A Shin Megami Tensei RP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chi, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Chi

Chi Pre-everything insanity girl reg

I've tossed around an idea of a Shin Megami Tensei RP before, but I wasn't very well put together at the time, but I do have a better grasp on the situation now. I would like people who'd be interested in this to leave a comment, and I'll hopefully have some background rules you need to know and a character sheet up by Sunday. Any suggestions or someone willing to explain the background/style of Shin Megami Tensei will be appreciated.

Setting:
    In the Year 20XX, the discoveries of Shadows and and their refined form as what we know as demons were made. People began to study and attempt to control these Shadows and refine them. Within a year, the world was on the brink of Destruction. Time waits for no man, nor demon, and the population of humanity was decimated, but slowly grew into a state of stability. They created Homes, mostly stable pockets of people where they could live with relative safety from a demon attack. (Homes are all allike, in underground bunkers like third home in SMT Imagine http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Third_Home)

It was never completely safe.

People were hired to be Demon Busters, people who'd either guard a Home or significant gathering of people in a significant place. Demon Busters had the uncommon ability to tame and control demons and shadows, making these sorts of people with these talents a precious commodity, to fight back more aggressive demons that felt like they wanted to peek inside and grab a bite. Even demon Busters weren't always enough to hold back an aggressive Assault from demons.

It's now the year DE 33, and the effects of mass congregations of shadows have become much more apparent in the years leading up to this date, creating roaming warps that mess with order of the world and altered the very flow of time itself. They were given the name of Dark Worlds, and the time within was referred to as the Dark Hour, despite the fact that the time dilation inside a Dark World could range from a few minutes to a fortnight before dissipating for a length of time. Dark Worlds create places that never existed before, and it is never possible to tell if these places will still exist with the removal of the warp or not. Some edifices from these warps still stand once the Dark World dissipates or is destroyed, others disappear without a trace.

Shadows and Demons
    Shadows are the manifestation of human emotion in the physical world. They come in many distinct varieties, some more unique than others. Demons are the result of shadows melding together and fundamentally changing, becoming a new kind of creature that calls it own into existence from a seemingly different realm. Once the demons began to exist, they were their own kind, separate from the shadows yet still related.

There are 4 varieties of Shadow. The most simple ones are created from lingering emotions from animals and people, whether happy or sad. These are the weakest kind of shadow, and it takes several to bring about the creation of a demon, if it were to create one. Then there are the Shadow Selves, a special kind of shadow that exist only in one's dreams and forced into existence one time in a Dark World to challenge their origin and take control.

The result of these conflicts can cause the third type of shadow, that can either be as strong as the Shadow Self, or as weak as shadow from lingering emotion. They only come into existence when a battle against one's shadow self fails, but the person in question lacked the traits of a Demon Buster. These shadows are the ones who carry the most demon potential, and can often turn into a demon alone.

The strongest shadows are the Arcana Shadow. They are the shadow manifestation of a Major or Minor Arcana. These are the strongest of shadows, but are incapable of becoming demons. There are supposedly 22 of the Shadows for each of the Major Arcana, each one with traits of the Arcana in the Reversed Position, a negative version of the arcana where the normal traits of that arcana is corrupted. The number of ones in the minor Arcana are unknown.
    Rules:
    Show Spoiler
    About COMPs:
    As a demon buster, you receive a COMP unit, an arm-mountable device that serve serve many functions to assist DB in their jobs. It functions as a news bulletin for important events that the DB need to be aware of, and even capable of warning them of nearby civilians under attack. It also functions as a messaging client for Demon busters who've traded Comp Signatures. The COMP will even report on the condition of their fellow DB with a set of rudimentary statistics that it receives through analyzing their owner. However, the most important function of the COMP is that it is capable of storing demons and allow the user to draw upon it's abilities. Once your character has one, s/he would be wary to not lose it or have it break, as demons stored inside can only be reattained through an intense amount of effort on the DB's part.

