Winter Quest: The Yeti [Closed]

Discussion in 'Events' started by The NPC, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The NPC

The NPC It's dangerous to go alone. Take this.

This quest is tied to the Winter Event.

Description: Within the Northern Hills, there are four known sources of overwhelming dark power, each of which seems to be causing the blizzards that are slowly encroaching upon Hyrule. One of the sources is, according to rumor, a savage beast in the shape of a man who stands over a dozen feet tall, cloaked in thick white fur and yielding arms as thick and hard as cannon barrels. They say his hide can repel arrows and swords as twigs, and he can crush a lesser man's body in his monstrous grip...

Whether you have unyielding courage or blind foolishness, you have about as much hope of finding and killing this slayer as a Keese does a Darknut. May Din bless your journey.

Rewards: The rewards are of your choice if they can be reasonably woven into the role-play. Whereas a normal quest has rewards of 40r per player and 10r per character, this quest has 60r per player and 15r per character.

Notes: The warrior will be completely under your control during the role-play, but you are expected to make it just as challenging as one could ever expect it to be.
  2. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Re: Winter Event: The Yeti

Players/Characters: Dante Silvaros (WillowtheWhisp), Guy Denzrita (Guy)

Reward:
    Guy - (To be decided)
    Dante - 75 Quest Rupees - 70 Rupees (Farore's Wrath) = 5 Rupees + Farore's Wrath Reward + 10 Rupees (lv 2 Profession)

Note that Farore's Wrath was already accepted in the following quest, though the quest was never completed: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=369

Unique Major Treasure (open)
    `Farore's Wrath
    Original: WillowtheWhisp, Magic-Tier - Offensive
    [Wind], [Bow], [Projectile], [Transformation]

W4 and C5: 53 rupees
    W3 and C4: 70 rupees
    W2 and C3: 105 rupees
    W1 and C2: n/a
    C1: n/a

Prerequisites: 3 Courage, 2 Wisdom, Whirlwind, Wood-based Crafting Profession (of Level 1 for Specific, eg. Crossbow Crafter, or Level 2 for non-specific) and at least two of the following: [Wind] Specialty, Wind's Requiem, Wind Enchantment, Straight Shooting, Farore's Wind, Deku Leaf, Wind (Spell), Gust Jar

By modifying the Whirlwind, the user is able to create a powerful crossbow, capable of long-range accuracy and power. This crossbow utilizes the wind generated by the Whirlwind, and the pure force of a small bow, in order to launch bolts of up to 300 miles per hour. Through compressing the leaves of the Whirlwind, and creating a long barrel that further focuses these winds, the crafter can create the upper half of the cross bow. Then, through modifying a bow, or using materials to create the crossbeam for a crossbow, the crafter may attach this to the now modified Whirlwind. The final portion to the crossbow is a long stock on the haft portion of the whirlwind. The final product is a large crossbow that shoots high speed bolts, using the focused winds of the Whirlwind to add additional speed and rotational force for piercing. This crossbow can fire regular bolts, as well as modified bolts (e.g., a bolt with a seed on its tip). Farore's Wrath takes approximately five to ten seconds to load. If the user combines a normal bow with the Whirlwind to create this, the bow can be removed at any time and used as normal. Farore's Wrath with still function, though at a severely reduced speed, firing bolts at a speed of 180 miles per hour. However, in this mode, Farore's Wrath may fire thin blasts of wind, at the speed it would fire a normal bolt, that travel up to twenty feet. Although these are incapable of piercing flesh, these blasts of wind are concentrated to wind an opponent, divert a projectile, or even break ribs.

Farore's Wrath may be converted back to the Whirlwind, and vice-versa, at any time, though it takes several moments to do so.

Notes: This is the Hyrule equivalent of the modern day sniper rifle. Researching this, I feel that 400 mph is not unreasonable (I had originally planned for closer to 100 mph, although 100 mph is small, as the average medieval bow was in that range). Looking into it, the average 9mm bullet can travel up to speeds of 600+ mph, while modern day bows can reach 150 mph to 200 mph these days.

Edit: I've done more research and have found that the modern air rifle shoots around 400 mph. compensating for the difference in technology, but also for the magic present, I have changed the normal firing speed to 300 mph.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Re: Winter Event: The Yeti

Taking from his allotment of 75r, Guy's reward will be:
    -50r: Hover Boots
    -20r: Bladesmith Lv2
    -5r: +5 rupees
    +10 rupees from Bladesmith Lv2
  4. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Edit: I'd like to spend 60 of my own rupees for the spell Fire Enchantment, which puts me at a cost of 135 rupees (+5 an additional 5 from the Compass). 60 Rupees subtracted from Dante's total rupees, bringing me back down within the 75 of this quest.
  5. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Erm... Technically you can't do that. :tpr:

6. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Oh. It's been awhile. Right, I'll, uh, figure things out, in a bit, I guess.

Edit: Fixed most of everything, getting to the post now :V
  7. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
  8. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Alright. This was good, as per usual- normally, I'd ask about what happened to the whole "Hover Boots" issue, but that's Guy's thing, and under the circumstances... well, I'll just let that be. The Hylian writer was a nice touch, reminded me of a combination of stereotypes associated with writers and Thoreau. The thing with Guy and the Cuckoo made me laugh. Nice job. I was a little confused with the dream thing; I was reading the fight, then all of a sudden he was in a sunny glade- wait, what? Then I re-read the paragraph, and was like, "oh, ok." Just needed a quick glance back up.

I liked how you obtained Farore's Wrath, Will. Very nice.

@Guy: You need to RP obtaining your rewards. I'll leave the thread open, so you can add stuff onto it. But, until then, you can't claim those rewards. Sorry.

@Will: Apparently, you can take your rewards. So, have fun!

Please reply to this when you are ready for a final grading.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.