Which parts of Zelda Games do you dread the most?

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by Blonde Panther, May 7, 2013.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    We all have them. That ONE part of the game that we dread having to go through when we start up a fresh game file. In every game. At least, I know I do. What's yours? Or have you had such a dreaded part that, once you got to it, proved to be a lot less dreadful than you remembered it?

For me, four things come to mind: In Ocarina of Time, the Water Temple (unsurprisingly) and Fire Temple both have a part that I've dreaded since getting it for VC, since the only way I could pass them on the Emulator is by levitating. In the Water Temple, do you all recall the room with the waterfall you have to climb up with the Hookshot? Yeah, that room. With the Gold Skulltula on the wall you have to grab with the Longshot. I was afraid of having to do that room, because I'm so terribly SLOW with the hookshot. However, it proved a LOT easier than I had always imagined.

I've done the temples out of order though, so my greatest challenge has yet to be traversed: I have to try and get my spastic Link up to the chest containing the Megaton Hammer in the Fire Temple. If I cannot Longshot up to that, I can see myself sitting in front of my TV for hours before I throw the Classic Controller through it.

Outside of Ocarina of Time, there's Twilight Princess. The Twilight Palace, to be more exact. When you grab the Sols, you get chased by Zant's hands trying to take them back. I hate being chased. I hate time limits. And I especially hate creepy music playing when both of the above are in effect.

Lastly, there's Skyward Sword. The Silent Realms.

That is all.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

My biggest dread in Zelda games is, surprisingly, the actual act of starting up the game. I don't play through video games, I -become- the video game. When I play Zelda, I do my best to think like I was in Link's shoes, act like it, move like it, and run away and hang out at the entrance because if I was actually there it'd take me a while to actually get through the door. I talk to Navi and hold little conversations with her and everything- it's a very intense experience. It's emotionally draining, and it's also a big time commitment. Because of these, I often don't play through Zelda games. I think I've only gone through TP... once. I could probably tell you mostly anything about it, but an actual full-play-through? Just once.

Speaking of TP... I dread that huge overworld. I'm a fanatic of exploration, and that huge overworld gives me a mini-panic attack. It's not a gold mine, it's scary ;_; That and I dread starting the freaking Poe hunt, which takes forever and is uber frustrating without a guide. Miss one and huuuuurg.

Traditionally, I have always dreaded the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time. It was always the scariest to me as a child- much more so than the Shadow Temple, which merely intrigued me. The Forest Temple creeped me out a lot, and I always dragged my feet and did everything it was possible to do in the game without clearing it before stepping inside. It's not so bad now, but that fear hasn't quite gone extinct.

Majora's Mask I dread playing because... well, it's Majora's Mask. The emotional drainage is just too great.
  3. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Two words: Water Temple.

Okay, now that the obvious one is out of the way, I can talk about other things. For one, I recall the end of Minish Cap being pretty bad. Like, the part where you had to get to Vaati before the bell rang three times (That's it right? My memory is a little shaky). That gave me some trouble, as I take my time and tend to be awful at time limits. Another thing for me is dungeons in general. I know it's the bulk of the game, going through the dungeons, but just not having any more than a vague idea of what to expect when entering a dungeon is annoying.

There's definitely way more, but I'm having hard time thinking of specific examples right now. I'll probably make another post some other time to go more in depth when I think of things.
  4. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Timed puzzles. Every. Damn. Time.

That's all I've gotta say.
    Aurelia likes this.
  5. AnimeLuxray25

AnimeLuxray25 Member new

The ever-so-stressful-and-disturbing Silent Realms from Skyward Sword, and the City in the Sky dungeon from Twilight Princess. I dunno why, but I hate that dungeon.
  6. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Sneaking. Any sneaking at all. The bane of my existence! :tpr:
  7. Nolan

Nolan Member new

The games for consoles aren't as guilty of this, but the handheld Zelda Games are the worst culprit. I absolutely hate all of the fluff that tossed inbetween dungeons. All the sidequests and extra items you have to obtain before you can-- sometimes-- even get to the next area.

As an example, I'm playing through Oracle of Seasons right now, and I hate how to get into the third dungeon not only do you need to obtain an animal whistle, but also get Spring on your rod of seasons, which in turn results in a side quest in Subrosia with that stupid girl and her bow. I JUST WANT TO SOLVE PUZZLES AND KILL BAD GUYS. NOT DIG AROUND IN THE SAND FOR A STUPID STAR ROCK TO TAKE A HOODED STRANGER ON A DATE.

I also remember when I was really young and Ocarina of Time first came out on N64, I was terrified of the Shadow Temple because of the redeads and wall masters and dark shadowy spiky things, so I always had my dad play through it for me.

