Free as a Bird [Ulivali]

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Nameless, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

The sun had started to set, but it was still far from getting dark. The sky was still spotless like it had been the whole day, and there barely was a breeze in the air. It had been warmer lately, and this day very much followed the same suit. It was pleasant, the sun's rays warm. A perfect day to get a lot work done in Lon Lon Ranch, the streets and walkways busy and filled with the sound of people and animals coming and going. The fields all around were still far from being able to be harvested, though it seemed like there were many people working on them still. With so much sunlight left, it almost seemed like the farmers didn't want to stop their work until they had to, taking advantage of the situation. Still, the preparations for the evening had also started, fires having been set up in various points. Surely, food preparations were on the way as well.

Ruairi had traveled the whole day, too. He was quite glad he could see a place to settle in for the night in the distance with so much time left still, happy that he had made good time. The dirt and stones underneath the wagon's wheels crackled as the strong ox kept pulling, slowly but surely, towards their destination.

Lon Lon Ranch. It had been a while since the Rito had been here. It never seemed to change. He gave his limbs a good stretch, feeling a bit sore after such a long time of being seated – and it definitely wasn't as easy as someone might have thought, the driver's seat not as comfortable as it should have been, and the constant vibrations and bumps hard on his behind. Daffodil, his ox, and the wagon were found a safe place to keep them near the stables for a small fee. All he had now was time. Time to look around and just… Relax. Perhaps grab a bite to eat.

Not that there often was that much to see in this place. It was still a great excuse for Ruairi to stretch his legs and look at the wares, always curious for new knickknacks or accessories he could use. His nose was hard at work too, hoping to find something delicious wafting in the air – though often he was treated to much more… Earthly scents, thanks to the animals he often had to watch out for as he kept walking. Perhaps there would be a nice tavern somewhere. His throat was starting to get rather parched…

A thought that soon left his mind as his eyes settled on something interesting sitting beside a fire. A feathery, beaked form, but one that was far from a cucco. No, this one was… Well, like him. A Rito. A rare sight to him, someone who had grown far from any communities of his kind, enough to make Ruairi stop in his tracks and just stare for a while – before the widest grin forced its way to his face. He rushed over with quick steps, squatting much too close to the Rito and leaning even closer to look at all those curious choices the other had made with his clothing. It seemed very… Exotic!
    "You! You're a Rito too, right? Right!" Ruairi opened his mouth, his voice excited.
  2. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

Evening’s long fingers were well and truly curled around the earth, now, and the telltale cool scent of the impending night made Ulivali lean back on his stool a moment to savour it. It was a beautiful evening, the heat of the day fading and leaving his body feeling lightweight and carefree, particularly after he’d made the choice to unbind his eyes and stash the blindfold in his armour an hour prior. Once the sun had settled low on the horizon the heat no longer agitated his scars anyway, although after twelve summers he had still not become sure that the itch was not simply sweat. Regardless, he had been pleasantly surprised to find that he had underestimated the Hyruleans around him, and that they had been perfectly polite to him with and without his blindfold across his face.

He’d been fortunate enough today to stumble on a merchant who had procured an ear of corn, and Ulivali had given him six rupees and a bushel of wildflowers for it. Now its juice stained his fingers as he very carefully stripped the kernels into the communal cast-iron pot, along with the sweet potato he had clumsily peeled and left to soften and a strongly-flavoured broth. He’d had trouble with one ingredient of his daily meal; he’d bought what the seller had called amaranth, but perhaps he’d misheard Ulivali when the Rito had asked, because the very hard, bulbous plant laying beside him certainly wasn’t the grains he’d sought for. The feathered man wasn’t too disheartened, though; his meal still promised to be hearty and filling, particularly if the whim struck him to add a little of the salted carp he had been carrying for the last few days. He decided he would, and paused his corn-slicing to retrieve it. It sank merrily into the stew, and the resulting scent was delectable.

Perhaps if he had not been so busy focusing on his food, Ulivali may have had a chance to notice the rather unsubtle sound of someone rushing at him; as it was, however, the poor bird nearly shot out of his seat and into the fire when he heard the enthusiastic voice and registered the person right beside him. The cob of corn clattered into the pot, and Ulivali, eyes wide, whirled around. In his harried state it took a second or two for the newcomer’s words to get through to him, and he paused, unable to quite believe what he had just heard. ‘Too’?

