String Shift

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Eevachu, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Name: String Shift

PWC: Normal/High Cost, Power

Description:

String Shift is a spell which can be used for offense, defense, or utility.

The user may cause any object held within their hand(s) to suddenly become limp, similar to a string or whip. Likewise, they may revert this effect with a second casting of String Shift as long as the object is within their hands, causing the held object to become as stiff as it was previously, in its new position as of the spell's casting. Although the object may bend at will while under this effect, it will still otherwise act as normal; Rough iron will still be rough iron, and tree bark will still be tree bark. Though there is no limit to what this spell can and cannot effect, the object must be able to be grasped within their hand(s), and not have more mass than the user. While a broom may be morphable using this ability, they could not, for instance, morph a small house.

Magical objects not under the ownership of the user, and perhaps some that are, will give resistance when casting is attempted on them, requiring the user to focus intently and fight with the object for dominance with each cast. Failure to establish dominance will result in mild harmful side effects to the caster, such as being dizzied or sickened for several seconds.

Morphed objects do not change back over time, and can only be fixed by either another casting of String Shift, whether it be by the same or a different caster, or by physically morphing the object back to its original form.

(Feel free to change the name if you think of a better name. I wasn't sure if "equal or less mass than user" wasn't enough or not, feel free to modify that or whatever else about it however you wish to make it more balanced)
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

(I would probably change it to no more than half the user's mass, but it's debatable anyway.)

There's one confusing point for me. I can imagine most implements becoming whip-like--swords, spears, canes, pencils--but how exactly would it affect something like a spherical boulder? Would the rock become rubbery and bouncy, or would it just become malleable like play-dough?

I like the overall idea, though. :tpr:
  3. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Half the user's mass sounds a-ok to me.

As for the other question, hmm. . . I'd say, since my intention wasn't for the objects to become rubbery/bouncy exactly, it'd be more of the latter. The object would become malleable, like play-dough as you said, to a certain extend. You could morph and bend it; Make curves in it, make it more like a disc, and so on. Though, unlike play-dough, the rock couldn't be torn apart, at least not anymore easily than it would normally(though probably a bit easier if the object was more spread out). I think the actual extent you should be able to take this should be limited though, since that both seems kind of OP and strays from the idea I had initially intended. Being able to say, morph the rock into a sword form is not what I had in mind, for example. I just don't want it to get too complicated. How exactly to limit it without getting too complicated, I'm not quite sure though. . .
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I can think of two possible options:
    - The object will easily bend and can stretch with little force (as from gravity), but will return to its original shape when not stressed.
    - The spell can only affect oblong objects, which are at least five times tall as they are wide.
  5. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

I was thinking about it, and I thought of your mention of "rubber" too literally. Sorry, I haven't slept in a while.

That is a good example, on second thought, it would be similar to rubber in terms of morphability and such, but it wouldn't actually have the properties of rubber; It wouldn't resist electricity, it wouldn't have any added bounce, and so on.

I mean, in terms of morphability, a whip and rubber are pretty similar, so I think it fits well as an example. Do you think that'd work fine?

--

As an add-on, as a potential augment, perhaps something to allow only partial effectiveness? So, instead of making an entire sword change, it could only effect, say, the upper half of the blade. Same rules would apply otherwise. A description for it;

The user can gain the [name] augment simultaneously with the original treasure for an additional cost, or as a separate treasure at a later time. A user with this augment can, when casting this spell, choose to only effect certain locations on the targeted object, instead of the object in its entirety.

I'm thinking probably a flat 10, maybe 15 rupee cost for the augment? Don't really see why it'd be assigned to a PWC.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Along with touching up a bit on some wording, I have altered it to fit these new clauses.

--

String Shift is a spell which can be used for offense, defense, or utility.

The user may cause any object held within their hand(s) to suddenly become lithe and flexible, similar to the of string, whip, or rubber. The object will bend and stretch to a certain degree depending on its size and thickness, but generally will not be completely limp. They may at any time revert this effect with a second casting of String Shift, so long as the object is within their hands, causing the held object to become as stiff as it was previously, but in its new position as of the spell's casting. Although the affected object may bend at will while under this effect, it will still otherwise act as normal; Rough iron will still be rough iron, and tree bark will still be tree bark. Though there is no limit to what this spell can and cannot effect, the object must be able to be grasped within their hand(s), and not have more than half the mass of the user. While a broom may be morphable using this ability, they could not, for instance, morph a small house.

Along with this, objects that are wider or thicker than they are long, while not unaffected, tend to act slightly differently. Although they can bend and contort like the typically effected object, the degree to which they can be affected is vastly less due to their shape. Although it varies between objects, generally those that are more long than anything else or possess numerous long parts, such as a broom, a sword, or a chair, are more easily affected than something such as a small boulder.

The user may not effect objects under the ownership of another being without the corresponding augment or their express consent. Magical objects not under the ownership of the user, and perhaps some that are, will give resistance when casting is attempted on them, requiring the user to focus intently and fight with the object for dominance with each cast. Failure to establish dominance will result in mild harmful side effects to the caster, such as being dizzied or sickened for several seconds.

Morphed objects do not change back over time, and can only be fixed by either another casting of String Shift, whether it be by the same or a different caster, or by physically morphing the object back to its original form.
    --
    And the augment, which I named Point Flex but name it whatever you want;

The user can gain the Point Flex augment simultaneously with the original treasure for an additional cost, or as a separate treasure at a later time. A user with this augment can, when casting this spell, choose to only affect certain locations on the targeted object, instead of the object in its entirety.
    --
    Spell Selection Augment;

The user can gain the Spell Selection augment simultaneously with the original treasure for an additional cost, or as a separate treasure at a later time. A user with this augment can effect objects under the ownership of another being, regardless of whether they give consent. All of the other normal rules still apply.
    --

I'd still say 10r for the augment, and normal or high cost for the treasure. Is that okay, or are there still any issues or questions with it?

Edit: As for fields. . .

Force maybe?, Enchant, WeaponBase
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin