The Plane of Shadows [Moonshadow] - COMPLETE

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Blonde Panther, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "GOT YOU!" Thria finally caught up to the black ChuChu, hitting the brakes and skidding by it to block its path. Knowing she couldn't punch it, she instead launched a fireball at it to scare it into moving back, towards Triton and Finnagan. Triton had to admit he admired the older Zora's nerve- after having been attacked by presumably one of these things before and almost dying as a consequence, he stared the approaching Chu down fearlessly, taking his large spear in two hands.

To their collective horror, the Chu didn't leap at Finnagan but at Triton.

Fortunately, Triton had the quick reflex to jerk both his arms up to cover his face and start circulating electricity through his skin, summoning a powerful aura of lightning to protect himself and knock the Chu back. Finnagan took this opportunity to bury his spear in it and twist the weapon a few times, until the black jelly oozed away. "Well," he said, brushing back his own fish tail appendage as if relieved, "I'll take that as revenge for what its kin did to me before." Still, his voice trembled. "Shall we go and ask our friend if he's alright?"

"Let's," Triton said, waiting until Thria rejoined them. However, as they approached the rest of the group, they saw them all sitting around the stiffened body of a... Zora drained of all colour.
  2. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

This was all wrong. Fion shook the man by the shoulder, squeezing it, shouting at him. But nothing happened. The man remained completely devoid of all colour. They had defeated the creature, had they not? Why was the man still grey? He looked up helplessly at Triton, not needing the book to convey his utter confusion, fear and sadness.

He was shaking, fighting to hold back tears. He had not known the man, and yet... The Twili looked away, staring into the distance. He could not bear to look at the grey man anymore.

But he soon wished he hadn't.

Fion's eyes grew large. Sheer. Terror. That was what filled him at scene unfolding in front of him. Not the fact that the full moon was climbing higher and bathing everything in a stark white light, not the fact the sky seemed to grow brighter with each passing moment, or that glimpses of the world below started appearing in it. No. It was the water. Or rather, what he could see in the crystal clear ocean.

First there was one tiny dark spot. Then another. And another. Large patches of pure nothingness spread like ink. It started to dawn on Fion that they had chased after the wrong creature. He wanted to scream, but no sound came out.

The entire sea had turned black.

And it was coming straight for them.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Fion?" When Triton saw the Twili's eyes go wide, he didn't think to look at what it was that had scared him, but gently took his shoulder. "Fion, what is..." Finally, he got the hint, turning his gaze in the same direction. "Oh... sweet mother of Jabu-Jabu..." he got up, dragging Fion to his feet as well. "We... we are..." so dead, was what he wanted to say, but he couldn't let himself utter those words. Thria turned in the same direction, looking ready to punch someone's lights out, but even her eyes went wide when she saw the veritable horde approaching them.

"HOLY FISH BALLS!" she screamed, snapping the remaining Zoras out of their stupor. Triton found his voice back, as well.

"We can't take that many of them!" he shouted, stating the obvious, "Get running! Run! Back to the platform, we can make our stand there!" He started running, dragging Fion by the wrist. As he turned around, he saw that the sky had turned to reflect the Zoras and the Twili, clearly showing the fear on their faces and their weary bodies. But there was something else. A glimpse of movement in his peripheral vision caught his attention and he snapped his head to a side. There it was... the most alien, and yet comforting, thing he had seen since entering this strange world.

An enormous, metal snake moving on wheels approached the platform, moving at a dazzling speed but seeming to slow down as it approached. "We can take shelter in there!" he shouted, pointing at it with his cane, "Hurry! Before it passes by without us!" He started to run a little faster, most of the men keeping up.

Sadly, one of their scholars was not as fast as the warriors with them. What Thria had feared, had happened; his flippers gave out and he stumbled, the sea of nothing washing over him and overtaking him. Triton saw it happen in the reflections in the sky, and swallowed. That poor soul... but there was no time to wait. They had no chance against this many of the Chus. No... their only hope was the metal snake, which had now stopped at the platform and slowly opened multiple doors in its side.
  4. Squishy

They ran for their lives, all tiredness suddenly forgotten. Fion could not remember ever running so hard in his life. Tears were leaking from his eyes, making the world around him blurry. He was aware of Triton shouting something, something moving in the sky, someone falling. It was all too chaotic. He simply ran, never letting go of Triton as the world behind them turned to black.