“I am!” Ulivali replied, a gentle smile beginning to lift the corners of his mouth. “My name is Ulivali, of Clan Pukamamani. And you, as well?” He’d yet to meet another Rito on the surface of Hyrule, and there was a sharp ache in his heart at the idea that he stood feet from another of his kind after so long. He’d had the Fokka, of course, but only he had said the word ‘Rito’ aloud with pride in over six years now. He had to restrain himself from rudeness, from reaching out to feel healthy feathers after so long. It was only the faint sizzle of the cookpot that made him yelp and turn back to it, stirring his stew with a spoon and gingerly lifting the cob out of the liquid.

“You are welcome to share this meal with me, friend,”
  3. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

With the way Ruairi's eyes were sparkling as he stared at this new Rito, it must have been difficult to say if the beams hitting his face were caused by that or the sun's rays. He didn't even need to hear the confirmation, but his smile just grew wider when he heard it. Of course they were both Rito! The stranger introduced himself as Ulivali, and Ruairi didn't miss a beat.
    "Yes!" He was eager to agree – though it wasn't like anyone needed confirmation for that, either! It was obvious, too. They both were obviously Rito in this land where non-Rito were the majority, always sticking out with their strange appearance. But he supposed he had asked Ulivali a similarly obvious question in the first place…

"Well, I mean, I'm not from this clan… Pukimi… Pukam… Manimi," Ruairi had to add, though he was stumbling over his words a bit now. It almost seemed like he had agreed to that part, too, but it just wasn't that way.
    "Perhaps you could say that I am of Troupe Girasole? Wouldn't that sound impressive?" He tried how the words sounded on his tongue as they came out, stroking his chin with a confident smile. It certainly was a bit impressive to be able to introduce oneself with a longer title like that! Made him sound all important!
    "My name's Ruairi!" The Rito finally added the most important part however, plopping down on the ground even without an invitation.

He watched as the corn was fished out of the soup, with barely any corn clinging to it anymore. He glanced at Ulivali, and then back to the soup. He could smell fish in the broth, but he wasn't entirely sure about the whole corn situation. Corn was delicious, but the cob part was… Less so.
    "…What is it, though? Corn cob soup…? Does… That become edible if you boil it long enough? Is this a Rito recipe?"
  4. Electronic Ink

“It certainly is impressive,” Ulivali found himself smiling, not minding the mispronunciation of his clan name. The enthusiastic Ruairi gave off a jubilant, youthful air, and Ulivali had no way of knowing that the other Rito was actually older than he was! “I am glad to have met you,” He flushed as he realised Ruairi had not seen him drop the corn cob into the dish by accident. “Ah, the cob is not a part of the dish,” he gave a slight laugh. “I am mildly uncoordinated on occasion, and dropped it. The stew is almost ready, in fact,”

He stirred it once more. “I am glad I washed my second bowl,” he mused as he served out the stew into each bowl. “I do hope that you are partial to fish; I’ve yet to meet a Rito who isn’t, but things tend to be different here on the mainland.” As he seated himself (slightly too far from Ruairi, but he wasn’t exactly spatially aware!), he tucked his talons under him and lifted his spoon in slim fingers. “To fortunate meetings,” he smiled, lifting his spoon as if it were a glass.

It had been many moons since he had shared a meal in companionship, and despite his lack of familiarity with his newfound fellow it was a deeply comforting feeling to be able to simply sit nearby another of his kind. He idly wondered how Ruairi had found his way to the mainland, but thought it may have been rather rude to ask outright, and so he cautiously tasted his stew. It was quite hot, but rather delicious. Certainly it would have benefited from the addition of amoranth - he had even encountered a variety of rice that seemed far more common in Hyrule than on Dragon Roost that would have complimented the dish. It was still quite hearty by itself, though.
  5. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi was just beaming with pride and joy as the other Rito humored him enough to find his troupe roots impressive. Luckily he was easy to entertain, indeed like a much younger child. He was quite curious about the soup and the mysterious corn cob, though Ulivali admitted that it did not belong in the soup at all, having just fallen in by accident. He too gave a rather good-natured laugh at that and his own original thought – who even would think about eating the cob, honestly!

