New Races?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I'm going to apologize in advance for this wall of text. This has been a (long) time coming, but, I'm finally looking to add monster races--and a few other races which until now have been forgotten. First, let me explain why I'm posting this now.

While the new Library is still a work-in-progress, it now contains almost every non-Major, non-Unique treasure of HC, plus a few new ones. But that's beside the point. The point is, I'm getting to the part where I'm adding racial treasures into it. Thus, this seems as good a time as any to propose adding new races, and mixing up origins & character creation.

Once the new Library is up and I replace the current Character Creation thread, Origins will only be mandatory for the first character one creates, and can be bent with any characters created after that point. (Really, though, people are already bending them a bit harder than I assume was originally intended.) Furthermore, racial treasures will be replaced with the Racial Perks system suggested a while back, allowing one to freely choose from an assortment of racial treasures. That should give a little more context to the races I'm suggesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Moblin or Yeti would be freely creatable by anyone. A Newcomer could even make his first character from one of them. Below are brief summaries of how these races would appear on HC.
    Moblin (open)
    Tribes of Moblins would be spread throughout the darker regions of Hyrule as one of the most populous races of monsters, but are focused primarily in Southern Hyrule. Their ruthless, primitive nature caused Ganon to incorporate them into his army--and rumor has it, many of the ones he uses were created by supernatural means.

"Moblin" as a race would incorporate traditional Moblins, as well as Bulbins, Bokoblins, Miniblins, and even Goriya. Most would have 2/1/1, but the smaller Miniblins would have 1/2/1, and Bulbins might have 1/1/2. In short, Moblins as a whole could have a +1 to any one aspect of their PWC, like Hylians.

Yeti (open)
    Until recent years of expansion, and the influx of escapees into Northern Hyrule, most of the northern region remained unexplored. There were myths of giant men covered in white hair, but such sightings were viewed with skepticism at best. That all changed when one Hylian lass brought a Yeti back with her into Castle Town...

Yeti reside almost exclusively in Snowhead, but can also be found sparsely throughout the Subrosian glacier. While they're decently intelligent, they tend to live in isolated tribes, and have very limited understanding of the Hylian language or the world as a whole. It's theorized that more of them may lie to the north. They can range from the size of a typical adult Hylian, to as large as nine feet tall. Largely because of their size, a Yeti always has 2/1/1.

More monster races would fall into a "Special" category, as would all races that were previously Veteran-exclusive. Veterans could (still) use any of these races for free. Any other player would need to gain a race "license" for 100 rupees, which would enable that player to create an unlimited number of characters for that race. I.e., obtaining a "Subrosian License" would enable one to create any number of Subrosians, but not Skull Kids. This purchase could be made out-of-character (through a certain twisted NPC), or could be acquired in-character. In the latter, it's assumed that the character would obtain a mundane item trinket relating to the race. (For example, finding a long-lost flute in the Lost Woods might lead to a chance encounter with a Skull Kid, who is introduced as the player's newest character.) If the player ever became a Veteran, the character who expended 100 on the license rupees would be refunded.

Skull Kids, Tokay, Subrosians, and Picori would remain mostly unchanged. A Picori would now normally have a PWC of 1/2/2, but be able to gain 2/2/2 and certain other benefits if it accepted the Huge Potential racial perk (which would now prevent him/her from changing size with another treasure). All four races would be given more options for racial perks. In addition to those four, I'm proposing the following races be added. Below are brief summaries of how these races would appear on HC.

Lizalfos (open)
    A normal Lizalfos would have either 2/1/1 or 1/1/2. Most would make their homes in the feral world of Moruge Swamp, feuding with River Zora and Mad Scrubs. They are naturally vicious and primal, and as such, many were recruited into Ganon's army (although such recruits aren't playable characters). Most Hylians fear them as monsters, so, naturally, they wouldn't be welcome in places like Castle Town.

Lizalfos racial perks would include options for Fire Breath and Winged Flight. Lizalfos with the gift of breathing fire are known as Dinolfos, while those born with wings are called Aeralifos.

Stalfos (open)
    Found primarily in Ikana and long-lost graveyards, Stalfos are exactly what they appear to be: moving, thinking, animated skeletons. A Stalfos is an undead monster created by dark magic, an influx of supernatural power, or other forces not even Stalfos understand. While many Stalfos have been raised into Ganon's army, others are completely separate. A Stalfos usually (but not always) has no recollection of his (or her) former life, and usually has no physical or mental similarities to their former self. A freshly-risen Stalfos would often seem as though it has amnesia, as it usually possesses an adult's mindset, maturity, and intelligence, but has no idea who it is or how it crawled out of a grave.