Water splashed up everywhere as they rushed up the platform, right into the waiting snake, bursting through the doors in its side as a bell rung out.

"NO! No no n-" One of the fighters had not made it in fast enough, the doors sliding shut before he could jump in. Fion could only watch in horror as the black mass swamped him, dragging him down and out of sight.

Then, the doors clicked. They started moving. They were safe.

Fion dropped to the ground, his shaking legs refusing to carry him any longer.
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Once inside the metal train, Triton finally let go of Fion, putting his hand on his chest as he struggled for air. They'd made it... The majority of them were safe... He looked around, watching as Zoras explored the inside of the snake, finding comfortable, padded benches and sitting down on them. He helped Fion take a seat in one of them as well, but just as he wanted to sit down opposite the Twili, he saw Thria.

His sister was not her usual self, having sat down a few rows away from her men and burying her face in her hands. She was trembling, shaking her head ever so slightly. He excused himself to the Twili, getting up and walking over to her; almost being slung into her lap as the snake shook. "Thria," he said, putting a hand on her shoulder. "It's alright. We're safe."

"Shut your trap," Thria said, her voice shaking. "I don't know if you've noticed, but we lost three men there." This was a surprise. Thria had lost men in battle before... he didn't think it would affect her this badly. "Two of them were mine. And they were good men, Triton. I brought my best on this mission because I want to make sure your bookworm ass gets out of here intact."

"I'm not dead yet," he tried, only for Thria to cry out in frustration.

"You don't understand! You saw those things- there's nothing I can do to them! I can't hurt these things! If I kick them or hit them I'm the one who gets hurt, and..." she buried her face again, trembling harder. "Leave me alone," she said, muffled. "Just leave me alone for now. I... I'll be okay if I can just be alone..."

"Get some sleep, sister," Triton said, patting her on the back. "We're all tired. You'll feel better if you sleep a bit... I promise I'll keep an eye out for you this time." He stood up, walking away from his sister and back to Fion, although he kept looking over his shoulder. Seeing Thria in this state was more unnerving than hearing her swear at her men and watching her punch monsters bigger than herself in the gut. He hoped she'd go back to her usual loud self soon.
  6. Squishy

Fion looked up at Triton, a dull look in his eyes as tears ran down from them. He sniffed, wiping at them with his sleeve, but more just kept coming. His mind started to catch up with what just really happened. Three men dead. A swarm of those... those things. And now they were speeding off somewhere, in a contraption he wouldn't have been able to think up in his wildest dreams.

The snake jolted, dropping Triton in the seat opposite of Fion. The Twili glanced around fearfully, fearing the horde had caught up with them. But nothing happened. He waited a few more seconds before he was really convinced nothing came, then dropped the book on the little table between the seats.

Fion took a few deep but shaky breaths, trying to calm himself down. 'Safe?' He sniffed again, wiping the last stray tears away. His heart still raced, painfully. But for once, he was glad to be in such a bright place. The lights inside the snake were a stark contrast to the blackness of the swam that had followed them. The Twili spoke again. His voice was soft.

'I'm sorry. For you. Your sister.'
  7. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Yeah," Triton said, distracted, still looking over his shoulder at Thria. "Me too." He slammed his fist on the table in frustration. Thria thought she had failed, but in the end, Triton was the leader of this expedition. Seeing his men safe had been his responsibility, too. Did they know the men were dead? Or was what awaited them a fate worse than death? He looked at Finnagan, who was busy maintaining his spear, and Nereid, who seemed to be calmly looking out a window. They had felt feedback from these things, Finnagan had even been victimized by them. He shuddered. He didn't want to think about it anymore.

'I'm sorry too, Fion. I was irresponsible, dragging you into this. I should have sent you back to Hyrule the moment we found you.'
  8. Squishy

'No. I-' Fion faltered. 'I would not have gone back.'

