Master Ore [A Link Between Worlds]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Chaos James, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Master Ore
    Type: Utility Magical Item
    Fields: Enchant
    Costs: 80 rupees

Master Ore is a material which can be used by a blacksmith. It appears as an orange chunk of crystal-like metal ore, which has no special effect on its own. Exceedingly rare, it usually takes great effort to get even a single piece, but is usually worth the price.

A single Master Ore can be used in the initial crafting process alongside regular metals that make up the bulk of the item, or later used in tempering a single item. When Master Ore is used, it harmonizes the other materials used to make an item, allowing materials that usually can't mix together, like Cold Iron, or Mirror Slivers, to form a proper bond and function correctly. Likewise, Master Ore will never conflict with other materials even if the other material says it would.

Trivia:
    • The Master Ore treasure does not appear verbatim within the official Zelda series. However, it can be interpreted to exist from clues given in the series, initially so in a Link Between Worlds.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So yes, this is my suggestion for Master Ore, posted at the request of Guy as he was busy and couldn't write anything up for it at the time. Any comments or suggestions are welcome, the price I chose because it was pricey, and would take at least two (2) Dungeon Runs to earn, or two Quests (assuming that the player didn't already have rupees to purchase with). Price suggestions are welcome though, if it is thought that it should be more (or, I guess, less. But I doubt that would be the case).
  2. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'm not sure if I should be stepping in here, but... as I recall, Mirror Silver was made unmixable with other materials to balance it. Wouldn't this treasure kind of beat the point of that balancing?
  3. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    I don't see why you wouldn't step in and offer your input if you have it, twas my request after all. Anyone is free to ask or point out or suggest I would imagine.

~~~
    Point at hand, while it would allow one to "beat" the limitations of certain material restrictions, that is sort of the effect trying to be had, just at an additional cost.

Perhaps if it cost more?
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

To craft an item with nothing but Master Ore (since it costs 80 rupees), one would need to be Lv8 in Blacksmithing. To be able to do that, it requires an investment over time of 380 rupees. To be able to actually use Mirror Silver with Master Ore on one item, it would require 570 rupees invested in Blacksmithing--not even including the cost of the actual materials.

If anything, I would think Master Ore be less expensive, if it was to be added... :tpr: ...I mean, it requires less of an investment to get a permanent +3 to a character's PWC than to be able to craft Master Ore + Mirror Silver, and that's not even considering the 100 rupee cost of the actual materials.
  5. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    o_o how did I forget to factor in the actual crafting skill needed to make use of this material. Well crud...

Well, Cold Iron is 40 Rupees, Mirror Silver is 25 Rupees.
    To use both of those together in one blade IF they were compatible would be 65 Rupees, or a Blacksmithing Lv7, which would cost 300 Rupees. So the total investment to forge such a blade, for example, would be 365 Rupees.

I guess a good price for Mirror Silver, which would also facilitate a few more levels of Blacksmithing, which would increase the cost a good 80-380 if we range it between 10-40 Rupees, matching Cold Iron.

I'm sort of at a loss for price suggestions, but I guess it's meant to be rare ore for epic things after all, but GAH BRAIN HURTS!
  6. Chaos James

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    40r Cold Iron + 25r Mirror Silver = 65r
    + 20r Master Ore = 85r = Lv9

(30+20+30)+(40+50)+(60+70)+(80+90)=(80+90)+(130+170)=170+300=470r

So, to forge Cold Iron and Mirror Silver together (example being) using Master Ore would require a Lv9 Blacksmith, which would cost them 470r. Then the combined cost of the materials, 85r, makes a Cold Mirror Sword cost 555 rupees.

So *maybe* 20r as a cost might do, basically pushing up the required Level of the Blacksmith by two. If it went as low as 10r, then it would help the cost by about 100r, requiring a Blacksmith Lv8 and the total cost being 455r, 100 less.

I assume that the crazy amount of Blacksmith levels and rupee cost of levels and materials will still make the Master Ore "rare" at 10r, since I doubt many will bother stockpiling it. Maybe at the very least restrict Master Ore collection at 1 PerQuest.

tl;dr - 10r may work as a price, probably no higher then 20r.
  7. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    Alright CJ, realk talk: 10-20r as a pricing for master ore is a fucking awful idea, and here's why.

As it currently stands, the purpose of the material is to allow uncombinable materials to be combined. Alright, understandable; after all, it is used to temper the master sword twice. Fair enough. But what you need to realize is that master ore at that price, no matter how many you could per quest or whatever other shitty clause whomever dictates to add, you could feasibly give a forged item the indestructibily of goron iron, and the reflectiveness of mirror silver, all for a little more than eight levels of crafting.

"But crafting is expensive!" Yeah, fair enough, but so are so many other treasures on HC. Hell, with professions being made cheaper, you're even practically given a way to mitigate the cost, especially when crafting's payout doesn't begin to outmatch a fully-leveled profession until level 26, and even then by only two rupees.

Combine the above with an admittedly lackluster selection of materials, I support a higher cost for maater ore; a higher cost would, from a roleplay perspective, indicate a higher rarity, and the higher skill level involved would be associated with a character's adeptness in blacksmithing. After all, your everyday chump certainly shouldn't be able to utilize such an item.

Just my thoughts; but yeah, 10-20r is ludicrous. I'd support something more like 60, 65r, just for the sake of giving the Smith treasure a bit more use. Opinions?