Static Sheath

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by WillowtheWhisp, Mar 1, 2013.

1. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Name: Static Sheath (This is flexible, and more than certainly up to you guys; I tried to think of something better, but I could not. )
    P/W/C Type: Wisdom
    Appearance: This ability coats a specific item or weapon in a coating of electrical arcs, usually yellow, white, or bright blue in appearance.
    Description of Function: Electric Aura is a prerequisite of this treasure, and therefore so is Electric Specialty, or some kind of Zora Race. This, functionally, is the same as any of the Enchantments. That said, considering its requirement of Electric Specialty or Zora race, it should probably be either more powerful, or be cheaper than the enchantments in price. Examples of scaling in power could be the allowance of repeated uses (which is gained at Wisdom 5 for other enchantments) to be at perhaps Wisdom 4. Alternatively, it could also increase the number of uses of Electric Aura.
    Limitations: Obviously, the pre-requisites are a limitation to this treasure. Also, seeing as Electric Aura has a limited amount of uses per day, and also drains their magic and stamina completely, Electric Aura uses and Static Sheath uses should be limited per thread. i.e., Static Sheath (and other magical abilities) cannot be used after Electric Aura has been used, and using Static Sheath will reduce the length of one's Electric Aura.
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

You've got a lot going on in this paragraph. Lengthy baggage aside, what's the functioning difference between this and Shock Enchantment?
  3. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Functionally it's not all that different, in terms of the provided effect. But I wanted a way to improve Electric Aura, without having to change Electric Aura; I feel like some of the racials aren't terribly strong, and this was a way of helping it a long. It just so happens that this particular enhancement is similar to Shock enchantment. That said, this treasure can be used on things that are not considered weapons; armor, objects, etc. Obviously this needs more fleshing out before it would be ready as a treasure.

But of all four of my treasure submissions, is this is definitely the weakest of them. I do understand that there is redundancy here with Shock Enchantment, and if you guys feel that this is unnecessary, that is fine.
  4. Quill

There is redundancy, but I like the idea of improving racials. I just think that it should be more unique. You've still got some days left to post a new thread, but if you'd like to make changes to Static Sheathe in order to differentiate it from Shock Enchantment, you can. Racials aren't that strong, you're right, and this would be a good first step in improving them.

So, unless Ribs/RD feels differently, I think that this atm won't pass. Will, you can post a new thread and move this to the Unaccepted or you can reply to this with changes to SS.
  5. WillowtheWhisp

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    So, Tsubori and I did a bit of brainstorming, and came up with a few potential changes/additions to this.

1) Static Sheath can be applied to a large object (including the ground), to cover a predetermined distance. i.e., a patch of ground could be made to be electrified for a time.

2) Static Sheath allows Electric Aura to be used remotely on a piece of metal, granted the user is in contact with said metal. This will have certain bounds, dictated by sight, and distance. i.e., if the entire floor of a room is metal, and someone with static sheath and electric aura so chooses, they could generate their electric aura anywhere along that metal floor, so long as it is within x distance, and they can see that area.

3) Static Sheath can be used to give a metal object magnetic properties, which could potentially be used in tandem with other treasures like Magnetic Gloves and Boots.
  6. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

I think 1 and 3 should be viable. For the second one, it would make the most sense (to me) for that to be an addition to Electric Aura with a "If the user has Static Sheath" and so on. As it stands, there is still some overlap to with Shock Enchantment, but I think this can be it's own thing. I might rename it something like "Electric Field" or something.

I can see this going one of two ways, for usage. Either you can have it active sustained by the caster, or you could make this like Shock Enchantment, which expels all the energy once contact is actually made. Probably the same could apply to the magnetic effect. Preferences?
  7. Quill

My biggest thing with 1 is that that would override Electric Trap, which basically electrifies a small portion of ground. Perhaps an improvement, like with Electric Aura: 'if user possesses "Electric Trap"' or in Electric Trap 'if user possesses Static Sheathe" (or maybe say it in both) then a large object (including the ground) could be electrified up to a certain distance. Thoughts?