Whatever was in the pot did smell good, though. There wasn't much, but he was glad that his newest friend was willing to share – he was starving by now, after all! Ruairi watched intently and as patiently as he could as he waited for the stew be ladled into two bowls, reaching in to grab the one that was offered to him. Immediately he could feel the heat radiating from the bowl, warming up his fingers.
    "Oh! You don't have to worry about that. I'm not picky and eat everything," the Rito almost sounded proud of the fact – it was a good quality to have for someone like him, who traveled. And was not a good cook. He brought the bowl closer to his face, blowing on the surface to try to cool it down. It would take a while before he should eat, lest he burned his tongue.

If Ulivali had tried to distance himself discreetly, his attempts had not worked as Ruairi plopped down much closer to him, closing the distance himself. He raised the bowl in just as jovial glass-raising ceremony – and thought about how they really should go grab a drink later to be able to do it later for real.
    "You must be from the island? The one where the Rito are from?" He asked, not wasting any time, his eyes sparkling with curiosity and questions. The way Ulivali referred to the mainland, the way he looked… It all seemed so foreign and exotic, like he did not quite fit the land the same way Ruairi did.
    "I mean, I have traveled a lot. The land, that is. I have never seen… Well, like, your clothes, your looks! They're different. You're not from here, right?"
  6. Electronic Ink

Ulivali smiled at the sound of Ruairi blowing on his meal. The other Rito had the better idea, he decided, taking a moment to leave his bowl to warm his palms rather than quickly swallow it. Ruairi's comment had riffled his feathers the right way - a bird who ate without fuss was a bird who could find a meal anywhere. Being a Rito, he did not have the strongest sense of smell, but he could enjoy the aroma of his meal as he waited nonetheless.

You must be from the island? The one where the Rito are from? Ulivali's thoughts stuttered and slowed, suddenly moving as though wading through molasses. It took him a moment to comprehend it, for the Fokka he had known had always had the same air about them, of being not ignorant of but separate from Rito culture. But from Ruairi's words, he was not even one who had left the island soon after hatching, not even one who had known stories of Dragon Roost. Not even one who knew the island's name. Ulivali had never met someone who had reached adulthood and never known of Dragon Roost Island, even among the Fokka hatched in Hyrule's inland. The Fokka he had known who had hatched on the mainland had in time found the Pachatuku commune and witnessed the shared stories from those whose connection to their ancestors lived on despite their lack of flight.

He found his voice again after a long moment of silence. "You... do not know Dragon Roost Island?" he said dumbly, quite unable to process the concept. What circumstances must lead a person to be so thoroughly divorced from their people, from their culture, from their own identity? Ulivali simply couldn't comprehend the idea. He himself prized his cultural identity so strongly that the stark realisation that the young man in front of him could proclaim to be widely travelled and yet have never touched a talon to the ancestral soil.
  7. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

There was a silence. A noticeable one. Ruairi tilted his head, a small frown appearing on his face. Was it something he had said? Was it… Not good to ask other Rito about where they were from? He didn't really get it. Ulivali seemed so… Shocked, maybe? Ruairi didn't quite know if there was something he was supposed to say first, but luckily he didn't have to. Ulivali did break the silence eventually, sounding so surprised by the fact that this Rito he was sitting with didn't know the island. He didn't really get it. Why was that so strange? It wasn't like he had talked to that many of his kind before – and the ones he had never seemed to be quite this weird about it. Then again, none of them dressed like Ulivali. Maybe this was some weird island Rito thing where they wanted everyone to know about their home, or something?

"Well, I clearly do know about it. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't!" Ruairi replied, with some pride in his voice. He wasn't that dumb.
    "…Haven't been there, though, Obviously. I am going to, though! One day, I'll go and visit, when I've gotten enough money together for the trip. You wouldn't believe the prices the ships ask these days, completely ridiculous! I can travel the land without paying for anything other than food, and sea travel costs me an arm and a leg? Makes me angry just thinking about it! Ohh, I should definitely fly back! It wouldn't be too long for a first flight to try to cross the sea, right?"
  8. Electronic Ink

Ulivali realised as the other man spoke that Ruairi must be like he was; a flightless Rito. A Fokka. He tilted his head at Ruairi's small monologue, about the man's plans to travel to the island as if it were but a place to visit, and not the ancestral homeland of their people, birthplace of their species, and spiritual heart of their culture. As Ruairi waxed agitation about the cost of transit and the freedom of travel (which Ulivali privately agreed with; he had once tried to purchase passage on a boat near the coast and was scandalised at the going price), Ulivali made his quiet peace with for once in his life being the one more experienced and knowledgeable about Rito matters.