About Demons:
    Demons can be combated and tamed through a variety of ways, depending on the Demon's nature itself. More wild, beast-like Demons only respond to force and their complete submission, if they don't die first. Other more intelligent demons will respond to a inborn sense of greed, pride, or impressed by great feats of talent. However, even then, you can't always please a demon, and you'll have to kill it. Don't fret, because there's still another chance to get the demon, because as the demon falls and dissipates it could leave behind a piece of itself, letting you resurrect the demon under your control , albeit weaker than it originally was, as well as for a hefty sum of Macca. However, a DB's basic COMP is limited to only having 5 demons stored inside at a time, not including the one that the DB is currently using.

When under the control of a DB, demons no longer exist in a normal space. Instead, they exist in the form of data in a COMP or in the DB. When a demon is inside the DB, the Demon Buster experiences a boost in their power related to the strengths of the demon. At the same time, the DB can draw upon the demon's own magical abilities, letting him use magic as if he were a demon himself.

About the Cathedral:
    The Cathedral of Shadows is a place that studies Demons, and have created a great variety of techniques involving them. They have learned the art of fusing and resurrecting demons. Their skills are at all DB's disposals, if they have the macca and the demons or parts. Fusing Demons through the Cathedral will result often in a stronger demon at the cost of 2 or more demons, up to 6(though any beyond 3 require a very specific pattern of demons). However, if the Fusion requires more than 2 demons, it may rarely require that the DB be prepared to fight a demon that could go loose on a rampant attack before agreeing to empower the master of it's former selves. Even if the fusion results in a monster that will cause no harm, the members of cathedral will take Macca for you requesting them to preform a risky fusions. A fusion of 2 monsters however, is free. It is also here where you will resurrect a demon from one of their parts.

Demon busters can also appreciate a free service where they will hold onto the data of 8 additional demons.

About Skills: (Currently under debate, number of skills probably will be reduced)
    Demon Busters have access to the demonic skills of their demons, but on the retrieval of their first demon, demonic energies are permanently imparted on a DB, letting them access demonic abilities of their own, unrelated to that of their current demon's abilities. The Demon Buster can have at one time, 14 abilities, half belonging to himself, the others belonging to his inner demon's.

Both demons and the DB learn skills through experience. Truly experienced DB have a demonic aura about them, and can pass on abilities to those have unlocked their talents, though many of those who have reached such abilities and have retired to become mentors to younger DBs, and will often test them, and ask for various forms of payment for these abilities. Otherwise, the DB can learn abilities from their demons that they collect, when the demon reaches level 5 or a multiple of 10.

There are 4 types of abilities that the DB can harness from himself and his inner demon, the first of which are offensive abilities that the DB can hurl out towards enemies at the cost of his own health or draining his spirit. The second kind of abilities are more subtle in how they work, enhancing the Demon Buster or his allies with no cost on his part. The third kind of ability is an ability that the demon and his species will always have, that could be subtle like the more passive abilities, or be something that the DB can openly draw out with a toll on his spirit. The final ability is most oftenly similar to the passive abilities, but it's always a unique skills that the DB earns through his interactions with demons and his shadow.(when the situation comes up that a character will earn his unique ability, I will contact the character's player and discuss what his unique ability would be like)

(The character himself can only have up to 3 offensive skills, up to 3 passive skills, and eventually a Unique. A demon will have up to 3 offensive, up to 3 passives, and will always have the demon species ability.)

Character Sheet
    Show Spoiler
    Name:

Gender/Sex:

Appearance: ( Your character will not have any sort of armor to note, unless your character reaches an appropriate circumstance, so civilian clothes only)

Personality:

Backstory:

Weapon of Choice: (Does you character use a gun, a sword? List only a type of weapon)

Arcana: ( Characters will often fall under the influence of several of the Major Arcana in a Tarot Deck. Decide on 2 or 3 of the Major arcana, reversed or upright by looking them up online. when I have the time, I will add a list of each arcana, general influences of each on the personality or lifestyle of a person, and even then, I suggest you go look up an arcana, because a concise list of arcana and typical traits will not describe them sufficiently. If you still need help, contact me through a PM and we'll discuss probable Arcana matches.)

