A Light in the Fog

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Doc Genz, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    Eve had just arrived in Impa, and the sun told her it was mid-afternoon. Her feet stung from the walk but she was determined to keep up the pace. It wouldn't be long before someone would come looking for her. This incident near Nabooru may have not be forgotten for weeks. Eve ran her fingers through her mess of a hairdo. She was going to need some pocket change if she was going to make it through the night.

Eve slowed to a walk and turned to the side of the street. If she asked nicely, someone around here might trade her for some fresh roop. She might not be broke right now, she thought, if only she had followed through with her plan to join the mischievous pair of Deku Scrubs she saw. Eve shook her head. No, that would have been a terrible idea. Eve had done bad before, but nothing downright shady. Shady was for the cunning and subtle, and Eve was neither of those things.

Several minutes passed and Eve had begun to panhandle with the tiny hat she had pinned to her hairband.

"I can guarantee I 'ave what you want! Just pocket change is all it needs!" she yelled into the street while waving her arms. She could not, in fact, guarantee anything. But Evelyn was lucky and she had a good feeling about this.
  2. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Yet again, Laurel had learnt very little if anything about the magic she sought. Frustrated, she barged out of the library into the evening. She'd have to stay at the inn again and travel back home tomorrow. Yet another dead end, she thought, resisting the urge to grit her teeth. Was there simply no information out there on these enchantments? All libraries and scrolls she was advised to read held the same information, and it was not enough to work with!

She stopped when she heard a little girl's voice calling into the streets, asking for pocket money. Laurel wasn't sure why she thought it was a good idea, or an idea that would bear any fruit, but she pulled her pouch from her waist and opened it up, digging out a handful of rupees as she walked over to the girl. Even if she didn't get anything out of it, she hadn't been raised to belittle the less lucky in life. "Excuse me. I'm looking for knowledge... and I'm willing to pay you for it. Do you know anything peculiar about Light, Shadow, or Wind magic?"
  3. Doc Genz

Doc Genz frozen again Moderator

3DS Friend Code:
    4081-5508-8152
    "Light, Shadow. . ." Eve mumbled over for herself.

". . . or Wind? I don't know much about Wind, madam. 'Sides that it messed up my hair and my clothes. Gather I've had several of my better dressed ruined by sandstorms. Hot tip for you miss, don't go in the desert. 'Specially don't live there, I learned my lesson I did."

Eve rambled on but she slowly was starting to notice Laurel's waning patience. The other two elements. . . what were they again?

"Oh right, milady. Light and Shadow, is what I know about. While I know only the most pathetic lick of Shadow Magic, I do have something that you will like! Something worth your change, I'm sure." the little girl squeaked. She pulled up the shoulder of her dress, exposing a strangely thick set of under-armor. A piece of sarashi, much like a bandage, wiggled out from her sleeve. With a little leveraging and a cut from a small knife, she eased a long rectangle off of her outfit.

"This, my liege, is but a fraction of what you're after. Light Magic comes in different concentrations. The material used in this magic cloth is spread very thinly, but if you give it some close study you'll find what you need to make the Light Enchantments. I'm still after the concentrated kind myself, but I don't have a way to hunt for it yet. I'm broke, you see. But you've done and made my day, you did!" the little girl babbled without stopping once.

"This material specifically provides a filter for Light-potent attacks. I got it for the off-chance somebody would try to burn my fair skin. You can't imagine how thick my poncho had to be to live in the south, now that I mention it. I sunburn easily, no doubt about it. Here, take the cloth and I'll accept your rupees. I have no doubts that that has the same exact aura as what you're looking for!" Eve flourished. She reached out her hand and put the rectangle out for Laurel. There was a silly grin on the girl's face. Her crooked smile seemed innocent enough, at least. She seemed like she was enraptured by Laurel's nobility. While Eve was dressed well, her own attempts at being proper were horribly stifled. This much became clear as she continued to scratch at her messy hair.
  4. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Even as the little girl rambled, Laurel felt her subconscious tugging to the little piece of cloth she held out. What the girl said was true, every word; it was interwoven with Light Magic. If she studied this, then maybe, just maybe...

The noble reached towards the street rat's hand, gently taking the golden cloth from her and observing it closely. Soon, a smile found its way to her face. "Thank you. You've given me more than the rest of this entire trip has done." She replaced the cloth with a handful of Rupees. "I hope this is enough." With that, she placed the cloth in her pouch with her remaining funds, and turned around to head back to the inn, mind racing. Extracting the magic from the cloth wouldn't do, but she could at least play with it and see how far it got her...