Like Hylians and Moblins, Stalfos can have a +1 to any aspect of PWC. While they tend towards Power, smaller skeletons, like those of children or Kokiri, often have more focus on Courage. While unusual, some are raised with innate wisdom or magical powers, granting them a +1 to Wisdom instead.

Needless to say, most sentient, living beings will fight or flee upon seeing a Stalfos, regardless of its disposition.

Twili (open)
    Hailing from another dimension thought to be parallel to Hyrule, Twili are a rare sight, even rarer than Subrosians. Thanks to a few well-known beings in cities like Castle-Town, however, it is widely understood that these creatures exist. Most Hylians know little of Twili, and most Twili know little of Hyrule. Transport from one dimension to the other is usually accidental, occasionally intentional, and almost always irreversible. As such, most Twili who come into this land rarely have any hope of turning back... and like Picori, will have no idea how to speak the Hylian language without assistance from a Jabber Nut or similar treasure.

Magic in the Twilight Realm is much more common and much more understood, granting Twili an optional Magic Proficiency, and is mainly why the race has a PWC of 1/2/1.

An "Elite" race must always be earned separatedly, and costs 200 rupees (or 100 rupees for Veterans). A member of this race is incredibly skilled in one area--being the only race which starts with a 3 in a PWC aspect--and is incredibly rare. Below are brief summaries of how each of these races would appear on HC.
    Darknut (open)
    Darknuts are the embodiment of battle. Since they are solely created from powerful magic, it is appropriate to say they are literally born into platemail, wielding weapons larger than most Hylians can lift. They are among Ganon's favored soldiers, and for good reason, but are among the most difficult races to manifest. Darknuts used as player-characters were created by magic, whether intentional or accidental, and were never subjected to the mind control of Ganon.

Their bodies bear the same canine appearances revealed in Wind Waker. Though Darknuts lack any society, they do have a mutual understanding with their own kind, and are "born" with a strong sense of duty and conviction. Naturally, they always have a starting PWC of 3/1/1, and have an aptitude for Power-based Techniques.

Most beings will fear Darknuts, but shorter ones can pass through towns as Hylians or Goron, so long as their true appearance remains burried in armor.

Wizzrobe (open)
    Wizzrobes are the incarnation of magic itself, and have natural talent in spellcasting which can make a skilled wizard seem like a novice. It is believed that this race is a highly twisted variant of other races, predominantly Hylians and Gerudo. Their bodies are veiled so as to mask the hideous disfiguration that they suffer as a side-effect of the sheer magic power coursing through their veins. Some Wizzrobes were once mortal, while others were supposedly manifested from magic, and others still only persist due to magic-obessed madness inflicted upon them by some curse. As Wizzrobes often exude and crave power, many flocked to Ganon's army, while others remain separate.

Due to their power and grotesque appearance, Wizzrobes can rarely appear in normal society without some form of disguise. Naturally, they always have a starting PWC of 1/3/1, and have an aptitude for Wisdom-based Offensive Spells.

Sheikah (open)
    A legendary and secretive clan of Hylians, the Sheikah race are descendents of elite spies and protectors of the Royal Family. The only physically distinguishing mark they have from normal Hylians are red eyes, but, supposedly, normal Hylians can also possess irises of the same hue. Or at least, that's what a Sheikah veiled as a normal Hylian would tell you.

While some Sheikah may still serve the crown, a player-character Sheikah would merely be a descendant. For the purposes of treasures, they can pass as Hylians, but also gain a few unique racial perks of their own. They have a starting PWC of 1/1/3.

Lynel (open)
    Lynels, also known as Centaurs, once dominated the primtive land of Hyrule many years ago. Wielding a longsword in each arm, these 8-foot-tall man-beasts shot forth lethal beams from each blade. As the land was tamed by Hylians, however, Lynel have become increasingly scarce. Despite their intelligence and power, they are feared as monsters, and are hunted down upon sight. Largely because of this, many have made their way into the ranks of Ganon's army, where their power, endurance, and speed can be properly appreciated. The few that don't tend towards the fields, defending the last stretches of open land that haven't yet been stolen by either Ganon or Hyrule. Unsurprisingly, they rarely trust any but their own kind.

Lynels have a starting PWC of 3/1/1, and have an optional racial perk which effectively functions like a constant Power Beam.