Strengths (stats)(A character's strengths are judged by the Minor Arcana, and range from Ace to King. A man's ability cannot surpass 10 without harsh effort and Growth.) (Characters start with a 2 in each Strength, but start with 6 points to spend across their Strengths and increase them by 1, to a maximum of 6 in a single strength. The only exception to this is luck, which cannot be increased with these points from creation.)

-Attack (Govened by the Sword, Your ability to combat foes is dictated by this Arcana)
    -Magic (Governed by the Wand, Your ability to conjure spells is dictated by this Arcana)
    -Vitality (Governed by the Cup, Your ability to endure battles is dictated by this Arcana)
    -Agility (Governed by the Pentacle, Your ability to outmaneuver disasters is dictated by this Arcana)
    -Luck (Governed by None, Your hopes to live for another day can be dictated by this Power)
    Code:
    [b][u]Name:[/u][/b]
    [b][u]Age:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Gender/Sex:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Appearance:[/u][/b] ( Your character will not have any sort of armor to note, unless your character reaches an appropriate circumstance, so civilian clothes only)

[b][u]Personality:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Backstory:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Weapon of Choice:[/u][/b] (Does you character use a gun, a sword? List only a type of weapon)

[b][u]Arcana:[/u][/b] ( Characters will often fall under the influence of several of the Major Arcana in a Tarot Deck. Decide on 2 or 3 of the Major arcana, reversed or upright by looking them up online. when I have the time, I will add a list of each arcana, general influences of each on the personality or lifestyle of a person, and even then, I suggest you go look up an arcana, because a concise list of arcana and typical traits will not describe them sufficiently. If you still need help, contact me through a PM and we'll discuss probable Arcana matches. Each Major arcana has an influence on Strengths and some other things.)

[b][u]Strengths[/u][/b](Stats) (A character's strengths are judged by the Minor Arcana, and range from Ace to King. A man's ability cannot surpass 10 without harsh effort and Growth.) (Characters start with a 2 in each Strength, but start with 6 points to spend across their Strengths and increase them by 1, to a maximum of 6 in a single strength. The only exception to this is luck, which cannot be increased with these points from creation.)

-[i]Attack[/i] **(Govened by the Sword, Your ability to combat foes is dictated by this Arcana)
    -[i]Magic [/i] **(Governed by the Wand, Your ability to conjure spells is dictated by this Arcana)
    -[i]Vitality[/i] ** (Governed by the Cup, Your ability to endure battles is dictated by this Arcana)
    -[i]Agility[/i] ** (Governed by the Pentacle, Your ability to outmaneuver disasters is dictated by this Arcana)
    -[i]Luck[/i] ** (Governed by None, Your hopes to live for another day can be dictated by this Power)

Major Arcana(for reference when deciding on a character's Arcana)
    Show Spoiler
    0 - The Fool.
    Associated with: Innocence, divine inspiration, madness, freedom, spontaneity, inexperience, chaos, creativity, free of worry or expectations, new beginnings, change and motion.

I - The Magician.
    Associated with: Action, power, initiative, self-confidence, manipulation, aggression, egoism, abuse of power, strong will, impulse, power of life and energy.

II - The Priestess.
    Associated with: Hidden knowledge, mystery, untapped power, passivity, spiritual power, dreaming, doubts, patience, dreaming, inner wisdom.

III - The Empress.
    Associated with: Maternity, trust, love, devotion, mother earth, prosperity, comfort, abundance, creativity, envy, greed, laziness, jealousy.

IV - The Emperor.
    Associated with: Law and order, desire to control one's surroundings, structure, creation, stability, realism, lack of fantasy, despotism, poorness of feelings.

V - The Hierophant.
    Associated with: Education, authority, conservatism, obedience to rules, search for knowledge, trust in inner instincts, intolerance, bigotry, blind faith in dogmas.

VI - The Lovers.
    Associated with: Love in all its forms, devotion, being one with it, optimism, trust, power of life, repression, desire, displacement, giving up one's self.

