted to, try could easily just get the treasure and ignore the backstory. If having personality in our treasures is that bad, let me know, because I'm just trying to add some consistency to the treasure. Now in that description they aren't even rare at all. I'll admit, I'm feeling pretty irritated about completely harmless things being demonized.