Garo (open)
    What is a Garo? ...If you saw one in its true form, it would kill you. If you killed it, there wouldn't be a corpse remaining to prove it. Indeed, no one can speak of a Garo and expect anyone to believe him. In truth, they are a secretive tribe of elite warriors--supposedly, they are "pure shadow," but take stout humanoid forms. They are masters of illusion, deception, maneuverability, and the blade. No one seems to know a Garo's true motives, other than a Garo.

Garo have a starting PWC of 1/1/3, and have a racial perk which enables them to create a false guise using an illusion. It is in this way that a Garo hides his true nature. Most Garo function in secretive sects, separate from one another, only keeping in loose contact. Needless to say, a Garo only truly respect other Garo; anything pointing to the contrary is a ruse.

Ascending Fairy (open)
    A Fairy is created, or "born," through the magic of other Fairies, in a tiny form of concentrated magic power. ON tiny wings, they fly through the forests of Kokiri, and occasionally venture out into the true world of Hyrule. A rare few transcend to become Great Fairies, beings of unimaginable magic power and benevolence.

Player-character Fairies are only in between these two. She has graduated from a tiny form into a Hylian-like body with wings, and a grace most mortals can never hope to match. In this new form, the Ascending Fairy has much greater potential to reach the magical brilliance of a Great Fairy, but, it will take decades before their Fairy magic allows them to truly transcend into such amazing beings. Most Ascending Fairies hide in fountains, letting their magic build over time. Most player-characters, however, might try to make an impact on the world.

Ascending Fairies have a general understanding that, although mortal races don't hate them, they aren't ready to intermingle with what they perceive to be a Great Fairy. As such, an Ascending Fairy will usually go out of her way to hide her wings in towns or other public places, only revealing their true origins and powers to those they trust.

Ascending Fairies have a starting PWC of 1/3/1, and have an optional racial perk which gives them a benefit on Wisdom-based Defensive Spells.

Poe (open)
    Like a Stalfos, a Poe is raised from the dead. Unlike a Stalfos, it may possess a vague recollection of its former life, particularly if it died with some unfinished task in its mind. These beings are usually manifested through mysterious magical occurrences. Unlike a Stalfos, a Poe has no physical body, naturally appearing only as a small, hovering wisp. This wisp is their natural state. Only through focus can a Poe gain around itself a ghostly form capable of being seen and (mis)understood by other beings; it is with this form that the Poe can hope to interact with the world.

Most Poes take to hiding its wisp in a lamp. Since it can only see and hear the world through the wisp, the glass windows allow it to do so. The steel cage helps to protect it. Finally, the small size enables it to be carried about by its manifested body. A Poe can carry its wisp in other ways, but most means aren't as advantageous.

Poes are usually misunderstood as monsters. Their minds are filled with dread over their lost lives, their forgotten loved ones, and the nagging feeling that they once had some incredible task that they've left undone--the most fortune of Poes are able to remember exactly what this task was. Largely because of these reasons, a typical Poe is a maclious being, whose hatred and rage is only outdone by its loneliness and frustration. Most have no affiliation with Ganon, nor anyone else, only persisting in a lonely, miserable undeath.

Like Hylians and Moblins, Poes can have a +1 to any aspect of PWC--but the sort able to manifest forms tend towards Courage. Though they lack the higher PWC of other Elite races, they have several powerful racial perks, including flight, become almost completely invisible, and being particularly difficult to kill without direct damage.

Oocca (open)
    Nah, just kidding. Having a playable race without hands might be a bit much... Other races which came to mind included Parella, Zuna, Anouki, the robots from Skyward Sword, Fokka, and Vires. Most were omitted due to their obscurity, and some due to their impracticality. I can only imagine playing a Parella to be annoying, given how you can only function underwater.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, the race additions I propose are listed above. I'm looking for you (and as many members as possible) to vote on each individual race as to whether it should be added (Aye), never allowed to be played on HC (Nay), or if something about my implementation of it should change (Maybe). For various reasons, I'd rather not just make it a poll. I'd like you to respond to this thread, and give at least a little input on every race (or at least the ones you care about).

