Frost's Cape

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Blonde Panther, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Name: Frost's Cape.
    P/W/C Type: Courage.
    Appearance: A cape, usually white or light blue in color, possibly crafted from the pelt of a large , cold-resistant beast.
    Description of Function: Protects the wearer from all cold. Basically it functions as a Goron Tunic, except it protects from extremely low temperatures as opposed to from extremely high ones.
    Limitations: Subrosians still need to wear their own robes.
    Notes: If this treasure seems familiar, well... that's because it is. My character Autumn took this as her reward from the Winter Event: the Wolfos in June 2012 (Proof) but it was never put into the library, despite me bringing it up twice or three times since.

Treasure write-up (open)
    Standard Treasure
    `Frost’s Cape
    Original; Blonde Panther, magic-tier, defense.
    [Cold], [Protection]

C5: 60 Rupees.
    C4: 80 Rupees.
    C3: 120 Rupees.
    C2: 160 Rupees.
    C1: 320 Rupees.

Frost’s Capes come in different shapes, but most are either enchanted, crafted from the skin of a creature resistant to cold, or a combination of both. Wearing a large enough one renders the wearer impossible to freeze and largely if not completely impervious to cold and ice. However, due to their special needs, Subrosians still need to wear their own robes.
  2. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

This feels kinda redundant with both Ice-Weave Cloth and the Zora Tunic existing. What does everyone else think?
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    If I may interject, RD, the Ice Weave Cloth did not exist at the time this treasure was first submitted. If anything, THAT is the redundant treasure. Additionally, the Zora Tunic protects from mild frost damage, whereas this treasure makes the wearer all but impervious to it.
  4. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Well, I think what RD is trying to get across is this: Couldn't you make a Frost's Cape with Ice Weave Cloth? And while IWC may have been the one to come second, it was the first in the LoT. Frost's Cape wasn't put in the LoT because it was an exclusive treasure.
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Actually, Toko, no, I can't. I don't have any Crafting levels on that character- besides, the 60 rupees for it have already been paid. Not to mention that the appearance of the Ice Weave Cloth is included in its library description, and the mantle that Autumn has does not fit that appearance.
  6. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I'm not sure the treasures are redundant. When the Fire Weave Cloth was going through TC, it was passed because it didn't grant its wearer the same amount of protection as the Goron Tunic. Not only was it cheaper and less powerful, but it also only protected those parts of the body it actually covered. The same principles, I think, apply here. Ice Weave Cloth would be the "poor man's Frost Cape," and it would also, in my mind, be acceptable as two completely different character-type's ways of arriving at the same conclusion (crafter vs. C-based).

As for the Zora Tunic, BP's right; it "enables the user to withstand mild frost damage and cold temperatures" as a side-effect, a bonus, to its main purpose of breathing underwater. I don't think it renders the FC obsolete at all.

I would be happy with passing this as a generic "Frost Tunic" treasure, virtually the same as the Goron Tunic, and let BP customize it as a cape cut from the Wolfos in her RP. The Goron Tunic specifically says that it works if a significant amount of cloth is used, so I can't see any issue there.
  7. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

Quill makes a good point. When this came up originally with the cloth treasures that was our reasoning for passing them, so I don't have a problem with us reversing the logic for this situation.
  8. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

That's fine with me, so it gets my vote of approval.
  9. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

All of the other tunics are Power, so I think it'd be best to stick with that. However, this was Autumn's reward for the Winter Event, so it shouldn't be an issue for you, BP. I also took the liberty of copying the Goron and Zora tunics, in that they both negated some race's weakness. The only thing I could immediately think of with a glaring weakness to the cold is a Zora, but if there are others, or if this was a bad idea, just lemme know.

`Frost Tunic
    aka: 'Frost Cape, `Cold Armor, `Ice Armor
    Canonical, Magic-Tier - Defense
    [Fire], [Goron], [Protection]

P5: 60 rupees
    P4: 80 rupees
    P3: 120 rupees
    P2: 160 rupees
    P1: 320 rupees

Constructed from either magic or the hides of arctic Wolfos, this white piece of armor need not necessarily be a tunic. However, wearing a large enough piece of it renders the wearer impossible to freeze and almost completely impervious to cold and ice. In addition, this negates the cold weakness of the Zoras.
  10. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'm down with this.