Water Control [Review]

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Squishy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Uhh, well, since the LoT 2 is taking a little long, I’ll just toss this in here as Willow said. I’ve fixed the pricing, but I have no idea if the spell in general is okay.
    I came up with this a few months ago, but a day after I posted it, I heard about the alchemy treasures, so please forgive me any overlapping in the treasures, that was unintentional. :V

Water Control (open)
    `Water Control
    Unique: Original: Squishy, Spell - Utility
    [Alteration], [Water]

W1: 180 rupees
    W2: 160 rupees
    W3: 140 rupees
    W4: 120 rupees
    W5: 100 rupees

The water control spell is a talent that runs in the Clearwater family. It's a spell that allows the user to control, to some extent, the flow, shape and place of water, the amount depending on the user's wisdom.
    To be able to use this spell, there has to be water nearby of course, such as raindrops, a pond or any container holding water. A skilled user might also drain water from his or her surroundings, such as raindrops, dew, vapor, or rely on the water in their own body or that of enemies. Of course, draining water out of their own body or that from an enemy will make them feel the effects of dehydration, to the point of fainting or even dying.
    The water can be lifted and moved by the caster, at a maximum distance of ten metres, before it collapses and falls where it is currently floating, losing concentration, fainting or walking too much will also cancel the spell.
    The spell may be used to dowse fires, simply replace water, or even fling it at enemies, or any other uses the caster can come up with. The water is controlled by directing it with the hands.
    Users with a wisdom lower than 3 first have to touch the water with their hands in order to lift and control it.
    Users with a wisdom higher than 3 require less concentration to control the water and are able to take slow steps with it. Fast movements such as jumping or dodging something will cancel the spell.

W1: The user may move up to 5 litres, but has to touch the water in order to control it, maximum distance is 1 metre.
    W2: The user may move up to 20 litres, maximum distance is 3 metres
    W3: The user may move up to 50 litres, and can now lift the water telepathically, maximum distance is 5 metres
    W4: The user may now move up to 70 litres, maximum distance is 7 metres
    W5: The user can now move up to 100 litres, maximum distance is 10 metres

I'd like to make this a unique treasure for now, if the academy rp gets rolling I might want to change it into a teachable or normal treasure, if that's possible?

Of course, with using the spell, I assume players won’t use it on other players without asking, since that’s against the rules, should I edit that in, or is that common sense?
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Alright, Squish, sorry this took so long. Rib and I both like this idea, but we agreed it was too powerful for just one treasure. We decided that instead of nerfing it, we'd try spliting it up into three different treasures. They'd act as treasure tiers, and they'd all work as pre-reqs for each other (you'd need to purchase treasure tier 1 before treasure tier 2 and so on). The only difference between the three tiers is the volume that can be controlled.

We liked your min-max on the volume, so we just divvied it up evenly between the tiers (35-70-100 litres, 4-7-10 meters). We also thought to leave the power of the spell up to the tier the user purchased, and just leave PWC out completely (except for the price of the treasure tiers, of course).

Finally, to prevent abuse, we were thinking to clarify that this spell controls water in a very blunt, straightforward kind of way. Yes, it could be used in combat (you could move it over someone's head and drop it), but.... We liked what you said about it needing a lot of control, and moving quickly would cancel the spell. Nice!

What do you think?
  3. Squishy

Don't worry, it's fine, I kinda forgot about it myself... xD

I'm fine with splitting it up, I was actually thinking about it myself, but more to split the tiers up in like, a utility-based treasure (moving water), a defense-based one (water shield) and then finally an offense-based one (with faster movement, whip-like attacks?), but that might get a little too complicated. Perhaps a better idea to make those like 'upgrades' and separate treasures?

However, what's going to happen to the cost of the tiers? As in, how much will it cost if I'd want to purchase all three tiers at once?

Yeah, I think what you proposed is the best way to avoid abuse, but does that mean the user could still take water from his/her surroundings (save for enemies/other characters) and their own body?
  4. Quill

Yeah, those would be created at a later date as treasures which work to specifically upgrade their already purchased Water Control treasure, if someone wanted them.

You wouldn't be able to purchase all three tiers at once. Each tier would be moderately expensive, maybe something like this:

W5: 45 rupees
    W4: 60 rupees
    W3: 90 rupees
    W2: 120 rupees
    W1: 240 rupees

Just based off of how the rewards system works, it's unlikely that you would be able to purchase multiple 45r treasures at once.