VII - The Chariot.
    Associated with: Victory, conquest, control, command, war, courage, recklessness, overconfidence, megalomania, insensitivity.

VIII - Justice.
    Associated with: Objectivity, analysis, rationalism, harmony between reality and instinct, will for knowledge, balance, fairness, self-righteousness.

IX - The Hermit.
    Associated with: Introspection, solitude, wisdom, realization, retreat from the masses, mental maturity, numbness, loneliness, bitterness, the inner light.

X - The Wheel of Fortune.
    Associated with: Fate, opportunities, varying luck, eternal motion, accepting fate, change, unexpected change, fatalism, a change for the worse.

XI - Strength.
    Associated with: Gentleness, courage, self-control, virtue over brute force, charisma, energy, passion, vitality, weakness, depression, insatisfaction.

XII - The Hanged Man.
    Associated with: Paradoxes, self-sacrifice, acceptance of fate, devotion, maturity, new perspectives, overcoming the ego, standstill, rejection, loss of perspective.

XIII - Death.
    Associated with: End and begin, cycles, deep change, regeneration, consequence, inner wisdom, fear, loss.

XIV - Temperance.
    Associated with: Synthesis, prudence, merging of opposites, harmony, peace, creation, fulfillness, getting into extremes, splitting up.

XV - The Devil.
    Associated with: Selfishness, violence, impulsive, freedom of spirit, independence, never bowing the head, loneliness, being an outcast.

XVI - The Tower.
    Associated with: Disaster, arrogance, prejudiced, destroying the old, start something new, recreate life, blind destruction.

XVII - The Star.
    Associated with: Hope, self-confidence, faith, altruism, generosity, peace, luck, guiding light, living in the moment, illusions, destructive hope.

XVIII - The Moon.
    Associated with: Inspiration, creativity, illusions, madness, fantasy, trickery, the subconscious, intuitivity, hysteria, fear, rejection of reality, exploration of the soul.

XIX - The Sun.
    Associated with: Happiness, energy, optimism, accomplishment, warmth, vitality, generosity, dazzling, promising much and doing nothing, joy.

XX - Judgement.
    Associated with: Self-awareness, birth, renewal, transformation, hidden abilities, widened perception, self-deception, wrong identification.

XXI - The World.
    Associated with: Fulfilment, wholeness, harmony between spirit and body, being home in one's self, independence, false visions, being on a street to nowhere, running after false ideas.

Please send me the character sheet to me in a private message.
  2. SenpaiPancake

SenpaiPancake Shhh! I'm charging my laser... reg

3. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Oooh this sounds actually pretty cool! I don't know much about persona, I've only played Devil Summoner on the DS and seen some bits of playthrough from 3 and 4. But I'm interested. c:
  4. Chaos James

Chaos James Bastion of Debauchery vet

3DS Friend Code:
    1521-3083-7405
    I've played an hour of SMT:Online so I'd be derpy-herpin', but I wouldn't mind trying it and bumbling around like an idiot, XD.
  5. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

This sounds like it could be fun! I've played Devil Survivor and Strange Journey, and a little of Persona 4. think I'll double up with CJ and bumble around =D
  6. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Chi: if you get enough people interested and wanting to RP, you can have your own subforum like the Pokemon Rp and Magvel. Just thought I'd offer it :)
  7. Chi

I was already expecting you to suggest this, and I would be happy to accept this when I have everything going and enough people.
  8. Cloud

Cloud friend admin

Member:
    this dick
    I am makign this hapen...

tomorrow probably
  9. Chi

WOO I ADDED EVERYTHING! It's all in there... except something involving fusions and catalysts, but I assume people can guess what they do in general. If there's something I haven't clarified, please ask me in the cbox or in a PM and I'll do my best to help, and I apologize for the misunderstandings that could occur.
  10. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Probably a bit late, as you already heard my intentions in the cbox to make a char, but oh well, I just now saw this topic. :tpr:

But yeah I'd like to join.
  11. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

So, I've thought about it, and decided it could be interesting. So, I guess I'll be jumping in as well.