What do you want to see in the Zelda Roleplay?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Bitoko, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Hey guys. So I've talked with a few of you, who know by now that I really want to get HC's Zelda Roleplay to a point that it is fun for everyone, and isn't a place with a ton of restrictions. I think staff had too much control in the past, and I want to rectify that. I'm going to be making a much longer and indepth post about this later this week, however I wanted to get this out there now. What do you, as members, want to see in the roleplay?

I am open to any suggestions, again, I want this to be something fun for all of you. I plan on the staff being less strict about things (as long as they're not god-modding or world breaking (like lightsabers and things that obviously don't fit) or canon breaking), and am opening things up to you guys. I think for a long time, the staff was making decisions without really asking what you guys want, so here is your chance.

What would make you want to participate more in the Zelda RP?
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

The Great Flood. :haa: Drown Hyrule in a deluge lasting 40 days and 40 nights, leaving little but mountaintops and Dragon Roost intact. (But, no, I do feel Hyrule is a bit too large sometimes, not that I'm expecting that to change.)

More realistically, origins and racial treasures could use a remix--as many others have suggested already. I would still like to see (a return of) monster races. Getting Amun Sobek (Adaar) or the-only-friendly-wizzrobe-ever (Vladislak) to pop up again would be awesome, but that's not going to happen. Even just getting more (active) players would be nice. I don't ever see HC becoming a huge site, but it's far from the pace I remember HS having at its peak.

I'd like to see more NPC mischief, like from the Arena Lord, the infamous [EVENT], or other unexpected happenings not directly related to the main plot. Zelda is often as mystical and epic as it is silly and whimsical, so occasionally something unexpected and not related to the (serious) storyline feels fitting. There's always a great deal of lore which could be drawn upon in some way, too--from Kinstones and Pictographs, to Fokka and Vaati.

On a slightly unrelated note: You already know this, Bitoko, but I would like to see more of a focus on the role-play itself. We're not an informative site, and I feel like "hyrulecastle.org" should just lead straight to the forums.

On a more unrelated note: can someone delete the "Current Events" subforum now?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

You know, this may sound kind of silly, but just from an RPing standpoint I would kind of say the opposite of what Guy joked about.

I know it has been added to slightly, but the bulk of the landmass in Hyrule is close to 200x200 miles, which may sound like a lot but really isn't. 200x200 is roughly half the size of Utah. The longest journey you could foresee is only going to be a few weeks, and if someone were trying to make haste (especially with a lot of the things we've added as treasures) they could travel across much of the known world in a matter of days.

Comparatively, if you were to use another fantasy as an example such as Lord of the Rings, the eastern continent of Middle Earth is quite literally thousands of miles from head to toe. This opens up possibility for a lot of unknown (What's over there, I've not heard from that place in a long long time, and so on) that can be very intriguing from a story-telling perspective. I feel like the HC roleplay already focuses on those things a lot, too. The way you set up North and South Hyrule being cut off from each other and isolated is a really neat story mechanic, and having the Eastern Sea be seemingly endless is awesome too. Sometimes it seems hard to picture that when the landmass is as small as it is.

On top of that, I feel like a lot of RPers already treat Hyrule as bigger than it actually is, when it comes to their roleplay, but that's just what I've personally seen.

I'm not suggesting "Making Hyrule as big as Middle Earth" or "If we're not Tolkien we're not good enough" or anything like that, but increasing the scale of Hyrule, if it were possible to do so, feels like it would add to the RP experience. Just my thoughts, though.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I can see the merit to your perspective, Ribitta. The way you view it, making Hyrule larger would be worthwhile.

Let's assume, however, that I want to role-play with your character who, for example, is in Castle-Town. The character I want to use is Sienna Denzrita, who's currently on, let's say, Dragon Roost Island. Assuming we keep continuity, we'd have to go out of our way to get these characters to each other (unless we planned on doing a Classic Dungeon), as traveling would take days, and would likely seem odd for either of our characters to travel such a distance on a whim.

Similarly, let's say there's an event going on in Castle-Town, and my character is still at Dragon Roost. It would seem weird for her to simply appear there, although it could be done.

It goes without saying that this Hyrule is larger than any canon one by far, but, I suppose any canon Hyrule only has one player roaming its span.

On either side of the fence, though, I think it isn't a big deal. Hopefully the current size functions as a decent middle-ground between our two extremes. At the very least, the Great Sea's massive expanse alone can make for an epic journey you would favor; while there's treasures which can make my convenience of travel nearly convenient enough.
  5. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I don't really see a problem the way it is. I mean, I always RP Hyrule as being a little larger than what's technically correct, but I also have a tendency to handwave things like travel in-between threads. I mean, there are so reasons why a person could leave one town for another- I just don't dwell on it much. Except, of course, if we're talking about travel between the three regions. That's different. But yeah, current setup seems fine. Small enough to make handwave-travel conceivable, large enough (including RP liberties) to keep mystique and, if so desired, a thick travel-based thread.
  6. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

This is a good discussion, but let's not derail the thread. Any one else have things they'd like to see in the RP?
  7. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I actually find the idea of monster races interesting. It may be limited only to the sentient races, like Wizzrobes and Moblins and stuff, but I think it'd be pretty cool. Not only does that open up the opportunity to really RP from Ganon's side, but it also just sounds really cool to RP as a Stalfos or Wizzrobe or w/e. Gives you more character personality choices, too, and gives plenty of RP opportunities.

What do you think?
    Bitoko likes this.
  8. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    I do find the idea of having, say, a Stalchild running about and mucking things up, but given our my borderline dissociative personality disorder and horde of characters, I guess that's no big surprise. :haa:

But more seriously I believe that there was the idea for more "Encounters" like rib's Curse of Time Passed, which I think was pretty well-received by everyone, just that we're not sure what would constitute that.