"Well," he said in response. "To my knowledge it would be too far a flight for a newly fledged Rito to cross the sea to Dragon Roost Island, but even if it were not too far it wold simply not be possible. You would have to first reach the island anyway to gain the wings you need to make that flight."

Ulivali finished his stew and set the bowl aside, letting his spoon slide around with the motion. "Ruairi, you have surely noticed that I do not have wings, and from what you were saying, you must not have them either. Do you know how our people gain their wings?"
  9. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"Oh," Ruairi seemed to accept that perhaps flying over the ocean would be too far for someone inexperienced quite easily, now that someone else was there to tell him that. He wasn't happy about it, of course, but he was just going to have to deal with it – and save up even more money for a return trip. He frowned slightly, but the warm stew he spooned into his mouth made everything a little bit sweeter.

With a spoon in his mouth, Ruairi stopped in his tracks as Ulivali started on the topic of wings – mainly, that neither of the two Rito had them. There was a moment of pause as Ruairi just… Looked at the other Rito's clearly examining him much better than he had this far.
    "I suppose so!" He ended up chuckling. And here he thought that all of the Rito from the island had wings – but to him, that didn't really sound like it was such a big deal. It wasn't like he had wings, either.
    "I hear there's some stories about a dragon… A bit strange, that. Getting wings from a dragon? Not my first choice, honestly, but it sure seems like it works. Why so? Is there something bad about it?"
  10. Electronic Ink

Shifting in his place, Ulivali's crest flattened somewhat as he pondered his answer. He didn't mean to demoralise the young man in front of him, but... surely Ruairi deserved to know? Or was it too early on yet for them to have such a heavy conversation? Ulivali felt a strong urge to try and back out of the discussion he had started, as the worry that he might crush a dream held by the other Rito with his own negative life experience.

He cleared his throat uncomfortably. "There is nothing bad about it, but there are... a set of ritual beliefs and practices, that our people follow," Our people? My people? Could one belong to a culture if they had clearly not had very many experiences with it, if at all? "It can be hard to summarise, but... Dragon Roost Island is named so because our patron nests at the top of the mountain; the feathered dragon, Valoo. It is through the blessing of Valoo that our flight feathers sprout, and we gain our wings." Ulivali lifted his arm, the soft feathers along it devoid of said flight feathers. "For one such as yourself, should you be able to travel to Dragon Roost Island, you will likely be accepted. I have heard that some foreign Rito choose to undergo rituals prior to gaining their wings, although not all do. Gaining wings should not be so difficult, so long as you are of age and show reasonable respect and dedication to Rito culture. It is, however, the only way Rito may gain wings."
  11. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi tilted his head to the side, still smiling, as Ulivali mentioned something about beliefs and such that the Rito on the island followed. Obviously different cultures had different methods of just about everything, but not even once had he considered that it might be something that would stop him from getting his wings. That kind of a thought didn't even register in his mind even though Ulivali started his story so… Carefully, like he was trying to bring something like that up as gently as he could.

Ruairi just continued eating, scraping the rest of what was left of his stew onto his spoon, listening. It didn't sound too bad, when Ulivali described things. Even the other Rito seemed to think Ruairi could get his wings just fine! But still, Ulivali himself didn't have them, despite being from the one place where their kind could become winged.
    "So… It's not complicated, you think? I never thought it might be, in the first place – other than getting to the island in the first place! Those greedy sailors," Ruairi huffed with indignation, though his voice was back to its cheerful tone in an instant,
    "But I mean, it's not like everyone has wings. Not even those who lived on the island! You don't, for example."
  12. Electronic Ink

Ulivali was somewhat chagrined by the realisation that... it really wasn't complicated. Not for someone like Ruairi - charming, enthusiastic, and as far as Ulivali was aware completely free of any disability or deformity that might prevent him from clear and unaided flight.
    He sucked in a breath at the unintended jab into a very sensitive topic. "You're right," he said evenly, keeping his words measured. "Most do, however; flight is generally considered innate to our people. It's also the main ability we have over Hylians - they tend to have the edge over most races, given how widespread and prosperous they are,"