In summary, the total combination of playable races would look like this:

Normal (12)
    - Hylian
    - Goron
    - Zora
    - Deku Scrub
    - Gerudo
    - Rito
    - Mogma
    - Kikwi
    - Korok
    - Kokiri
    - Moblin (new)
    - Yeti (new)

Special (7)
    - Tokay
    - Subrosian
    - Skull Kid
    - Picori
    - Twili (new)
    - Lizalfos (new)
    - Stalfos (new)

Elite (6)
    - Darknut (new)
    - Lynel (new)
    - Wizzrobe (new)
    - Fairy (new)
    - Garo (new)
    - Sheikah (new)
    - Poe (new)

So. Yes? No? Suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts? Observations? Let me know! :tpr:
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    Exeggutor and Premium Chaos like this.
  2. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Yus Darknut yus!

The other races look good to me as well. Aye on everything from me.
  3. Premium Chaos

Premium Chaos Member reg

This is really awesome and a long time coming. Glad to have an opportunity to play as a monster if I wish. Now if only I had more time.
  4. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    AERALIFOS SHEIKAH AND FAIRY WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME GUY

Seriously though, I'm gonna need to get on this. I approve of all these additions, and would likely be willing to help out with grading the profiles for some of these to make sure the racial standards don't get bent -too- far. Will Fairies get Winged Flight, like Aeralifos?
    Guy likes this.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Small fairies aren't playable largely because they fly at crazy speeds, and would be vastly overpowered on the Arena. Great Fairies (upon which Ascending Fairies are based) are never seen flying, but then again, are never seen standing either. Something more like a hovering ability seems more appropriate. So, I'm assuming an Ascending Fairy will have the magical ability to effortlessly hover in place, and using effort she could float through the air at a slow speed.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to make Aeralfos seem balanced. Winged Flight for Rito only really works because a Rito's hands can't be used in mid-flight. I'm somewhat worried that having separate wings could be a bit much, so they'd have to tire quickly, or have some other sort of limit...

But, yeah, I'm intending to keep the any races in a given tier balanced. Veteran/Special races were always supposed to have a slightly higher standard than normal races, and Elite races will have a slightly higher standard above that. I don't have all the details yet, but, obviously, I don't want to make any race too good. Most of the racial abilities will be posted first on the Library, which you're editing, so hopefully if you see something wrong there, you can appropriately kick me in the skull.

Of course, I'd be eager to hear any ideas for racial perks anyone has. The new races & perks, as well as everything in the new Library, will likely have a brief period of a week or two after work on it is done, where everything is tentative. In this tentative period, and player would have an easier time voicing a complaint or suggesting a change--before the entire thing becomes finalized and incorporated into HC, replacing the old Library.
  6. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I... um... oh my god. Sweet Nayru. This looks beautiful. :yomp:

I suppose I should try and form a more articulate response but my mind is, like, having an idea-gasm right now.

I'll try and come up with something more constructive and post later, sorry guy. :yomp:
  7. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

I'mma be an EVIL Fairy!
    Well, should I ever become an elite, anyway.
    Honestly, though, this looks PHANTASTIC IT IS EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED APART FROM EVERY ZELDA GAME EVER, INFINITE TIME/COMFORT TO PLAY THEM IN, AND PEOPLE AROUND ME TO TALK WITH.
    ... Squee.
  8. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Ohmygoodallthepossibilities

I very much like this idea, also with having to do something first to be able to get some of the more exotic/rare races. I've gotta do my best to become a veteran so I can play as an Ooca :tpr:
  9. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    ...between Eternis, Squishy, and possibly others, did they or I misunderstand this? Non-Veterans DO have access to the last batch of new races; it just costs 200 rupees to acquire each license. That was, to my knowledge, the entire point of making the current vet races purchasable...
  10. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...Oi.

Blondie's right, all of the races are playable to anyone, even the Elite races. Veterans just don't have to pay rupees for Special races to use them(unlike everyone else), and can pay less for Elite races (each of which everyone has to purchase to use). Because you at least need rupees to play Special or Elite races, such a race can't be your first character, as you need at least one characters' rupees to pay for them.

And Oocca aren't playable. If you read the race's description, that was a joke. There's too many treasures they wouldn't feasibly be able to use.

EDIT: I mean, I didn't spend as much time proofreading that post as I usually do, but I didn't think it was that bad. :tpr:
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  11. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I dunno. I never really felt like there was going to be a new "rank," and the entire point of it was to make it so that regs could get new stuff.

Not sure where the misunderstanding came from, honestly...
  12. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

That was my bad, I skipped over the description ;_; I was actually kind of looking forward to make an Ooca character to be honest :tpr:
  13. Premium Chaos

Premium Chaos Member reg

I understood everything Guy. :p
    Guy likes this.