Free as a Bird [Ulivali]

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Nameless, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Well, I do have a wagon," Ruairi said like it was the most normal thing in the world – it was for him, after all,
    "Where else would I fit all my clothes? My closets are already filled to the brim! No way I could carry them on my own – they wouldn't even fit in my arms," he motioned and waved through the air with his hands as he talked about everything in excitement. If his clothes already were some kind of props, then there was no way he could really fit anything else in his wagon. He wanted a place to sleep, after all…

The Rito made sure to finish his bowl before the other bird person wanted it back, getting up onto his feet and following Ulivali like the excited puppy he was now that he had agreed to both show him a bar and join him in there. When he had been able to eat a warm meal for free, that meant there was more extra money in his pockets for fun things!
    "Oh, oh. I can't wait. This is going to be so great! No way I was expecting that this night could get so fun when I drove here! Usually, it's a pretty quiet place with nothing interesting going on, just yet another stop on the way to get food and supplies. It's so rare to have… Company!"

Ruairi was just talking up a storm and sounding like he was bouncing from one side to the other, his voice often coming from a completely different direction than a little while ago. He was quite positively bristling with excitement and energy. For someone who was raised in a group with very little room for privacy, perhaps these long stretches when he was alone took their toll and really made him want to take advantage of every moment he had the ability to chat.

Didn't really help with cleaning up, though. He probably hadn't even considered it. If one thing was clear, it was probably that the Rito wasn't exactly domestically inclined.
  2. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

Ulivali raised an eyebrow as he closed up his pack, re-evaluating his image of the other Rito and his apparent financial status. He shouldn’t be too surprised, he supposed - based on the manner of acrobatic performance arts Ruairi had described, it was no shock that his skill and vivid passion meant his art was well appreciated. “You are well-prepared, then!” Ulivali responded with a laugh, picking up his pack and slinging it over one shoulder. “I can understand that. I am not much one for fine clothes, but working with fabrics and hides is my trade, and I can never carry enough with me. Heavens forbid I want to sew while on the road,”

The Rito crouched to retrieve his staff before straightening. “Mind if we go by the inn I’m staying in first? I’d rather not bring my whole pack with me to the bar. It’s not far off our route,”
    He lightly let the rounded tip of his cane connect with the ground, settling his grip before he began feeling his way out of the eating area back towards the road with quick taps. He found the energy of his newfound companion somewhat infectious, and was surprised to realise that there was a smile across his own face.

He stopped at the edge of the path. “Haven’t forgotten anything, have I?” he asked Ruairi. “Yesterday some kind soul had to chase me down because I left my spoon behind, which was a touch embarrassing. I’d rather not repeat the spectacle.” Waiting a moment for Ruairi’s answer, Ulivali reached to his left to confirm the post at the edge of the path was there before heading on his way towards the inn and the bar. He sidestepped a pothole filled with old rain-water as he went.
  3. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"You don't say?" Ruairi stroked his chin as the other Rito mentioned he worked with clothes and did sewing,
    "Shoot, I got a ton of clothes that should be patched up! I can just never get around to doing that. Not that I am very good at it, either. Oh, oh, and I could do with a new wardrobe," the young Rito seemed to already be looking far off into the distant future with all the great things he could have with the aid of Ulivali… Probably not thinking about the fact how long everything would take, and the Rito had never even mentioned being interested in doing so. And he didn't exactly have the money to pay for it, either.

Still, he was dreaming about it.

