Companions, Earning Treasures, Etc.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Jan 19, 2014.

?

Implement these changes?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes, but only if this one thing changes...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

In attempting to create a singular, overall "Guide to Hyrule Castle" thread, there's mainly a few things I feel should be changed or clarified about the current system. I'm posting this in suggestions mainly because if these changes are idiotic, I should probably have someone tell me that before I make them permanent.

Earning Treasures
    Currently, the concept of earning-treasures is kind of a clusterfuck. You gain rupees to gain treasures, but you can't gain multiple treasures if their sum is worth more than the rupees you earned in a quest/dungeon. You must always quest to earn a treasure, and cannot simply "buy" it (unless it's a Marketplace item). Originally, there was probably a reason for this. For better or worse, I can't remember what that was.

What I'm now proposing is, in brief:
    1. A character will earn rupees mainly through quests and dungeons (just like it works now).
    2. Through role-playing, a character earns a treasure, and the character loses rupees. However, the character need not necessarily do this in a quest or dungeon. As long as he has sufficient rupees, he can gain his treasures wherever and however he wants, and must accommodate any rupee/treasure changes on his character sheet.

In effect, this subtle change would:
    - Streamline treasure-earning to make it easier to understand.
    - Enable a character to more easily spend rupees.
    - Free a character to earn a treasure as soon as he has enough rupees for it, rather than needing to quest for it (and possibly get rupees he doesn't need/want in the process).

I'd also clarify that characters belonging to different players are allowed to exchange rupees and treasures. I pointed this out back in the day, but, it seems that was removed at some point...

Quest Bureau
    At this point, it feels like as soon as a staffer approves a quest, someone changes it. It might just be better to wait until the quest is actually done before a post is necessary.

Also... I'm going to point out that it's possible to role-play through a scenario, finish it, and then post a quest bureau thread afterwards. You don't need to make a quest bureau thread beforehand.

Also... I'd like to make it definitively clear that one character can be in multiple quests, and your quests don't always need to be linear in nature. If your character could arguably be in Southern Hyrule fighting Moblins, he doesn't need to make a post describing how he's rushing down from Castle-Town to meet someone he's never met for no real reason. You can, of course, but it's not required.

Pets, Mounts, & Unique Companions
    So. Currently, pets are free, mounts all fall into one system, and Unique Companions are a clusterfuck using a pricing system which someone buried in the now-defunct staff forum.

It seems fine if pets stay free. Considering how common horses should be in Hyrule (especially compared to thinks like crossbows or glaives), it seems like horses should be "common-tier" and free as well. Mounts of more exotic races who are more powerful or are more difficult to train--like a Keese, Loftwings, Dodongos, Wolfos, or bears, among many other possibilities--would be individual treasures with a set cost. Generally, a player wouldn't be able to make an "original creature" unless they passed it as a treasure suggestion.

Any species could also be made into its own character. Presumably, most of these characters would function as "Unique Companions" for a more traditional character, but could also in theory be independent. Alternatively, any pet or mount who was a treasure before could be made into its own character in this way. In either case, this animal/monster character would have its own PWC (in part defined by its race) and be able to earn its own treasures. These characters would start less than usual amount of rupees--specifically, they'd have to afford their own cost. (For instance, if a Keese as a pet treasure cost 20 rupees, a Keese character would only start with 80 rupees.)

Of course, a Keese couldn't gain a treasure like Helm Splitter. As a general rule of thumb, it would be best to ask a staffer before getting a treasure for one of these unusual characters...

Classic Dungeons
    This is a pretty minor change, but I wanted to adjust Super Dungeon rewards so that...
    (a) Their rupee rewards are proportional to the number of normal dungeons which serve as prerequisites.
    (b) Every super dungeon comes with a(n optional) magical trinket which has a minor "mostly-for-fun" special effect/use, ideally based on the canonical dungeon.

Also, I should probably add Lavaclaw and Skyreach in there sooner or later.