He raised his hand reached out, but then hesitated. Triton looked lost. Very gently, the Twili patted his hand, hoping it was a comforting gesture. Outside, the endless sea moved by, not a single trace of the horde that had nearly killed them. Everything looked perfectly peaceful, the water now crystal clear and the sky reflecting the ground. It was a strange sight to see the metal snake move across the sky, as if there were two of them. Fion sat back, staring out the window. He felt like he was starting to calm down, now the worst of the threat had disappeared.

The mood in the snake was muted, everyone focusing on their own little task, or vacantly staring out, only the occasional jolt of the thing disrupting them.
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Triton smiled as Fion patted his hand. The Twili was a completely innocent bystander in this mess, had seen horrors beyond his presumed age, and yet here he was, trying to comfort a grown man who had gotten into this voluntarily. What he said was more confusing, however. 'You wouldn't? But why not? You said you knew this place wasn't home, that the darkness felt different. Surely, you would rather have gone back and sought a way home in Hyrule?'

As he spoke, he rummaged around in his pack, setting various items on the table between them. He was carrying a lot of supplies, but eventually he started to stuff his food, his drinking water, and his healing potions back into his pack, leaving only an ink pot, quill, and notebook on the table. Picking up the notebook, he started flipping through the pages to where he had left off with his research. Still, as he put it back down, he looked at Fion, having given the Twili enough time to think about his answer.
  10. Squishy

'I'm... not sure.' While Fion with absolute certainty he had wanted to come here in the beginning, he was not quite sure why. 'The dark. It called to me. Thought it was home.' That he had been bitterly disappointed he did not need to add. The Twili shifted in his seat. But was home really the only thing he had been looking for? He struggled to put his thoughts into words, staring at the table as she spoke.

'I feel like I'm missing something. Don't know what.' Fion pressed a hand to his chest. 'Empty. Weird. I don't... understand.' He frowned. This was hard to explain, even in his own language. 'It wasn't home, but...' A sigh. 'I felt I might find something here. Don't know.'

The more he thought about it, the less the Twili knew. Something was missing from him. Something other than home. He could not help but feel like he lost more than just home when he came here, almost as if he lost a part of himself.
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Triton pulled the book a little closer to him in order to read Fion's words better, furrowing his brow. Hmmmmm... 'I will admit, I sense something about you that my brethren do not have. When I first called out to you, that was because you radiate some sort of power that I only recognised as fundamentally different from my own.' He shook his head. 'I'm sorry, that isn't helping. Is it possible that when you left the Twilight Realm, a part of you remained behind? People who undergo traumatic experiences often suffer partial to complete amnesia, as their minds attempt to block out the trauma so they won't have to re-live it. Might something similar have happened to you?'

He tapped on the table with his quill, still thinking. Fion was missing something he could not describe. He couldn't recall the literature saying anything about cases like that. Then again, he hadn't read much on Twili to begin with; there wasn't much research available on them. He could only make guesses based on the theory that Twili had evolved from Hylians thrust out of Hyrule and into the Twilight Realm; this meant that on a base level, they had to function the same. He looked down, starting to scribble to test his quill as he pondered the child's dilemma.
  12. Squishy

Fion pondered Triton's questions in silence. It was true that everything around his sudden disappearance was a total mystery to him. All he knew that the one moment he was still in the Twilight Realm, and the next he woke up in a forest, all alone. Who knew what had happened in the meantime? Or how he had even managed to cross between worlds? But other than that, he remembered everything just fine. His home, his family, his abilities... Or did he? The more he thought about it, the more unsure he grew. He was too tired for this. Fion blinked, letting out a deep sigh.

'Maybe.'

For now, he let the issue rest. The Twili was too tired to think of it, and running circles in his mind was not going to help him feel better. At least, not while they were not out of here. A yawn escaped him. Perhaps a nap was not a bad idea. All the tension, the running, the fighting, it had been exhausting.

He slumped over the table, head resting on his arms. The scratching of Triton's quill and the gentle swaying of the snake lulled him to sleep.
  13. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Triton watched as Fion fell asleep, and then shifted his attention back to his notebook. He re-read what he had written thus far, but he knew he'd started out all wrong. He had started work on a phantasmal creature through which he could send his senses. But the concept of the creature's free will, as well as a consciousness and how he would conjure it all up, posed an obstacle he could not overcome. It was possible, of course, some Summoners were very capable of these things. However, he was no summoner, and it would beat the entire point of the spell if he wasted that much power casting it.