I don't see why they couldn't take water from their surroundings. I mean, it'll take more concentration/time to gather all the raindrops or shallow puddles into a single group and then use that mass than it would to just have a mass ready, but... taking water from the surroundings is how the spell functions, so that's fine.

Now, the "from their own body" part is a little trickier. Our bodies are, what, 70% water? But I don't think that water's just sitting idly by. If you took water out of, say, your left arm, would you run the risk of being left with a shrivelled, dead husk?

Another problem is that I'm not sure if the spell's complex enough to be able to isolate and withdraw an elemental compound like that from a substance. Katara could do it, yeah, but that's water-bending. I don't think this "pick up and move" spell would be able to do something like that. It could pull together different sources of moisture sitting by idly, yes, but extracting water from a complicated substance like the human body? I'm not sure.

Rib, Squish, what are your thoughts?
  5. Squishy

I think what you proposed is a good idea.

Uhh, that was sort of the purpose, that you'd pay a price for draining water from yourself, but I agree that the spell might become a little too complex if that would be included.

I'm fine with what you proposed, with splitting them in tiers and leaving some bits of it. c:
  6. Quill

Hoorays! Alright, so I think at this point it'd be best if you replied with an edited version of WC. That'll make it easier to review and finally grade.

Rib, you can jump in with your thoughts at any time.
  7. Squishy

Alright, I've edited the treasures c: I'm not sure if I should keep the same description in every tier, or just put it in the first one?

Water Control I (open)
    `Water Control I
    [Alteration], [Water]

The water control spell is a talent that runs in the Clearwater family. It's a spell that allows the user to control, to some extent, the flow, shape and place of water, the amount depending on how well-trained the user is.

To be able to use this spell, there has to be water nearby of course, such as raindrops, a pond or any container holding water. A skilled user might also drain water from his or her surroundings, such as raindrops, dew or vapor.

At tier 1, the water, with a maximum volume of 35 litres, can be lifted and moved by the caster, at a maximum distance of 4 metres, before it collapses and falls where it is currently floating. Losing concentration, fainting or walking while controlling the water will cancel the spell.

Water Control II (open)
    `Water Control II
    [Alteration], [Water]

Prerequisite to obtain & use: Water Control I

The water control spell is a talent that runs in the Clearwater family. It's a spell that allows the user to control, to some extent, the flow, shape and place of water, the amount depending on how well-trained the user is.

To be able to use this spell, there has to be water nearby of course, such as raindrops, a pond or any container holding water. A skilled user might also drain water from his or her surroundings, such as raindrops, dew or vapor.

At tier 2, the water, with a maximum volume of 70 litres, can be lifted and moved by the caster, at a maximum distance of 7 metres, before it collapses and falls where it is currently floating. Losing concentration or fainting will cancel the spell, though at tier 2 it is possible to take slow steps while controlling the water. Quick sudden movements such as jumping or dodging will cancel the spell.

Water Control III (open)
    `Water Control III
    [Alteration], [Water]

Prerequisite to obtain & use: Water Control II

At tier 3, the water, with a maximum volume of 100 litres, can be lifted and moved by the caster, at a maximum distance of 10 metres, before it collapses and falls where it is currently floating. Losing concentration or fainting will cancel the spell. At tier 3 it is possible to walk at a slow but steady pace while controlling the water, although any sudden movements will still cancel the spell.
  8. Quill

Alright, this looks good to me. Just to check, the meter limit; is that like a range away from the caster that can be controlled within, or is that literally "it can be moved a total of 4m?"

Also, I agree with you; adding in the benefit of increased caster mobility is a nice bonus to each tier.

Thank you for emphasizing the "pick up and move" part of the spell. Hopefully, that'll help discourage future high-level water-bending XD
  9. Squishy

Oh, the distance is the distance from the caster :V I forgot to mention that.

Err, do I have to make a new thread for grading (if the treasures are okay like this)? Or is this one fine?
  10. Quill

Nah, we can do it here.

I approve of this treasure. You need one more moderator's approval before this can be added into the Library of Treasures.
  11. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

After much delay, this is finally accepted--sorry about that.

Would definitely look forward to seeing you make attachment spells regarding this in the future.