Ruairi was snapped out of it by Ulivali wanting to go to the inn to drop off his belongings, before a night out drinking. That definitely was a good idea!
    "Oh? Yeah, that's a good move. Then you can't accidentally lose it, either!" The Rito grinned and laughed, as he was ready to follow his drinking buddy for the night. Perhaps one would consider it quite foolish for someone who could see to follow a blind man to their destination, but Ruairi didn't seem to be considering that. He did glance behind him to check for the other Rito when he was asked, though.
    "Doesn't seem like it," he confirmed, as he continued walking,
    "You've been staying at the inn? Those can be so expensive sometimes. Sure am glad I got a roof on wheels coming along with me, otherwise spending too many nights under the sky would surely get to me."
  4. Electronic Ink

Ulivali nodded. “I mean, I can fix them up for you for a few rupees. Patching clothing doesn’t take too long. You’ll just have to come with me to find the right fabrics, to make sure I use the right colours.” He’d learned that lesson quite a few times; he’d stopped trying to select fabrics in stores by himself after he’d mended Bakk’s cloak with a ghastly green patch that apparently stood out like a sore thumb against the dark blue cloak. Unpicking his stitching on that occasion had taken so long he decided that particular facet of independence was simply not worth the hassle.

He could practically hear the cogs in Ruairi’s brain turning as they walked, tracing the path back to the inn. He nodded at the other Rito’s comment. “Luckily, I was able to make a deal with Maria, who runs the inn. She had quite a lot of old bedding that she wasn’t able to use because it had tears or had frayed, so she offered me a discount in return for mending them.” He didn’t say aloud that he was fairly confident Maria had taken pity on him. “I’m not complaining; setting up camp out in the field is not exactly easy when I’m not familiar with my surroundings. I have a bad habit of camping right on the edge of the road so I won’t become lost, and I’ve had my tent trod on by carthorses before because of it. Much safer to be in a fixed structure. Although your wagon seems to be the perfect middle ground, I must say,”

As they reached the inn Ulivali pushed open the door. “I’ll be right back,” he promised, reaching forward to find the balustrade before swiftly ascending the stairs to his room, the third one along. It was simple, a plain bed, a small wooden table, and a cupboard with shelves. The rug that had been on the floor when he first arrived was rolled up under the bed; the Rito wasn’t fond of obstacles underfoot. He dropped his pack on the cupboard shelf next to his armour, stretching his shoulders before returning to the doorway.
  5. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Oh, right," Ruairi hummed, as if he hadn't considered that someone who was blind would have trouble finding the right kind of fabric. Then again, perhaps he was often forgetting about the whole blindness thing. How would the clothes made by someone who couldn't see them even look like? What a curious dilemma indeed…

He walked along with a springy step, his mind filled with pleasant ponderings and the booze that would fill the rest of the night. Ruairi let a small hmm out as Ulivali explained about the deal for a cheaper room. That was pretty smart! Especially if the alternative was to get trampled by horses. His gaze lingered on the Rito for a while, trying to see any hoof or wheel marks left on him.
    "Wagons are real great. I wouldn't be too keen on living the rest of my life in a house that doesn't move, stuck in the same place for way too long. I should show it to you later! It's real neat," he finally replied, boasting about his lifestyle. A house he could travel with? That was all he needed.

Well, that, and plenty of nice clothes and jewelry and…

The Rito hopped inside the inn, agreeing to stay behind. He paced around the lobby, lazily looking around the decorations, making small walk with the receptionist… Until he heard the sounds of someone descending the stairs, and giving the blind Rito a very useless wave and grin before rushing over.

"And now, for the drinks! Hoo has it been a while, especially with company. Now's a good night to have a real party!"
  6. Electronic Ink

“Honestly, I would enjoy that,” Ulivali said, considering what a wagon that doubled as a house must be like. It would have to be quite cluttered, he felt, but he appreciated their ability to move. Having lived a semi-nomadic life with the Pachatuku people since leaving Dragon Roost, being tethered in one spot permanently was not his idea of nesting. Well. He’d happily nest anywhere with a flock, but living and travelling alone was a different story.

Once again Ruairi’s enthusiasm brought a grin to his face. “You’re in high spirits!” he proclaimed as he walked out the door. “The bar is this way, follow me!” As they approached the bricked building neighbouring the general store, Ulivali slowed. The atmosphere sounded energetic but not rowdy, a chorus of voices all talking simultaneously inside. Many who had finished their day’s work tending to livestock or working in the fields had now taken their seat in the bar, drinking and laughing merrily.