Come to think of it, Ulivali wasn't exactly sure where he'd expected this conversation to go. He felt like he should perhaps have known to drop the issue the moment he found out that Ruairi had never been to Dragon Roost, but in his shock at the revelation the idea of halting the conversation hadn't even occurred to him.
  13. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi let out a quiet hum as he pondered on the other Rito's words. He still didn't quite know why Ulivali had chosen to be wingless, if there wasn't some sort of a catch behind it all. Maybe he didn't like the idea? Maybe it clashed with his style? Ruairi ran his hand over his forearms, his fingers brushing through his short feathers. His arms never would quite be the same when he had wings, huh? He might need to rethink his whole wardrobe – a daunting task, certainly. But he couldn't say he was completely opposed to the idea. Flight would be worth it.

"Strange that something that isn't actually innate to us is what others think of as out thing, isn't it?" Ruairi laughed, sounding like he was in a good mood. It was funny to think that any Hylian stumbling upon them would find two wingless Rito, when they might have expected them all to have wings!
    "Instead, it's something we're supposed to get by having a dragon gift it to us. I wonder if anyone would believe such a tale if it was harder to prove true!"
  14. Electronic Ink

"It's not quite so simple as a gift," Ulivali explained. "More so a coming of age ritual, and the proof that one is now an adult and ready to take their place amongst our people's affairs. Valoo is more so the conduit, if that makes sense. So while we are indeed indebted to the Feathered Dragon's kindness and powerful magic, it is still thought of as a part of our bodies. Some Rito even grow fledging feathers before their visit to Valoo, although none have achieved flight without his scale," Ulivali stood, tentatively checking the pot with his spoon. There was still more left, so he hoped that it would keep some time longer. Perhaps he'd offer some to those along his path to the inn, if he and Ruairi could not finish it.

"It certainly is odd to hear, by mainland standards. But it has been a part of our history and culture since before our people developed a written history, and none of our legends date back far enough to explain our uniqueness amongst all the Goddesses' creations. That being said, I've found that knowing that our true potential is inside us and can be released by Valoo's power to be a rather fortifying thought,"
  15. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi placed his now empty bowl on the ground next to him, his eyes still focused on Ulivali. He listened to the way this island Rito saw everything – a very different outlook compared to someone like him, who had not only grown up away from Dragon Roost Island, but without anyone of his own kind to tell him their stories, as well. Then again, many of the Rito that had been raised on mainland were just as ignorant as he was of the ways of the islander Rito. This was a rare occasion, talking to someone who actually came from there!

"Certainly hasn't stopped us from growing into adults," he hummed, sounding rather pleased of that fact. Dragon or not, wings or not, they hadn't required any coming of age ceremony like that to get to where they were now. Ruairi leaned back, his gaze turning upwards.
    "Sounds like there's a lot going on the island. I guess that is to be expected when there's is such a symbiotic relationship going on with a dragon of all things," the Rito pondered very deep thoughts, his gaze snapping back towards Ulivali,
    "That's the right word, right? Symbiosis? Sounds about right. Are you ever going to go get your wings?"
  16. Electronic Ink

He may have been unaware of his companion's stare, but the feathers on the back of Ulivali's neck rose regardless. This was not the level of scrutiny he'd expected to subject himself to when he had invited the other bird to share his meal with him. It made him miss the more bombastic conversations around the campfire back in the commune.

"It hasn't," he agreed, stretching his legs before seating himself again. "Adulthood is not quite the same as the ritual idea of assuming one's place in society, though." The idea of the relationship being called symbiosis alarmed him for a moment, and for a second he thought he might retort in irritation, but a moment's thought had him realise that as uncomfortable as the phrasing was it really wasn't so inaccurate. The Rito helped and served Valoo and his needs, and in return they were provided with the flight that was so sacred to their people.

Ruairi's question, though, had Ulivali forcing a smile. "Ah, one day, I hope. I'd very much like to be able to fly. I assume that's a goal you share, as well?"
  17. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

"I sure would pitch a fit if they stopped me from grabbing a drink after a long boat trip to the island," Ruairi laughed, far from willing to give up his adulthood privileges just because some distant Rito culture might not have seen him as one due to his lack of wings. He seemed to be in very good mood, completely oblivious to the other bird's discomfort – his eyes were basically sparkling from excitement as he could finally talk to a Rito who knew something about Dragon Roost Island!