He was going about this wrong. He had to start with his senses. Touch. Sight. Hearing. Smell. Somehow, he had to separate them from himself and pour them into a semi-physical form. And it had to be temporary; he did not want to risk permanently losing any of his senses. Storing impressions... could he do that? Maybe... but in order for there to be any impressions his senses would have to function even as he used them. He groaned. This was so much harder than the literature had made it out to be. Was it possible to split his senses, he wondered? To give one part to the separate form and keep the rest, himself? No, splitting was no use. He'd have to somehow duplicate it and then separate the two duplicates of each sense...

It felt like hours later that he finally underlined the last block of notes he had taken and rubbed his eyes. The theory was sound this time. He'd figured out a way it should be possible to do, but he was too tired to try and put it into practice. He closed his notebook, stowed it, the inkpot, and the quill into his pack, crossed his arms and hung his head, nodding off much like everyone else in their company.
  14. Squishy

As he slept, the Twili dreamt of large black buildings, glowing in the gentle twilight. He dreamt of home. Although he did not exactly remember the dream later, he did remember seeing the familiar faces of his family, of his friends. It was a good dream. A pleasant dream.

A dream rudely disturbed when the train screeched to a sudden halt.

The Twili yelped as he was thrown from his seat and slammed against the table. Judging from the surprised cries and cursing, the others had been woken up too. ...Had it gone dark? Fion blinked. No, a single light above them still flickered. Once. Then it became dark.

But the dark was quickly driven away by a glow from outside. A glow so bright it hurt Fion's eyes. He shielded himself with his arm, blinking rapidly. When he could finally see out the window, his mouth fell open.

The landscape outside had drastically changed.
  15. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Whoah!" Triton shouted in surprise as he was thrown out of his chair by the metal snake abruptly coming to a halt. Looking around, he saw his fellow Zoras scrambling to get up as well, looking as confused as he was. As he checked his belongings, he jolted up when a disembodied voice became audible.

We are terribly sorry, a woman's voice said in perfect Zoran, But due to an unforeseen technical issue, this train will not continue to its normal destination. You are advised to disembark and travel through the Underground District to the Core. This should add about a day to your estimated travel time.

Triton looked up, trying to find the source of the voice, but the female zoras in their company were as confused as he was. Meanwhile, he heard the doors of the metal snake open up. "Well..." he muttered, "Let's do as she says, I suppose... We're not going to get any closer to that Core by just sitting here." Waiting for the others to get up, he was the first to disembark, lowering himself out of the vehicle and helping the first warriors down as well.

The Underground District, as the voice had called their current location, was wildly different from the world above. As Triton looked up, he saw the same watery surface he had been looking down at. They were underwater, yet they were not swimming and they were breathing using their lungs... supporting the watery surface were countless beams of crystal and walls of reflective glass, and as Triton turned he looked at no less than three reflections of himself.

Navigating the Underground District would not be any easier than the inky blackness of the world above.
  16. Squishy

Twilight language? Here? Fion slapped open the book, but by the time he got to the right page Triton had already gotten up and moved to the door. So he had understood the announcement too? The underground district... And the core was mentioned. That was important. Was the snake supposed to bring them there?

As the other moved to leave the snake, Fion hurried after them. He did not want to be left behind in this place.

The light outside hurt his eyes, even more than it had inside the train. As dark as it had been before, was now light. And perhaps, this place was even stranger. Where there had been almost nothing in the reflective sea, you could say that down here was... well, everything. Or at least the reflections made it look that way. The walls, the pillars, everything reflected the small group. Only the sky did not. It made Fion dizzy. Wherever he looked, he saw a hundred other Twilis move at the same time, from all directions. And the light. The light was almost physically painful to him. There was simply too much of it.

Fion studied himself in his countless reflections, seeing a particularly haggard Twili staring back. He did not quite move here, fearing he would lose the others and not be able to find the originals back, only the reflections. Just to be safe, he reached out and grabbed on to Triton's sleeve.
  17. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Triton felt Fion grabbing onto his robes, looking down at him and putting a hand on his head. "It'll be alright," he said, although he wasn't sure. There were so many Zoras all over the place, it was beyond confusing. Thria had grabbed onto her head, not far from him, and a dozen of her reflections did the same. How was he to know which ones were his real companions and which were their reflections? And how was he supposed to know where to go?!