OH AND BEFORE I FORGET.

I hate flying in Skyward Sword. Or sailing in Wind Waker. It's great in the beginning of the game because you're exploring and having a great time discovering everything, but especially in Wind Waker, by the end of the game...I don't want to sail. And the teleporting-cyclone-thing-song doesn't always cut it. I hate it. It takes forever. I want to get to the dungeons and the bosses.
  8. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Just remembered. When you enter a room in Wind Waker you step onto a small ledge. When you're standing at the edge, you can look down and see the floor below is shaped like a small semicircle. Leaning up against the curved wall is a long row of coffins that you know contain Redeads. You know that if you were to jump down, they would all open at once, and you know that once you jump, there's no getting back up until you're done. I must have stayed on that ledge for days, trying to muster up the courage to jump into a room full of waiting WW Redeads.
  9. maythetriforcebewithyou

maythetriforcebewithyou New Member new

I can't stand the silent realms in SS. I never knew how much the adrenaline could build up in me before going through those trials.

I dread fighting the Imprisoned, it's not that I am afraid of it, but he is just extremely annoying.

Also the Forbidden Woods in WW, I just hate that dungeon, I don't know why, but I do.
  10. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

I hate sky-based levels. Twilight Princess's City in the Sky was hellish for me.
  11. spark

spark New Member new

it's funny how much everybody hates the Water Temple. I love it! I think it's one of the most fun to play through, personally. But I love Zelda games for the thinking challenges, the riddles, the figuring things out, and the Water Temple takes a lot of figuring out, so to me it's one of the best parts.

What I hate is the Shadow Temple. If I wanted to play a platforming game where you have to constantly worry about falling off the edge and having to start over, I'd play some Super Mario! I HATE all the spots in the Shadow Temple where you can fall and die. I've more than once just set the game aside for weeks because I was so sick of trying over and over and over to get through those areas and failing repeatedly.
  12. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

You... Like the Water Temple and... Hate the Shadow Temple...?

Get out. :|

Seriously though, you're opinions on the matter are a little... Odd. Not that I'm going to judge you for them of course, you are entitled to your own opinions
    No matter how wrong they may be
    :D
  13. Muramasa

Muramasa New Member new

There is one part in almost all of them that makes me realize,

I NEVER WANT TO PLAY THIS AGAIN.

Ocarina of Time - Jabu Jabu's Belly Octorok miniboss. I HATE THAT THING.

Twilight Princess - Zant Hands. FREAKING HORRIFYING.

*Ahem* Pardon my allcaps.
  14. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

If it's a sky level, I dread it. I never do well in sky levels no matter what the game is.
  15. Double_r111

Double_r111 Espeon reg

Just thought of another. Forsaken Fortress. Don't ask why, but I hate that place with a passion.

It's even worse the first time without the sword.
  16. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Okay, so... I got Ocarina of Time for my 3DS, and played through it to get up to where I was on VC and then some... turns out getting the Megaton Hammer, at least in the 3DS version, is PATHETICALLY easy. Of course, now I've missed Skulltulas in the Forest Temple and the Water Temple, and I have no clue where to look for them...

I have all the Big Poes and finding them without internet was great fun, but I AM afraid of having to do Bombchu Bowling for the Biggest Bomb Bag and a Heart Piece, as well as the Gerudo Archery Range for the Biggest Quiver and a Heart Piece, without save states. Such is my punishment for not playing fairly on the emulator.
  17. Aurelia

Aurelia unreliable and clumsy new

3DS Friend Code:
    3325-1925-7295
    I do not enjoy thinking a lot. Or thinking in general, so any type of riddles is just one thing I can't stand. (if its easy then its different). So in the Ikana Valley, down the well, with those Gibdo's, just no, why, no need for thinking too much on it. Plus you are dead, what do you need of some beans? Like really?
  18. Terrel

Terrel Oracle of Secrets reg

(( IKR?! I quit Majora's Mask because of those Gidbos :< I think the parts i dread most though, are when you have a dungeon that super relies on a single item, like the clawshot in twilight princess water dungeon, to do almost anything in the dungeon. its such a drag! ))
  19. Aurelia

Aurelia unreliable and clumsy new

3DS Friend Code:
    3325-1925-7295
    I can relate to that. But moreso with items that shouldn't even exist. Like the Spin wheel thing in Twilight Princes. I have seen no purpose with it other than getting on top of a cliff and only using once and never bother with it again (i.e. temple wise). Same thing with the Giants Mask in Majoras Mask. Just wtf.
  20. Terrel

Terrel Oracle of Secrets reg

(( or the sword upgrade in the last dungeon that never gets used after that ever again.. yep.. ))