The bar wasn’t a place Ulivali had frequented in his time in Lon Lon, and he unconsciously smacked his cane into the doorway as he entered. He paused. “After you, Ruairi - is there anywhere you’d like to sit?” Truth be told, it was too crowded in here for Ulivali to have a read on his surroundings even when he focused on the gentle feedback of his sensing magic. He quickly decided that having a drink or two was definitely the right idea, given it might take the edge off his nerves and make sure that he enjoyed his time with his newfound friend.
  7. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Of course I am!" Ruairi grinned. Hard not to be in high spirits when he could soon enjoy some spirits, right? He practically skipped along the road as they continued the way. He had been in Lon Lon before himself, though he seemed to be very willing of letting someone who was blind lead him to the bar. In the darkening evening, the bar was honestly like a beacon beckoning the thirsty to take a seat inside. The windows had such a nice, soft glow from afar, so warm and inviting. The sounds coming from inside made it sound like a busy place – though not too busy, yet. Just a pleasant babbling of voices having a conversation and laughing.

The Rito was so ready for it too. He went ahead and opened the door with excitement, the sounds that had been muffled by the walls now freely traveling to their ears. It was dimly lit by the small lamps on the walls, providing a very hazy and almost thick atmosphere. It definitely wasn't the biggest drinking spot around, but that just made it… Cozy! Plenty of free spots for them to take, despite the patrons around. Some quick glances were shot in the direction of the newcomers, but they hardly were anything very special for eyes to linger about. Ruairi's own gaze just scanned around to figure out where they should sit.

"Well, there's some seats right by the counter," he hummed. The barkeep was there, tending the wooden countertop, the shelves behind him lined with various drinks. That was where they could get fast service. It also was looking like the busiest spot, but they still had the chance to squeeze in there.
    "Or maybe the corner," Ruairi continued, stroking his chin. Out of the way, in the darkest and quietest spot. They should probably get a lot of drinks upfront so they didn't have to get more anytime soon, but… At least then they wouldn't have to worry about someone wanting their precious spots by the counter, so they could drink in peace and take as long as they wanted!
    "Both have their merits."
  8. Electronic Ink

Ulivali considered for a moment. The corner of the room would be somewhat more sheltered and enable them to keep out of the bustling traffic in as the sun went down - but he’d almost certainly have to send Ruairi the distance to retrieve more drinks should they want them, given he was the obvious candidate to hold the table rather than try and carry both of their drinks in one hand and muddle his way across the room. That being said, even here he could barely hear Ruairi’s voice - trying to communicate right at the bar would be a right pain in the tail.
    “If you’re comfortable carrying the drinks, perhaps the corner,” he decided. “It will be nice to be able to hear ourselves think, let alone talk. However, if you’d rather not have to play the wait staff, I don’t object to the counter.”

The clink of glasses as a nearby table chorused a toast caught Ulivali’s attention, and he thought on what he might drink. He’d had a rather nice juniper cider the last time he’d been here, recommended by the barkeep. Perhaps he’d be more adventurous as the night went on - and hopefully no less mindful of his wallet - but he felt for now that the somewhat sweet taste of the cider was what he wanted. He reached for his pouch, plucking a few rupees from it and stepping forward uncertainly.
  9. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi just couldn't help but laugh and give a hearty pat on Ulivali's shoulder – though what was hearty for him was a pretty soft one.
    "Well, why not! Besides, if I don't feel like it, I'll just ask someone else," he grinned with a dismissive wave of his hand, and seemed to be very confident in his ability to be able to talk someone else into the task of bringing their drinks. Perhaps he had some experience with that.
    "Come, come. Let's go ask about some drinks first," the Rito continued, grabbing Ulivali's arm as he started to practically drag the other Rito to the counter, pushing through the crowds. They needed to know what they could buy, first and foremost!

