Subaccount Poll 2.0

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Bitoko, Oct 8, 2013.

?

Subaccounts?

1. Optional

37.5%
  2. Completely Removed

62.5%
  1. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Here is the second poll on subaccounts. At this point, they are either going to be optional or completely gone because with at least half of the members not wanting them. So here is your vote, which would you prefer? Please support your vote with sound reasoning.
  2. Fates End

Fates End Escaped Experiment new

So when I first joined this site a week or two back, Ribitta was telling me all about it. And, I think like a lot of new rp'ers to the site, I was very much in the "This is incredibly complicated" camp. And when I first heard about sub-accounts. I thought "more complication". But then, my mind started to bounce around all the good that could be done with them.

Tracking by and assisting the staff is in itself at least one good reason to have it.

But from an rp perspective, I quickly warmed and came to love the idea. It allows a touch of personalization. You can personalize their signatures to better reflect the character. You can update your character's status, if you want. I plan on rp'ing some snark and maybe some extra, (unnecessary but oh so fun) character growth into them via their status updates. Thus, if someone ever comes across the profile and gives it a look, they might just get a deeper glimpse, a growing glimpse, into who that character is and how they're progressing through life in the rp.

They're easy to use, allow avatars for each character you have. And despite what I originally thought, blasted easy to post with, even with two (or more) characters in the same thread.

I strongly, strongly hope these remain on the site, at least as optional. They allow for more story. And that's always a plus in my book.
  3. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

The big issue (and actually basically the only one) with making them optional is that RPs are going to look, and likely be, very messy. As there will be people who want to use the system RPing with those that don't, so you will have vastly different appearances in those accounts posting; some will have only the information relating to the single character they are using, others will have a irrelevant username and picture along with a list of characters in their sig. only one or two of which are likely to be relevant

Pile this on to the ways people might use the sub-accounts (posting several replies with alternating sub-accounts, one post under the sub-account for the character most relevant in that post, or others) along with the switch in writing styles from the almost universal third-person now, to first-person that is likely to be more popular with the sub-accounters and the constant alternations between the two may make the posts confusing and/or a headache to read.

If these issues are dealt with or turn out to be non-issues, then I have no problem leaving them as optional. Until then, I abstain from voting.

PS: most of this is speculation and it all could turn out to be false.
  4. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

I love sub-accounts. I've experienced them on another RP site, and I know that they can be really cool. For all the reasons Fate's End already said; I think they'd be really good for the site to have. Plus, I just like having them. I'm not going to write an essay on why I like sub-accounts, because, well, I've already done that in other threads. XD

However, if it's a choice between optional or removed, I'm going to have to go with removed. I mean, Raz is right: it would look really messy if only part of the site uses them. I'm voting for removal, and I can only hope that at some point down the line, the drama that shot sub-accounts down will be so far behind us that we can seriously consider implementing them again. Until then, though....
  5. darklink28

darklink28 Somewhere in Hyrule reg

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    I understand asking members how they feel, but the first poll was pretty even (9-8), and this one 4-5, and I don't feel like this is a good idea for a deciding factor. Yes it shows people are a bit split. But like Quill has stated numerous times, and Ribbs, there will be data available not previous available to staff and it can help enrich HC's RP and potential future add ons or different things they can do to improve the RP. I'll just be frank, I don't think removing them for sake of popular opinion, at this point, is a good idea. Two or three weeks after they were introduced, were there many major complaints? I just see this flip flopping as pointless.
    Quill likes this.
  6. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    From what I understood, sub-accounts were an all-or-nothing thing. So in line with that, I would say completely removed.

Additionally, DarkLink, you've said this many times: You don't RP. You haven't had to USE this system. Yes, you've set up a sub-account, but have to filled it in fully so it doesn't look tacky, ugly and unpolished? Have you had to post as it? Have you had to maintain it? As a non-RPer, there are sides to this that you don't see. This isn't just directed at you, I have the feeling several people who don't or barely RP have gotten involved in this.

As an active RPer, I HAVE brought up major complaints.
    Double_r111 and Bitoko like this.
  7. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Along the same lines as Raz said, this system does not work in any way with partial implementation. The appearance of it would be messy and disorganized, and as BP said, finding appropriate pictures and such for characters is an onnoyance and a half. For that reason, I vote to get rid of them fully. And... Quill, Iunno if you meant it how I read it, but I feel like you're saying with the end of your post that the people who opposed it weren't thinking maturely, or rationally or something, and were just in drama mode. I legitimately feel the system is more burden than payoff, so down the line, when all is said and done, I still oppose it.
  8. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

I have voted optional, while I do understand this will probably make things look slightly messier, I think that's the option that will make most people happy. Those who do want to keep the subaccounts can keep them and use them as they wish, those who don't want them don't have to, and there's always room to change your mind at a later time.
  9. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Probably should've voted earlier, sorry guys...

Voting for total removal for the sake of consistency.

It seems like things would be really chaotic and honestly I find it easier to see the master account directly rather than have to click through several things to find them. I get that it allows for greater characterization, but honestly, I've never felt as though it should come at the expense of ease of use. I have no actual rebuttal for the fact that the mods would be able to get more info out of it, but it seems like only allowing partial implementation would just make things ever worse, paradoxically.