Zelda Time Line. What do you think? (Lots of SS spoilers)

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by Tanto, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Tanto

Tanto New Member new

Hey. Quite recently Nintendo released an official time line for the Zelda series showing how each game runs into the next and how after OOT the games split into 3 parallel universes.

Here's a link to the time line:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im ... d15515.jpg

Take a look.

I'm not sure what I think of it to be totally honest... also, because of the way the characters travel through time I don't think it's as simple as this makes it out to be. For example OOT has a seven year gap between the child and adult sections, so you could argue that Majora's Mask takes place during the OOT game time line ways. Or the fact that Impa is in Skyward sword and exist's in both the past and future eras... Impa is the one who founded Kakariko... you could ardue that OOT happens within SS in that case, in between the future and past eras that you travel to.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear what you guys have to say about the whole subject and am open to some good debate about the whole thing. :dizzy: :lol:
  2. Hyrulian Hero

Hyrulian Hero Member new

Re: Zelda Time Line. What do you think? (Lots of SS spoilers

Since the Sheikah are the protectors of the royal family in OoT, it seems the goddesses created the race to protect not the royal family but Zelda herself. Glitterberri hasn't yet finished translating the whole book (thank you eternally, GB!) but I've assumed for quite a while that Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf are all reincarnated (to an effect) every so often, probably by the triforce. The reason I think reincarnation is because we have no evidence of any of them having children (that I know of). So if the triforce does reincarnate them (in some way), the triforce manifests itself with its respective personality. This means, if Impa (who, by the way, is also in the Oracle series and Impaz is in TP) and the sheikah protect Zelda, they will also protect the triforce of Wisdom...Ijust looked it up, I guess the Sheikah are revealed in SS to protect Zelda specifically, I need to beat the game again. Anyway, it seems to me that some sheikah could take on the name of Impa throughout the generation as one of the older manuals talks about the Impa family. I reaally don't believe that all the games have the same Impa. Especially since SS saw that Impa's end. This also goes to say that I don't believe that Impa founded Kakariko.
  3. Knight_of_G

Knight_of_G Member reg

Here's the answer to the doubts on SS. Stable time loop. And as for Impa living a thousand years, what did Link plant in the past? To the best of my knowledge, a Life Tree fruits every hundred years. Impa's eaten those fruits. It also explains why she looks so stooped and old. It wouldn't have fruited until late in her life.

The Hero of Time in OoT broke time. I just wonder where it happened. Where it broke.

And I'm a little dubious on Nintendo officializing the timeline of a series they've spent 25 years keeping us in the dark on.
  4. urnotlikeme

urnotlikeme New Member reg

In my honest opinion Nintendo should have never made an canonical timeline, and it was best to have kept us speculating. So in the end, the timeline that Nintendo released should have went down like this:

-Nintendo gods created the triforce and the three goddesses to create Hyrule.
    -Nintendo gods created Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf to duke it out on Hyrule.
    -Nintendo gods grew bored and heard the fans plea for more Zelda games.
    -Nintendo gods created another Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf to duke it out.
    -Nintendo gods were not pleased that a Zelda game had not come out for their new console system, so they made another Zelda game.

It's really simple as that. I think the arguing and the bickering over the timeline without Nintendo's interference was great, and it really left a lot to the imagination. But when Nintendo got involved, it made us fans argue about something that was established, with less debating on what the timeline looked like, and more about on whether Nintendo's timeline was right or not. To be honest, Nintendo didn't think the whole timeline thing through, and all they did was simply create more games, and I was perfectly okay with that.
  5. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582

The question is really did the zelda series really need a timeline in the first place or is Nintendo just trying to please the fanboys...

Personally I don't care which game came when after which game and before which game happened. I know Majora's mask happened after Ocarina of Time, as did Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. I can also see the link between Minish Cap and the Four Sword series, I guess. But other than that, I think the games are best considered as stories on their own and not knowing the 'history' beyond what is told in the game itself doesn't decrease the fun in playing it.

I sure as heck don't think Nintendo had a 'timeline' in mind when they made LOZ and AOL, probably not even when they made LTTP. And we all know Miyamoto games have gameplay before story, so really, I just think they're trying to please the fanboys.