"Ooooi, barkeep!" Ruairi's voice seemed to be able to travel despite the noise all around them. He gave a wave of his hand from afar, as he pulled poor Ulivali along. His eyes were already scanning all the bottles he could see behind the counter.
    "We could start with something lighter. Oh, or something sweet! How about a mead of some sort? That could be nice. We should definitely try to grab a bottle or two of something stronger so we don't have to think about refills too soon! Do you like wines?"

It was hard to say if the Rito was addressing the barkeep or Ulivali – or both? At the same time, or not?
  10. Electronic Ink

Ulivali blinked as he was pulled towards the bar at speed. Well, this certainly was one way of finding his way around! Ruairi’s sweet tastes were right up the second Rito’s alley, and it sounded like his new friend certainly knew how to party. “I’ve not had the wine here before, but I’m not against trying it! It’s not often I have cause to justify a more upscale drink. The juniper cider here is delicious, too, you should try it. Last time I was here the barkeep told me they had it brought from Rolling Ridge. I haven’t travelled up that way before, but apparently that’s where the cidermakers harvest the best berries,”

Truth be told, Ulivali did not have the most discerning tongue when it came to his alcohol; while he’d generally avoided getting properly plastered, he’d spent most of his adult life typically drinking whatever Kamat handed him. “I like your thinking, though. Purchasing a bottle will keep up going, and probably be cheaper than the same number of cups, honestly.”

Ulivali leaned on his staff, breathing in the atmosphere. “I trust your judgement, but I’m definitely throwing my rupees in the direction of that cider as one of our options.”
  11. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Riiiight?" Ruairi practically beamed so hard from pride when his amazing idea was praised – so hard, that even Ulivali could probably feel it! The suggestion of drinks was taken into account.
    "Barkeep! We're going to need two mugs of juniper cider if you still have it, two mugs of a nice mead of your choice, and a bottle of a good, sweet fruit wine! And not the cheapest stuff!" He called out the order, seeming to prefer to do it upfront. By relinquishing the choosing power to Ruairi, Ulivali could probably already feel his wallet cry out in pain. The Rito himself wasn't even making the final choices, leaving it in the hands of someone who knew their stock well.

And who knew if the drinks were going to end there…

Ruairi was just full of hums as he waited. He hadn't had the cider before – he probably wouldn't have had any of the drinks they were going to be getting, and that was what got him excited. New tastes, in new company – what not to love?
    "Actually… Please bring 'em over once you're done!" The Rito suddenly requested with a wave of his hand. There were drinks that had to be poured even before their order was fulfilled – he didn't want to wait and just stand there! He seemed to have full confidence in the drinks eventually appearing at their table, right in front of him.
    "Come, come, let's go get that table before someone else eyes it!" Ruairi grinned, and gave Ulivali's hand a tug as he started to push his way to the corner.
  12. Electronic Ink

Ulivali was startled by the abrupt volume of Ruairi's voice, quickly preening his feathers back into a position that looked less like he'd had a disagreement with lightning. This somewhat cushioned the surprise of the quantity ordered; although Ulivali had a firm honour deal with the barman to be honest about the price of what he asked about, he had absolutely no clue what Ruairi was getting him into. Although the final statement was giving him an inkling, for sure. He found himself quickly glad that he was a bit of a lightweight, but knew from experience that despite the physically light weight of most Rito some sure could drink Hylians under the table. He could only hope his new companion wasn't going for a record on Ulivali's wallet!

He had a moment to sheepishly wave his thanks to the barman before he was pulled towards the table, grateful for Ruairi's quick navigation. Dodging around other bargoers, Ulivali was quick to plop himself down on the seat, letting out a brief giggle-like noise of victory as if he'd been racing a nebulous other customer to win the table. "Hopefully the barman won't be long with the drinks," he said cheerfully, resting his staff against the wall beside him. "Uh, let me know if that gets stolen."
  13. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi just was all grins as he dragged Ulivali along, before being able to take a seat by the table as well. Yep, looked like a good spot. Secluded, not as noisy, gave a good view of the rest of the bar and what was happening – though that may not have been something the other Rito particularly cared for. But Ruairi liked it. It meant he could keep an eye on the status of their drinks!