Maybe he could see more from above, he thought. It was fortunate that he had just concluded research on a spell that allowed him to do just that. He lifted his cane, focusing his energies and shutting his eyes. Slowly, energy started swirling in front of him and a semi-transparent creature started to form. Finally, when Triton opened his eyes again, a small, spectral cat with a thick, bushy tail and talon-like paws hovered in front of him. By his command, the creature flew up a little higher until it reached an apparent limit. Triton closed his eyes again, switching his point of sight to that of the Familiar.

The extra height helped a little. The walls were less disorienting and the floor offered no reflections were no Zoras were standing. He tried taking an unsure step forward. It was strange to see himself moving, but it worked- he saw himself moving towards a wall and started to turn. He opened his eyes again, leaving the Familiar unattended as he explained his idea. "I can see us from above," he said, gesturing to the spectral being. "I may be able to lead us out of this... maze... and towards the Core that way, it's slightly less disorienting. Unless anyone has a better idea..." Of course, walking would be tricky without his senses down here. Still, barring someone else having any idea or the Dowsing Rod helping them -something he doubted- it was the only way.
  18. Squishy

A hundred Fions opened a book, nodding at the translation of Triton's words. They started moving, slowly, as everyone held on to someone else. Fion still clutched Triton's robes, the other hand held out to avoid walking into walls. Even moving at such a slow pace, there was often a soft clink when someone bumped into the crystals around them, or weapons or armor scraped past.

To the Twili, being used to darkness, the light was blinding. Now they were surrounded by crystal, there was no escaping it. Fion squinted, but even that did not help him see any better, or make it any less painful. Seeing in darkness was no problem, but in such a bright light... He tugged on Triton's sleeve, suddenly halting.

When he was sure the other had stopped too, the Twili took out the book once more, rapidly flipping through the pages.

'The light hurts. Too bright. I can't see.'

He was still squinting when he waited for the translation, eyes watering from the bright light.
  19. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    This was... so incredibly disorienting. And uncomfortable. Wow. Triton wished he'd had a chance to practice this, instead of going for this baptism by fire. Still, it was the only choice they had, and if anything he had to be thankful he finished his research at all. It was hard to move his body without any feedback from his balance organ or feeling in his flippers, and determining which of his bodies to move took just that split second longer. He had to practice more so he could send out only his sight, he noted to himself, but now was not the time for that.

He saw Thria looking down at the Book of Mudora and saying something to Fion before taking his other hand. "...your eyes," he faintly heard. "Lead... hand." He floated his Familiar a little bit lower to stay within hearing range. That way he might at least be able to talk.

He jolted both his heads to the side when he heard a crash. The remaining other scholar had walked headlong into one of the walls, shattering it. Thria shouted that he had to be -careful-, damn it, and Triton watched as he regained his balance and kept walking. This wasn't working. He had to get back up to his upward limit and guide the others out of this maze. The Core was close by, he hoped. And with almost his entire consciousness detached from his body, he thought he could feel a pull... He looked into the distance, seeing only the reflection of his Familiar. But it was there. They were getting closer.
  20. Squishy

Part of Fion was glad when Thria took him by the hand to guide him. At least his eyes got a moment's rest, though the light still tickled, prickled against his skin. But now he was almost completely dependant on Thria or one of the others. He would not be able to see anything coming. The thought unnerved him, but he knew that if he kept his eyes open he would be completely blind in minutes. And there was no saying if he would get his sight back after that.

He squeezed Thria's hand when someone crashed into the crystal, or so he presumed. She muttered under her breath before shouting at the others. Fion sincerely hoped that whoever had walked into a wall had managed to grab on to someone again.

They had only made a few steps when one of the others cried out in shock. Fion twisted his head, eyes snapping open, fear winning over caution.

The void was starting to catch up with them. Where the train had been, was only blackness, slowly creeping up on them. Bit by bit, the crystals grew fainter, until they became dull and eventually lost to the void. It was going slow, but it became very clear that they could not afford to remain still.

The only way on was forward.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015