"You bet!" He grinned to Ulivali's question about his goal to learn to fly one day as well – which Rito wouldn't want to do so, if they had the chance, honestly! It was just too good to pass up!
    "That would make my shows go from average choreography to something wild! Advanced aerial acrobatics! I mean, I have done my fair share of those back in the day, but it is quite difficult to mix those up with much else. And there's so much set-up and training you need to do. But with wings, you're ready whenever you want and don't have to worry as much about falling!" Ruairi explained in excitement, having even grabbed the spoon from his bowl, as if every pointing did something to help his points come through while he was talking to a blind bird.

"We should fly together, then! When we can!"
  18. Electronic Ink

Ulivali snorted at the quip. "Definitely not quite that definition of adulthood, that's for sure. Chicha is too popular to be gate-keeping it from outsiders. Many a wild night begins with someone imbibing a little too much, to be honest. But from what I've understood during my time here on the mainland, overindulgence is a universal vice."
    Ulivali wasn't overly fond of drinking, himself, if only because it was far too easy for him to begin to lose his way once the intoxication began to addle his memory and maps of his surroundings.

"I can certainly imagine that performance art would be enhanced with aerial skills," he nodded. "Flight is never a substitute for good training, discipline and preparation, though. It's still remarkably easy to slip up and injure yourself even when flighted. It might be somewhat unrealistic to expect to be free of the set-up and training once you have wings; besides, wouldn't your flight enhance the existing discipline? It would be fascinating to achieve more when your already trained routine can now go even further with flight,"

Ulivali was completely unaware of the other bird's gesturing, but Ruairi's excited tone of voice did not escape him. The cool soil beneath him as he relaxed. "Perhaps," he agreed calmly, even though there was a world of difference between he and the other. They lived in a world that would hand Ruairi his wings with at most some culturally-driven snide remarks; Ulivali was divided from his people's birthright by a gulf of prejudice and Rito set in their ways, refusing to understand that even if Ulivali couldn't make the same use of flight that they could, it was still something that he deserved to find out himself. To find what he could do, understand what he couldn't, and not let others try and predict for him what they thought best. Ruairi's optimism was admirable, though, and Ulivali allowed himself to think on the idea of soaring alongside his newfound excitable friend someday.
  19. Nameless

Nameless Member vet

Ruairi nodded in agreement – he had never heard much less tasted this alcoholic beverage the other Rito named, but he was going to be drinking it when he finally made the trip and no one could stop him! He very much the kind of a person who enjoyed indulging. And that was something that started to get the gears in his brain running, slowly but surely working towards the only sensible conclusion to him…

"I suppose," he hummed while that was going on around in the background, forced to agree with Ulivali that training was always important, wings or not. He'd been around in the business long enough to know that.
    "It's not like I really do all that much in that department these days – you just need so much equipment, you know? So much set-up. No way I could ever get anything done when I'm traveling solo, I don't even have the needed space to carry everything with me! Wings, those would be much more portable," Ruairi nodded to himself a few times, seeming to come to a satisfying conclusion. Wings indeed would be the way to go, if he wanted to shake up his performances with something breathtaking.

"Oh, I know!" It seemed like the idea that had been brewing in his mind had finally finished, hitting the Rito with what he felt was the best idea ever,
    "We should go get some drinks! This place doesn't seem like it has the most exciting nightlife, but I'm sure there's bound to be something good around."
  20. Electronic Ink

"Carrying equipment is certainly a drag," agreed Ulivali, scowling as he considered the frustration of leaving much of his textiles behind when he had begun travelling. It was difficult to buy small bolts of fabric to repair his clothes all the time, but he simply couldn't carry a larger kit.

"You'd have to travel with your own little caravan," Ulivali decided, nodding like he was proud of the thought. "It would certainly enhance performance if you were able to carry any kind of props, even if you no longer carried your aerial equipment with you."

He picked at the feathers on his arm, flicking a speck of dust away. "That being said, even a small caravan is an investment. I've no clue how much a wainwright would ask for even a small cart."

The Rito's crest lifted at the concept. While drinking in a strange new place was a bit iffy for him, it had been a long time since he'd been able to drink in the company of another bird. "Actually, I think I would like that. It's no party, but there's a popular bar two streets over. I'd be happy to go,"

He picked up both bowls and climbed to his feet, tipping awkwardly to one side before righting himself. The bowls were quickly rinsed in the nearby artificial channel of water and packed away.