So... :tpr: Thoughts?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

"Every super dungeon comes rewards"

comes rewards? :u

Anyway, I'm fine with them all. With the exception of pets, they're all pretty QoL changes anyway.

One question though, if a pet became a character, would they increase the rupee gain from quests/dungeons? I would assume so since they are, by classification, a character, but they're a bit different so I felt it's worth clarifying.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

...Fixed the typo.

I was pondering about that myself. I would think a pet-character increase rupee rewards, so long as that isn't meant with controversy, and no one makes a bunch of pets to farm rupees. (Considering how cheap professions have become, that seems like it would be easier and faster anyway. :tpr:)
  4. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I don't think it'll be a problem. I mean, it's theoretically possible for someone to already do that with characters as is. Plus, the characters still have to be used meaningfully to count.
  5. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    Earning Treasures:
    I'm all for it, as it allows a more streamlined way to spend rupees that you get and allows you to more easily incorporate your Treasure gathering.

Though I do ask, I'm assuming the ability to share Treasures is restricted to those logical shared? I mean, like the common sense-making of Hookshots and Deku Leafs yes, Heal and Fire no?

Quest Bureau:
    I don't see the harm, though I would think if someone wants to get it approved earlier because they think it might cause issue with the staff for whatever reason might be nice. No one wants to make 40-somewhat posts only to be told they can't beat Ganon in a round of golf.

Pets, Mounts, & Unique Companions:
    Should be fun, I mean, it'll be nice for the most part, though I suspect the amount of adventuring Bears will increase quite a bit in Hyrule.

While Horses are free, would Battle-trained Horses also be free? I mean, they are pretty hard to train properly, but I guess at that point you just make a Unique Companion Horse with Spin Attack.... OR A BUNNY HOOD!

Classic Dungeons:
    Cool, cool. No problem with Super Dungeon tweaks. I wanna know what the knick-nacks are though, XD.
  6. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    I'm all for making full sheets for unique companions as they seem to be the sole exception to "we don't want lots of unique treasure submissions" though this just means a bit more work for sorting out who gets what treasure, since they'd be paid for separately. I would actually like it if said companions had a character they were associated with, and took from one rupee pool. But if the idea behind this is that they make their own rupees, I don't have a problem with it really. This just means it's a little cheaper to have something like Clooby's stormbird be feasible to earn abilities for, and his Julius won't need to take a day off to make it happen. All of this is good. Yes, yes, yes.
  7. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I'm pretty much down with all of these. I especially like the new Treasure-earning. Would we need to notify staffers of these changes to our character's arsenal, or just make a note in the profile?

EDIT: This should probably not be here, but when you make changes to the Classic Dungeons thread, you may want to edit an error in the information for Dark Hyrule Castle:

Minish Cap has five dungeons, not four. After the Temple of Droplets, there's still the Palace of Winds to do.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    No arguments here. Seems like the changes would really make things easier on everyone.

Of course I have nothing really relevant to add on the matter, so :tpr:
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

It should be fine if you make a post/edit in your character's thread, which ideally links to wherever the transaction took place.

Oh. :tpr: Thanks for catching that.

Correct. Specifically, treasures which can be traded are Magical Items, Organic Items, and Mechanical Items. Treasures which cannot be traded are Techniques, Spells, and Traits. Thankfully every treasure's page already denotes which form the treasure takes.

Of course. Someone could always ask staff beforehand if they're unsure about something.

XD
    I guess it depends on how battle-trained it is. If you can just sit there while it goes in and kicks down a Moblin, then no. If it only accentuates your own battle prowess or follows what you tell it to do, then yes. I'll make a library page for horses just in case.

On that note, it should go without saying, really, that one character only gets one free or perhaps two free horses. I can only imagine what the stampede of 1000 horses on a Moblin camp would be like.

There's only seven votes, but so far they're literally all in favor, so I'll work on making these changes happen. :yomp:
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014