At least they both were just as excited to be getting to the drinking part. Seemed like Ulivali couldn't wait, either.
    "You said it!" Ruairi laughed, his gaze fixated on the counter. The barkeep was still there, serving drinks. Hadn't left the station yet, so the drinks weren't coming right away, either. A pity. He was snapped out of it when Ulivali mentioned the staff, though, taking a look at the stick that was currently leaning against the wall.
    "Oh, is it valuable?" Seemed to be his first question. He didn't see any point in stealing something that wasn't, after all…

The first drinks they had ordered came soon enough, the mugs of cider carried on a tray before being placed on the table in front of them. Seemed like a busy enough night that the barkeep had to quickly rush back to the counter – and eventually bring the rest of the order.
  14. Electronic Ink

Ulivali shrugged. "Eh, in the monetary value sense? Not at all, it's just wood. But it took quite some time to carve just right, and without it I'm rather prone to tripping over everything it's possible to trip over. I can only hope the roads here look better than they feel, the cobblestone just about tries to trip me whenever I walk! Granted, it's not as bad as crossing Hyrule Field, but you would think the effort put into this by people would make it easier than crossing untapped land."

The sound of the tray on the table caught Ulivali's attention, and he quickly tapped along the table until he found it, picking up the mug of cider closest to him. "I'm sure there's something you'd like to toast to, Ruairi? I've never been especially good at the formalities of it all, but I value that I was able to meet another Rito just the same. It's not always easy to run into another of my kinsfolk, and I feel that this evening is worth celebrating."

Indeed, he felt that meeting another who openly spoke about the possibility of one day gaining flight to be nostalgic and worth treasuring. Even with the Fokka, those who dreamed of becoming Rito would often be nervous or reticent to discuss it around others, knowing that for many in the commune such a dream was impossible. It was nice to sit with another and not have to worry about the ifs and buts of the topic.
  15. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Don't worry about it, then! It'll be fine, fine," Ruairi laughed. Perhaps he trusted the company they were in just a tad too much – or perhaps he just wasn't one to consider that someone might miss an item that didn't have much monetary value. The mug quickly found its way to his hand now that the drinks had finally arrived, and the Rito couldn't help but grin.

"Ain't that the best part! You can literally toast anything," the master of many, many toasts boasted, ready to open a whole world up to Ulivali. The cider inside his mug sloshed dangerously as he brought it up with just a tad too much speed.
    "To new friends! To warm food! To good drinks – hopefully!" Ruairi's words were peppered with a jovial tone and laughter – and the last part was said just about loud enough that the barkeep might have heard it.
  16. Electronic Ink

Ulivali didn't entirely manage to turn his laugh into a cough, hoping the bartender had not turned his head towards them. "That, I can agree with," he grinned, raising his mug and drinking nearly a quarter of the mug at once. He was both thirsty and very fond of the flavour - realistically a dangerous combination around alcohol, but in practice only likely to harm his wallet and perhaps his head the following morning.

"I think I neglected to ask earlier," he said thoughtfully. "What brings you to Lon Lon Ranch in the first place? I've been lingering here for a while now, and haven't run into you before that. It's a small place!"
    The air was cooling as the sun set, the smell of oil lamps beginning to diffuse through the room. He could hear some patrons making for the door, perhaps ending their post-workday relaxation to return to house or family. The changed atmosphere was oddly peaceful despite the continuing loud noise of the remaining patrons and new arrivals quickly replacing those who left and then some. They had been fortunate to find this table!
  17. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Cheers!" Ruairi cheered, as happy as he could be. The mug was raised towards Ulivali, before it was greedily brought to his own mouth to match the other Rito's motions. He gulped down the cider – a new taste experience for sure! So this was what the juniper cider was like. It didn't taste very strong, and went down easily. Sweet and refreshing. The mug had already had lost half of it with that big gulp.

