Treasure Trap

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Quill, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Name: Treasure Trap

P/W/C Type: Wisdom

Appearance: Depends on the trap

Description of Function: The user may store one offensive spell inside a small container, such as a chest. When next opened, that spell will unleashed upon the unwary thief.

Limitations: Only one trap may be active at a time. The user may not cast the stored offensive spell until the trap has been sprung.
  2. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

No questions but rather a request on this one. I feel like triggering a full scale spell at point blank could be more powerful than this deserves. Could we cut the effectiveness (generally speaking) by about a quarter?
  3. Quill

Sure! If you want, there can also be a "power of the spell dwindles over time spent in the container" bit too, although I'm not sure if that would really fit with the treasure's purpose.
  4. Ribitta

Kind of a neat idea, but I don't think it'd be necessary. I'm fine with just letting it sit but reducing the power of the spell.

That said, 1/2 from me.
  5. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg

So what happens if someone stacks other unseen traps on the booby-trapped chest? Like Electric Trap, for instance. Should we have it where you can't put other traps within the vicinity of any Treasure Trap?
  6. Quill

I'm actually wondering if there should be a broad "multiple traps cannot be set on top of each other" thing. No matter what the trap is, I think, this problem will arise. For instance, a Quicksand + Electric Trap combo would be fatal.
  7. Ribitta

We need to add the [Trap] field to the LoT anyway. We could include that rule in the field definition.
  8. Quill

There already is a Trap field. It just hasn't been used much. I like the idea of the edit, though.
  9. Quill

Do you think this should apply to all spells in general, or is it better that it applies only to [Offense] treasures? I took out the "only one trap may be in effect at a time," since if the user wants to store more of his inventory in random containers I can't see it being a problem. The [Trap] field doesn't let people lay on [Trap] spells, so... is the "not operate at full power" sufficient, or should it need a specific "operate at approximately 1/4 power?"

Thoughts?

`Treasure Trap
    Canonical, Magic Tier - Offense
    [Enchantment], [Magical], [Trap]

W5: 20 rupees
    W4: 30 rupees
    W3: 45 rupees
    W2: 50 rupees
    W1: 65 rupees

The caster may store one spell inside a small container, such as a chest or drawer. When next opened, that spell will be unleashed upon the unwary visitor; however, that spell will not operate at full power. Storing the spell removes it from the caster's inventory until the trap has been triggered.
  10. Ribitta

This all looks fine with me. Waiting on Rising.
  11. Rising Dragon

Rising Dragon Goat Herder reg