Trophies

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Quill, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Right now, our trophy system is bare bones. Most of it involves 'likes,' and now that we're focusing more on the RP than on the discussions, I think we could do with adding some stuff. Here are some ideas I had:

1) Add more trophies to the "you have made x number of posts" streak. Those are pretty cool, I think, and it can't hurt to add more.

2) Have some trophies be awarded on members' accomplishments. For example, have a NaNo trophy.

3) Have some trophies be awarded based on character accomplishments. For example, we could have a trophy streak on victories in the Arena, or number of Classic Dungeons completed, or situational stuff like "has RP'd in all three areas of Hyrule" or event-based awards like "defeated the Yeti / Wolfos / Wyvern / Wizzrobe" or, even if they weren't canonical, "cleared Lavaclaw / Skyview." Stuff like that, I think, would be really cool. I have to say, though, this would be best with sub-accounts; trophies tacked onto the character that earned them.

4) Have a trophy for, I dunno, length-of-stay on HC.

These are just ideas, mind you, but I think the trophy system is something we could really milk. Any more ideas?
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Personally, I'd rather remove trophies altogether instead of adding more. Trophy Points are feel a way of competing over something which shouldn't be competed over. In my opinion, no one should get "points" for having more posts, more likes, role-playing more than someone else instead of more skillfully than someone else, or being on the site longer than anyone else. Such things should be taken into consideration when promoting someone to Regular or Veteran, but shouldn't be simplified down to mere "points" which constantly hovers beneath their username and avatar.

Trophy Points can cause someone to instantly judge another member by their score, and not the content of their character, the contribution from their posts, or their skill in role-playing. I find it distasteful, and a bit petty, to (unintentionally) encourage judgement like that universally across the entire forum... let alone to expand upon it. It's why I'm glad the ranks of HS are gone, and why I've always vouched for invisible post count.
  3. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Oh, I wasn't thinking of trophy Points, more of trophies themselves. Little "achievement unlocked" things (or whatever they're called) that we can put into our sig or w/e. Sorry for the miscomunication- I wasn't talking about a tally score to be competed over, I meant individual accomplishments we can be proud of.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I'd be alright with something like that, then, I would think. I'd rather just see Trophy Points disappear. As for plain Trophies, I'm practically impartial.