"Haa. Not bad at all, not bad at all," Ruairi grinned after an exhale as he lowered the mug down. He wiped his mouth slightly, and the bottom of the mug hit the table with a soft thud. Ulivali, meanwhile, had gotten curious about him and his reason for coming to Lon Lon Ranch. Ruairi couldn't help but raise his brow and let out a cheery laugh. They had never talked about it until now – not that he found it terrible important, anyway!
    "I just arrived, after all," he laughed, with a wave of his hand,
    "I'm just traveling. No current destination, just seeing where the road takes me. Lucky I made it here before dark, though, so I didn't have to settle on the side of a road there and risk less friendly guests. Towns tend to be better for sleeping. It's always just nice to rest my haunches, grab some food cooked by someone else, have a drink or two… Meet new faces, the usual," he continued with a grin.
  18. Electronic Ink

"That's as good a reason as any," Ulivali acknowledged. "Wanderlust is something that seems to be in the air in Hyrule. Something about the land invites adventure and travel."
    He lifted his mug again, pausing to drink deeply and enjoy the flavour. He put it down harder than he had intended to, but as far as he could tell hadn't spilt any.
    "There's a lot of adventure to be had, as well. I swear, the mainland is so big that you could spend years walking back and forth and still continue to find something new each time!"

He paused for a moment, considering his drinking mate.
    "You mentioned earlier that you were an acrobat, yes? What a way for a Rito to live - flight without wings, almost! Do you perform often?"
    Ulivali did not typically frequent performance arts that did not centre on sound, but while the sight of an acrobat's performance might escape him, the talent and dedication involved in the art did not require sight to appreciate.
  19. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Right?" Ruairi laughed as the other Rito accepted wanderlust as a good reason. Not everyone saw it that way – and with that, he of course disagreed. The mug had found its way back to his lips for another sip or two, giving Ulivali a moment to speak in peace.
    "Not that I have ever really… Not traveled, you know? Born into a caravan life. Don't think I could have it any other way," he eventually continued with a grin after swallowing a mouthful of cider. Staying put for a longer amount of time definitely wasn't for him.

The Rito swirled the liquid in his cup like it was second nature to him, as he was focusing more on the conversation than the drink.
    "Well, I wouldn't say I'm an acrobat, per se. Definitely something I've done – something I could do, still. But I am building a… You could say, a solo career. Focus a bit more on things that aren't circus tricks, you know? Something more sophisticated. I'll be performing opera on a big stage one of these days. But now, I put on shows when I feel like. …Sometimes join a production for a play or performance when I run out of money."

Ruairi did not sound much like the kind of a person who thought very far ahead…
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  20. Electronic Ink

The talk of having lived on the road since hatching fascinated Ulivali. "I can understand that, to some extent. I've spent most of my own life living nomadically. I lived with a reasonably large group of other flightless Rito and we were always on the move. It's been strange, actually, spending so long in this town. But that was always to be part of striking out on my own path for a time, there's simply less reason for me to move about as much."

Ulivali tilted his head as he listened to Ruairi discuss his talents, draining the last of his cider.
    "It makes sense, to want to hone your craft further. And the independence to be in control of your performance from top to bottom must be excellent. It can be hard work coordinating with a large group on any sort of activity, I'd imagine it's much more taxing in any kind of arts,"

Pushing his mug aside, the Rito continued. "You've got it right on the up-and-down of money, though. I was quite paranoid about running out of rupees when I was preparing to leave the commune, I spent almost a year selling my clothing and armours and amulets and squirreling everything I could away. It was definitely necessary, given how dangerous it would be for me to try and spend my nights somewhere other than an inn or the house of a friendly stranger."