Total Eclipse

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Darth_Slaverus, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

Name: Total Eclipse

P/W/C: Wisdom

Appearance: The user stands still and chants for thirty seconds. Upon completion, the very air around the caster is imbued with darkness. The radius of the spell extends outward in a spherical shape, enough to cover most of a medium-sized room (Not a very good judge of distances myself, will leave it to mods).

Function: Light magic users have long been a thorn in the side of those attuned to the darkness, and this spell was created to offer some defense against those sickeningly heroic fools. The aura of darkness this spell creates twists and warps the Light magic of any who draw near. A character who tries to use a Light magic treasure within the sphere immediately suffers vicious magical backlash, and the effect of their light magic is changed to something more malevolent. For example, a healing spell might instead cause harm or cause the healer to take on the injured's wounds themselves.

Anyone who attempts to use a treasure with the "Light" field from outside the sphere into the sphere will find their treasure will fail as it makes contact with the sphere. Other treasures can pass through the sphere with little reduction in power. In addition, any treasures with the "Dark" field gain a boost in power if used within the sphere (This boost remains even if the effect of the treasure travels outside the sphere). This applies to both the user and anyone else who ventures inside the sphere.

The sphere lasts until dispelled by the user or until it crumbles under assault. It is possible to attack the sphere directly, and the sphere can only repel so many Light treasures before it loses its potency. Of course, attacking the sphere means you aren't attacking the caster inside...

Unlike most Dark Affinity spells, taking this treasure does NOT increase light magic vulnerability.

Limitations: Requires Dark Affinity. Any significant interference during the incantation will cause Total Eclipse to fail and require the incantation to be repeated. The thirty second wind-up time makes it impractical to use in the midst of combat without a distraction. Only one sphere can be deployed at a time.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I appreciate the flavorful text you put in, Darth, but next time can you keep the fields as cut-and-dry as possible? We use fields and not just a straight-up treasure description because it's much, much, much easier to work with and draft up.

Let me make sure I have this treasure right.

'

The caster, after many seconds of preparation, may create a moderately large sphere of darkened air that allows no Light magic to pass into it. Any Light magic cast within the sphere is given a horrible, malevolent twist which somehow backlashes on its caster or his purpose for casting it. Dark magic, conversely, is amplified within the sphere. It is possible to directly attack and damage the sphere, and it can only repel and twist Light magic so much before losing its power. Only one sphere can be in use at a time.

'

I'm not really sure how someone would attack darkened air. How would that work?

One final thing. [Dark] magic is defined as magic which is derived from sacrificing one's humanity. Dark Magic always come with a price, some sort of serious drawback for the character. Do you have any ideas for this?
  3. Darth_Slaverus

Your summary of the treasure is pretty much spot on, though Dark moves can travel outside the sphere and still retain the enhanced effect, as long as they are initiated within the sphere.

As for how it can be damaged, my thought was that the sphere takes on the form of a highly-visible black orb, which one could cast a spell at or swing a magic weapon into. This would slowly erode the power of the sphere until it dissipated.

As for a drawback, perhaps the owner's vision suffers due to all that time spent in the darkness?
  4. Quill

First and second paragraphs sound good. Third is more iffy. I'd rather the drawback be more connected to what the treasure does. To open the board for discussions, and by no means must this be the end result, perhaps something about "all non-dark spells cast by the owner have the possibility of malevolently backlashing on him in some way"?
  5. Darth_Slaverus

I think that would be a good idea for a drawback, yes. Sorry about the late reply, been busy with school X_X
  6. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

So this is all very late, and this one may extend a bit into March given both business from staff and from Darth, but here's what I'm thinking right now.

With Quill's drawback, I feel like this is a fairly sound ability, even if a more complex one than usual. To fit the DA tag better, I think we might be able to phrase it as something like, "The user radiates his inner darkness, creating a bubble of moderate size that..." and so forth. Mostly just diction changes.

I have one more caveat, though, and that's that I think the caster should be required to stay in the bubble to sustain it, and once they leave or it is destroyed they cannot recast for a reasonable amount of time. This is basically a hard counter to Light Magic, Dark's greatest weakness at this point, so making it a stationary defense seems only fair rather than having it be like a bomb shelter on the battlefield you can just duck into whenever things get hot.

Does that work?
  7. Darth_Slaverus

Yes, that would work well as an additional drawback. In fact, I think at some point I had intended to fit something like that in the treasure to begin with, but it slipped my mind. XP
  8. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

All that considered, then, I'm 1/2 for this idea.
  9. Quill

2/2. Accepted. Do you like this, Darth?

`Total Eclipse
    Original: Darth_Slaverus, Spell - Defense/Offense
    [Conjuration], [Dark], [Empowerment]

W5: 50 rupees
    W4: 65 rupees
    W3: 85 rupees
    W2: 115 rupees
    W1: 145 rupees

The caster is capable of radiating his inner darkness into a moderately sized bubble that allows no Light magic to enter it. Additionally, its darkness twists any Light magic cast within it, giving Light magic a horrible, malevolent twist that somehow backslashes on its caster. Naturally, Dark magic initiated within the bubble is strengthened. It is possible to directly attack, damage, and destroy the bubble of darkness, and it can only affect so much magic before losing its power. The bubble is born from the caster's inner darkness; if he were to leave, it would immediately vanish. Only one bubble can exist at a time, and the spell can only be recast after some time has passed. Possessing this spell causes all non-Dark spells cast by the owner have the possibility of malevolently backlashing on him in some way.
  10. Darth_Slaverus

Looks good, though the description doesn't state DA as a requirement.
  11. Quill

Thanks. That'll be added in. Consider this treasure accepted!