What would have made it easier for you as a new member?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Bitoko, May 13, 2013.

1. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Hey everyone, this is a question for all those who have had to wade through all of our "systems" and what not to join the RP. Throughout the time that HC has been in existence, I can't count how may times I've heard members mention that things were confusing, or that they might have been overwhelmed. What I want to ask you is what would have made it easier for you to understand?

I am not seeking answers such as "Well if you changed this system to be like..." or "you should simplify how treasures and everything works because...", because I feel like our systems are just fine once you get a hang of them. What I do want to know is what would have made them easier for you to understand from the beginning? Would having a big FAQ help? What type of questions would you put on the FAQ? Things such as this. We are trying to put together a tutorials section where all of the Rp information can be held. The goal is to allow new members, whether they are experienced RPers or not, to be able to come in, know immediately where to go for the RP information, and to be able to understand it with minimal help and direction from everyone.

So yeah, I look forward to your responses!
  2. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    In fairness, I didn't have all THAT much trouble finding my way around the way the system worked, but what I did notice is that some threads seem to link to each other in a circular fashion 'before making sense of the library of treasures, you should read about Quests, but before you read about Quests you should read about PWC...' maybe not literally as I put it, but I remember thinking 'can't there just be one thread where everything is explained in order of complexity?'

So that's what I would suggest- keep the tutorial area condensed, and start with the most fundamental thing before you build up to the stuff that USES these fundaments. Start with PWC, then Rupees, then Treasures, then Quests, or something like that. Don't make a bucketload of threads on the system if they're just all going to link to each other.
  3. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

Having already made characters on three separate RP sites before coming to Hyrule Castle, I can't say I had any trouble getting into things here in the first place.
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Definitely a good idea. Thanks, BP!
  5. Clank

Clank Can we please kill the overuse of AJAX? reg

To be quite honest, just the recently added forums, as I don't RP much...
  6. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

BP hit it spot on.
  7. frigis

frigis New Member new

As a new member, I have to say that the library of treasures makes no sense to me. :/
    I don't know how to find anything I want, where to find anything I want, or what I want. I also don't know where to go to ask questions specifically about the library of treasures. Sorry that I broke this rule of the topic:

However I can only really say that this is the largest hurdle for me as a new player. I don't even know what to suggest because I don't even understand the system enough to see what is difficult about it.
  8. Quill

Does your computer have a Control-F function? It's also arranged in alphabetical order, so you can just scroll down until you find the name of the thing you want. If you're just browsing, then just browse by scrolling down the thread and looking at all the treasures.

If you don't understand something, you should ask :P

PM'img a Mod works, but if you want to keep it public, you can post in your Introductions thread. Either way, one of the Mods will step in and guide you through the systems. Let's not sidetrack this thread- we'll take it from the PM/intro post :)
  9. samusbot

samusbot Member new

Oddly enough, I didn't have much difficulty figuring out the system... (The only thing I can think of at the moment is that I had to ask other people what the current year was in the story for purposes of creating a new character. You just can't find it anywhere.)
  10. Quill

Timeline button up top, Sam :P
  11. samusbot

samusbot Member new

Now I feel really dumb, cause I've looked at that page more than a few times in search for it. :tpr: